Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 2:21:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I would love to see a flat consumption tax (sales tax or other) replace income tax.

A serious problem is that every time I see a flat tax discussed the proposed 'plan'  is FULL of exceptions and/or deductions. ie. groceries are exempt or people who make under $20,000/yr get a refund, etc, etc. Differing tax rates for different items gets proposed also which is a no-go in my book.

The flat tax discussions seldom include rolling back (or increasing) hidden taxes ie. taxes on fuel.

Any tax scheme will have complications. Eliminating as many exemptions/deductions as possible is what can simplify things. That will NOT go over well with families, politicians or businesses though.......
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 2:21:27 PM EDT
[#2]
As president he could sign an executive order that would end tax withholdings. This one single move would force the current system to reboot.

Make every single American file quarterly or yearly, let them see just how much money they keep in their paychecks and just how big of a check they have to write AND MAKE THEM WRITE THAT CHECK.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 2:22:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Pipe dreams and fantasy...............
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 2:22:58 PM EDT
[#4]
The single biggest thing that would do an about face in this country is get rid of the withholding tax.

Make people make quarterly payments, save up thousands of dollars and write a multi-thousand dollar payment 4x a year and people would be up in arms with how much they are taxed.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 2:23:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As president he could sign an executive order that would end tax withholdings. This one single move would force the current system to reboot.

Make every single American file quarterly or yearly, let them see just how much money they keep in their paychecks and just how big of a check they have to write AND MAKE THEM WRITE THAT CHECK.
View Quote

damn, beaten!

Agree, if people had to write those checks themselves they'd be UP IN ARMS!
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 3:03:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No, it wouldn't. Let me throw out just one consideration: How would you transition from the current system to your new system? The transitional rules and the grandfathering provisions would be a CPA's nightmare. (Actually, maybe not. Such a plan would be a "Tax Lawyers' and Accountants' Full Employment Act.")

The so-called "complications" in the current system don't involve that many people, and most of them have paid tax advisors. Besides that, the people affected wanted the complications because they tend to benefit them. The tax code is the result of balancing various economic interests, each of which lobby their elected representatives.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
You have it backwards. The current Tax system is extremely complicated. A Flat or Fair Tax based tax system
would be extremely simple.

No, it wouldn't. Let me throw out just one consideration: How would you transition from the current system to your new system? The transitional rules and the grandfathering provisions would be a CPA's nightmare. (Actually, maybe not. Such a plan would be a "Tax Lawyers' and Accountants' Full Employment Act.")

The so-called "complications" in the current system don't involve that many people, and most of them have paid tax advisors. Besides that, the people affected wanted the complications because they tend to benefit them. The tax code is the result of balancing various economic interests, each of which lobby their elected representatives.

Exactly!  And this is a bad thing.

I'm more in favor of a flat 10% income tax levied to the closest and smallest government.  If you live in a city you pay that 10% to the city, if you live outside a city you pay the county.

Each tier of the government pays 10% of its income to the tier above it, so cities pay 10% to the county, counties pay 10% to the state, and states pay 10% to the national government.

The military is a huge expense, therefore I propose a regression to each state building their own military units.  Officers would still be trained by the national government, weapons used would be determined by the military leadership and purchased by the state.

Infrastructure would be purchased by the lowest level of government available (e.g. the city) for maintenance of roads, etc.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 3:08:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Our tax code is 73,954 pages.

Every other asshole in congress wants to simplify it by adding more pages.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 3:12:29 PM EDT
[#8]
IRS is being used as a political retaliatory weapon, it needs to go away.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 3:15:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This, plus sales tax only. Completely eliminate the IRS and the billions of fraudulent returns being issued.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The tax plan should be the Fed has to go to the states for money. No direct payments!

Never should have changed.

This, plus sales tax only. Completely eliminate the IRS and the billions of fraudulent returns being issued.

Which would require a Constitutional Amendment to stop future Federal Income Taxes, along with use taxes, and various fees.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 3:16:16 PM EDT
[#10]
A Marxist "spent an entire career designing tax forms and instructions for the IRS."
View Quote

Where did you get the idea that I'm a Marxist? I took some economics courses in college, but I'm not an economist.

My job was to read the tax laws and try to apply them.

Link Posted: 2/14/2015 3:16:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is this going to turn into another of these "ARFcom: Anyone who likes freedom is a commie" thread?
View Quote

No but if people forget about removing the Constitutional Amendment Authorizing this shit it will be a get both and bend over scenario. Which a lot of people seem to forget.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 3:17:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Rand is the ONLY candidate I will vote for, we need to scrap the tax code and go to a universal flat tax.
View Quote

You are already ready to fail.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 3:18:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Agreed 100% !  Federal Govt SHOULD be subservient to States; not the other way around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The tax plan should be the Fed has to go to the states for money. No direct payments!

Agreed 100% !  Federal Govt SHOULD be subservient to States; not the other way around.

I agree.

I hope this represents Rand trying to find his way again despite his recent missteps.  He brings a lot to the table when he sticks to the out-of-control growth of the Federal government.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 3:20:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Sooner the better.

See Rand run...run Rand run !!
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 3:28:26 PM EDT
[#15]
He's absolutely correcT.

Our current tax code is so conplex, so powerful, filled with crap you need to actually specialize in tax to understand it....

Link Posted: 2/14/2015 3:36:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
one thing that will never change is our tax code. Politicians use it to reward those they like and punish those they don't.

they won't give up that kind of power

View Quote

True story.  

Link Posted: 2/14/2015 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sen. Rand Paul said the best way to fix problems with the Internal Revenue Service is to simply scrap the tax code and start from the beginning.

“The IRS is too big, too powerful, and we absolutely should scrap the code,” Mr. Paul said during a question-answer session on Facebook, The Hill reported.

The Kentucky senator suggested he wasn’t simply throwing out an opinion.

“Look for my tax plan later this spring,” Mr. Paul said, The Hill reported.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/feb/13/rand-paul-irs-too-big-too-powerful-and-we-should-s/#ixzz3RjnAHk7v
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
View Quote

I love this guy, I will vote for him as many times as I can get away with.
View Quote

That should be at least five, six times.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 3:45:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#19]
This thread reminds me of:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=trNtNbmnGUo
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 3:52:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
flat tax would fix a lot of problems with cronyism.  politicians will fight this tooth and nail.
View Quote

20% transaction tax would be about right
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 3:53:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

flat tax would fix a lot of problems with cronyism.  politicians will fight this tooth and nail.

Too much, 10% to 15% max

A huge part of the tax we pay now goes to EITC and fraud.

Link Posted: 2/14/2015 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
He's right, I agree with him, and he knows as well as I do that it'll never fucking happen.

Low hanging fruit for the base to feast on.
View Quote

It will never fucking happen if no one ever starts talking about it.

Talking about it is the first step to making it happen.  Just need to get enough people interested/talking about/supporting it and then it become possible.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 4:12:44 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

No, he couldn't. It would take legislation. Withholding came in as part of the Revenue Act of 1942. It was originally intended to be a wartime measure, but it was realized that without it, the broadened income tax (it applied to relatively few people before 1942) would collapse.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 4:18:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Only a King coming into power, could take down the IRS. There is no way that Congress and the President will all be united enough to vote for a change.

It's too big of a machine, for a Constitutional Republic to take down.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 4:21:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Our tax code is 73,954 pages.
View Quote

Not exactly. The Internal Revenue Code can be printed in one medium-sized book. What you're thinking of is the body of Regulations, Rulings, etc. that interpret the Code. These things are of concern mostly to tax professionals. 95% of taxpayers can find all they need to know by reading IRS Publication 17. Most don't even need that.

Link Posted: 2/14/2015 4:21:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I have no problem with this
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sen. Rand Paul said the best way to fix problems with the Internal Revenue Service is to simply scrap the tax code and start from the beginning.

“The IRS is too big, too powerful, and we absolutely should scrap the code,” Mr. Paul said during a question-answer session on Facebook, The Hill reported.

The Kentucky senator suggested he wasn’t simply throwing out an opinion.

“Look for my tax plan later this spring,” Mr. Paul said, The Hill reported.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/feb/13/rand-paul-irs-too-big-too-powerful-and-we-should-s/#ixzz3RjnAHk7v
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

I love this guy, I will vote for him as many times as I can get away with.

I have no problem with this

He is a dirty commie kook agent of russia that hates the military and loves illegal immigrants. Did I say he is a kook and agent ufrussia?

Just like his dad.

Link Posted: 2/14/2015 4:22:59 PM EDT
[#27]
IRS is being used as a political retaliatory weapon, it needs to go away.
View Quote

And who started that? Nixon!
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 4:29:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yep.  National sales tax would suck.  What about farmers who might spend 300k retail to clear 25K?  You want me to pay 30k in sales tax when my

income is 25K?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You have it backwards. The current Tax system is extremely complicated. A Flat or Fair Tax based tax system

Yep.  National sales tax would suck.  What about farmers who might spend 300k retail to clear 25K?  You want me to pay 30k in sales tax when my

income is 25K?

Do a little more research on the sales tax/Fair Tax.  Prices would decrease because goods already have taxes built into their price.  The built-in parts are corporate taxes plus the cost to file and comply with the current tax code.  It would be close to a wash in what comes out of you pocket.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 4:44:26 PM EDT
[#29]
He certainly does make a lot of sense on this particular matter.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ok, since the current tax code is simple for most people.... How many withholdings should a family of four claim to come out with a zero return?  That should be a simple answer right?
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 5:07:35 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote
+1

Link Posted: 2/14/2015 5:08:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Love that guy....GOOD !!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 5:09:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

They won't even have to fight it.  The game is rigged.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 5:16:20 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

one thing that will never change is our tax code. Politicians use it to reward those they like and punish those they don't.

they won't give up that kind of power

View Quote

Elect me president and I'll have some true tax reform, because if Congress does not pass my tax reform package and if the States do not ratify the amendment that repeals the 16A they and anyone who has ever donated them any money will be audited and raped by my IRS and DOJ.

It won't be an abuse of power because the IRS and DOJ will be enforcing the laws as they were enacted by Congress and we all know politicians are less then honest about everything, including their tax returns.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 5:31:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
First of all, I like Rand Paul, for a lot of reasons.

But it's easy to say, "Scrap the tax code." The difficult part is deciding how to replace it.

Any alternative plan would be more complicated, and less fair. Trust me on this. I spent an entire career designing tax forms and instructions for the IRS. We would have loved to have a simpler system.
View Quote

Why?  Is there a law somewhere that says it has to be complex?  Can we not establish a tax system a sixth grader could understand?  The Claymore is simple, Front Towards Enemy.  Why the fuck cant the tax code be just as simple?  

Of course simple means a lot of fucks lose their jobs, lawyers for one.  A whole shitload of lawyers exist only to work with taxes.  This class of people should not even exist.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 5:32:57 PM EDT
[#36]
It will never,ever,ever,ever,ever,ever happen in the US.

There is just too much $ in it and the code has nothing to do with "fairness". Do you really think some people would be happy suddenly having to actually pay taxes? Or that some would be happy surrendered the heaps they make to insure others pay minimal taxes? Nope,there's way too much business in it.

Besides,if you could go online and do your taxes in 2 minutes it  would take away the American tradition of April 14 meltdowns
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 7:14:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It will never,ever,ever,ever,ever,ever happen in the US.

There is just too much $ in it and the code has nothing to do with "fairness". Do you really think some people would be happy suddenly having to actually pay taxes? Or that some would be happy surrendered the heaps they make to insure others pay minimal taxes? Nope,there's way too much business in it.

Besides,if you could go online and do your taxes in 2 minutes it  would take away the American tradition of April 14 meltdowns
View Quote

You have a point. But the point being is why it needs to be changed.

Example: My mom would bid painting jobs for low income housing. The people that lived there treated the homes with absolutely no respect for what tax payer dollars had paid for. We would go into these projects after all the trim & cabinetry & appliances had been removed with hazmat suits & pressure washers to clean them.

There would be a foot deep of feces in the closets of the rooms, all the toilets were broken, windows busted, etc. it was like a joke to them to see how bad they could trash them.

One day while we were working, one of the old tenants of the unit came to his "Newly Remodeled" abode to check on the progress. He pulled up in a Mercedez with Bling Bling rims & had more gold on his fingers than the Pope.

I will never forget the impact that lousy POS had on me in how people can mooch off others while spending & buying crap they don't need & expect they can trash it & we should just fix it all up for them.

A national Sales Tax would eliminate this crap. He goes to by that Mercedes or Expensive rims & he would get hit hard because he was on "The Systems" books.

If you aren't then extravagant purchases would be at a lower tax rate.

I say this because I won't accept Government Housing or Food Stamps before I made sure I cut every Damn expense I could & even thenI doubt I would. I don't expect anyone to pay my way ever & anyone that can, to me, just doesn't want to try. I have been piss poor, barely able to put Chili-dogs on my table but I never asked anyone for a hand out. I would work to do something, anything before I would accept a Government handout. Hell I was even sending money back to my mom after her car accident that happened about that time that put her out of work for over a year.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 8:18:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Why?  Is there a law somewhere that says it has to be complex?  Can we not establish a tax system a sixth grader could understand?  The Claymore is simple, Front Towards Enemy.  Why the fuck cant the tax code be just as simple?  

Of course simple means a lot of fucks lose their jobs, lawyers for one.  A whole shitload of lawyers exist only to work with taxes.  This class of people should not even exist.  
View Quote

Mostly because the rich have to pay their fair share.  Imagine all the money getting away if the rich are only paying the same percentage as the poor.  They will increase EVERYONE's taxes, and then give deductions for behaviors they want, all in the name of giving breaks to the poor.  Tax law is about widescale behavior management as well as revenue generation.  

The US as it currently is will never give up that combination of money and influence.  As much as I'd like to see a tax form look like this-  

______ x 0.15

...it just won't happen.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top