Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2015 10:29:19 PM EDT
Anybody have one.

I am looking for reviews.

HF has them on sale normally  $599 on sale for $499 and a super coupon 20% off means you can get it for $399.

Looking to make small parts.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:32:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag.

I want to know more too.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:38:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have one but was thinking about getting one a few years ago. There are a lot of web sites about them. Lots of tips on how to "tune" them up and get decent accuracy out of them. They're no SouthBend, but are great for making small parts if you have limited room.

Google Varmit Al. He has a section on his website devoted to them.

ETA: Heres a link:http://www.varmintal.com/alath.htm

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:38:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I like HF...  but I would not buy a metal lathe from them.

eta:  Cruise craigslist for a used logan or Clausing or something.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:39:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm really tempted to get one to make some parts for form 1 suppressors.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:39:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I like my mini mill from them.

What don't you like?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:39:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't have one but was thinking about getting one a few years ago. There are a lot of web sites about them. Lots of tips on how to "tune" them up and get decent accuracy out of them. They're no SouthBend, but are great for making small parts if you have limited room.
Google Varmit Al. He has a section on his website devoted to them.
View Quote

thanks
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:40:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Added link above.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:41:26 PM EDT
[#8]
This one OP?

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-inch-x-10-inch-precision-mini-lathe-93212.html

I would also like to hear if anyone has experience with one.

Edit
Fixed link.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:42:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What don't you like?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What don't you like?

I don't own one, so I can't be specific, but the ones I've seen in the stores had alot of play.  I didn't stand there and adjust gibs or anything tho.  Maybe they do well with adjustment.

I went with a used craftsman (atlas) commercial.  It's an old budget lathe, so it isn't the heaviest of duty lathes, but it does turn out accurate parts if you pay attention to detail and don't try to make it do things too fast or too deep.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:49:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This one OP?

http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe/versions/Red_lathe_y.jpg

View Quote

yes that is it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:01:46 PM EDT
[#11]
This will lead to heartache and dissapointment.

No. Just no.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:12:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I was going to suggest the 7"x12" Grizzly mini lathe, but looking at the picture of one, it looks identical, just painted green instead of red.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:14:29 PM EDT
[#13]
In before the Hazard Fraught pics.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:30:02 PM EDT
[#14]
For comparison I have a grizzly 4016.  Paid around $5g for it.  You could get away with making some light cuts on steel....but all in all its a low quality pos.  I've owned bench tops before.  Useless unless you plan on making half
assed brass bushings or plastic trinkets imo
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:32:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I have one. They take a little work to make them really precise. The are a lot of mods out there for them. I have used mine alot to make small parts. If you use the factory tool post, they use a metric size tool. So to use a standard 5/16 tools they will have to be shimed. I use blades from a feeler gauge that I took apart. Mini Machine Shop has quick change tool posts for them. They can do standard or metric threading.

Another good website is mini-lathe.com. He has alot of info on these.

The Harbor Freight mini-lathe is made by Sieg in China. They also make the lathes for Grizzly, Northern Tool, Cummins Tools, and Enco.

Here are a few things I dislike about mine:

The cross slide had alot of backlash. There is a mod to lessen it, but I have not done it yet.

I wish the bed was longer with the tail stock on with a live center you only have about eight inches of useable length.

The bore through the headstock is only 3/4 inch but it can be reamed out larger. (See Varmit Al's site).

Also be prepared to spend about another $100-$200 on tooling, drill chuck for tail stock, face plate, four jaw chuck, dial indicators, etc.

Overall I am very satisfied with mine even with it's short-comings.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:32:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Buy a real Lathe used
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:33:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was going to suggest the 7"x12" Grizzly mini lathe, but looking at the picture of one, it looks identical, just painted green instead of red.

https://d27ewrs9ow50op.cloudfront.net/pics/jpeg1000/g/g8688-25c9ba605b6f4c07cdf61b99e221c1ae.jpg
View Quote

The mini machine tools are all made by the same place, then sold by several companies for a variety of prices.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:35:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:38:22 PM EDT
[#19]
If you are going to make small parts then I would look at the Sherline bench models. More money but much better quality than the Chinese. If you have the room a used full size lathe would be the way to go. The Southbend 9" lathes are a good home lathe and there are a lot of used ones out there.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:54:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Take a look at the display model in the store. I was able to take off a cover piece on the left side to expose the gears. The gears are made of polymer. That's a turn off for me.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:51:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The mini machine tools are all made by the same place, then sold by several companies for a variety of prices.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://d27ewrs9ow50op.cloudfront.net/pics/jpeg1000/g/g8688-25c9ba605b6f4c07cdf61b99e221c1ae.jpg

I see that now. I guess I could've bought my last live center at HF for $6, instead of the $12 I sent to Grizzly.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:38:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Had one.  Stripped the belt almost immediately.  Hf could not replace it quickly, like a month bo.  Polymer gears.  Lots of backlash.  Could not rely on dials for accurate cuts.  Had to take a cut and measure.  

Only made a few simple parts.  Sold it and got a real lathe.

If you do get one do not try to use carbides.  Not enough torque.  Use good sharp hss cutters.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:51:09 AM EDT
[#23]
i have the 7x10 got it off craigslist a couple years ago. Traded a 1/10 oz gold coin for it.

It had a lot of accessories with it.

i would go with bigger lathe after putting part on and tailstock on there is much room left.

If i remember right i can only get a 5/8 stock to go all the way thru the chuck. I know 3/4 will not pass thru.

You will want to upgrade the tool post holder first.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:12:31 AM EDT
[#24]
You are just wasting your money. I had a Jet small lathe and it got used once or twice before showing it's colors. I have a decent old Logan in the garage. It needs cleaning and reassembling. I use an older Southbend in the shop. Look for a name brand used lathe. These things are just junk disguised as tools.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:18:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This one OP?

http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe/versions/Red_lathe_y.jpg

View Quote

How do you manage to post an image yet fail to make a link hot?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:36:48 AM EDT
[#26]
I got a 7x12 speedway series a while ago for 350 from www.homier.com (i dont think they sell it anymore)

after using a real lathe trying to make anything on it is a pain in the ass. If you have never use a lathe before you're fucked.

That being said, first day I made a run of parts on it I made $600. generally I make $500  on a Saturday working slow and listening to music. (read as machining for fun vs work) roughly %75 is what I pocket after materials, tooling, and shipping. plus I always end up with extra materials and tooling for the next job.

It has afforded me to get more tooling, a mini-mill and a horizontal band saw among other things but it is still a pain in the ass to work on.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:27:31 AM EDT
[#27]
I've got one of the 9X20 models. I have been able to cut single point threads after learning the machine. It is large enough to thread rifle barrels which I don't think I could do on the smaller models.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:35:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:35:46 AM EDT
[#29]
The Chinese table top lathes are capable machines if you use them within their limitations. The HF and Grizzly lathes are made by Sieg in China. The Grizzle is a little longer and comes with more tooling.

I have a Big Dog Metal Works 7x14 lathe, which is made by Real Bull. IMO it's a little nicer than the Sieg lathes.

I'd love to have a larger unit but don't have the space. If I need to work on something larger than what the mini lathe will handle I can use a friend's 1950s vintage Sheldon.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:41:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Anybody have one.

I am looking for reviews.

HF has them on sale normally  $599 on sale for $499 and a super coupon 20% off means you can get it for $399.

Looking to make small parts.
View Quote

They're so small you're limited in what you can do with them. Mine ceased to be fun fairly quick. I did learn I wanted a better lathe, though and it was replaced with a 12x36.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#31]
OP I've had one for about 3 years now and I've put it thru hell. It excels in soft metals and plastic. For steel and stainless it does pretty good and long as you have SHARP TOOLS. I've overloaded mine a number of times working steel but always bounces back. Remove the plastic head guard and toss. Tool holder is a little pain and they make a better one if you want to purchase. I've made several guide rods for the pistols to replace the plastic junk, opened fittings but I suck trying to make threads. Fun machine to have around. Takes up little bench room.

Look up "The Little Machine Shop".....they will be your friend.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:49:43 AM EDT
[#32]
$30 more will get you a Taig.

http://www.positiveflow.com/taiglathe.htm
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:53:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm really tempted to get one to make some parts for form 1 suppressors.
View Quote

I bought one for this. Still in the crate. Hopefully set it up soon.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:56:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Link to info about my lathe, now that I'm on a PC instead of my iPad:

https://sites.google.com/site/davemarkowitzsmachineshop/machinery/big-dog-7x14-lathe

A couple things I've made on it:

Replacement front sight for my Crosman 2300T pistol.

Fire piston (not that i can get it to work).

Black powder mini signal mortar.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I fixed the link sorry!.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:06:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Check out these guys. http://littlemachineshop.com/default.php They sell upgrades and parts and tooling to make it better.
They also sell their own line that looks interesting.

I've been doing much research on both a late and mill. I am a watch maker and have a watchmakers lathe but it is small and I need something bigger to make some tooling.I also have some ideas for some sights and other firearm related toys.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:19:07 PM EDT
[#37]
I've been using my HF mini lathe for over 15 years. Check out Micro Mark they make a lot of upgrade stuff for these small lathes. I did the inch conversion on mine. I bought the quick change tool post and the collet kit for it. The new collet set up is even better.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I've been using my HF mini lathe for over 15 years. Check out Micro Mark they make a lot of upgrade stuff for these small lathes. I did the inch conversion on mine. I bought the quick change tool post and the collet kit for it. The new collet set up is even better.
View Quote
Could you like to the collett kit?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top