Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/3/2015 9:49:28 AM EDT
Maybe a silly question but I wondering if anyone has any numbers on the furthest confirmed kill with a standard issue M4?
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 10:49:31 AM EDT
[#1]
this needs  to be in GD
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 12:07:51 PM EDT
[#2]
On Army ranges, pop ups get killed at 300M on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 12:09:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View Quote

500m for the branches that can shoot
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 12:46:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I bang the gong with my M4 at 500Y.  No sand bags or bipod.  4x scope.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 4:32:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/31/2014 7:33:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

The standard qualification for the ARMY is 300M for stand alone targets but we always shot out to 600M every time we went to the range for pop-up target qualification!

At least way back when I was in the ARMY! Never had a problem hitting the pop-up targets at 600M! Oh yea, that's with iron sites too!

Link Posted: 12/31/2014 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I bang the gong with my M4 at 500Y.  No sand bags or bipod.  4x scope.  
View Quote

I wouldn't even be able to see the gong at that distance. Maybe with a 12x scope
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 8:06:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Confirmed Kills....
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 8:29:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I shot a armadillo at 25 yards at night. Does that count?
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 1:25:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Hitting pop ups at 800m with an acog was easy enough.  Ild be impressed with anything even half that distance on a moving shooting and cover utilizing enemy.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 1:12:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Only if it is confirmed.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 9:49:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 9:52:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Whats a confirmed kill?
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 9:55:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hitting pop ups at 800m with an acog was easy enough.  Ild be impressed with anything even half that distance on a moving shooting and cover utilizing enemy.
View Quote

I know of 740 meter hit that caused the death of a Taliban with BLT 1/6 in 04 with an M4.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 9:55:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Whats a confirmed kill?
View Quote

A movie-ism.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 9:56:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The standard qualification for the ARMY is 300M for stand alone targets but we always shot out to 600M every time we went to the range for pop-up target qualification!

At least way back when I was in the ARMY! Never had a problem hitting the pop-up targets at 600M! Oh yea, that's with iron sites too!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At Benning in the early 80's the farthest pop up was 300meters but the Army had a new qualification course set up.

Mobile pop up (Russian soldier holding AK47's) targets from 10m to 300m.  We got 90 rounds and had to make 45 hits.  Semi or auto with the M16A1.

Each impact scored a hit.  One guy went Rock and Roll on the 10m target for 28 hits.  Lol

Is the range still around?
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 10:02:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Was it in a high wind?
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

At Benning in the early 80's the farthest pop up was 300meters but the Army had a new qualification course set up.

Mobile pop up (Russian soldier holding AK47's) targets from 10m to 300m.  We got 90 rounds and had to make 45 hits.  Semi or auto with the M16A1.

Each impact scored a hit.  One guy went Rock and Roll on the 10m target for 28 hits.  Lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is. That range is fun and hell. When my unit was testing the LSAT, we went there with 25,000 rounds, 8 guns and 10 shooters. They had every target on the field up and running as a free-fire zone. It was glorious.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 10:12:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I know of 740 meter hit that caused the death of a Taliban with BLT 1/6 in 04 with an M4.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was it the bacon or tomato that got him? How does one launch a sandwich fast enought to kill some one?
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 10:12:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 10:13:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It is. That range is fun and hell. When my unit was testing the LSAT, we went there with 25,000 rounds, 8 guns and 10 shooters. They had every target on the field up and running as a free-fire zone. It was glorious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perfect ratio for a great time.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 10:17:39 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
A movie-ism.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Whats a confirmed kill?

A movie-ism.

More like an anachronism.  They literally did body counts in Vietnam and reported enemy kills as probables and confirmed.

Under Westmorland it was a key metric for measuring progress in the war.

Link Posted: 1/3/2015 10:22:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

How was that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When my unit was testing the LSAT

How was that?

I keep saying I'm going to find my photos and start a thread all about the LSAT but then life gets in the way and I forget. I'm going to find them tonight after work and finally do it, so keep an eye out.

In short, it's awesome and will be the next SAW for the military. They're even working on an M4 upper that uses the same ammo, and a 7.62 version. From what the tech guys told me, I have more rounds through the LSAT than anyone on earth outside of the design team. I spent about 8 months in total testing it, with over 200,000 rounds between blank and live.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 10:23:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

More like an anachronism.  They literally did body counts in Vietnam and reported enemy kills as probables and confirmed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whats a confirmed kill?

A movie-ism.

We still do it as part of BDA, even taught to forwards observers as the S (surveillance) in RREMS.   However we don't call confirmed kills.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 10:23:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 10:25:23 AM EDT
[#27]
about 25m, it loses FPS and ballistic potential after that and can't inflict fatal wounds.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#28]
I dunno but an A2 got a 600 yd counter sniper kill in Panama
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 10:28:05 AM EDT
[#29]
I leaned out the window of my T16 back home and got a whomp rat once....
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 10:30:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Things have changed over the years.
Back in the day we qualified on pop up targets from 50-300m.
Anything at 600m was considered area fire.
This was 87-91 with M16a2.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 10:31:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And 2010.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 10:33:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

And 2010.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And 2010.

That was with 22 MEU and verified with a PTS-180 Viper.

Your BLT killed more people than when 22 MEU did 4 years prior.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 10:33:16 AM EDT
[#33]
"Confirmed kill" is a fucking hollywood bullshit thing that is made up. There is no such thing in the military.

Unless it's just a informal "Hey my buddy saw me shoot my rifle and watched my bullet drop a bad guy" kind of thing. I want to kick puppies when people ask about "what's the longest confirmed killed?".

Link Posted: 1/3/2015 10:34:26 AM EDT
[#34]
238,854.98 miles.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 10:34:35 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Maybe a silly question but I wondering if anyone has any numbers on the furthest confirmed kill with a standard issue M4?
View Quote

Soldiers and Marines in combat don't really spend a lot of time "confirming" kills or precisely measuring off distances when they are sure they (and they alone) shot someone.

There's no Boone and Crockett Club.

Any claim would be a claim. "Gee Joe, that guy shooting had to be 750 meters away when you fired that single shot that apparently killed him while all the rest of us just sat on our hands, unsure of what to do! I'm glad the whole convoy didn't unload on him with SAWs, machine guns, grenade launchers and massed rifle fire so you get that record!"
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 10:34:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 10:56:55 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Soldiers and Marines in combat don't really spend a lot of time "confirming" kills or precisely measuring off distances when they are sure they (and they alone) shot someone.

Any claim would be a claim. "Gee Joe, that guy shooting had to be 750 meters away when you fired that single shot that apparently killed him while all the rest of us just sat on our hands, unsure of what to do! I'm glad the whole convoy didn't unload on him with SAWs, machine guns, grenade launchers and massed rifle fire so you get that record!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I really LOL'd at that.

Because I get that question all the freaking time, they ask if I killled anyone. Ugh. Okay, yes I did fire my rifle, but several other guys were shooting too. It's not like a movie where you are the only one shooting and you watch the guy down when you press the trigger. I have no clue if people who died were a result of my bullets because several other guys were getting all trigger happy at the same time as me.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 11:00:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Love the idea of some Joe actually pacing off the distance to the corpse!

You know how they say there are no stupid questions?  They lied.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 11:02:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you look in the green all weather confirmed kill notebook you will see that I, yes yours truly has the longest M4 kill @ 87 yards
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

When my unit was testing the LSAT
View Quote

I'm picturing a battalion of law students.

ETA: First year.

Link Posted: 1/3/2015 11:05:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
"Confirmed kill" is a fucking hollywood bullshit thing that is made up. There is no such thing in the military.

Unless it's just a informal "Hey my buddy saw me shoot my rifle and watched my bullet drop a bad guy" kind of thing. I want to kick puppies when people ask about "what's the longest confirmed killed?".

View Quote

So what is the official military wording?

Chris Kyle is the deadliest sniper in American history.  How would they know that unless they confirmed his kills?
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 11:06:22 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Chris Kyle is the deadliest sniper in American history.  How would they know that unless they confirmed his kills?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He was selling a damn book.

And alot of his shit is nebulous and sketchy.

ETA: And his fellow SEALs aren't going to call him out and a liar. Why? Because he's a real SEAL and his stories just add further mystique and legendary status to them. So it's a win/win for them.

Link Posted: 1/3/2015 11:09:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As stated you still send up a BDA which I am sure is much easier for snipers as they usually have specific targets especially where he worked. Much harder to "confirm" kills in a firefight where people may be seriously wounded and get away but later die or if. Things get real nasty you just estimate the BDA and Continue your mission or fall back, which gets been more complicated of you have your own people wounded or killed. Once that happens the entire mission changes and no one gives a fuck about how many enemy were killed.

So. TL:DR kills are SOMETIMES counted if the terrain/situation allows but 8/10. They aren't.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 11:17:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

ETA: And his fellow SEALs aren't going to call him out and a liar. Why? Because he's a real SEAL and his stories just add further mystique and legendary status to them. So it's a win/win for them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The same with Carlos Hathcock?  You'd be suprised at what a modern sniper/ DM carry on them such as a lazor range finder and shit like that.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 11:21:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

I call BS.... We all know a .223 will bounce off the shell of an armadillo like a .38 special bounces off a windshield...

Seriously, armadillos are crazy little fuckers. Shot at one and it jumped 3 feet in the air straight up. Turns out it is a defense mechanism. Who would have guessed it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 11:23:17 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

The same with Carlos Hathcock?  You'd be suprised at what a modern sniper/ DM carry on them such as a lazor range finder and shit like that.
View Quote

Yeah? We had a MELIOS for ranging sectors of fire. We didn't have a "confirmed kill" column on our range cards.

Link Posted: 1/3/2015 11:24:14 AM EDT
[#47]
My buddy in the USMC got a kill at 800.  They were able to get the dude and run him in bats too.
M4 with rco and m855...  upper torso lung/ spine hit.
I was impressed.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I really LOL'd at that.

Because I get that question all the freaking time, they ask if I killled anyone. Ugh. Okay, yes I did fire my rifle, but several other guys were shooting too. It's not like a movie where you are the only one shooting and you watch the guy down when you press the trigger. I have no clue if people who died were a result of my bullets because several other guys were getting all trigger happy at the same time as me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really LOL'd at that.

I guess I'll never get the part about people asking .mil guys if they killed someone. I know lots of .mil guys and that's the one question I've never asked. Asked tons of others but not that one.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 11:30:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There really is not other than X KIA or estimated X KIA, X WIA
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 11:33:58 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I guess I'll never get the part about people asking .mil guys if they killed someone. I know lots of .mil guys and that's the one question I've never asked. Asked tons of others but not that one.

View Quote

I don't like talking to civilians about my military experience. In fact, my co-workers only found out that I was in the Army and in Iraq twice because my boss told them. Otherwise I'd of not said a God damn thing.

Otherwise, if I'm with BTDT guys, I'll not feel shy at all about talking about any of my experiences. I guess it's one of those things that unless you've been "bloodied", you're not part of the fraternity type thing. And plus, I just feel like it's trying to explain color to a blind man.

I think this clip has always summed it up best for me I guess.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top