Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/20/2015 7:31:20 PM EDT
In the Marine Corps if you have a shadow you get bent.

I was always told the reason we shaved was for the gas mask. After going through the CS chamber I believed it. When they told us to take the mask off and take a breath... Fuck that hurt.

SEAL's don't need gas masks? It seems every movie every SEAL has a beard. Do they chew CS gas like bubble gum?

I've never met a SEAL so that's why I ask.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Gas masks are for pussies.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:33:31 PM EDT
[#2]
In the current conflict I believe it allows them blend with the natives if they had to.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:33:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Beards are more camo than bare faces.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Because beards are fucking awesome!
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:34:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Gas Masks would totally mess up their hair which is the equivalent of dying, so no need.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:34:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In the current conflict I believe it allows them blend with the natives if they had to.
View Quote

No, it is to gain trust of the natives (also a morale booster).
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:34:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Gas masks are for pussies.
View Quote

This, and who's going to tell them to shave?  some don't shave so they fit in off the post in the Middle East most locals have beards
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:34:37 PM EDT
[#8]
The guys that I worked with had a reputation from the enemy. Big Army would get shot at often but they don't mess with the bearded ones.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:35:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a beard.

I look bad ass

They copied.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:35:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, and the special forces guys were sent in first to hook up with the local resistance/Northern Alliance or whatever so they grew them to connect with the locals better.  In their culture if you don't have a beard you're not a man or whatever.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:35:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Because a Teamguy's beard is actually HEPA and 3M approved.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#12]
They don't unless they are deployed/deploying/on call for an area where it would benefit them
And then even, some don't
My friend is assigned to a team and he doesn't sport a beard.  He goes everywhere they go
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:36:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hmm I suppose that makes sence.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:36:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I was always told the reason we shaved was for the gas mask. After going through the CS chamber I believed it. When they told us to take the mask off and take a breath...
Fuck that hurt
View Quote

SEAL's don't need gas masks? It seems every movie every SEAL has a beard. Do they chew CS gas like bubble gum?

View Quote

Did you have to do it in the "Front Leaning Rest positon"?  I don't remember pain but it did clear my sinuses out in a hurry.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:42:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Because when you're a ruler you get to do what you want
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have 0 knowledge of things badassery, except for that I have read that beards were requested to be grown out as above.  The locals don't respect the men without them.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:43:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Modified Grooming Standards.

Sometimes you will see Marine Security Guards plain clothes with beards and long hair.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:44:07 PM EDT
[#18]
The we have beard to fit in with the locals is Bullshit.  They are basically shiny things, they do it because they can.  Most combat FID is done by conventional forces and they don't grow beards.  And going down that line of thought most of the local don't respect non-Muslims do we all convert to Islam to fit in the locals?  I have even asked Iraqis I have advised and they all say you are Americans, why would we expect you to be exactly like us?

Additional many SOF forces don't interact with locals, except for during raids, the colored/number tasks force are hunters and not advisors.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:44:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Beards make you 87% more combat effective.

Unless you're a Marine grunt, nothing gets more combat effective than that.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:45:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Sometimes you will see Marine Security Guards plain clothes with beards and long hair.
View Quote

MSGs are not allowed to grow beards, the most the can do is in limited circumstances wear contractor wear instead of their uniforms.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:45:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Gas masks are dumb, I don't even know why the military trains with or issues them.  I couldn't wear one at different times during the 20 years I was in due to asthma  and breathing issues, but was still issued one.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:46:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I just want to know why they have apostrophes.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:46:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

MSGs are not allowed to grow beards, the most the can do is in limited circumstances wear contractor wear instead of their uniforms.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That might be the current regulation but that has not always been the case.

Or as we have discussed in other threads the edicts of Headquarters USMC are not always how things play out in the real world.

GUIDANCE ON RELAXED GROOMING STANDARDS FOR MALE MARINES
Date Signed: 5/1/2002
MARADMINS Active Number: 242/02
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The we have beard to fit in with the locals is Bullshit.  They are basically shiny things, they do it because they can.  Most combat FID is done by conventional forces and they don't grow beards.  And going down that line of thought most of the local don't respect non-Muslims do we all convert to Islam to fit in the locals?  I have even asked Iraqis I have advised and they all say you are Americans, why would we expect you to be exactly like us?

Additional many SOF forces don't interact with locals, except for during raids, the colored/number tasks force are hunters and not advisors.
View Quote

Yep.  The locals thing is BS.

I think when you get the level of being SF, SEAL, CAG, etc.. they really only worry about shit that actually matters.  Not the petty bullshit that the grunts have to do (shaving, regular haircuts, always in a proper uniform, etc) in order to keep discipline in the ranks.

SEALs and the like have proven themselves beyond and doubt, so there is no worry about them suddenly becoming shitbags because they had a beard and long hair while they wore flip flops to the chow hall.  At least thats my theory on the matter.

I could just see all the CSMs on the FOB's heads explode the month or so we had some SEALs staying at our FOB.  Camo pants, civilian t-shirt, beard, long hair, flip flops.. and rolled straight into the chow hall without giving a single fuck what anyone had to say about it
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:49:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Been that way since Frank Baker has been their Executive Director, and he has been there over a decade.  When something happens with the MSG program, the first stop is the 3 Star, DC PP&O, than it goes right to the commandant.  DC PP&O's 2 Star equivalent SES runs policy and regs for the program and I could not see Mr Geoffroy approving anything like that.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:49:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I think when you get the level of being SF, SEAL, CAG, etc.. they really only worry about shit that actually matters.  Not the petty bullshit that the grunts have to do (shaving, regular haircuts, always in a proper uniform, etc) in order to keep discipline in the ranks.

SEALs and the like have proven themselves beyond and doubt, so there is no worry about them suddenly becoming shitbags because they had a beard and long hair while they wore flip flops to the chow hall.  At least thats my theory on the matter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a generally low option of the infantry skills of your average Navy SEAL. This is primarily because they do not draw from line infantry units.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I just want to know why they have apostrophes.
View Quote

Bravo sir. First out loud laugh I had today.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:50:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have you seen the natives in afg and Iraq?
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:50:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am an army brat. But we lived near a naval base.   back then sailors could have beards.    
My 11B dad  looked at them like hippies.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:50:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Been that way since Frank Baker has been their Executive Director, and he has been there over a decade.  When something happens with the MSG program, the first stop is the 3 Star, DC PP&O, than it goes right to the commandant.  DC PP&O's 2 Star equivalent SES runs policy and regs for the program and I could not see Mr Geoffroy approving anything like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are such a pogue I hate you.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:51:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Respect
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:52:12 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote

Face ghillie>face camo
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#33]
So they can look more like their mothers.

Wait, wrong punchline...
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:52:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I have a generally low option of the infantry skills of your average Navy SEAL. This is primarily because they do not draw from line infantry units.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have heard that quite a bit, but zero first hand experience with it.  It makes sense, as they train for very specific missions, and every day grunt shit probably isn't one of them.  When basically any Army or Marine SF type person learned to be a grunt before they learned anything else.

Don't SEALs often roll with Rangers for that reason?
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:54:04 PM EDT
[#35]
They eat kevlar and grow face armor.

Bilster

PS

Fuck Obama
Fuck Biden
Fuck Holder
Fuck Cuomo
Fuck Swinestain

PPS

BHO is gay and had an affair with Larry Sinclair
Michelle is actually a guy or a female shaved wookie.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:55:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The guys that I worked with had a reputation from the enemy. Big Army would get shot at often but they don't mess with the bearded ones.
View Quote

Like Army Special Forces with beards..

Oh and BO and stuff..
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:56:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I have heard that quite a bit, but zero first hand experience with it.  It makes sense, as they train for very specific missions, and every day grunt shit probably isn't one of them.  When basically any Army or Marine SF type person learned to be a grunt before they learned anything else.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sort of a old belief all that Rangers did was provide support to JSOC units.  Since the GWOT Rangers have pretty much become a limited capability special mission unit in their own right and did a large portion of the raids in OIF and OEF.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:58:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
-

Those skills and/or the lack thereof came up quite often during discussions of the "lone survivor" incident.

Heck, basic skills taught to any regular soldier or Marine of any MOS is pretty different than what a regular sailor gets at Great Lakes.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:00:01 PM EDT
[#39]
That "beard  negates gasmask"  bullshit needs to stop.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:01:44 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I was always told the reason we shaved was for the gas mask. After going through the CS chamber I believed it. When they told us to take the mask off and take a breath... Fuck that hurt.

View Quote
At Great Lakes where I went to boot I remember the the gas shack, I was fine until they said over that little speaker, "remove your masks"  I followed the instructions to the letter, I never touched my eyes or rubbed them, I breathed normal as I could, no choking, no burning really to speak of either, eyes watering like crazy but that was about it.

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:07:22 PM EDT
[#41]
The beard is the gas mask.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:09:48 PM EDT
[#42]
"Michelle is actually a guy or a female shaved wookie."

My money is on the shaved Wookie... not certain of the sex.

Flash
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:11:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
That "beard  negates gasmask"  bullshit needs to stop.
View Quote

I agree but 20+ years ago the Marine Corps made a point of it. When inspection time, your shave was part of it.

Now today I see beards, just asking about the change in the times.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Respect too, in certain parts of the world.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it?  I was always under the impression that it's true, at least in some parts of the Middle East.  I wasn't sure about Afghanistan and Central Asia, but some posters here have mentioned that area as having a similar custom.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:16:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
At Great Lakes where I went to boot I remember the the gas shack, I was fine until they said over that little speaker, "remove your masks"  I followed the instructions to the letter, I never touched my eyes or rubbed them, I breathed normal as I could, no choking, no burning really to speak of either, eyes watering like crazy but that was about it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At camp Pendleton they put you into a little room and everyone backed up against the wall. They lit something that had smoke and it it soon filled the room.

When you had to take your mask off it burned your throat, torched your eyes and made your nose piss.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:22:54 PM EDT
[#46]
I believe that anybody in the Navy can sport a beard.  Just not a mustache alone.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:23:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I believe that anybody in the Navy can sport a beard.  Just not a mustache alone.
View Quote

Beards have been out since 1984.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:27:11 PM EDT
[#48]
the gas mask concept is silly. Our nato counterparts (especially in the navy) allow for beards in many of the forces. They are issued the same gas mask as us. My deputy commodore with ctf52 had a full beard. Always told us that by the time we realized there was a chemical or biological attack, it would be far too late for the mask. As others have said, I worked with the teams off and on for years, and those guys only had beards on deployment and most of them don't then. Stateside their grooming standards were expected to be the same as the rest of us
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:28:59 PM EDT
[#49]
The same reason I grow a mustache.

Because I can.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:29:37 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm surprised nobody has pointed out the obvious yet.

SEALs wear beards to cushion the blow when Chris Kyle punches them.

Duh.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top