Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/11/2015 8:12:28 AM EDT
I am a contractor, I work in a joint .mil shop (did 9 yrs in the Army).

Airman snuffy has about 5 min time in service in the Air Force, and Sgt old School tells snuffy to go get some grid squares.

Snuffy asks, "so what are those?"

Sgt says "well, we use them when we want to be really precise in our location"

Snuffy "oh ok"

So we send him all over the place "yeah I think joe blow over there in that shop has some grid squares, yadda yadda yadda"

The whole building was in on it.

So, I got in to work last night and ask airman snuffy if he found his grid squares....

Snuffy deadpans and says: "I do not appreciate being hazed, that is borderline hazing"

So I try to explain to snuffy about critical thinking skills and determining if you have  a bullshit order, which you will have in your career...

snuffy: "no, it is hazing"

me: speechless

yeah_ok.gif

What the hell is happening to the .mil? Is this the new Obama .mil or what?
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:17:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Cool story, bro.

In before "Millenials are stupid"
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:18:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Commo sergeant did the box of grid squares prank to an E1 one time.

Kid came back with a box of maps.

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:21:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Airman Snuffy is going to have a lot of fun for the rest of his (hopefully short) Air Farce career.

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:22:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Commo sergeant did the box of grid squares prank to an E1 one time.

Kid came back with a box of maps.

View Quote

Hope that kid has a long military career.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:25:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Fucking crybabies in the .mil these days. A buddy of mine just posted on facebook that he had to have one of his joes 550 cord his driver's license to himself because he lost it, I'm waiting to see him post that he got in trouble for hazing.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:30:21 AM EDT
[#6]
For those that remember the old radios...PRC-77. They were called "Prick 77's"

Young E-2 was told to go to "Top" and ask him for a "Prick E-8 battery"

Fun was had
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:31:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Airman snuffy has about 5 min time in service in the Air Force, and Sgt old School tells snuffy to go get some grid squares.
Snuffy "oh ok"
So we send him all over the place "yeah I think joe blow over there in that shop has some grid squares, yadda yadda yadda"
So, I got in to work last night and ask airman snuffy if he found his grid squares....

Snuffy deadpans and says: "I do not appreciate being hazed, that is borderline hazing"

So I try to explain to snuffy about critical thinking skills and determining if you have  a bullshit order, which you will have in your career...
yeah_ok.gif

View Quote

I didn't mind when I was banging a wrench on the side of my 113 checking the armor for soft spots
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:38:19 AM EDT
[#8]
We sent a guy to the armory to get "some of that coolant to replace in the night sights." (Night sights on the TOW missile are liquid cooled.)  The coolant was claimed to be some radioactive shit.  The armorer was prepared with a Styrofoam cup filled to the brim with chem-light juice.

Said chem-lights were spilled in the armory and hilarity ensued.

Hazing was when the mortarmen tied the boot to a tree with him dressed only in underwear and covered in busted open chem-lights.

He was an "aiming stick."
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:39:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I never understood why this is funny.

Oh, they tried it on me when I was a PVT. One morning I as sent to find grid squares or something equally non-existent. I knew better.

So I went back to my room and took a nap. Then went to chow and back to my room for another nap. I was playing some pool in the dayroom when the 1SG asked me what the hell I was doing playing pool durning duty hours. I told him what I was looking for.

He told me to un-ass the AO so I toddled back to the motor pool about 15:00.

My section Sgt was like, "Where the hell have you been all day?"

I was like "Those grid squares, couldn't find any. Need me to look for anything else?"

He was pissed but the Motor Sgt thought it was funny.

I just don't get it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:40:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Fun was had
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:40:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Ever try to find food for a gammagoat?

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:42:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I didn't mind when I was banging a wrench on the side of my 113 checking the armor for soft spots
View Quote

First time through I misread that as "wench"  It makes you story a whole lot better.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:42:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I never understood why this is funny.

Oh, they tried it on me when I was a PVT. One morning I as sent to find grid squares or something equally non-existent. I knew better.

So I went back to my room and took a nap. Then went to chow and back to my room for another nap. I was playing some pool in the dayroom when the 1SG asked me what the hell I was doing playing pool durning duty hours. I told him what I was looking for.

He told me to un-ass the AO so I toddled back to the motor pool about 15:00.

My section Sgt was like, "Where the hell have you been all day?"

I was like "Those grid squares, couldn't find any. Need me to look for anything else?"

He was pissed but the Motor Sgt thought it was funny.

I just don't get it.
View Quote

LOL Wise-ass!
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:44:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Today have him go look for some relative bearing grease....
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:46:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Food for a GammaGoat!  We had those, I probably would have tried it on a PV2 given the chance!
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:49:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

First time through I misread that as "wench"  It makes you story a whole lot better.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that certainly would've made that day better for me
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:50:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Case of K9P,Pipe Stretcher, 10 Yards of Flight line, Trash bag exhaust samples, Capt. D's called for you(number to Food place at BX), Major Storm called for you(number to weather office)  much fun was had.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:50:54 AM EDT
[#18]
im still looking for that damned PU55Y cleaner and A1R spray
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:52:51 AM EDT
[#19]
We used to send new guys to ask our maintenance warrant for ink for the hardcopy unit (its a thermal printer that uses carbon paper). That usually went pretty well.

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:54:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Fun was had
View Quote

When I was in NCO school, we had a two year meritoriously promoted intel sergeant in my squad.  A few of us grunts sent her to the SNCOIC, Gunnery Sergeant Kent, with the instructions, "Tell him you need a prick E-7."  She did.

Gunny Kent went on to become Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps.

On the grid square thing, I heard of one guy who returned with a protractor and told the sender to use the protractor to find his own grid square.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:58:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Snuffy "oh ok"

yeah_ok.gif

View Quote

I would have said the same thing, but to be punking the guys back.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:02:08 AM EDT
[#22]
In Boy Scouts we used to send people around for left-handed smoke shifters and bacon stretchers.

eta - Not to mention the many nights of snipe hunts.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:06:18 AM EDT
[#23]

He should have "Message to Garcia'd"

What is A Message to Garcia you ask?

A Message to Garcia is a book written by
Elbert Hubbard, and it is a book on the Commandant's reading list (Marines)

Basically is a book about some guy who is told to go find some guy and deliver a message.  It's so riveting...because you don't know if he ever found the guy or delivered the message....

So when you tell a Boot to go find someone or something and they ask "what is that/who is that and where are they", you tell them "Boot! [knife hand], Message to Garcia!"

Because you probably don't know who you're looking for and/or know where they are also

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:30:20 AM EDT
[#24]
I recall there being at least one new squid on our ship being put up on the forecastle with a set of sound powered phones, binos, life jacket, safety line, and a boathook on "mail buoy watch".

Guys on the bridge were calling out bearing and distance over the phones, asking why the heck couldn't he see it yet.....<good times>
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:58:03 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Snuffy "oh ok"

yeah_ok.gif

View Quote

It all started about the time these were being passed out, in basic training:

They're issued on receipt of a completed form ID 10T. PMCS for these units require replacing the power source,  a single BA 1100N, every 120 days.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:03:22 AM EDT
[#26]
We sent a new airman to the base hospital to find us some more fallopian tubes.  

We also had a pair of E-2s out on the flightline with huge plastic bags gathering air for "flightline air quality samples."
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:06:08 AM EDT
[#27]
We used to send new privates to the OBGYN for their Pap Smear. By that point they have had so many shots, and tests that they wouldn't question another visit to the doctor.

Also, at Benning we got pranked with the infamous "nut shot". I feel like the entire base was in on that prank, and I hope they still pull it on new guys today
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Shoulda kicked him in the dick.

On a related note, we got a boot LT to request a PRC-E5 from supply
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:11:03 AM EDT
[#29]
That shit has been under the "hazing" umbrella since about 2004 by DoD instruction.

Fucking stupid, but brought to us by the nanny state.

No Mail Buoy watch either.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:12:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Chem light batteries, 25mm blank adapter

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:12:45 AM EDT
[#31]
I commonly tell new flight liners to go get me a bucket of rotor wash so we can get prepped for the track and balance.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:13:11 AM EDT
[#32]
These forms are used often at my squadron.....

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:13:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Tell him that he needs to get 50 feet of flightline next!

And then he will need to fill out the ID10T form!
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:19:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Fun was had
View Quote

Some guys in my platoon got a new private to tell Top we needed a prick E-8 that didn't work that we could use for training. Many pushups were done that day -by everyone.

I never fell for any pranks, but the opposite happened. i refused to get something we actually needed because I thought it was a prank. There's a tool commonly called a dog bone' used for compressing road arms. The mechanic working on our vehicle asked me to get one for him, and I was like "I ain't asking the tool-room guy for a fuckin' dog bone".
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:19:44 AM EDT
[#35]
My old shop was next to NDI (non destructive inspection) shop, so we would send our new guys over there to have their newly issued steel toe boots inspected for cracks.  Wouldn't you know, they always found cracks.  So then we would send them around with their red tagged boots trying to get a crack waiver.  One time our commander was in on in and the guy reported to him, the commander asked the guy where he was from and he said Mississippi.  The commanders response was "good, then you should be used to walking around barefooted".

Speaking of cracks, one of our  new maintenance officers fell victim to the crack in the intake prank.

One of the grossest ones was when they could get new guys to use a finger to check the "the reverse pitot tube" for blockage.  The C-130 did not have a reverse pitot tube, but it did have a urinal drain tube.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:21:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
In Boy Scouts we used to send people around for left-handed smoke shifters and bacon stretchers.

View Quote

I never understood how sending kids out poaching and then convincing them later that a real bird doesn't exist was funny.

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:21:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
That shit has been under the "hazing" umbrella since about 2004 by DoD instruction.

Fucking stupid, but brought to us by the nanny state.

No Mail Buoy watch either.
View Quote

My little bro is a Sgt. in the army now, and he can't make his squad do pushups, because it's hazing. He has to write them up instead.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:23:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Duct tape him to the water cooler with a sign that says, "This is hazing."
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:24:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Ever try to find food for a gammagoat?

View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:25:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I never fell for any pranks, but the opposite happened. i refused to get something we actually needed because I thought it was a prank. There's a tool commonly called a dog bone' used for compressing road arms. The mechanic working on our vehicle asked me to get one for him, and I was like "I ain't asking the tool-room guy for a fuckin' dog bone".
View Quote

Kinda like the ubiquitous "donkey dick".  Not only was is a real tool, so many tools earned that nickname that the tool room guy would ask which one.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:26:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I never understood how sending kids out poaching and then convincing them later that a real bird doesn't exist was funny.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/images/wildlife_images/wdckcrowsrg11.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife still does not believe me that there ARE really snipes.  Even when I showed her the NC hunting seasons for them.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:30:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Pipe stretchers, blinker fluid, diesel spark plugs...All good stuff.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:30:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Squelch Grease
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#44]

I never did find the "Stretcher, Paper, 1 Each.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:36:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:54:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Annual snipe hunt in boy scouts was one of my favorite past-times.

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:59:51 AM EDT
[#47]
E-tool qualification:

The blindfolded private is tested to see how deep a hole he can make in the dirt in ten seconds, with an angled E-tool.

Take his cover off, put on blindfold, have him take one practice swing at the deck.  Ready...go!

Remove blindfold.  Reveal hacked up and destroyed cover.  Laugh.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 11:03:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Grid squares

You can buy grid squares off amazon.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 11:27:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Very similar to the construction industry. I know a guy whose business is old-school repairs to homes in historical districts, where the appearance needs to be as period-authentic as possible.

He had a job replacing all the window sash ropes in a house with chain. He also had a helper who was a whiny, lazy, pain in the ass.

They were taking the windows apart one morning and the helper wouldn't stop complaining. Parking's hard around here. I hate vacuuming up all the dirt while we're working. They oughta just let 'em put new windows in.

So they pulled a window apart, and Bob says, "Oh, look, this is wrong. The put a short weight in this one. I need you to go to the hardware store and ask them for a long weight".

The kid leaves, Bob calls down to the store, where his buddy works.

When the kid gets there, he tells the counter guy, "I work for XX Renovation, and I'm here for a long weight".

The guy tells him, "Okay, but you might want to have a seat, it might take a while".   LOL

The kid figured it out an hour later........
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 11:35:08 AM EDT
[#50]
We use to have new recruits at the department push a penny across the bay floor to get their badge.  And they had to use a medicine cup to refill the drinking fountain.......I guess that is the fire service.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top