Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/4/2015 2:32:13 PM EDT
I want a full size .45 that I will be running suppressed (Ti-Rant45) and most likely will have an RMR attached. Am I overlooking a suppressor host that would be better? Any pros/cons, reliability issues are appreciated.

eta:  Decision made

Link Posted: 2/4/2015 9:54:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the wonderful insight lol   I found a FNX 45T for 975 NIB and am probably going to go that route.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 9:58:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the wonderful insight lol   I found a FNX 45T for 975 NIB and am probably going to go that route.
View Quote

G21
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 9:58:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I sold my USP to get the FNX.  They are both great though.  I wanted the added features the FNX has like a removable slide saddle.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:00:45 PM EDT
[#4]
FNX for me.  I love everything about it.  I run mine with an Osprey.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:02:34 PM EDT
[#5]
7 1/2 hours and 18 votes?

You are the one guy in the world where ARFcom has no opinion of your gun choices  
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:03:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Im left handed which is another big reason I started looking into the FNX.   Also, 15rds  
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:07:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

7 1/2 hours and 18 votes?

You are the one guy in the world where ARFcom has no opinion of your gun choices  

View Quote
LOL it was only 6-1 for the HK, that's why I brought it back to life

Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:08:10 PM EDT
[#8]
G21 FTW!

Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:09:17 PM EDT
[#9]
They are both great choices...you know the only answer....get them both

I think the HK has a better trigger, but that is just my personal preference. (just put 200 rounds through rentals of both, and not at the same time)    

I wish I owned both so I could do a side by side comparison.  Is the HK easy to install the RMR on?
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:12:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I would go with FNX since it has normal 0.578x28 threads instead of the stupid ass metric bullshit the H&K uses.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:13:43 PM EDT
[#11]
FNX's only weakness is the DA trigger pull.

ATROCIOUS.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#12]
HK45 FTW - i love mine

Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:20:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Nice can!  I went Tirant also.

Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:25:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I voted FNX. But I'm biased.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:02:02 PM EDT
[#15]
HK.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:07:43 PM EDT
[#16]

I have USP Tacticals in both .40 and .45.  They are great hosts to my TiRant .45.  High sights are crucial to fully enjoy the package.  And yes, standard 180 grain .40 is subsonic.

I have zero experience with the FN but it'll have to be VERY good to be a better choice.

Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:12:46 PM EDT
[#17]

This, picking one up Friday
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:26:46 PM EDT
[#18]
USP. go big, or go home.

It's not the gun that's so big, really. It's the assisstant gunner, tripod, and ammo bearer

Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:29:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Have both the FNX Tactical and the USP 45 Tactical. Both are nice but in the end, I feel there is a slight edge in the fit and finish of the USP Tactical over the FNX. The FNX's does have adjustable backstraps and is ready for a red dot if that's the way you are going.

Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:29:59 PM EDT
[#20]
For a supressor host HK is the absolute best
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:32:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Glock 21. No seriously.

But if not, the HK. No holster in the history of forever have been built for a FN .45ACP.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:36:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Glock 21. No seriously.

But if not, the HK. No holster in the history of forever have been built for a FN .45ACP.
View Quote

Blade tech.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:39:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Check out the HK45T or CT.  Play with a FNX before you commit to buy.  I got one in a trade and was disappointed with how cheap it felt.  The mag release felt like a toy and I had many instances of the mags getting caught up while inserting into the magwell that I couldn't duplicate on my Glocks or HKs.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:44:34 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Check out the HK45T or CT. Play with a FNX before you commit to buy. I got one in a trade and was disappointed with how cheap it felt. The mag release felt like a toy and I had many instances of the mags getting caught up while inserting into the magwell that I couldn't duplicate on my Glocks or HKs.
View Quote

The CT's stock tall sights won't peep over a full sized round profile suppressor.  Ask me how I know. Great pistol otherwise.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:54:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Have both the FNX Tactical and the USP 45 Tactical. Both are nice but in the end, I feel there is a slight edge in the fit and finish of the USP Tactical over the FNX. The FNX's does have adjustable backstraps and is ready for a red dot if that's the way you are going.

View Quote

I have both also.

But i like the FNX better
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:03:49 AM EDT
[#26]
I have the USP Tactical with the ti-rant 45 Suppressor and I love it.  Honesty you can't go wrong with either choice.  The USP Tactical is by far my sweetest shooting handgun and I love the trigger.  I don't like the backwards threads and the cost of mags (~$55/ea). It's a monster.  My only other HK is a P2000SK sub compact 9mm and the comparison is almost laughable.

I suspect that more people like the FN.

USP/T
Pros:
-Sweet trigger
-Field changeable trigger packages
-better finish
-feels more solid

Cons
-Expensive Mags
-backwards threads
-Non standard rail
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:06:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Glock 21. No seriously.

View Quote

Put those 3 guns side-by-side and the Glock will look & feel like a POS. While it may work it's quite evident that it, along with everything else that has "Glock" stamped into it, was engineered to a price point. Fine if that's your thing...but I'd go on a limb and say people willing to pay $200 for an ATF permission slip would also pay a few bucks more for something manufactured to a higher standard. I really don't know how Glock can let frames that are not parallel to the slide get past QC. I've seen some shotty machine work on the slides as well. You will not find that half-assery on a HK or FN pistol. I won't get into how Glocks shoot other than some people like them and some people have to spend a bunch of $$$ and time to get to a proficiency that equals other guns in their collection.

----

I've only oogled the FN but have owned the full size HK Tactical. Like the rest of the USPs, it's overbuilt and extremely durable. The only malfunction I've ever had with any of my HK's was with the Tactical and it was magazine related. The mag was new as well. Besides being well made, it's laughs at +P ammo. Honestly, it shoots the hot stuff softer than your typical range ammo...which is pretty soft to begin with. Despite its size, it's a tame gun.

Dislikes; the target sights suck if you shoot at indoor ranges, the match trigger is "meh", it's huge, and there's a bit of muzzle flip. Full sized USPs use a dual recoil spring and they all exhibit more muzzle flip. The upside is the spring is very durable and you'll probably spend a college tuition's worth of ammo before it goes bad. Me? I sold it. Why? The compact USP tactical is a better shooting gun. The grip is a little smaller but it has a single recoil spring with a nylon buffer. Almost shoots as soft too.

Need a full sized 45? I'd look at the USP45. Some may say it looks kinda goofy with the grooved grip, but it works. You lose 2 rounds of ammo in the HK45 over the USP but you gain sights that don't suck and a gun that's back on target quicker. Magazines are not cheap, they're not easy to find in a shop,
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:08:34 AM EDT
[#28]
"Other"

I got both.  

Saint Peter

ETA:  Osprey 45
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:10:06 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have both also.

But i like the FNX better

I also have both.

The FNX is better.  It is made to easily accept a Dr Red Dot.  It is an incredible combination.

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:15:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Blade tech.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glock 21. No seriously.

Blade tech.

Yup.
I ordered mine to fit with the RMR and a TRL-1 HL installed.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:16:25 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I have the USP Tactical with the tirant 45 Supressor and I love it. Honesty you can't go wrong with either choice. The USP Tactical is by far my sweetest shooting handgun and I love the trigger. I don't like the backwards threads and the cost of mags (~$55/ea). It's a monster. My only other HK is a P2000SK sub compact 9mm and the comparison is almost laughable.

View Quote

I've got bad news for you.  You are going to have to pick up a USP .40 Tactical.  By far it's the best .40 I've ever shot.  It has everything you love about the .45, but in a slightly smaller, more controlable (not that the .45 is actually problematic) and cheaper to feed package.  The only bummer is the need to buy a 14.5LH adapter for that Tirant, but it'll be worth it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:22:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I've got bad news for you.  You are going to have to pick up a USP .40 Tactical.  By far it's the best .40 I've ever shot.  It has everything you love about the .45, but in a slightly smaller, more controlable (not that the .45 is actually problematic) and cheaper to feed package.  The only bummer is the need to buy a 14.5LH adapter for that Tirant, but it'll be worth it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have the USP Tactical with the tirant 45 Supressor and I love it. Honesty you can't go wrong with either choice. The USP Tactical is by far my sweetest shooting handgun and I love the trigger. I don't like the backwards threads and the cost of mags (~$55/ea). It's a monster. My only other HK is a P2000SK sub compact 9mm and the comparison is almost laughable.

I have actually considered a 40 but I am shying away because I don't want to have to stock yet another caliber of ammo. One major advantage here was that 40 became available much faster after sandy hook than the other calibers. My wife wants a dedicated suppressor host for 'her' gun I might have her test drive a USP/T40.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:23:10 AM EDT
[#33]
This is 2015 - HK45 (NOT USP) or HK45C.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:23:53 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My USPc in .40 is the only .40 I have ever liked and my best shooting pistol, for me.  Coincidentally H&K designed the USP's around the .40S&W round  

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:27:18 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote
I don't want a compact and I like the extra 2rds on the USP.  Is there a major difference/advantage of the HK vs USP? That seems to be a beans or no beans argument from what I've read.

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:35:24 AM EDT
[#36]
HK all the way.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:39:38 AM EDT
[#37]
i voted FN ..  im a huge fan of FN products...

admittedly  have little experience with HK

either choice i don't think you could go wrong   both very fine weapons.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:47:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I don't want a compact and I like the extra 2rds on the USP.  Is there a major difference/advantage of the HK vs USP? That seems to be a beans or no beans argument from what I've read.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

USP: dual recoil spring = more muzzle flip.
HK45: single flat-coil w/buffer

USP: sights that are useless at an indoor range
HK45: glow in the dark 3-dot that are kinda "meh"

USP: 12 rd mags can only be used with this gun. Mk23 mags work as well but a Mk23 cannot accept the USP45 mags (floor plate)
HK45: 10 rd mag can be used in compact but not the other way around

The rest are ergonomics. Both will be reliable, durable, and accurate. Trigger-wise; I never saw the point of the match trigger. Either will open up and break a little crisper after 5-600 rounds.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:47:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Got 'em both.  The HK is quite a bit better.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:54:04 AM EDT
[#40]
I had the same dilemma last year. The FN is nice and has the red dot advantage aside from the standard light rail. My biggest concern was, if my life or my loved ones depended on this firearm could I trust it ? Would it let me down ? I'm sure all the issues it had got ironed out. I didn't want any doubts if I needed it under duress. I made my choice.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:57:14 AM EDT
[#41]
I have both.  I like the FNX better since it is ready for a red dot and the grip fits my hand a bit better.  My USP Tactical has just standard black sights and they kind of suck for shooting in low light or at an indoor range.

Both are great, you can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:58:58 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

They are both great choices...you know the only answer....get them both

I think the HK has a better trigger, but that is just my personal preference. (just put 200 rounds through rentals of both, and not at the same time)    

I wish I owned both so I could do a side by side comparison.  Is the HK easy to install the RMR on?
View Quote
The FN trigger takes a long time to break in. The DA is awfully heavy(12-14lbs), and stacks at the back end. The single action trigger has a slight creep and then a crisp break with a sweet reset.

It did not start off that nice.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 1:00:36 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I had the same dilemma last year. The FN is nice and has the red dot advantage aside from the standard light rail. My biggest concern was, if my life or my loved ones depended on this firearm could I trust it ? Would it let me down ? I'm sure all the issues it had got ironed out. I didn't want any doubts if I needed it under duress. I made my choice.
View Quote
All guns can fail.

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 8:02:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The CT's stock tall sights won't peep over a full sized round profile suppressor.  Ask me how I know. Great pistol otherwise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Check out the HK45T or CT. Play with a FNX before you commit to buy. I got one in a trade and was disappointed with how cheap it felt. The mag release felt like a toy and I had many instances of the mags getting caught up while inserting into the magwell that I couldn't duplicate on my Glocks or HKs.

Same thing on the 45T, but a set of suppressor sights is an easy fix.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 8:10:43 AM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 8:49:01 AM EDT
[#46]
This was the exact same decision I was struggling with 2 weeks ago.  I was REALLY leaning toward the FN, but someone at work sold me their USP tactical with 6 mags for $700 so that pretty much clenched it.  I was looking for a Ti-Rant host as well!
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 9:11:37 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm not sure I understand why some people tend it ignore the current gen HK pistols in favor of the USP line.

I own both, and IMO, the newer HK guns (HK45, P30, VP9) are significant improvements.

My 2 USP's are great, accurate, reliable pistols....but have nothing on those mentioned above.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 3:17:11 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I'm not sure I understand why some people tend it ignore the current gen HK pistols in favor of the USP line.

View Quote

I own both, and IMO, the newer HK guns (HK45, P30, VP9) are significant improvements.

My 2 USP's are great, accurate, reliable pistols....but have nothing on those mentioned above.
I shoot the USP's better than the P30 and P30L I had all day long.  That's why I still like USP's.

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 3:23:48 PM EDT
[#49]
FNX because it has a normal mag release
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 3:27:26 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

FNX because it has a normal mag release
View Quote
You ever used HK's paddle mag release?  I prefer it, and most that try it and actually try to use it, prefer it too.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top