Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 3/4/2015 4:58:02 PM EDT
Link

Scientists have unearthed the jawbone of what they claim is one of the very first humans.

The 2.8 million-year-old specimen is 400,000 years older than researchers thought that our kind first emerged.

The discovery in Ethiopia suggests climate change spurred the transition from tree dweller to upright walker.

The head of the research team told BBC News that the find gives the first insight into "the most important transitions in human evolution".

Prof Brian Villmoare of the University of Nevada in Las Vegas said the discovery makes a clear link between an iconic 3.2 million-year-old hominin (human-like primate) discovered in the same area in 1974, called "Lucy".

Could Lucy's kind - which belonged to the species Australopithecus afarensis - have evolved into the very first primitive humans?

"That's what we are arguing," said Prof Villmoare.

But the fossil record between the time period when Lucy and her kin were alive and the emergence of Homo erectus (with its relatively large brain and humanlike body proportions) two million years ago is sparse.

The 2.8 million-year-old lower jawbone was found in the Ledi-Geraru research area, Afar Regional State, by Ethiopian student Chalachew Seyoum. He told BBC News that he was "stunned" when he saw the fossil.

More at link

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:58:44 PM EDT
[#1]
expansive exposé bro
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:59:33 PM EDT
[#2]
.....Right next to Hitler's pencil box.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#3]
In before the "only 6000 years old, har har" douchebaggery.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:03:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Climate change didn't spur us to come down from the trees, the water did.  Our ancestors probably spent several hundred thousand years wading, floating, and swimming in fresh water, making us what we are now.

Quick primer on it;

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:03:51 PM EDT
[#5]
wrong
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:05:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
wrong
View Quote

Proof?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:07:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
wrong
View Quote

Well thought out argument.
I especially liked the part where you proved your point with facts.
Oh wait....
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I garuntee you it will eventually come out mostly modern humans are atleast 1.5 million years old and that we didnt come from the monkeys they think we came from. Not saying we didnt come from monkeys. I am saying mostly modern humans go back much farther then they think they do. there is just no way that all of the variations of modern humans happened in 200K years.

Aint happening.

Nope.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:10:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:13:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I was really getting into that article when I realized that this 'artifact' was planted by Jesus as a test of my faith. Well, I for one, passed. The rest of you science lovers will burn in the hell fires if you don't repent.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:13:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Proof?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
wrong

Proof?

Because my book and god say so. /sarcasm
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:14:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Nobody who understands evolution thinks that humans evolved from monkeys.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I garuntee you it will eventually come out mostly modern humans are atleast 1.5 million years old and that we didnt come from the monkeys they think we came from. Not saying we didnt come from monkeys. I am saying mostly modern humans go back much farther then they think they do.

Lemurs. apes. whatever/
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:14:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Did the find the first monkey fish frog yet?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:15:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was really getting into that article when I realized that this 'artifact' was planted by Jesus as a test of my faith. Well, I for one, passed. The rest of you science lovers will burn in the hell fires if you don't repent.
View Quote

out of
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:18:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Proof?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

wrong

Proof?
Likewise...

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:20:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I garuntee you it will eventually come out mostly modern humans are atleast 1.5 million years old and that we didnt come from the monkeys they think we came from. Not saying we didnt come from monkeys. I am saying mostly modern humans go back much farther then they think they do.

You can tell a lot by hand shape and weight;

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:21:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Climate change didn't spur us to come down from the trees, the water did.  Our ancestors probably spent several hundred thousand years wading, floating, and swimming in fresh water, making us what we are now.

Quick primer on it;

http://youtu.be/gwPoM7lGYHw
View Quote

Fascinating talk.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:22:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Riiight.

I mean, I know it was found and that it exists and that it's very likely indeed from a human...but how do they suppose that's an accurate date? Did they date the bone fragment from the strata in which it was discovered? And if so, how was the strata layer dated?

Of course, I'm no expert. I'm pretty dumb in many ways. But I don't believe everything I read, because I know that even really smart experts tend to spew a lot of B.S.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:23:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Tom cruise put that there
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:23:58 PM EDT
[#21]

EVOLUTION
It's clear we have devolved.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:25:22 PM EDT
[#22]
It was placed there to trick us all.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:26:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:27:40 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't put much faith in some of these claims.

I think some throw out anything to keep the money rolling in.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#25]
what gets me.

is they say all this amazing shit, then you see what they found and its always like a jawbone and a finger bone.

yet they knew that was the bone of a watapotomus and they can tell you everything about it down to its favorite color.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

EVOLUTION

View Quote

I think DEVO had it right, Man sure does seem to be going it the wrong direction.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:31:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Wow, they've gotten really good at dating, what month was it placed there again?

For real though, they claim its 3,200,000 years old.

Is that give or take 50,000 years? 50,000 years is a long time and if they can't account for that amount of time how am I supposed to believe this number is accurate?

That jawbone could be anyone's.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

out of
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

out of

Burn the unbeliever!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:34:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Maybe it's Mitochondrial Eve, the first known half-human/half-Cylon hybrid.

I wonder what Jack Chick says it could be?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:36:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:41:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Oh wait....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

wrong

Oh wait....
Facts? Who needs those? Lol.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#33]
This little guy would have been about two and a half to three feet tall, and furry all over like a small ape.  One might say this specimen represents an early ancestor to what would become human, but the artifact itself is not human; not by a long shot.  Homo sapiens (anatomically humans) don't emerge for another two and a half million years.  Humans are only around 300,000 years old.  Fact.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:55:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
what gets me.

is they say all this amazing shit, then you see what they found and its always like a jawbone and a finger bone.

yet they knew that was the bone of a watapotomus and they can tell you everything about it down to its favorite color.
View Quote

It's interesting how certain they are about all of it until a couple years later they discover something that refutes everything they "knew" a short time earlier.
I've seen the pattern repeated so many times, I put very little stock in these "amazing discoveries" anymore.
Give it 4 or 5 decades to be put in proper context with other discoveries and then we'll see if it actually means anything.

Way too much speculation being passed off as fact.

Many (if not most) scientists are too arrogant and worried about making a name in the community to adhere to any scientific rigor.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:57:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Can't be right.   It is white with black teeth.  Ethiopians are black with white teeth.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:58:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

That was really dang funny.  And I'm a Christian.  Bravo sir.  Bravo.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:00:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I think DEVO had it right, Man sure does seem to be going it the wrong direction.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

EVOLUTION

We're all DEVO!

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:00:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:03:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Umpossible.

Unless of course.... aliens.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:06:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It's interesting how certain they are about all of it until a couple years later they discover something that refutes everything they "knew" a short time earlier.
View Quote

I know, right???

They should come up with some "facts" and stick to them despite all future evidence to the contrary.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:06:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Haven't a few Saints said to not take the Bible literally?

As such, there is no reason science and religion can't go hand-in-hand.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:08:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Climate change- aaaaaa d you lost me.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#43]
2.8 million...

LOL
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:09:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Science is the How

God is the Why

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:12:08 PM EDT
[#45]
""The human-like features shown by Australopithecus sediba in South Africa at around 1.95 million years ago are likely to have developed independently of the processes which produced (humans) in East Africa, showing that parallel origins are a distinct possibility," Prof Stringer explained.

This would suggest several different species of humans co-existing in Africa around two million years ago with only one of them surviving and eventually evolving into our species, Homo sapiens. It is as if nature was experimenting with different versions of the same evolutionary configuration until one succeeded."

Interesting.  

I wonder if we can ever figure out WHICH species we came from?

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

The climate of earth has under gone dramatic climate change in the past. Everything north of South Dakota used to be under a mile of ice. The Sahara used to be jungle.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:17:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The climate of earth has under gone dramatic climate change in the past. Everything north of South Dakota used to be under a mile of ice. The Sahara used to be jungle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My back yard is full of sea shells but fuck that liberal climate change shenanigans
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Aaaaand in.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:21:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

My back yard is full of sea shells but fuck that liberal climate change shenanigans
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The climate does change.  The climate MAY be getting warmer.  The shenanigans are with who's to blame and how rich lefies like Algore can make a buck off the bullshit side of it.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
what gets me.

View Quote

The more interest your musings generate, the bigger / better your grants are.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top