Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/18/2015 9:56:00 PM EDT
Evening fellow drunken GDers, I've figured out what I'm going to spend my summer building (college kid, I only work part time in the summer) and that is an offroad "teardrop" camper like these:

It won't be huge, just big enough for a twin or a full mattress, storage, ect in the main compartment and a cooking area in the back. The frame will be based on an 80's jeep frame (cannot remember the exact year. I bought the whole rig for $850 about six years ago, body and tranny were a lost cause but the motor and frame were gtg) so I'm thinking a 5'x10' or 12'. Either way I'll be well within my Jeep's 2000# towing capacity when fully stocked (however, I've towed over 15,000# in 4 low ). I figure I could finish this thing for around $1000 and would be a metric fuckton sturdier than anything you could buy (no glue and particle board on this build )

So has anyone built one before? Also, anyone have any plans they'd be willing to share? Also, would anyone be interested in a detailed build thread?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:04:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I always thought these were pretty cool.  How "off road" can a trailer get with a standard ball hitch?  I've seen some pretty great home made set ups with a tent that goes over a pickup bed but if the weather gets really crappy it can be an adventure.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:06:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Glue is your friend unless you want tho constantly screw it back together. Looks like a fun project.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:09:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Glue is your friend unless you want tho constantly screw it back together. Looks like a fun project.
View Quote

Get both.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:09:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I always thought these were pretty cool.  How "off road" can a trailer get with a standard ball hitch? .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I always thought these were pretty cool.  How "off road" can a trailer get with a standard ball hitch? .

you gotta use a hitch similar to one of these. Most guys make them detachable where you slide in a standard ball hitch into the tongue for the road then when the trails come, you remove and use this

I've seen some pretty great home made set ups with a tent that goes over a pickup bed but if the weather gets really crappy it can be an adventure

Exactly why I'm building a camper spending a night in a thunderstorm in a tent is an "adventure" alright and a popup is hardly any better. Plus, earlier this year I woke up to a huge fire at 2AM and had to bug out with a popup. FUCK. THAT.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:12:11 PM EDT
[#5]
IN
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:13:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an easier solution that is more mobile.

4WD Tacoma with camper shell.
Add storage benches in the bed and throw on a futon....done.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:15:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Watching the second Jurassic park movie again have we?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:17:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Watching the second Jurassic park movie again have we?
View Quote

I have had the idea ever since I saw it the first time

Oh, and I NEED a passenger seat that slides out to the side
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:19:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Moby XC.

Fun trailer, I've pretty much toured most of the Western States with it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:19:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mehhhhhhhhh this is moar awesome
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:22:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a Moby XC.

Fun trailer, I've pretty much toured most of the Western States with it.
View Quote

Just googled and those are sweet! Gives me a lot of ideas.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:23:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote
Or a 4runner with the seats folded.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:23:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I recall someone built a tear drop style and had a build thread here in GD. Damned if I can find it though.

The search function here is about the least intuitive I've ever used.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:27:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I recall someone built a tear drop style and had a build thread here in GD. Damned if I can find it though.
View Quote

I've never even gotten a hit when I search....so yeah. Maybe someone will come along and have a link
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:30:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm sure you're all over it. But just in case you're not.....

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/forums/42-Expedition-Trailers

I've got an M416, sitting in the yard, waiting it's turn.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:33:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

The holy grail Thanks
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:35:07 PM EDT
[#17]
tnttt.com will be your biggest resource.
I have a 5x9.5 Weekender-profile and it's a great size for two people, do not go smaller than 5' wide if you want to go camping with a significant other, and include a door on each wall.

Find a Tearjerkers gathering near you to meet friends and get ideas in person for your build.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:39:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have a 5x9.5 Weekender-profile and it's a great size for two people, do not go smaller than 5' wide if you want to go camping with a significant other, and include a door on each wall.

Find a Tearjerkers gathering near you to meet friends and get ideas in person for your build.

Kharn
View Quote

Awesome. Thanks! Come to think of it, I've seen the Tear Jerkers before. My old man is big into classic cars and I remember seeing their logo on teardrops at the bigger shows.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:41:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote
This one? http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1625343_Off_road_Trailer_Build_thread__Shakedown_Cruise_pg_5_.html

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:49:08 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This one? http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1625343_Off_road_Trailer_Build_thread__Shakedown_Cruise_pg_5_.html  
No. I thought it was by someone named Nelson or some derivative.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:07:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Kharn
View Quote
Having done some exploring on the tnttt site, some of those cute little trailers have hundreds of hours and big bucks in them. I think one guy spent more on fixtures than he did on the rig!

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:14:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I did..

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/648758_B_O_T___bug_out_trailer__Build_Thread_____PICS__.html

And here is what happened to it.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/650870_Death_of_the_BOT__bug_out_trailer____PICS___graphic_pics_on_pg_2_.html

I guess alot of the pics are gone, esp from the 2nd link. but youll get the idea from the comments.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:15:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Having done some exploring on the tnttt site, some of those cute little trailers have hundreds of hours and big bucks in them. I think one guy spent more on fixtures than he did on the rig!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

Wow. I'm more about something that I can crawl into with AC/heat and a TV
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:22:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Once you build it, buy the book Walden on Wheels, travel the country and live in it for a year
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:24:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I always thought these were pretty cool.  How "off road" can a trailer get with a standard ball hitch?  I've seen some pretty great home made set ups with a tent that goes over a pickup bed but if the weather gets really crappy it can be an adventure.
View Quote

I used this..

https://locknroll.com/

Positive lock-up, no banging like you would get from a Pintle mount and full articulation for off roading.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:24:27 PM EDT
[#26]

That thing is AWESOME. How much can you run and for how long on that battery pack? I was thinking twice that with solar panels as a backup to the generator.

Also, how long from hitch to back?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:26:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Once you build it, buy the book Walden on Wheels, travel the country and live in it for a year
View Quote

Don't tempt me.....
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:26:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I've never even gotten a hit when I search....so yeah. Maybe someone will come along and have a link
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I posted my links and I know for a fact there are a few others, some in GD and some in the OUTDOORS communities. Try different search keys; Camper, Campers, Teardrop, off road, etc etc.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:28:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That thing is AWESOME. How much can you run and for how long on that battery pack? I was thinking twice that with solar panels as a backup to the generator.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Look at the 2nd link i posted. I only got to test it, never got to actually "use" it. Those batteries are "special", commercial telecom batteries, designed to last for a really long time with a slow gradual decline. All my lighting was LED in the camper and my water pump was low flo so not to draw more energy and waste water.

To answer your second question. Im not sure. The "box" part behind the spare tire carrier was 4' x 8', and spare tire is 12" wide,  so you might be able to gauge it, im guessing 12-14' over all.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:36:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mine was built to take a couple months off and explore the old ghost mining towns/trails of CO and other western states, it was to be self contained for week(s) on end and just hit all the old trails, limit pavement as much as possible, etc.  

OP - how much you spend will depend on how much work you do yourself (not buying pre-made things). The door alone was $200, but if you hit up a salvage yard, esp. one with RVs, you can get the windows (that is what I did). Go to Home depot/ lowes and get their "seconds" for paint, yea you dont get the colour you want but most times itll be close.

I would highly recommend you run hubs that are the same wheel pattern as your tow rig, this makes carrying spares easier as you dont have odd ball tires and everything matches. Id run all LED lights. Insulation the floor and roof. IF you get windows, make sure they are sliders to help move air. These lil campers will heat up fast inside.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:38:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I posted my links and I know for a fact there are a few others, some in GD and some in the OUTDOORS communities. Try different search keys; Camper, Campers, Teardrop, off road, etc etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, I built a teardrop camper
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:39:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

^
         ^
This right here. Glued and screwed is the way to go.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:40:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Look at the 2nd link i posted. I only got to test it, never got to actually "use" it. Those batteries are "special", commercial telecom batteries, designed to last for a really long time with a slow gradual decline. All my lighting was LED in the camper and my water pump was low flo so not to draw more energy and waste water.

To answer your second question. Im not sure. The "box" part behind the spare tire carrier was 4' x 8', and spare tire is 12" wide,  so you might be able to gauge it, im guessing 12-14' over all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't see the second thread at first... but dude that SUCKS but the LEDs and the low flo is a great idea. I'm thinking of using red LEDs for my primary night time light source.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:43:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

^
         ^
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^
         ^

Oh I know, it'll be tighter than a nun's ass. Overbuilt is the best kind of built I'll probably spend just as much in RTV and sealer as the materials itself
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:48:44 PM EDT
[#35]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, I built a teardrop camper

Now I know that thing wasn't cheap. Noice
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:51:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1

I have plans to build it up next winter with a tailgate, lid and RTT.

I'd love to have a SoCal or Moby but funding precludes such purchases for a while.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:59:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

+1

I'd love to have a SoCal or Moby but funding precludes such purchases for a while.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Yep. For a college kid, I'm not bad off but I cannot afford a lot. Stuff under $2,000 that I can spread out is usually within my reach though. That's why I generally build everything vs buy and am not tier 1
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:12:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Oh I know, it'll be tighter than a nun's ass. Overbuilt is the best kind of built I'll probably spend just as much in RTV and sealer as the materials itself
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^
         ^

RTV and sealer?
No, you want fiberglass tape and West 105 epoxy.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:14:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

RTV and sealer?

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^
         ^

RTV and sealer?

Kharn

I'm drunk, give me a break
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:18:25 AM EDT
[#40]
I built am m416 that I toe around behind my jeep. .  the thread is over at expedition portal if interested.   I've always thought a teardrop would be a fun build.

Keep us posted Op.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:18:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yep. For a college kid, I'm not bad off but I cannot afford a lot. Stuff under $2,000 that I can spread out is usually within my reach though. That's why I generally build everything vs buy and am not tier 1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I'm still working out the design of mine. I have been gathering pieces slowly. It will be a super budget build if it works out. I have an idea for the lid that I've never seen anyone else try.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:21:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I'm still working out the design of mine. I have been gathering pieces slowly. It will be a super budget build if it works out. I have an idea for the lid that I've never seen anyone else try.
View Quote

Nothing wrong with a little ingenuity
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:23:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I built am m416 that I toe around behind my jeep. .  the thread is over at expedition portal if interested.   I've always thought a teardrop would be a fun build.

Keep us posted Op.
View Quote

Awesome I'll definitely keep yall posted and I'll check it out. I'm heading home Thursday so I'll probably start stripping the frame after I get my F1s sent off
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:23:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Keep us posted Op.
View Quote

I'm interested. Link me.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:27:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

QFT,  I would love to build something like that one day.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:29:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

you gotta use a hitch similar to one of these. Most guys make them detachable where you slide in a standard ball hitch into the tongue for the road then when the trails come, you remove and use this
http://www.campertrailers.org/ozhitch_coupling3.JPG

Exactly why I'm building a camper spending a night in a thunderstorm in a tent is an "adventure" alright and a popup is hardly any better. Plus, earlier this year I woke up to a huge fire at 2AM and had to bug out with a popup. FUCK. THAT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen some pretty great home made set ups with a tent that goes over a pickup bed but if the weather gets really crappy it can be an adventure

Why not just a camper top on the truck?  When weather is bad I have 2 cots that foldout perfectly in my F150's camper top

Just playing devils advocate.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:35:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Why not just a camper top on the truck?  When weather is bad I have 2 cots that foldout perfectly in my F150's camper top

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My JK is my only vehicle. My old man may give me his '96 F350 if he doesn't sell it but it's hardly offroadable
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:36:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

My JK is my only vehicle. My old man may give me his '96 F350 if he doesn't sell it but it's hardly offroadable
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

plus 5mpg diesel is no fun.  I see now
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:38:21 AM EDT
[#49]
There are a few threads around here detailing some builds.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:40:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

You know it minus that I love that old dog and it'll tow a building
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top