Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2015 9:28:06 PM EDT
I'm a proud NRA member and I give a lot of the time when they call, but the pitch this time had me baffled.

Apparently the caller was calling because Wayne LaPierre asked her to give me a call to let me know that we are entering the most dangerous two years for gun rights as Obama heads into the end of his presidency. It seems that Obama has vowed to fundamentally transform this country and gun rights are at the top of his list. According to the caller, Obama isn't interested in working with Congress or the Courts and is certainly not interested in the opinions of law abiding gun owners. He has a phone and a pen and is willing to go it alone. They needed $50 for me to help stop him.

So if Obama is set on eliminating gun rights, is willing to go it alone, and doesn't care what Congress, the courts or gun owners have to say, then what the hell good is my donation going to be?

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:31:35 PM EDT
[#1]
It will help Wayne buy a new suit to meet the press in, and tell them he is saddened by the prez's actions.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:31:40 PM EDT
[#2]
They called me yesterday and said I could upgrade from lifer to ninjitsu for $200.

THROWING STARS BITCHES.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:40:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I got the same call a couple of weeks ago. The past few years have been kinda rough financially, but this time I felt like I could part with the 50 without it being a major burden. So I did.

But to answer your question, it won't stop Obama, but it may influence congresscritters who might otherwise be inclined to just roll over.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:44:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:45:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I guess we were about do for another NRA bash thread.
View Quote
OK

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:46:03 PM EDT
[#6]
You should never donate using this method.  The NRA is contracted with a 3rd party telemarketer that gets a portion everytime you donate.  Send directly to the NRA.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:46:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is sounding that way. Awaiting the arrival of the usual suspects
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:46:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, the numerous lawsuits they file on our behalf are free.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:48:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Odd. They've never called me.

The SAF on the other hand...
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:50:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

I'm not bashing the NRA. But their pitch on this one could use a little work.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:51:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:51:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Weird when a organization who depends on donations asks for donations.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:52:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I support the NRA, I am a life member, so is my wife.  But their beg-a-thon rivals PBS.  And that really pisses me off.  I give money regularly but the calls are endless.  Even asking to not solicit me has not helped.  

I give this as example - we moved and I called Playboy and the NRA to change addresses.  Playboy was literally a 4 minute call with the cue - "have a nice day, all is set."

18 minutes in, I had to cut off the woman for the NRA mid-pitch for more money to change the address and rudely ask - "is my address changed and can I bloody hang up?"  She kept going, and after repeated attempts to repeat my question I finally  shouting they wouldn't get a red cent from me from now on and hung up.  

I understand the need but they need to have a modicum of respect for their base.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:53:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I love the NRA and the work they do (see Eagle), but it seems like we are always in the 'most dangerous times' with them.

Thankfully, I'm on the 'Do not promote' list.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:53:57 PM EDT
[#15]
The NRA turned me into a newt!
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:54:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I love the NRA (see Eagle), but it seems like we are always in the 'most dangerous times' with them.

View Quote

How do you get the eagle?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:57:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love the NRA (see Eagle), but it seems like we are always in the 'most dangerous times' with them.

If you're a life member or higher, send an email to  [email protected] with your credentials. (photo of membership card, screenshot showing life member status)
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:02:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:05:14 PM EDT
[#19]
They call or email me every 87 minutes
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:36:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I got the same call today too. I let her go through he whole spiel, which was very poorly delivered and written, then politely said I believe my membership doesn't expire until 2020.  She looked it up and sure enough I was right. I get what they are doing and it's all fine, but would it not be more effective, and save them money if they filtered the list of people to call first?  Do I want to add another 5 years on top of the 5 years I have left... no, not really.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:42:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Q: How can I reduce the amount of mail I receive from the NRA?

A: Simply email us at [email protected] or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list. This will significantly reduce the amount of mail you receive without affecting important mailings, magazine service, or your membership renewal.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:45:55 PM EDT
[#22]
I live in Colorado where the tireless efforts of the NRA got some pissants recalled but the mag capacity ban and bullshit background check/transfer laws remain
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:55:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

due?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:57:40 PM EDT
[#24]
They must have lost my number.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:57:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I finally joined yesterday. Got a 1-year membership for $10 at the gun show.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:58:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:01:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Dont get yourself in a twist over it....gun issues are something you probably know a little more about than their target audience....answer the phone...thank you no and let them get to the next person who will give them $50
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:02:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm a proud NRA member and I give a lot of the time when they call, but the pitch this time had me baffled.

Apparently the caller was calling because Wayne LaPierre asked her to give me a call to let me know that we are entering the most dangerous two years for gun rights as Obama heads into the end of his presidency. It seems that Obama has vowed to fundamentally transform this country and gun rights are at the top of his list. According to the caller, Obama isn't interested in working with Congress or the Courts and is certainly not interested in the opinions of law abiding gun owners. He has a phone and a pen and is willing to go it alone. They needed $50 for me to help stop him.

So if Obama is set on eliminating gun rights, is willing to go it alone, and doesn't care what Congress, the courts or gun owners have to say, then what the hell good is my donation going to be?

View Quote

It'll help pay for Pierres heated pool and inflated salary. Plus, those letters aint free ya know
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:03:33 PM EDT
[#29]
The times I have been an NRA member I never got phone calls or junk mail or anything.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:04:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Thank you for doing your part.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda like the donation plate at church?

As long as I spend $10 I can sit around and do nothing? sweet Maybe I had it all wrong.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:05:26 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote
Well it's getting slow..

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:07:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It's not going to be affective on or really meant for people who stay on top of the current battles in the gun wars. The speeches these telemarketers are reading, are for those that don't normally pay attention. My guess is that they're successful or they wouldn't keep doing it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not going to be affective on or really meant for people who stay on top of the current battles in the gun wars. The speeches these telemarketers are reading, are for those that don't normally pay attention. My guess is that they're successful or they wouldn't keep doing it.

Problem is public image & accountability.

When you have a group of individuals that try to support a "Sport" that is representatie of a base that holds it true to a "Right", you have a dogmatic disconnect.

Further that with the fact the higher-ups bank way too much for those supporting "Rights", appear to only be in it for the money. The constant money grabbing only goes to show the disconnect as well as widen the gap.

Don't hate on me, they created their own conundrum.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:10:16 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

When you have a group of individuals that try to support a "Sport" that is representatie of a base that holds it true to a "Right", you have a dogmatic disconnect.

Further that with the fact the higher-ups bank way too much for those supporting "Rights", appear to only be in it for the money. The constant money grabbing only goes to show the disconnect as well as widen the gap.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The NRA is the 800 lb. Gorilla.

They are the ones who have Congress scared shitless to touch gun control. Even when Pelosi and Reed were in charge, they had no balls to go after guns. Why? Because of the NRA.

I'm just saying that the script on this one doesn't make any damn sense.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:10:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

As long as I spend $10 I can sit around and do nothing? sweet Maybe I had it all wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You bring up an interesting perspective of analogous mindsets.

"As long as I give on Sunday, that makes me a good Christian."

"As long as I donate to the NRA, I support mine & Others 2A Rights."

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:13:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

They are the ones who have Congress scared shitless to touch gun control. Even when Pelosi and Reed were in charge, they had no balls to go after guns. Why? Because of the NRA.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would mildly disagree. As a lobby group they have only so much cloute.

It was the tens of MILLIONS of phone calls by private citizens that stopped the AWB in it's tracks. I was told by my Senators office that the NRA had very little to do with his vote. It was the hundreds of thousands of his constituents that called "personally" that made him stand firm in his resolve to cast his pre-determined "Nay" vote.

They can only do so much.

It is up to the lazy couch potatoes to actually take 10 frickin minutes out of their busy schedule to call their Reps & let their voices be heard. The over statement of the NRA'a involvement only goes to lessen the actual impactual effect the voters have by subsequently giving a false sense of security of their impact on such matters.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:52:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would anyone want to be a member of an organization that tries to scare and lie to you into giving them money?

I'm guessing the same person that wrote that script writes pierres speeches.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:54:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:30:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are some ways that you would suggest as to how I might support mine and others' 2A rights?
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:34:11 AM EDT
[#39]
FBH
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:45:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Wayne makes, I believe, over a million a year.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:48:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is "bashing"? lol
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:55:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:01:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
You should never donate using this method.  The NRA is contracted with a 3rd party telemarketer that gets a portion everytime you donate.  Send directly to the NRA.
View Quote

Exactly.  It's the 21st goddamned century.  Donate directly via the NRA-ILA website.

I wouldn't give money to any cold caller.  FYI, there's a scammer calling themselves National Recovery Agency that would be all too happy to take your money.  Best case it is a telemarketer calling on behalf of the real NRA and you're giving commission to a 2-time Obama voter.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:02:41 AM EDT
[#44]

Don't bash our 800 lb Gorilla. You will miss him if he goes away.

Keep him well fed and happy.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:07:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Second, how much should the leader of an org that guided the org from <1,000,000 to >5,000,000 make?  
View Quote

I would say Obama helped a bit with the numbers whether he wanted to or not.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:24:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
They called me yesterday and said I could upgrade from lifer to ninjitsu for $200.

THROWING STARS BITCHES.
View Quote

I would FO on that, did they offer nunchucks?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top