Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 235
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 11:16:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Miami: The ‘Canes have now officially announced the hiring of Mark Richt as the new head coach. His official presser has been set for 10am ET today.

Houston: Tom Herman has signed his new contract this
morning, according to Travis Haney. The new contract includes a bump in
salary to $2.8 million (almost twice what he made this past season), and
includes another $200,000 to go toward his assistant salary pool, per
SI.

Link Posted: 12/4/2015 11:47:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 12:19:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Miami: The ‘Canes have now officially announced the hiring of Mark Richt as the new head coach. His official presser has been set for 10am ET today.

Houston: Tom Herman has signed his new contract this morning, according to Travis Haney. The new contract includes a bump in salary to $2.8 million (almost twice what he made this past season), and includes another $200,000 to go toward his assistant salary pool, per SI.
View Quote

Herman is staying at Houston in hopes of replacing Strong in Austin in a year or two.

Monk
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 1:46:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Houston: Tom Herman has signed his new contract this morning, according to Travis Haney. The new contract includes a bump in salary to $2.8 million (almost twice what he made this past season), and includes another $200,000 to go toward his assistant salary pool, per SI.
View Quote

Think Herman is just going to stay there winning and padding his resume until either Texas or A&M jobs open up 1 day?

Link Posted: 12/4/2015 4:48:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Think Herman is just going to stay there winning and padding his resume until either Texas or A&M jobs open up 1 day?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. I heard South Carolina was offering about $4 million, but he turned it down.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 7:13:40 PM EDT
[#6]
In other news, ECU fired their coach today.

Lots of WTF with that one.

Link Posted: 12/4/2015 7:19:36 PM EDT
[#7]
And Bronco Mendenhall to UVA at $3.25 million per year.

Link Posted: 12/4/2015 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Cool!  For some reason, I just love it when a HC ends up at the school where he played.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool!  For some reason, I just love it when a HC ends up at the school where he played.

Link Posted: 12/4/2015 7:28:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 8:13:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
SNIP

If Strong is fired, he will be replaced with someone with a NC or SB as head coach on their resume.

The same people who claimed that Strong could be an assistant would say the same thing about Herman.

Strong and Herman have basically identical resumes. One for offense and one for defense.

View Quote

After Saban, who would be Texas' short list?

Monk
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 8:14:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I want one of two things to happen this Saturday.

1) Bama gets beaten by FL, and the SEC gets left out of the playoffs.  Chaos will lead to playoff expansion.  Yay.  Bama loses. Yay.

2) Bama destroys FL worse than LSU during the Bama/LSU championship game.  Florida loses.  Yay.
View Quote

I share the desire for postseason chaos. But it is utterly inconceivable that UF should be UA. If it did come to pass, and the SEC was shut out of the playoff, the butthurt would be truly epic. The playoff would get expanded to 8 teams for next year, no matter contracts.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 8:14:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
And Bronco Mendenhall to UVA at $3.25 million per year.

View Quote

Leaving BYU for UVA?
That is worth more than one
out of

Monk
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Monk
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SNIP

If Strong is fired, he will be replaced with someone with a NC or SB as head coach on their resume.

The same people who claimed that Strong could be an assistant would say the same thing about Herman.

Strong and Herman have basically identical resumes. One for offense and one for defense.

Monk

NC HCs would include

Fisher
Miles
Myers
Chizik
Stoops
Carroll
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 8:19:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Monk
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SNIP

Monk

It's a short list for sure.
There just aren't a lot of sb & nc guys running around.
But they're Texas and they can have whatever or whoever they want.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 8:21:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Fisher is not going anywhere any time soon. 1)he's got a lot left to do at FSU..., i.e. One more NC. 2) no one can afford his buyout right now....maybe in a few more years. LSU would have had to plunk down $30'million between miles and Fisher
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 9:02:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Let's go Falcons!
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 9:08:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I don't get it.  I was being sincere.

I know it doesn't always work out for the best, but I think it is neat when a head coach has ties to the school beyond just a lot of $$$ and a contract.  JMHO, and I know I tend to be sentimental so YMMV.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know it doesn't always work out for the best, but I think it is neat when a head coach has ties to the school beyond just a lot of $$$ and a contract.  JMHO, and I know I tend to be sentimental so YMMV.

AIV likes it as well since Harbaugh has returned to Michigan.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 9:10:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 9:37:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
SNIP

I wouldn't look for Strong to get fired just yet. Most people who pay attention know the deal.
View Quote

Thanks for the details on the Texas program.

The quality of information on programs in this thread is better than most of the talking heads on TV
I attribute that to folks on here more closely following their programs than the TV guys.
TV often seems to be an echo chamber filled with parrots.

Monk
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 9:40:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Already answered...but they treated JH like a long lost son coming home. He was agreeing with you.

Link Posted: 12/4/2015 11:12:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 11:15:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yes. I heard South Carolina was offering about $4 million, but he turned it down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotta be a kick in the nuts for SC to offer double the money at an SEC school and get turned down in favor of HOUSTON.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 11:21:09 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote
2nd biggest?!  FSU can't brag about 2nd biggest.  If you're gonna put a new screen in go biggest.

Link Posted: 12/4/2015 11:24:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
2nd biggest?!  FSU can't brag about 2nd biggest.  If you're gonna put a new screen in go biggest.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well, we have the 2nd biggest screen, and a kickass team that will make an NC run next year.  Auburn has a big screen. So there's that.

Edit: they're also putting in the "Champions Club"....a Dallas Jerrys world type bar/restaurant/high end stadium club.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 11:25:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

2015/2021 Home & Home Series

Miami plays @ Arkansas State in 2017 @ at Toledo in 2018
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speaking of App State, Miami plays in Boone on September 17, 2016.

Damn, how the hell did App State negotiate that.

Now you see how Richt swung that high winning percentage when he lost 75% of the games you saw on TV. At least 6 games a year were auto wins (that included Vandy and Kentucky most years).

I like the guy and hope he does well at Miami. Perfect for their program.

I just hope for Miami's sake he can be a different coach than the last 10yrs has shown. He had 145 wins but a .300 winning percentage against ranked teams and under .500 percentage to every team that ended the season with a winning record of any sort.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 11:28:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Y
Quoted:

Now you see how Richt swung that high winning percentage when he lost 75% of the games you saw on TV. At least 6 games a year were auto wins (that included Vandy and Kentucky most years).

I just hope for Miami's sake he can be a different coach than the last 10yrs has shown. He had 145 wins but a .300 winning percentage against ranked teams and under .500 percentage to every team that ended the season with a winning record of any sort.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speaking of App State, Miami plays in Boone on September 17, 2016.

Damn, how the hell did App State negotiate that.

I was upset at first when we lost him.....now, not so much. Same with Pruitt.

Link Posted: 12/4/2015 11:28:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I bet if he had recruited Deshaun Watson then we wouldn't have had QB problems the last two years and Richt would be comfortable at HC.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
SNIP

For the record, I think UGA made a huge mistake. I feel like they broke up with a really hot GF just because she put beans in her chili, and it took her about 2 days to find a new bf. You're not going to win the SEC every year with that level of competition.

Not really, it's more like the formerly hot GF got fat, lazy and preferred to spend time @ Sunday School rather than taking care of stuff at home.

CMR was fired for a multitude of sins.

Failure to win the SEC East in down years for UF, Tennessee and South Carolina
Failure to recruit and develop QB's
Lack of OL/DL depth because recruiting choices
Bad coaching hires (CBS and CTG)
Removing himself for playing calling and not stepping back into it this year given the QB/OC problems.
Poor special teams play for a few years.
Strange losses to weaker teams
Bad losses to good teams
Blow outs losses to Top 10 teams.
Strange coaching calls on special teams and bad game management that cost or nearly cost games.
Starting Bauta in the Florida games and NOT changing the play calling
Barely beating Georgia Southern and then celebrating like they won the SEC
He looked tired and acted frustrated these past couple of seasons.

And yet if he had one the SEC East just once in past 3 season, Georgia probably would have kept him on as HC.

Richt should be successful at Miami but things would not have improved for him in Athens.
He was tired and worn out.
It was a good fire.

Monk

I bet if he had recruited Deshaun Watson then we wouldn't have had QB problems the last two years and Richt would be comfortable at HC.

Hey at least Richt tried to get Can Newton and recruited him.........as a TE.

I give you Mark Richt
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 12:17:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Last time, the name most batted around after Saban was Jon Gruden.

If, and it is a HUGE if, Strong were fired, the replacement would be a "name" brand.

Personally I don't know a single Longhorn fan who wants to see Strong fired. Everyone can look at the roster and see the deal. If there are complaints it would be not dumping Watson over the off season and not starting Foreman over Grey. That is about it. How do you bench your team leader though? Everyone knew Texas was looking at an 8 win at the very best season. I'm not sure anyone expected 4 wins, but every single person who is paying attention knows the team is better than Mack Brown's last two teams no matter the record.

Granted, they have to win at least 8 games next year or Strong will likely be gone and he will need to put a Top 10 team on the field the year after that. Everyone who was paying attention knew the deal. Too many Brown recruit washouts and too many players had to be dismissed once Strong took over for Texas to be a contender.

Texas fans have to be excited because no team in the country is going to be more experienced than Texas 2 years from now. They are going to have 15 or more guys who have played in 36 to 38 games heading into their Sr year.

I looked it up. It is 17 right now.

http://texas.247sports.com/Article/Texas-Longhorns-freshman-class-is-legit-the-numbers-prove-it-41210546

I wouldn't look for Strong to get fired just yet. Most people who pay attention know the deal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
SNIP

Monk

Last time, the name most batted around after Saban was Jon Gruden.

If, and it is a HUGE if, Strong were fired, the replacement would be a "name" brand.

Personally I don't know a single Longhorn fan who wants to see Strong fired. Everyone can look at the roster and see the deal. If there are complaints it would be not dumping Watson over the off season and not starting Foreman over Grey. That is about it. How do you bench your team leader though? Everyone knew Texas was looking at an 8 win at the very best season. I'm not sure anyone expected 4 wins, but every single person who is paying attention knows the team is better than Mack Brown's last two teams no matter the record.

Granted, they have to win at least 8 games next year or Strong will likely be gone and he will need to put a Top 10 team on the field the year after that. Everyone who was paying attention knew the deal. Too many Brown recruit washouts and too many players had to be dismissed once Strong took over for Texas to be a contender.

Texas fans have to be excited because no team in the country is going to be more experienced than Texas 2 years from now. They are going to have 15 or more guys who have played in 36 to 38 games heading into their Sr year.

I looked it up. It is 17 right now.

Texas is playing what some analysts have tabbed the third-toughest schedule in the country with six true freshman starters.

So, after looking at those numbers, it’s easy to see why Texas is 4-6 and is yet to win on the road. But it's also the reason why the future of Texas football is bright; the team’s 2015 recruiting class is as good as they come.

It's not like these true freshmen are just average players. Connor Williams, Malik Jefferson and Patrick Vahe will all likely make various freshmen All-American teams.

http://texas.247sports.com/Article/Texas-Longhorns-freshman-class-is-legit-the-numbers-prove-it-41210546

TCU has 31 frosh, sophs and RS frosh on their 2 deep right now.
And they are pretty dam good right now.
What does that say about how good they are going to be the next 3 years?
It's my understanding they are the youngest team currently behind Rice

http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/tcu/91947

Link Posted: 12/5/2015 12:52:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 1:29:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Looks like the browns might be making a play for urban.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 1:30:10 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote

lol

Link Posted: 12/5/2015 1:52:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 2:07:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Inb4hnnng?
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 2:18:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Saban stays at Alabama.

Jeremy Pruitt  to replace Kirby Smart?

http://247sports.com/Coach/Jeremy-Pruitt-267/AllTimeRecruits
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 8:36:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Both of my flight today got upgraded to 1st class. I take this as a sign. Gator 35 bama 0.

Sorry bama fans, maybe next year.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 10:16:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I don't know but my link show TCU has 2 Freshmen starters and your link show one true Freshman and one RS Freshman.

ETA 2 RS Fr for TCU. Definitely a young team but lots of injuries are causing those players to the in the rotation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
TCU has 31 frosh, sophs and RS frosh on their 2 deep right now.
And they are pretty dam good right now.
What does that say about how good they are going to be the next 3 years?
It's my understanding they are the youngest team currently behind Rice[/span]

http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/tcu/91947

I don't know but my link show TCU has 2 Freshmen starters and your link show one true Freshman and one RS Freshman.

Texas - 6
Kansas - 3
TCU - 2
Kansas State - 1
Oklahoma - 1
Baylor - 1
West Virginia - 1
Oklahoma State - 0
Texas Tech - 0
Iowa State - 0

That's right; Texas is starting twice as many true freshmen as winless Kansas. Combined, the rest of the conference averages just one freshman starter each, while the Longhorns employ six.

[span style='color: red;']It should also be noted that none of the Texas starters are in their current starting positions because of injury. But that’s not the case for the other Big 12 schools.[/span]

For example, Baylor's only true freshman starter is quarterback Jarrett Stidham, who is only playing because of an injury to Seth Russell.

Lack of Depth

Texas’ lack of depth is another important factor to consider when examining the team’s struggles. The Longhorns have more true freshmen starters than juniors (4) or sophomores (4), redshirt or otherwise, who are starting.

Texas is the only Power Five-conference team that starts more true freshmen than sophomores or juniors. When folks say the depth of the sophomore and junior class at Texas is thin, there’s a real backing to that argument.

ETA 2 RS Fr for TCU. Definitely a young team but lots of injuries are causing those players to the in the rotation.

I'm counting Freshman, redshirt freshman and sophomores on the 2 deep in response to your statement about how young Texas is and how great they will be in 2 years due to that.
2 deep players ALL get significant playing time and should be will be around for the next 2 years for the most part.

I'm not saying Texas isnt young, They are but to only focus on how many true freshman starters you have and use that as the barometer on how good your going to be in 2 years isn't necessarily the most accurate method.
People need to consider the 2 deep as those players all get significant snaps. Sometimes some of the #2s will end up with more snaps in a certain game than the "starter"
That coupled with counting redshirt freshman who big time programs have quite a few of. And don't forget the majority of sophomores will be around in 2 years also.

If were just talking freshman I heard on ESPN that 30 different freshman have played for TCU this year.
Yep that might be due to injuries like you mentioned but does it really matter in 2 years under what circumstances they got their playing time?

And the reason I'm focusing on TCU is the fact they are GOOD. RIGHT NOW. AND YOUNG.
Texas is young but isnt very good.

Oh and if matters I think A&M has 28 frosh, RS frosh and sophomores on the 2 deep.
IIRC Texas has 24 or 27.

I think Texas is focusing on being young as they search for hope and using it as an excuse, although a somewhat valid one for not being very good. What they are not thinking about is there are other teams out there with a lot of young players also.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 10:18:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

No kidding
LOL

Link Posted: 12/5/2015 10:19:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 10:20:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Both of my flight today got upgraded to 1st class. I take this as a sign. Gator 35 bama 0.

View Quote

I'm just hoping they cover the 17 point spread in my pickem contest.
I need them to score around 10 points.
I think hope they can hold Bama to around 24.

Link Posted: 12/5/2015 10:24:15 AM EDT
[#41]

I cannot believe those last 3 games are all on at the same time tonight.
It wouldn't have been that difficult with a reduced schedule today to spread them out and increase viewership significantly for all those games.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 10:38:26 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View Quote
A bit early to be smoking the good stuff, eh?

Link Posted: 12/5/2015 10:42:28 AM EDT
[#43]
I normally like to see Bama win but today I am rooting for the Gators. Also want to see wins from Trojans and the Tar Heels.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 11:05:07 AM EDT
[#44]
iowa is beating sparty. you heard it here first!
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 11:09:33 AM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

It's what all the cool kids are doing now apparently.

Link Posted: 12/5/2015 11:15:04 AM EDT
[#46]
It's funny that all the people that argued that you had to be a conference champ last year and that no conference should have two teams in the playoffs are saying quite the opposite this year.

Link Posted: 12/5/2015 11:18:23 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

It's funny that all the people that argued that you had to be a conference champ last year and that no conference should have two teams in the playoffs are saying quite the opposite this year.

View Quote
I must be in the minority then. A non conference champion like Ohio State does NOT deserve to be in the playoff. If UNC beats #1 Clemson, they definitely deserve a spot in the playoff.

Link Posted: 12/5/2015 11:21:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's what happens when the decisions are based on human emotions and opinions.
Set some clear, consise parameters like every other sport requires and it gets pretty dam easy.
College Football just can't figure that out for some reason.
They want to continue to reinvent the wheel. Sometimes that simple, old round thing is always going to be the best design going forward.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 11:24:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I must be in the minority then. A non conference champion like Ohio State does NOT deserve to be in the playoff. If UNC beats #1 Clemson, they definitely deserve a spot in the playoff.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But the talking heads on ESPN disagree with you on NC and are wanting Stanford instead.
It's TOTALLY opinion based and that's what's broke.
Is it better than what we had? Sure it is. But at the same time it's a loooong way from perfect.
And the worst part is it would be so easy to fix.
The format is out there in EVERY other major sport.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 11:32:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Heading up to Charlotte in a bit.

Herbstreit has gone full retard since tOSU lost two weeks ago.  He's become a shill for the CFP in order to get tOSU into the playoffs, and Gameday has become a UNC hate-fest.  Also, fuck Jeff Long in the ass with a cactus.

Page / 235
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top