Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2015 5:39:34 PM EDT
Looking for a ~20 watt all-tube combo amp to use for practicing blues and rock. Doesn't need to be complicated; just one channel is fine. I would like to spend $600 or less. Any suggestions on what I should look at?
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 6:28:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a used Fender Blues Jr and do the BillM mods with a good speaker. Or build a tweed Deluxe - I built mine for under $500 (well, until I installed a $200+ Celestion blue alnico speaker, but WOW what a diff).

I got a Blues Jr for $250 on CL and fixed it up into a bad-ass little amp, with an upgraded output tranny and a good speaker. It is mostly for practice, but I have used it for small club gigs. Re-worked a couple of buddies' amps that wanted me to do theirs after they heard mine. I have a room full of vintage amps, tweeds, blackface, browns, Vox, and I still use this amp. It goes in the car for a back-up, or I can leave it at the practice space and no big deal if it gets ripped off. Main club gig amp is a tweed Deluxe and a "64 fender reverb unit. Bigger gig I use my Clark Tyger, or even bigger I add my Blackface Pro Reverb. I have a "58 tweed Twin Amp that will never leave the house - the holy grail.

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 6:40:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 6:41:11 PM EDT
[#3]
20 is a lot for just practice. 5 watts can get pretty loud
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh, I got that beat.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 6:49:31 PM EDT
[#5]

I liked my Peavey Classic 30 better than my Blues Jr. I think I paid $300 for it used. $600 gets you into some good used tube amps. Personally I don't like them but some people like the Egnater Tweaker or Rebel, Hughes & Kettner TubeMeister, Bugera, Acoustic, Marshall DSL, etc.

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 6:53:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a VOX AC-15. Solid amp, particularly when played clean.

If I buy another, it will probably be a Blackstar or Orange. I'm not a fan of how the Vox overdrives. The Blackstars and Orange I've played sound fucking great overdriven.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 6:57:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Mesa boogie mini rec.

20w all tube is a shitton of LOUD for practice. just saying.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Rectifier_Series/Mini_Rectifier_25/miniRectifier25.html
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 7:01:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a VOX AC-15. Solid amp, particularly when played clean.

If I buy another, it will probably be a Blackstar or Orange. I'm not a fan of how the Vox overdrives. The Blackstars and Orange I've played sound fucking great overdriven.
View Quote

I was going to recommend Blackstar or Orange.The Blackstars I've heard sound Fucking incredible!
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 7:02:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Orange OR15
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 7:04:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Orange OR15
View Quote

I will second this. You can hear some guitar and keys used with it on my bands album:

http://grel.bandcamp.com/album/red-sun-god-ep

I've graduated to the OR50 and a 2nd generation Fender Deluxe.

However, I also recommend the Fender G-Dec 3. I think it's the best modeling amp on the market AND it's the best practice amp with the plethora of features it boasts.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Looking for a ~20 watt all-tube combo amp to use for practicing blues and rock. Doesn't need to be complicated; just one channel is fine. I would like to spend $600 or less. Any suggestions on what I should look at?
View Quote

"Best" and "$600 or less" do not align.

Dr. Z makes some good lower wattage amps. A friend of mine has several, and I've been able to audition them at full volume.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 7:06:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Look for a used Mesa-Boogie Studio 22. They're solid amps that really rock if you push them hard. Plus they take well to pedals, so you can find tune your sound easily.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Mesa Boogie Mark V 25
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't remember the model but,I had a fender (my 2nd amp) that was the best sound (studio) I ever heard.

Since I started working again, I'm in Manhattan a few times a week. I'll make it a point to stop on 48th and see what they have to say. There's tons of vintage gear, even though the retailers are over-rated, pompous, assholes.

There may be a lucky find. I'll write down your criteria, and see what's what.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 7:11:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I liked my Peavey Classic 30 better than my Blundell). I think I paid $300 for it used. $600 gets you into some good used tube amps. Personally I don't like them but some people like the Egnater Tweaker or Rebel, Hughes & Kettner TubeMeister, Bugera, Acoustic, Marshall DSL, etc.

View Quote

Used Peavey Classic 30 or better yet Delta Blues 210 with a speaker and tube upgrade can be done (well) under 6 bills.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 7:15:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Around the house 5-10 watts can be plenty loud. A champ or Princeton would be a good place to start.

What type of music do you typically play?
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 7:17:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Used Peavey Classic 30 or better yet Delta Blues 210 with a speaker and tube upgrade can be done (well) under 6 bills.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I liked my Peavey Classic 30 better than my Blundell). I think I paid $300 for it used. $600 gets you into some good used tube amps. Personally I don't like them but some people like the Egnater Tweaker or Rebel, Hughes & Kettner TubeMeister, Bugera, Acoustic, Marshall DSL, etc.

The Peavey Classic 50 has some great circuit mods out there on the interweb. The 30 probably does too.

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 7:19:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 7:21:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Always liked Fender amps/combos for bluesy stuff.

I'm not a tube fanatic but I understand the draw. I prefer to get my tones from a box.

I played through one of these when looking for a practice amp for the boy. It offered a lot of bang for the buck. Sounded very nice. Had plenty of guts. The modelers weren't as cheesy/flat as some I've heard built in to amps.

Fender Super Champ 15w 1x10
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 7:21:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Marshall Class 5 with a tube screamer to kick it in the ass.

5 watts is plenty for practice and that Marshall is a LOUD 5 watter.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 7:23:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Around the house 5-10 watts can be plenty loud. A champ or Princeton would be a good place to start.

View Quote

I've got a Princeton. That's what I was gonna suggest.

Have you seen the PRICES on them. Might as well put a little more and get a twin.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 7:26:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I bought a '62 Fender Bassman years back, got it home, plugged it in, played a few minutes, unplugged it and haven't used it since.

WAY too loud.

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Get a used Fender Blues Jr and do the BillM mods with a good speaker. Or build a tweed Deluxe - I built mine for under $500 (well, until I installed a $200+ Celestion blue alnico speaker, but WOW what a diff).

I got a Blues Jr for $250 on CL and fixed it up into a bad-ass little amp, with an upgraded output tranny and a good speaker. It is mostly for practice, but I have used it for small club gigs. Re-worked a couple of buddies' amps that wanted me to do theirs after they heard mine. I have a room full of vintage amps, tweeds, blackface, browns, Vox, and I still use this amp. It goes in the car for a back-up, or I can leave it at the practice space and no big deal if it gets ripped off. Main club gig amp is a tweed Deluxe and a "64 fender reverb unit. Bigger gig I use my Clark Tyger, or even bigger I add my Blackface Pro Reverb. I have a "58 tweed Twin Amp that will never leave the house - the holy grail.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff156/loftusj/5e3/5e3_1.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff156/loftusj/5e3/5e3_2.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff156/loftusj/5e3/5e3_4.jpg
View Quote

If you don't mind me asking where did you get the parts to build your tweed deluxe?
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:30:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Look for a used Mesa-Boogie Studio 22. They're solid amps that really rock if you push them hard. Plus they take well to pedals, so you can find tune your sound easily.
View Quote

I'll second this.  I've got one and its the main amp that I keep in my home office and practice/learn new songs with.  It's almost too loud to be considered a practice amp though.

I've ran it through a Marshall 1960 4x12 cabinet before just messing around and it sounded really good that way too.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 11:41:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If you don't mind me asking where did you get the parts to build your tweed deluxe?
View Quote

I have been repairing and building amps for years so I have tons of carbon comp resistors, caps, switches, pots, etc. Board was from turretboards.com I think, trannies Allen, Mercury, Classic Tone, or vintage. Don't remember particulars on that amp but I am pretty sure the OT is Mercury or NOS Triad (good luck finding any of these). I got the chromed and silkscreened chassis from Mike Clark, he said it was scratched and a customer did not want it, and I got it for $20, but I can not find a scratch. Also the cab is a Clark second I toned and laquered myself, got it on ebay cheap. I like the Mallory 150 series poly caps, and electrolytics, well, you can't get the good old ones anymore; Sprague or F&T are OK.

My bud Jim Ransone who plays with the Breeze Kings let me borrow his vintage "57 for study and reverse engineering. He gigs that amp everywhere. I am the only person he lets work on it. I used to do a lot of amp work for Atl-area blues players but now I do not take new clients and only support friends.   am a far better tech than a player, and I am a half-decent player by all accounts, with tone few can touch. IMO YMMV RIP Sean Costello my old friend.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:09:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Where are you in TX, OP?

I have a friend that lives somewhere around Lubbock. He's a veteran turned electrical engineering student, and he was repairing and building amplifiers before he even left the Army.

He's built a few Fender Champ variants that sound excellent and have more than enough power for household jamming.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:35:22 AM EDT
[#27]
i built one of these

http://www.ax84.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top