Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

WTF? Does anyone take them seriously?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The carjacking story is in Luttrell's book. The NOLA story was told to Brandon Webb by Kyle and published on his website, then later removed.

It's not a mystery, didn't take more than a couple of minutes to find.

Most people believe he told the stories. I don't know anyone who believes either event happened.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:09:59 AM EDT
[#2]
LOL so all the hate spread about Chris Kyle lieing, was mainly lies? lol jealousy will do that
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:13:24 AM EDT
[#3]
A lot of people believe that Kyle told both stories because they are often repeated, but there really is no direct evidence that he actually said them and we are really just left with second and third hand accounts--not enough to condemn the man, IMHO.

IN Webb's blog, Kyle is not said saying the story but saying along he lines of "yeah, I heard that too" about contractors in Katrina but he did not say he was there.

He did not confirm the gas station story to Mooney in his alleged interview, but Mooney stated "I believe it was true anyway," but that one can't be used as evidence Kyle said it.

People will believe what they want, I guess, but I think that this is insufficient evidence to condemn the guy.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:13:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Most people believe he told the stories. I don't know anyone who believes either event happened.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The carjacking story is in Luttrell's book. The NOLA story was told to Brandon Webb by Kyle and published on his website, then later removed.

Who's "most people?"  I am not going to believe he told the stories until I see or hear a record of him doing it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:22:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:26:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Brian Williams was there and saw both incidents.

View Quote

He was the spotter
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:34:30 AM EDT
[#7]
In war the first casualty is truth....... Randolph Hearst.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:38:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

More like, in journalism the first casualty is truth.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:38:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Has anyone other than Chris Kyle ever explained how the "kill count" was arrived at? Because it sounds a lot like Chris Kyle has a kill count because Chris Kyle said so. Not that he didn't kill some guys, but Hathcock had documentation and witnesses.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:41:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Has anyone other than Chris Kyle ever explained how the "kill count" was arrived at? Because it sounds a lot like Chris Kyle has a kill count because Chris Kyle said so. Not that he didn't kill some guys, but Hathcock had documentation and witnesses.
View Quote

They stopped doing "confirmed" kills in Vietnam when they saw that the metric of "the body count" was being misused.  A lot of Kyle's kills were confirmed by other people however, when it gets down to it, there really is no "official" count anymore and the number comes from him, for good or ill.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:42:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Confirmed kills aren't up to just the shooter saying, yeah I got 3 today
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:42:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, he was a newspaper guy.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:43:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lawyers have screwed up everything they come in contact with.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:46:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Randolph Hearst would know. His newspapers ginned up the Spanish American War using the Maine explosion as the catalyst.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 10:49:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 10:54:17 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
No dog in the fight either way on my part.  Seems like a lot of heresay to me.  "Someone told me Chris Kyle said X"

View All Quotes
Quoted:

No dog in the fight either way on my part.  Seems like a lot of heresay to me.  "Someone told me Chris Kyle said X"

Doesn't surprise me.

ETA: Just read Josh's post. Now I remember.

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 10:58:17 AM EDT
[#17]
the book is a terrible read

I prefer something by CK Louis maybe
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 11:15:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They aren't in his book. I don't know about anything at the Superdome but I think he mentioned the car jacker thing in some interview. I could be wrong about that.
View Quote

The interview that I'm aware of goes on to say that Kyle didn't / wouldn't talk about the carjacking story, and then the reporter went on to say "but I'm convinced that it really did happen, even though he wouldn't talk about it."  And then stuff seems to have sprung from that.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 11:38:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"QUACK QUACK QUACK"
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 12:02:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 12:04:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Yup.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.

Just legally speaking, the bar for defamation of a public figure (Ventura) is much higher, and harder to win, than a private person.

Kyle's estate lost.

It does, I think, from my view as a guy schooled in the law, go toward Kyle's credibility.

Just because he had balls doesn't mean he also wasn't a spinner of tall tales.

Clearly, by any objective calculation, he was.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 12:16:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
waste post 223 for that?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who is Chris Kyle?
waste post 223 for that?  

He's more of a metric guy.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#24]
FWIW, I can look out the window where I am sitting and see the super dome. I know a bunch of folks that provided direct support in New Orleans
In the first few days after Katrina.

I know this is the friend of a friend thing but within probably two weeks following the hurricane, I was told of snipers at the super dome.

Is it word of mouth? Yes... But it was said and I heard it. Did it really happen, who knows. Some believed it did and this was years before anyone ever heard of Chris Kyle.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:26:45 PM EDT
[#25]

He enjoyed being larger than life and I don't understand why some can't accept that it doesn't have anything at all to do with his performance in Iraq. There have been and always will be plenty of flawed heroes. Pappy Boyington was an alcoholic and supposedly utterly intolerable. I was talking to one of the docents at the USMC museum who also flew Hueys in Vietnam and his remark about Stephen Pless' drinking and death was "I don't understand it,but I've never had the pressure of being a hero either". Dakota Meyer was fired from BAE for behavior/alcohol problems...but honestly the list is near endless. Some people expect warriors to be saints and that is absolutely nothing but absurd.

Do I think Kyle had a small issue with veracity? Yes but that's pretty much the Texan stereotype and I think anyone of decent sense can accept some tales with a grain of salt. That doesn't mean what he did on the battlefield is any less courageous and notable.Therefore is it really important if/that he told some fibs? No,not really. The sources of these were not liberals out to discredit him and really,if the movie had flopped liberals would not have cared one bit. On the other hand,even if these had never been brought about there would still be charges of mercilessly killing brown people for oil. In short,it's really not a big deal at all. Those who appreciate his contribution and legacy will continue to do so. Those who wouldn't will not. Those who understand that people are a bit more complex than a 1955 war movie and can fully understand that some actions have no reflection at all on heroism. Audie Murphy had problems with pills and gambling but it sure didn't make him any less of a hero. Nobody considers or cares about that now and in time nobody will care about the car jackers or the Jesse Ventura issue,that won't be what Chris Kyle is remembered by so it's best to let it go.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:31:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do tell.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:33:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Brian Williams Syndrome
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:35:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So far no direct claims or evidence of that, everything is second hand.
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:36:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Military fish tales.  Big deal.

People who get worked up over this shit need to get out more.

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:40:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

So there's no direct evidence that he made either claim but there's no shortage of people claiming it's true.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the Katrina story was not "told" till well after Kyle's death and Webb also used Jeremy Scahill as a source for his opinion piece with information that has been debunked to further his own agenda.

So there's no direct evidence that he made either claim but there's no shortage of people claiming it's true.

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:46:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Chris Kyle was in the Navy.  

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:49:44 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

The interview that I'm aware of goes on to say that Kyle didn't / wouldn't talk about the carjacking story, and then the reporter went on to say "but I'm convinced that it really did happen, even though he wouldn't talk about it."  And then stuff seems to have sprung from that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They aren't in his book. I don't know about anything at the Superdome but I think he mentioned the car jacker thing in some interview. I could be wrong about that.

confirmed by Chris Kyle, but no record of the shooting exists.

Chris Kyle had a habit of telling sea stories.   That's fine when you are unknown but when you become famous and put famous people in your stories, people will fact check you.

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:59:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
[   http://frontburner.dmagazine.com/2013/02/08/confirmed-american-sniper-chris-kyle-killed-two-men-at-a-gas-station-in-2009/

Chris Kyle had a habit of telling sea stories.   That's fine when you are unknown but when you become famous and put famous people in your stories, people will fact check you.

View Quote

Confirmed by Mooney after Kyle's death is not the same as confirmed by Kyle.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:59:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Regardless of who started the Superdome rumor I have a hard time believing that story. An enlisted service man killing Americans on american soil? Yeah.... That didn't happen.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:03:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

They stopped doing "confirmed" kills in Vietnam when they saw that the metric of "the body count" was being misused.  A lot of Kyle's kills were confirmed by other people however, when it gets down to it, there really is no "official" count anymore and the number comes from him, for good or ill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In 'nam they went for the "body count", but I don't think there was ever an official "confirmed sniper kills" count unless it was done specifically by the snipers themselves (Land, Hathcock, etc). I believe any sniper kill count has large error bars. Particularly anything involving Soviet snipers.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:04:16 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

[   http://frontburner.dmagazine.com/2013/02/08/confirmed-american-sniper-chris-kyle-killed-two-men-at-a-gas-station-in-2009/

lol

So if you tell a reporter it happened (and your SEAL buddies), you didn't actually confirm it?

Gotcha.

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:05:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How accurate was Luttrell's first book?
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:05:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:06:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

http://frontburner.dmagazine.com/2013/02/08/confirmed-american-sniper-chris-kyle-killed-two-men-at-a-gas-station-in-2009/

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://frontburner.dmagazine.com/2013/02/08/confirmed-american-sniper-chris-kyle-killed-two-men-at-a-gas-station-in-2009/

Mike Mooney again, conveniently published after Kyle's death and he published another article where in the article he said Kyle wouldn't confirm it but "he believed it anyway."  Mooney has two different accounts of his interview with Kyle that conflict each other. Not exactly clear and irrefutable evidence.

Here is the article from April of that year where he said, "Before Kyle’s murder at the hands of a fellow veteran in February, I asked him about that story during an interview in his office last year, as part of what was supposed to be an extended, in-depth magazine story about his service and how hard he worked to adjust back to this world—to become the great husband and father and Christian he’d always wanted to be.

He didn’t want to get into specifics about the gas station shooting, but I left that day believing it had happened."

http://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/2013/april/the-legend-of-chris-kyle-01?single=1

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:06:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Reading the write up on the Superdome thing, CK doesn't seem to have made any claim that he himself was involved personally.

"Chris went on to tell me that the bulk of the guys he knew directly had racked up over thirty kills between them. I asked him about Rules of Engagement, and asked, “Who were they shooting at,” and he just gave me a big Texas shrug and smile. I figured out really quick that it was 180 grains of due process (usually to the head at 200M). ".

So was he telling a whopper or just embellishing a story he was told?
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:09:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:10:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Reading the write up on the Superdome thing, CK doesn't seem to have made any claim that he himself was involved personally.

"Chris went on to tell me that the bulk of the guys he knew directly had racked up over thirty kills between them. I asked him about Rules of Engagement, and asked, “Who were they shooting at,” and he just gave me a big Texas shrug and smile. I figured out really quick that it was 180 grains of due process (usually to the head at 200M). ".

So was he telling a whopper or just embellishing a story he was told.
View Quote

Regardless, he didn't say he was there, he just said "I heard those stories too."  Not evidence that he made those claims, if fact, just the opposite.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:10:55 PM EDT
[#44]
3 drunk guys at 3am at a party, and 1 of the 3 says he dont remember..... "they said thats what he told them"

even if true, how many times have you fucked with drunk guys telling them dumb shit to see if they belive you?
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:10:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
  lol
So if you tell a reporter it happened (and your SEAL buddies), you didn't actually confirm it?
Gotcha.

View Quote

Reporters? Yeah, they are always 100% accurate. Whatever Brian Williams said must be true.

I question stories that come out after someone died, that we can't confirm they actually said. Specially when those stories are then used to claim the dead person spun tall tails.

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:11:14 PM EDT
[#46]
I think Brian Williams reported that story.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#47]
None of these wild stories come from his book nor was he ever recorded saying any of those stories. To make it even more ridiculous the stories didn't appear until AFTER his death and only really became popular when the movie was about to be released.

Its most likely a case of someone trying to piggy back off of someone else fame

The conversation probably went like those stupid Geico commercials.

Guy 1 - "Hey did you know i once met Chris Kyle"
Guy 2 - "Ok, cool, i dont really care..."
Guy 1 - "Well did you know Chris Kyle went to Katrina to shoot looters!?!
Guy 2 - "Seriously? thats so bad a$$, i bet he would do that."

The stories being obviously untrue and completely fake then get spread around by Kyle haters trying to tarnish the reputation of War hero, something that some people feel is not worry of praise.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:15:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

And the Katrina story was not "told" till well after Kyle's death and Webb also used Jeremy Scahill as a source for his opinion piece with information that has been debunked to further his own agenda.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scahill is a nut bar.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:15:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Mike Mooney again, conveniently published after Kyle's death and he published another article where in the article he said Kyle wouldn't confirm it but "he believed it anyway."  Mooney has two different accounts of his interview with Kyle that conflict each other. Not exactly clear and irrefutable evidence.

Here is the article from April of that year where he said, "Before Kyle’s murder at the hands of a fellow veteran in February, I asked him about that story during an interview in his office last year, as part of what was supposed to be an extended, in-depth magazine story about his service and how hard he worked to adjust back to this world—to become the great husband and father and Christian he’d always wanted to be.

He didn’t want to get into specifics about the gas station shooting, but I left that day believing it had happened."

http://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/2013/april/the-legend-of-chris-kyle-01?single=1

View Quote

Frankly there is no proof of Kyle's "tall tails". There are claims that can't be verified. It isn't "a fact" he lied, as some here have claimed. Perhaps he did, but we have no way to verify unless something else comes out.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:16:04 PM EDT
[#50]
these Kyle threads have taught me this:

When hearsay helps Kyle, we should believe it.
When hearsay makes Kyle look like a liar, we should not believe it.

I think Kyle was a hero who had feet of clay.   The problem is most people don't want heroes with feet of clay, so they use the system above to evaluate the stories that have come out about him.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top