Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/18/2015 10:02:18 AM EDT
Have used Scott's weed and feed for the past couple years.  (since we bought the house) and my lawn is still as crappy and weed infested as the day we bought it.

Dandilions?  Check.
Chickweed?  Oh yeah.
White clover?  Yes.
Ground ivey?  Check.
Crab grass?  Yep.
Prickly lettuce?  Yes sir.
Wild onion?  Yep, found some of that yesterday.

And a few others that I can't identify.  Does anyone use Tru Green?  What does it cost per year, and how do you like the service?

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:06:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you use the kind that mixes with water and you apply with a garden hose or the dry with a spreader?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:07:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Same problem here and the Scott's weed and feed is a joke!!!!.  I am gonna talk to my landscaper and see what he recommends to kill all that shit.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:08:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you use the kind that mixes with water and you apply with a garden hose or the dry with a spreader?
View Quote

Spreader.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:09:08 AM EDT
[#4]
+1. I have come to the realization that I just need to pay a professional.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:09:32 AM EDT
[#5]
You know it is all green when you mow it .
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:09:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Have used Scott's weed and feed for the past couple years.  (since we bought the house) and my lawn is still as crappy and weed infested as the day we bought it.

Dandilions?  Check.
Chickweed?  Oh yeah.
White clover?  Yes.
Ground ivey?  Check.
Crab grass?  Yep.

And a few others that I can't identify.  Does anyone use Tru Green?  What does it cost per year, and how do you like the service?

View Quote

I am in the same boat brother.  I got a new mower and now keep it short enough that at least it is green (which is distinct here in Texas).  Looks great from a distance

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:10:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Its not the product, it has to be how you are applying it. I use it with great results but its not a 1 shot and done deal.

When do apply it?  When do you put down your grass seed? You should do both in late fall and then Feb/Mar. You also have to wait after you put the weed and feed down before you can do grass seed.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:11:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Is it getting watered in properly or rained on within a few days?

I use it and it readily kills most of the weeds within a week or so. I use the granular with a walk behind spreader. Also, be sure you are using the corret settings that are on the bag. Different spreaders use different settings. I just use the Scott spreader so I know it is correct.

Only issue I have with it is it makes me have to mow twice as often. (Centipede)

I wish they just made the "Weed" without the "Feed"
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:12:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I am in the same boat brother.  I got a new mower and now keep it short enough that at least it is green (which is distinct here in Texas).  Looks great from a distance

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dandilions?  Check.
Chickweed?  Oh yeah.
White clover?  Yes.
Ground ivey?  Check.
Crab grass?  Yep.

Ha yup same boat. One of my neighbors actually said fuck it years ago and white rocked his front yard :).
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:12:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
+1. I have come to the realization that I just need to pay a professional.
View Quote

I have a little bit of yard envy from my next door neighbor, his grass is all full, with ZERO weeds.  I know he pays some company to come out and tend to it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:13:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Scott's weed and feed isn't really your best option according to what i have learned.  It is harmful to trees.  

A better approach would be to use a quality fertilizer for just that purpose four times a year, then attack the weeds separately.  You should look into pre and post emergent but understand timing of application is critical.  

Pre-emergent herbicides are designed for application before the targeted weed germinates, and are an effective preventative method for controlling weeds. Crabgrass preventer is a good example. Pre-emergents establish a chemical barrier that will not kill established plants, but will prevent weeds from successfully growing. The protective barrier breaks down in six to eight weeks. Use of a pre-emergent, therefore, requires proper timing to be effective – apply them very early in the season. Be aware that pre-emergents can harm some desirable ornamental plants and turf grasses. As always, read and follow the manufacturer's instructions.

Post-emergent herbicides are designed to attack weeds that are already established and growing. All of the contact weed killers are post-emergents. Apply post-emergents later in the growing season, after weeds are established but before they have gone to seed.

The timing of pre- and post-emergent herbicide application is critical. Applying them too later or too early is basically a waste of time and the herbicide.

Last step would be a general weed killer used sparingly to kill concentrated pockets of weeds.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:13:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:18:04 AM EDT
[#13]
2, 4-D is what you seek.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:22:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
2, 4-D is what you seek.

View Quote

This, or curtail. Dry spread herbicides are a bad joke.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:22:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
2, 4-D is what you seek.

View Quote

In TX, you have to have sprayer's license to buy them.  OK, you don't.  

Good thing I live close to OK border.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:31:13 AM EDT
[#16]
I will jump in here as the owner of a lawn/landscape company. When using a granular weed and feed the lawn (grass and weeds) needs to be wet so the product adheres to the leaf. It is a contact herbicide, has no activity through the roots. You do not want any rain for 24 hours. You will need more than on application, about 6-8 weeks apart. Once you get the weeds under control you can use a one gallon hand sprayer to spot spray. Best time to control broadleaf weeds is September and October.

EDIT: call Trugreen and ask for a price to do one app of fertilizer/weed control. After that you should be fine on your own.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:31:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Diesel applied from a pump sprayer at night will fix the envy problem
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:33:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Weed B Gone.

Mix it 2 ounces per gallon and spray the little weeds to death.

Works in my yard.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:35:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Lesco
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:36:25 AM EDT
[#20]
You need to get the lawn grass to be the dominant plant in your lawn otherwise the weeds will win, weed and feed or not.

Start by checking your soil.  What's in it and what isn't.  Weeds grow great in places that lawn grasses don't.  Compacted dirt, no organics, too much thatch, wrong pH, etc. all of that will keep lawn grass in check.

My last place had a quarter acre of lawn/weeds.  I aerated, added soil amendments, tore out the big patches of weeds, reseeded those spots, and weeded by hand the first year I was there.  The next year, I did the consumer weed and feed routine.  On the third year, it looked like what Mech2007 posted.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:36:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Southern States did carry a broadleaf and weed killer grandular. This was not a fertilizer. It worked great. I see it advertised but the two local to me hasn't had any in 2 years. I walk in with the sales flyer showing the stuff on sale and I get the everytime.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:38:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Battleship iii, mix according to label.  I fired  my lawn care companies and do everything myself now.  lawn looks much better and shit isnt sprayed where it shouldnt be.  i have a pull behind sprayer to apply this and also do foliar feedings.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/battleship-iii-herbicide-25-gallon-p-1502.html
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:41:10 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

You know it is all green when you mow it .
View Quote
+1

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:41:59 AM EDT
[#24]
I learned years ago that it's better to spray. Ortho Weed B Gone works fine.  Once the whole lawn is done it only takes spot spraying a couple of times per year to keep all that stuff under control.  I don't know any landscape service who uses granular wee and feed.  ymmv
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:42:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Same problem here.  I found a chemical Sulfentrazone will kill almost everything you listed, and hasn't yet seemed to harm my grass.  

I bought a small bottle and did some spot tests in the backyard, kills the weeks you listed (even sedges) in about a week.  

I talked with a landscaper to told me to spray in Sept/Oct, fertilize as well.  Then spray again in very early spring, right when you see the first weed pop up.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:44:14 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Battleship iii, mix according to label.  I fired  my lawn care companies and do everything myself now.  lawn looks much better and shit isnt sprayed where it shouldnt be.  i have a pull behind sprayer to apply this and also do foliar feedings.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/battleship-iii-herbicide-25-gallon-p-1502.html
View Quote
The more states that ban a product, the better it works.........

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:45:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:45:25 AM EDT
[#28]
The .Gov has forced the weed killers to be nuetered and they all are weak,

Even the lawn services cannot use the chemicals they used to.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:48:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Paging ar-jedi
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:48:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Shrug.

Scott's works for me. I apply it in the early spring and in summer. A month after putting the weed and feed down, I'll brodcast some grass seed. It keeps the weeds burned back, and the lawn full and a deep green. My lawn is about 10,000 sq ft in the back yard and is irrigated with gear driven sprinklers.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:49:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the kind you need to use.
If you read the directions on the granules, it says to apply to a wet lawn so the granules"stick" to the weeds.
FUCK that.  Even when wet, I don't see much sticking to the weeds.

I went with liquid this year and it worked out much better than all the weed n feed I've used in the past.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:51:17 AM EDT
[#32]
This is a mix of Scott's and Anderson's fertilizers.  I spot pull weeds as Im mowing (dandelion here and there) and use a rotary spreader (I ditched the drop spreader.)  I keep the grass mowed high instead of butching it to promote good, healthy roots.  I add water when we start getting behind in the monthly avg rainfall.

I gave up trying to kill weeds and instead focused on promoting a healthy lawn to push out the weeds.

I found that keeping up on the applications is key.  Missing or delaying one can have pretty big results.  And I think the most important application is probably the late fall feeding after I do all of the leaves.  The lawn seems to 'wake up' almost completely weed free and super lush.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:55:19 AM EDT
[#33]
2-4-D. It's the active ingredient in many of the broadleaf weed killers. You don't need to buy Ortho or any other name brand. 2-4-D should be the main ingredient listed, even in the generic brands.

If you want to kill everything, look for glyphosate. That's the active ingredient in Round Up and you can get that generically as well. Farm Supply type stores have these types in generic brands frequently in heavier concentrations and for less money than "garden departments" at the box stores.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:14:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Dandilions?  Check.
Chickweed?  Oh yeah.
White clover?  Yes.
Ground ivey?  Check.
Crab grass?  Yep.

View Quote

That shit is a joke.   Use a selective weed killer from a sprayer.  

Crabgrass is damn near impossible to kill, though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:16:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This is a mix of Scott's and Anderson's fertilizers.  I spot pull weeds as Im mowing (dandelion here and there) and use a rotary spreader (I ditched the drop spreader.)  I keep the grass mowed high instead of butching it to promote good, healthy roots.  I add water when we start getting behind in the monthly avg rainfall.

I gave up trying to kill weeds and instead focused on promoting a healthy lawn to push out the weeds.

I found that keeping up on the applications is key.  Missing or delaying one can have pretty big results.  And I think the most important application is probably the late fall feeding after I do all of the leaves.  The lawn seems to 'wake up' almost completely weed free and super lush.

http://www.go-itech.com/lawn.jpg
View Quote

Thats a very nice looking lawn.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:16:37 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dandilions?  Check.

Chickweed?  Oh yeah.

White clover?  Yes.

Ground ivey?  Check.

Crab grass?  Yep.

I am killing it with baking soda, but St. Augustine grass is salt tolerant.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:16:53 AM EDT
[#37]
I call my lawn "The Weeds that I mow".  Actually the kid mows them, but they are still weeds

I will probably need to mow in the next week or so.  Turned green and started growing last week
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:19:16 AM EDT
[#38]
#weedslivesmatter!
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:22:29 AM EDT
[#39]
I have 2.5 acres of a weedy lawn.  I use roundup for general landscaping and as a substitute for weed eating.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:30:22 AM EDT
[#40]
anybody got anything for annual bluegrass...been here a few years and it went from nothing to 3/4 of my back yard in one season
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:39:47 AM EDT
[#41]
In my amateur experience, the drop/rotary spreader stuff does dick for weeds but fertilizes pretty well.  I agree that it would probably work better if I did everything right but ain't nobody got time fo that.

The stuff you connect a hose to and spray on the other hand works quite well.  The first application halts them and the second seems to eradicate any survivors.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#42]

I am jelly.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:30:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I am jelly.
View All Quotes

Me thinks the link name includes a clue....

Honestly if this was out forever home I'd put down landscape rocks long ago.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:36:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

LOL - but this gives me an idea.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:41:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I will jump in here as the owner of a lawn/landscape company. When using a granular weed and feed the lawn (grass and weeds) needs to be wet so the product adheres to the leaf. It is a contact herbicide, has no activity through the roots. You do not want any rain for 24 hours. You will need more than on application, about 6-8 weeks apart. Once you get the weeds under control you can use a one gallon hand sprayer to spot spray. Best time to control broadleaf weeds is September and October.

EDIT: call Trugreen and ask for a price to do one app of fertilizer/weed control. After that you should be fine on your own.
View Quote

When I cared more I did this method with Scotts and I think Ortho to hand spray.  It worked great but I've tken a break for the last couple of years and only treat once per year so my yard looks OK.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:44:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Dandilions?  Check.
Chickweed?  Oh yeah.
White clover?  Yes.
Ground ivey?  Check.
Crab grass?  Yep.

View Quote

Chickweed, Clover, and Ground Ivy can be tough to kill with products containing 2-4-D. A lot of the time it burns to top vegetation off but doesn't kill the plant so it grows back.
You need to use a specialty  spray for them.

Like this stuff. It contains Triclopyr
http://www.ortho.com/smg/goprod/ortho-weed-b-gon-chickweed-clover-oxalis-killer/prod70214
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:48:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Local pool guy (going out of business) just got busted for dumping 500lbs. of sodium hydroxide (lye) in a public dumpster, that should help with the weeds

or hooker disposal.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:53:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Scott's weed and feed isn't really your best option according to what i have learned.  It is harmful to trees.  

A better approach would be to use a quality fertilizer for just that purpose four times a year, then attack the weeds separately.  You should look into pre and post emergent but understand timing of application is critical.  

Pre-emergent herbicides are designed for application before the targeted weed germinates, and are an effective preventative method for controlling weeds. Crabgrass preventer is a good example. Pre-emergents establish a chemical barrier that will not kill established plants, but will prevent weeds from successfully growing. The protective barrier breaks down in six to eight weeks. Use of a pre-emergent, therefore, requires proper timing to be effective – apply them very early in the season. Be aware that pre-emergents can harm some desirable ornamental plants and turf grasses. As always, read and follow the manufacturer's instructions.

Post-emergent herbicides are designed to attack weeds that are already established and growing. All of the contact weed killers are post-emergents. Apply post-emergents later in the growing season, after weeds are established but before they have gone to seed.

The timing of pre- and post-emergent herbicide application is critical. Applying them too later or too early is basically a waste of time and the herbicide.

Last step would be a general weed killer used sparingly to kill concentrated pockets of weeds.
View Quote

This.  My yard was fucked when I bought the house last year.  Full of crabgrass.  Paid a pro to weed and feed in the fall and put down pre-ermergent & fertilizer mix with a spreader this spring.  Looks great.  Still need to put down topsoil and seed some patches that were pure crabgrass.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:56:10 PM EDT
[#49]
It took me 3 years of Scotts (yellow bag) to clear out all the shit weeds....

You also have to plant grass seed where its sparse to choke out potential new weed growth.....and water the lawn.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:57:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Dandilions?  Check.
Chickweed?  Oh yeah.
White clover?  Yes.
Ground ivey?  Check.
Crab grass?  Yep.

And a few others that I can't identify.
View Quote

Looks like you have much of this chart covered!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top