BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 4:16:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got a jar of ash from the eruption.  Collected in Spokane a few days after the event.  Some 260 miles ENE of the mountain.  I use it as a paper weight on my desk.  It's fun to shake up and watch the ash settle.
View Quote

I had one too.
Until my son turned it into mud.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 4:18:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I just read the "18 volcanoes" article.

I've never been there (that I'm aware of) so does anyone know what direction that picture is taken from of Crater Lake?
View Quote

Here's Crater Lake Lodge. You can see the island (Wizard island) on the left so looking at the other pic it's directly across from it on the other side. You can click on the link and it will give you an idea of which side its facing.

http://www.willhiteweb.com/crater_lake_national_park/crater_lake_map.jpg

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 4:26:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I went there this weekend.

There are countless dry riverbeds, all filled with black, jagged rocks.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The wood swamp guys wet dream

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me at Spirit lake a couple years ago.

http://i.imgur.com/18uwOIr.jpg

Amazing.

One problem with the logs is the pumas embedded in them would wreck havoc on saw blades. Once you got past that than you'd have some nice logs.

Also in the sloughs along the Columbia River, the Loggers would float their logs to the mills. I'm sure the bottoms of those are full of logs from 100 years ago to now. That shit would be priceless.

Ed

eta; I used to cut a lot of wood

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:25:24 PM EDT
[#5]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never been there (that I'm aware of) so does anyone know what direction that picture is taken from of Crater Lake?

Here's Crater Lake Lodge. You can see the island (Wizard island) on the left so looking at the other pic it's directly across from it on the other side. You can click on the link and it will give you an idea of which side its facing.

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1192417/images/o-CRATER-LAKE-LODGE-facebook.jpg

http://static1.businessinsider.com/image/5410730c6bb3f7d770123b2a-1200/crater-lake-caldera-in-oregon-was-formed-when-a-volcano-named-mount-mazama-erupted-violently-7700-years-ago-the-interaction-between-magma-and-water-is-likely-to-produce-explosive-eruptions-in-the-future.jpg

That last pic is great.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:32:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wonder how many Bigfeets dies in that eruption.
View Quote

Bigfoot has too much common sense, he booked days before the major eruption........
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:34:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've got a jar of ash from the eruption.  Collected in Spokane a few days after the event.  Some 260 miles ENE of the mountain.  I use it as a paper weight on my desk.  It's fun to shake up and watch the ash settle.
View Quote

I have a jar as well
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:49:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is a nice little fizzle...

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:10:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Two entirely different magma types. Hawaiian volcanoes expel very low viscosity, low gas content basalt lavas while those underlying Yellowstone are high viscosity, high gas content types. The longer the caldera charge cycle takes, the more gas (pressure) buildup can occur. When the magma is finally vented to the surface it'll explosively decompress and produce Plinian-style eruptions. That is, vertical ash columns, pyroclastic flows and a shit-load of tephra whose overall ejected volume is dependent on the size of the magma chamber supplying the system.

In Yellowstone's case, nothing about a ring-fracturing eruption will be considered "low energy".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just because the Yellowstone caldera is big doesn't mean that the eruption will be the end of the world. You never know with volcanic shit. It MIGHT kill us all, or it might just act like Hawaii...constant low energy gushing eruption for decades.

Two entirely different magma types. Hawaiian volcanoes expel very low viscosity, low gas content basalt lavas while those underlying Yellowstone are high viscosity, high gas content types. The longer the caldera charge cycle takes, the more gas (pressure) buildup can occur. When the magma is finally vented to the surface it'll explosively decompress and produce Plinian-style eruptions. That is, vertical ash columns, pyroclastic flows and a shit-load of tephra whose overall ejected volume is dependent on the size of the magma chamber supplying the system.

In Yellowstone's case, nothing about a ring-fracturing eruption will be considered "low energy".

is it named after the roman who witnessed and described the pompei destruction ?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 1:47:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

is it named after the roman who witnessed and described the pompei destruction ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just because the Yellowstone caldera is big doesn't mean that the eruption will be the end of the world. You never know with volcanic shit. It MIGHT kill us all, or it might just act like Hawaii...constant low energy gushing eruption for decades.

Yes. Pliny the Younger. Google it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:04:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Now look up the Toba super-eruption...St. Helens ejected about one cubic mile of ash.

Toba ejected 200 cubic miles of it.

That's 3 times the size of the latest Yellowstone eruption.

That eruption almost wiped out the human race about 75,000 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:14:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:01:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I took this picture in 2006 or so.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:05:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:Two entirely different magma types. Hawaiian volcanoes expel very low viscosity, low gas content basalt lavas while those underlying Yellowstone are high viscosity, high gas content types. The longer the caldera charge cycle takes, the more gas (pressure) buildup can occur. When the magma is finally vented to the surface it'll explosively decompress and produce Plinian-style eruptions. That is, vertical ash columns, pyroclastic flows and a shit-load of tephra whose overall ejected volume is dependent on the size of the magma chamber supplying the system.

View Quote

It's about time you wily scientists finally found something you know with absolute certainty. Bravo!
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:12:06 AM EDT
[#15]
One of the crazy things that boogles my mind is when I read that "18 volcanoes"bis seeing the pictures of ones that erupted 1,300 and 2,000 years ago and the one 7,000 years ago!!! How there still is those white lines and that clear cut circle of ZERO life even THOUSANDS of years later!!!!! It makes you think about how fragile(NOT INSIGNIFICANT) life is
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:47:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

One problem with the logs is the pumas embedded in them would wreck havoc on saw blades. Once you got past that than you'd have some nice logs.

Also in the sloughs along the Columbia River, the Loggers would float their logs to the mills. I'm sure the bottoms of those are full of logs from 100 years ago to now. That shit would be priceless.

Ed

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me at Spirit lake a couple years ago.

http://i.imgur.com/18uwOIr.jpg

Amazing.

Ed

I had several friends that sawed salvage timber in the St. Helens blast zone. They were going through 2 to 3 chains a day, each. They had to wear masks too.

A lot of the timber they were cutting was old growth that had been knocked down by the blast. I was told they had to clear a 'girdle' on the logs of any bark with a hatchet first - then sweep it clean with a broom, before they fired up their saws, in an effort to remove as much of the silica as they could. They still went through that many chains.

They made a ton of dough, but it sounded like a bunch of extra work.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:51:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That's alot of missing rock.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Melted dashboard about 8 miles north of Mt. St. Helens shows the intense heat that far away from the core eruption.

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/e8/e7/e8e7dcd5a30e79a82d99cc46c2649e30.jpg?itok=uXQr1-Fd
View Quote

'71 Chevrolet pickup.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:58:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
That last pic is great.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1192417/images/o-CRATER-LAKE-LODGE-facebook.jpg

http://static1.businessinsider.com/image/5410730c6bb3f7d770123b2a-1200/crater-lake-caldera-in-oregon-was-formed-when-a-volcano-named-mount-mazama-erupted-violently-7700-years-ago-the-interaction-between-magma-and-water-is-likely-to-produce-explosive-eruptions-in-the-future.jpg

That last pic is great.

It's deep too. I think the deepest part is around 1900ft or so.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:01:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Was equal to about a 24 megaton bomb going off.

This crazy rock slab in the crater was growing @4-5ft everyday as was estimated at about 400+ft tall.

https://symonsez.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/sthelensrockslab.jpg

http://media2.s-nbcnews.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/060504/060504_sthelens_hmed_5p.grid-6x2.jpg

4-5' a day damn. Scientist will estimate it took 100million years to form
Harry Truman is still entombed at his lodge 150ft below debri.

http://content.lib.washington.edu/cgi-bin/getimage.exe?CISOROOT=/wastate&CISOPTR=1423&DMSCALE=100.00000&DMWIDTH=800&DMHEIGHT=517.70833333333&DMX=0&DMY=0&DMTEXT=&REC=1&DMTHUMB=0&DMROTATE=0

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/34/Sthelensharrytruman.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:03:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The rock is still there it's just spread all over Washington State. Mostly in powder form.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:04:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote
I have one too...  Need to find it.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:06:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
My brother was in Spokane.  After a foot of Ashe fell, he packed his kit and said "You can all go to hell, I am going to Texas."
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My brother was in Spokane.  After a foot of Ashe fell, he packed his kit and said "You can all go to hell, I am going to Texas."

meh, same dif.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:09:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys are NOT making me feel any better about the Yellowstone caldera.
View Quote

1 in 700,000 chance
View Quote

This should put your mind at ease...

Here's a nice pic of how the ash settled from Mt St Helens versus a few other volcanos in the area.  For comparison.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:58:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Some pics from the recent eruption in Chile.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:03:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Wow that eruption induced lightning is pretty wild looking!
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Mt. St. Helens Volcano Cam
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:08:40 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote
Forrest fires do that too.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:22:46 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote

You can listen to some of it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXxjEnTM7Cw

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I flew over it a couple of days after the eruption,pretty impressive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I took a PSA flight from SFO to Sea-Tac about a month after the eruption. The pilot took a couple of steep orbits over the caldera, one for each side of the plane.   It was like looking at the surface of the moon. Unbelievable.

I flew over it a couple of days after the eruption,pretty impressive.

Flew over in what with the ash in the air?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:37:23 PM EDT
[#32]
If you get a chance to climb it, do it. One of the best hikes I've ever done.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:38:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I played out in the falling ash that day.
View Quote

Happy Fibrosis of the lungs day.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:40:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If Yellowstone went off the whole world would be fucked, not just a corner of WA.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Naw.  Yellowstone will make Mt. St. Helens look like a little misfire.  Not even near the same orders of magnitude.

If Yellowstone went off the whole world would be fucked, not just a corner of WA.  

Will that affect 22lr availability?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote

1943 feet and the deepest lake in the US, and 7th deepest in the world.

THAT would have been an eruption to see. Not to mention the caldera collapse. I don't think there have been any notable caldera formations in modern times, but it must surely be an impressive event - especially when on the scale of what happened at Mt Mazama or Yellowstone. I think the closest we are likely to get to witnessing a collapse is going to be the much calmer events that happen in Hawaii, like this video I found hosted at WSJ from the crater floor collapse at Kilauea.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:08:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The rock is still there it's just spread all over Washington State. Mostly in powder form.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A surprising amount of it ended up downhill; there was a massive landslide that appeared to trigger the eruption.

go to 1:10 for landslide
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

0:55!
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:35:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Healing:
View Quote

Supposedly the area was to be devistated, especially spirit lake, for the next 100yrs. Funny how fast nature recovers.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:40:43 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

THAT would have been an eruption to see. Not to mention the caldera collapse. I don't think there have been any notable caldera formations in modern times, but it must surely be an impressive event - especially when on the scale of what happened at Mt Mazama or Yellowstone. I think the closest we are likely to get to witnessing a collapse is going to be the much calmer events that happen in Hawaii, like this video I found hosted at WSJ from the crater floor collapse at Kilauea.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea I can't imagine how spectacular it would be with 1900 ft of water suddenly collapsing onto the magma chamber. Would be a more explosive event then Mount St Helens for sure.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:57:11 PM EDT
[#40]

Mt. St. Helens by depercy, on Flickr

Life Returns by depercy, on Flickr

Miner's Car by depercy, on Flickr

Spirit Lake by depercy, on Flickr

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:37:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Smiling Skull at 1:32 or so is spooky!
Flames, plumes, seem to make faces appear.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top