Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2015 8:49:55 PM EDT
http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/air-space/strike/2015/01/21/northrop-6th-gen-fighter/22089857/

Northrop Grumman has stood up a pair of teams dedicated to developing a "sixth-generation" fighter for both the Navy and Air Force, years before the services intend to issue requests for information on potential replacements for current aircraft.

It's an aggressive move that Tom Vice, president of Northrop's aerospace division, hopes will pay off in a big way for his company.

"Northrop Grumman will compete for the next generation fighter," Vice flatly declared, noting that there is a program manager already leading a team of Northrop staffers on the program.

When asked whether he envisioned Northrop acting as a prime contractor on a future fighter, he added "of course."

The Navy's program is dubbed F/A-XX, while the Air Force's effort is known as F-X

Vice indicated that Northrop Grumman is looking at a supersonic, tailless airplane design as a potential solution, something he noted no one has ever done before.

"You don't see any supersonic airplanes today without tails," Vice said. "Why? It's really hard.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 8:52:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I hope they use vpn when their engineers work from home. Don't want to get a virus.

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:00:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Virus?
They'll be hacked by the Chinese in 87 seconds.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:00:24 PM EDT
[#3]
How about a 5th gen that actually works as intended?
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:01:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh good. Still haven't had an f18 shot down but yeah let's get the f35's replacement  ready for the fy 2020 budget.  

I mean it would really he nice  to just take 1 billion of those funds and get an improved carbine/rifle/round even if it's not leaps and bounds better than a colt.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe it won't come with the cost overruns and delays that the F-22 and F-35 have. I'm not saying Lockheed isn't competent or entirely to blame.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:03:15 PM EDT
[#6]
NorGrum has actually delivered product in the past
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:06:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oh good. Still haven't had an f18 shot down but yeah let's get the f35's replacement  ready for the fy 2020 budget.  

I mean it would really he nice  to just take 1 billion of those funds and get an improved carbine/rifle/round even if it's not leaps and bounds better than a colt.
View Quote

An F-18 was shot down by a mig-25 during desert storm.  Others have been hit as well.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:08:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Google SA-20.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:10:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm all for keeping our military at the top... But wtf this is useless right now. Maybe in another 10 years, but I'd rather us spend more money on ground troops than expensive ass jets offering marginal improvements at ridiculous costs.

Newer small arms/calibers for the ground troops.
More funding for the VA and military health system.
Rail guns!!!

All are better choices in my opinion. But what's Northrop going to do? They're an airplane company so I understand their predicament. Just hope we aren't suckered into spending hundreds of billions on it though.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:11:30 PM EDT
[#10]
 Why? It's really hard.
View Quote

yeah that justifies spending billions of taxdollars

YOUR a DUMB ASS

keep it simple

infact it better be pilotless
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:12:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

An F-18 was shot down by a mig-25 during desert storm. Others have been hit as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

An F-18 was shot down by a mig-25 during desert storm. Others have been hit as well.

link I have never heard of this
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:13:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google Scott Speicher
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Funny how all the intellectuals missed that NorGrum is spending their own money on this
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:15:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Navy said it was a SAM, a CIA report said it was a Mig.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:16:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Invent it as they go along got LM the F-35 contract.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:18:10 PM EDT
[#16]
It's a pretty ballsy decision, unless Northrop Grumman's management knows something about the geopolitical landscape that we don't. Barring a major conventional war with a near-peer adversary I can't see there being a demand for a completely new fighter for decades.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:20:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:27:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If you want to build it in ten years, you have to start development today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm all for keeping our military at the top... But wtf this is useless right now. Maybe in another 10 years, but I'd rather us spend more money on ground troops than expensive ass jets offering marginal improvements at ridiculous costs.

Rail guns!!!

All are better choices in my opinion. But what's Northrop going to do? They're an airplane company so I understand their predicament. Just hope we aren't suckered into spending hundreds of billions on it though.

If you want to build it in ten years, you have to start development today.

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:32:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#21]
I say jump straight to Gen 10 with cloaking capability.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:41:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Google Scott Speicher
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google Scott Speicher

holy crap thanks for the education.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:42:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Funny how all the intellectuals missed that NorGrum is spending their own money on this
View Quote

you believe that...how cute
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:46:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

YOU'RE a DUMB ASS

keep it simple

in fact it better be pilotless
View All Quotes
Quoted:
 Why? It's really hard.

YOU'RE a DUMB ASS

keep it simple

in fact it better be pilotless

FIXED
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:54:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

First aircraft lost in the Gulf War was an F-18 IIRC-Pilot still MIA.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 10:19:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And what's to say they're aiming for the non-American market?
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 10:25:23 PM EDT
[#27]
With potentially tens if not hundreds of billions of dollars to be won it makes a lot of sense to start early. Fact is that UCAVs are still a ways off from being able to replace manned aircraft wholesale. There will likely need to be 6th and perhaps even 7th generation manned aircraft before we get the Skynet option.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:00:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Northrop did.  Grumman did.  NorthropGrumman?  Not so sure.

Now OTOH, if you've got the IR&D/Overhead money to do it, it isn't a bad idea to think ahead of the gov (which isn't hard).
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:07:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Here's the list of requirements from the Air Force for its next fighter:

-Mach 3 speed, combat loaded

-Vertical takeoff

-Fully submersible

-Nuclear powered

-Capable of achieving orbit

-Oxygen system for pilot that doesn't kill them

-1% made in each of the 50 states. The other 50% made in China

-Lasers. Everywhere.

-Romulan Cloaking Device

-100% Carbon Neutral

LockMart's gonna get the bid. They're really good at this kinda shit.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:09:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Gotta make dat money.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:16:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Found a while back
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:17:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Now OTOH, if you've got the IR&D/Overhead money to do it, it isn't a bad idea to think ahead of the gov (which isn't hard).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe get started and float an interesting idea that's feasible before the government get's involved and completely tards up the procurement process.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:18:58 AM EDT
[#33]
I hope it is unmanned as it won't be fielded until 2040.  Seriously doubt we will need someone in the cockpit at that point.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:20:19 AM EDT
[#34]
They should have just bought the F23 the first time around.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:21:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
They should have just bought the F23 the first time around.
View Quote

No Joke
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:39:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Put the GAU-8 avenger cannon on it and you are off to a good start.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 2:23:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was also a legacy Hornet, not the Superbug.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 2:47:39 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you prove otherwise?

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 2:55:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Maybe get started and float an interesting idea that's feasible before the government get's involved and completely tards up the procurement process.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  Pretty sure that's at least part of the thinking.  Another part is dangle something sexy that's a bit more solid than  "vaporware" and market the crap out of it as the next "must have" item.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 3:05:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I think what they're implying here is that our idiot government is going to take that long to figure out they fucked up.

Quoted:

All are better choices in my opinion.

Either of those things would cost a fraction of the money we've printed in any given month in the last 6 years or so.   Government spending is generally about lining someone's pockets, not shit we need.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top