Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:16:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got stung by a hornet mowing the yard.

Felt like a bullet hit me
View Quote

I'll bet it didn't.

Another fun fact about me I've never shared with anyone online: I've been shot (not by my own hand). It fucking sucked.

I'm not even the slightest bit afraid of guns. But bees? Fuck bees.

Listen, I don't get it either.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Page 2.
ETA: Dammit!
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:17:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:18:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:18:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:19:05 PM EDT
[#6]
When a bee comes around just tell him that you are his friend and believe it.  I know is funny but if your cool then they're cool

Be cool man,  be cool

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
When a bee comes around just tell him that you are his friend and believe it.  I know is funny but if your cool then they're cool

Be cool man,  be cool

View Quote

You first.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:27:17 PM EDT
[#8]
It might be because you drive a Miata.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:30:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Always liked bees

When I was a kid, a huge swarm of them, probably a thousand with their queen were on a shrub in front of our house. My dad says, watch this:
Poured half of a jar of molasses over the swarm. They went nuts & loved it. Then he shoved his arm to the elbow into the swarm. Pulled his arm back out, covered in bees. Never got stung once.
My turn. Put my arm into the swarm to the elbow & pulled it back out covered in bees. Again, never got stung once. Maybe we were lucky; maybe their aggressiveness is overrated.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Honey bees and carpenter bees don't bother me too much. Even bumble bees aren't too bad.

Wasp, Hornets, and yellow jackets freak me out. I'm very phobic about them. I spend a good bit of money on wasp and hornet spray every summer. Kill those bastards every chance I get.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:33:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Think of this at least with honey bees they don't want to sting you. If they do they die. Honey bees make honey and are generally pretty tolerant of us.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:34:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Do this:

After that a few bees won't seem so bad. That or you'll bee dead. Either way...
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Always liked bees

When I was a kid, a huge swarm of them, probably a thousand with their queen were on a shrub in front of our house. My dad says, watch this:
Poured half of a jar of molasses over the swarm. They went nuts & loved it. Then he shoved his arm to the elbow into the swarm. Pulled his arm back out, covered in bees. Never got stung once.
My turn. Put my arm into the swarm to the elbow & pulled it back out covered in bees. Again, never got stung once. Maybe we were lucky; maybe their aggressiveness is overrated.
View Quote

They normally won't sting while swarming.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Honey bees don't bother me been stung but meh they are mellow critters. Carpenter bees are kinda scary since they are like jumbo black bumble bees so I watch em closely and move out of their flight path. Never been stung by one but I remember some nested in the wooden swing set as a kid might of just been childhood imagination but I remember them chasing me.

Now wasps fuck them they are ill tempered (though depending on the species I ignore them, yellow jackets and mud daubers aren't bad unless they nest by my stuff that's a death sentence) If a honey bee stings you ouch one and done. Wasps bite and sting repeatedly. Wasps got me a few times as a kid then I declared jihad on them. Super soakers worked well. Blast em on their nest they fall and can't fly till their wings dry. Stomp! Then spray the paper nest till it falls. Stomp! I also got good at hitting them out of the air with a woffle ball bat crunch instant kill. Tarantula hawks are the scariest I will move with a quickness for them. They get really big and they fucking hunt tarantulas. Plus the way they land and never seem to rest constantly twitching their wings. They are like the meth heads with a big rusty shank of the wasp world.

Never had any issues with spiders. Loved catching them as a kid even big black widows. Heck in elementary school they did the bring the desert animals in assembly. I volunteered to let them put the tarantula on my head. Moms got pics somewhere of mini me with a huge smile and a tarantula walking across my head somewhere.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:43:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:50:46 PM EDT
[#16]
They can smell the fear, and are attracted to it. Don't smell like fear.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:55:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Just don't unknowingly try to destroy their hive like I did and you should be fine.  I was knocking down trees on the fence line so we could get the new cab tractor around with the shredder and I picked the wrong tree.  I noticed a few bees then a ton of bees and before I knew it I was getting stung.  I had the outriggers down and the bucket so the backhoe was not going anywhere in the next twenty seconds so I bailed.  When I jumped I screwed up my knee and couldn't get up for what felt like forever but was probably less than ten seconds.  Finally I got my legs under me and ran about 800 yards before they stopped stinging me.  Luckily I was wearing a heavy long sleeved shirt, gloves, a hat, and my beard kept them from stinging everywhere but my forehead and ears.   I called the ranch hand to come get me and he took me to the house.  All I could find was children's Benadryl so I chugged what was left and my wife got the stingers out.  It took two months before I wasn't walking without a limp.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:14:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Can't help you.

But your fear of heights and ultralight experience reminds me of my own fucked-up phobia.

I built and flew ultralights in the '80s and 90s and have lots of hours in them, Quicksilver types mostly.

Any time I had to fly above pattern altitude my ass would pucker.

I could fly at coyote-chasing level all day and have a ball, but as soon as I had to climb out to clear a mountain from the valley floor I would white-knuckle.

I took my Sprint to a mile AGL once to deadstick in and it freaked me the hell out. Not the deadstick, but the altitude.

I don't have an over all fear of heights, just certain heights.  It makes no sense.

I had an interesting experience once with bees while flying low-level in Arizona, but that story has already been related here a while back in another thread.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:22:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I've worked on steep pitched roofs in construction (terrified, but somewhat functional).

View Quote

That should have cured you.........of the bee phobia.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:29:26 PM EDT
[#20]

This.
I fucking hate wasps, they are the worst. They will sting you just to be an asshole and fuck shit up.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:28:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I bet you this ol clydesdale horse fly I killled the other day would have put you in a tizzy.

Fucking thing sounded like a Blackhawk buzzing around.

https://fbcdn-photos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xta1/v/t1.0-0/11143507_10204908356446289_1905278863377333003_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=dce2aea50f196757273d6f1b02dbbad1&oe=560B7C34&__gda__=1439382393_6a2ff130e68d2ecfd2374d40120c0d4b
View Quote

I hate those fuckers far more than any wasp or bee.

At least the wasps/bees are defending their turf and can usually be treated as 'live and let live'.  Those horseflies are just out to bite your ass and suck your blood.  

Yellowjackets, though, can go to hell
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 6:18:31 PM EDT
[#22]
To overcome this fear, make it your personal mission to kill every one you encounter.
Every. Single. One.

Teach 'em who is boss.

Anything with a stinger dies. Everytime.

Or scream like a pre teen girl and run away
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm cool with good old honey bees and even bumblebees. You leave them alone, they leave you alone. (though I took a bumblebee to the leg on my bike at 60MPH. Not cool! ) I think that's what getting shot feels like

Now Wasps and Hornets/Yellowjackets? Fuck those little bastards with a flamethrower enema Ignore them at your own peril. They'll buzz in front of your face like taunting-like, daring you to swat at him so he can go all weapons free on your ass.

I'm not scared of them persay, just...respectful

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 6:43:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Most simple phobias can be fixed in one or two therapy sessions (really).  Call a good shrink.

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You first.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be cool man,  be cool

You first.

He is right.

If you are calm around bees 99% of the time they don't sting you.

Idk how to get you to stop being scared of them.

I was scared the first time I got into a hive and saw hundreds and hundreds on a frame. But, after getting stung about 30 times my first outing I realized they don't really hurt, plus i felt great the next day due to the medicinal value of bee venom.

Beekeeping is really fun and I plan on expanding my bee operation to about 50 hives,

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 6:50:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Phobias are by definition irrational fears. It's hard to make a rational argument for why your irrational fear is irrational.

I was allergic to bees as a kid - one honey bee sting and it looked like someone hit me with a 2x4.

I've only been stung a few times as an adult but never with any major reaction - standard bee sting kind of "wound", a little swelling, etc.

We have a honey bee hive at work. There are honey bees all over the place. They are utterly disinterested in what the people are doing. If you ignore them, they will ignore you. Honey bees are the easiest to deal with as they *really* don't want to sting you. It's a death sentence for them to use their stinger.

Wasps and hornets are more aggressive, but again - in general if you leave them alone they will extend that same courtesy to you.

Yellowjackets, OTOH, are the spawn of Satan himself and should be eradicated from the face of the earth.

Next time you're faced with a flying stinging insect, pretend you're cool with it. Watch the thing, and notice that it's probably cool with you, too.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 6:51:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

That man is insane. This shit gives me nightmares.

How does he know he's not going to get stung?

I guess this is my question: A bee or wasp is humming around your head. Can you dismiss them casually, without being stung? Say one lands on your neck. Can you shoo them off without invoking some kind of wrath?

How?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That man is insane. This shit gives me nightmares.

How does he know he's not going to get stung?

I guess this is my question: A bee or wasp is humming around your head. Can you dismiss them casually, without being stung? Say one lands on your neck. Can you shoo them off without invoking some kind of wrath?

How?

Bees won't generally sting you unless they are in the shit.  After all, the stinger is a one time use deal.  Bees just want to pollinate your flowers and go about their business.  They work hard and probably vote Republican.  Wasps are fucking assholes that should be killed with fire or chemical warfare. They will sting you on a dare, or because you look at them funny.  They are FSA scavengers that will steal your lunch money to buy meth.

I just ignore bees, who usually go away after they figure out I'm not a flower.  I don't generally shoo them away, cause I don't want to scare them, but as long as your not excessive about it, they won't generally get pissed.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#28]
"Hands up -- don't sting".

Do what the bee tells you and you won't get hurt.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 7:34:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Another fun fact about me I've never shared with anyone online: I've been shot (not by my own hand). It fucking sucked.

View Quote

This has to merit more discussion than just a casual mention in an obscure thread about bees and heights.  Story?  Pictures?  Video?
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 1:13:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This has to merit more discussion than just a casual mention in an obscure thread about bees and heights.  Story?  Pictures?  Video?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah! Come on, Sub! Don't leave us hanging
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

That one goes to the grave with me. I shouldn't have even mentioned it.

Point is, a bee sting pales in comparison and yet...I wig out around the damn things.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 1:20:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Point is, a bee sting pales in comparison and yet...I wig out around the damn things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guys, lay off this subject. He clearly doesn't want to talk about it and has learned his lesson well. I will never have to shoot him again so just let it go. Please.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 1:20:42 PM EDT
[#33]

came here to post this, cracks me up every time
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 1:21:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Guys, lay off this subject. He clearly doesn't want to talk about it and has learned his lesson well. I will never have to shoot him again so just let it go. Please.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 1:23:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

He is right.

I was scared the first time I got into a hive and saw hundreds and hundreds on a frame. But, after getting stung about 30 times my first outing I realized they don't really hurt, plus i felt great the next day due to the medicinal value of bee venom.

Beekeeping is really fun and I plan on expanding my bee operation to about 50 hives,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be cool man,  be cool

You first.

He is right.

I am the 1%. Bees don't scare me but I've been stung many times for no reason while those around me were un molested. Wasps, I'm not to fond of. Yellow jackets I will search out to ruin their world with starter spray/brake cleaner and a match.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 1:26:56 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote

Friendly fire at the gangbang doesn't count.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 1:30:23 PM EDT
[#37]
My father was a beekeeper when I was young, they don't really bother me. Are we actually talking about bees or Black and Yellow things that sting?

I can't recalled ever being stung by a honey bee and I've been in closer proximity to them, repeatedly, than many are comfortable with.

If we are actually talking about Bees, drink plenty of mead.

ETA, when you got shot, did you have it coming?
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 1:32:57 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 2:30:46 PM EDT
[#39]
I like to shoot wasps when I'm waiting on some dove to fly by. Fuck those assholes.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 2:37:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Honey bees and most others dont worry me much , but bald faced hornets are chillingly evil and need to all burn in the fires of insect hell

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 2:45:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Are you me?  Fuck heights and bees.

I hate bees so fucking much that I have classified the worst of them...

-Garbage bees.  These motherfuckers apparently hide in the trash until I need to open the lid and throw a bag in.  

-Car bees.  The one time I leave the sunroof open, a car bee spawns and hides in the back window until I'm doing about 80 down the interstate.

-Shed bees.  "Oh, you just want to get some yardwork done?  Well, fuck you."

-Front door bees.  "You're not allowed in your house, or out of it."

-House bees.  "This is my house now, and if you miss me with that flyswatter I'm going to shit all over your world."

-Mega bees.  They're like normal bees, but far bigger.  I assume with their increased size comes increased death from sting.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 2:48:36 PM EDT
[#42]
I have a couple of hives, and I admit it can be a bit unsettling to have a few thousand of 'em doing their best to kill you because you're jackin' with their house.

Just hope they are never weaponized.  Ain't much you can do about a swarm of bees coming for you, except run as far and as fast as you can.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 2:48:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Sounds about right for me. I hate ladders
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 2:49:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Are you me?  Fuck heights and bees.

I hate bees so fucking much that I have classified the worst of them...

-Garbage bees.  These motherfuckers apparently hide in the trash until I need to open the lid and throw a bag in.  

-Car bees.  The one time I leave the sunroof open, a car bee spawns and hides in the back window until I'm doing about 80 down the interstate.

-Shed bees.  "Oh, you just want to get some yardwork done?  Well, fuck you."

-Front door bees.  "You're not allowed in your house, or out of it."

-House bees.  "This is my house now, and if you miss me with that flyswatter I'm going to shit all over your world."

-Mega bees.  They're like normal bees, but far bigger.  I assume with their increased size comes increased death from sting.
View Quote

Mah brutha.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 2:52:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 2:52:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Wasn't there a news story last year about a rock climber that was stung to death by "Africanized Bees" while he dangled from a rope on a cliff face./ the bees then attacked and killed his dog that was waiting below. Was that real or did I have a nightmare?

ETA: Saturday I grabbed one of those big ass carpenter bees when I picked up a 2x4. That sucker got me between the fingers. Not to bad for as big as they are.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 2:55:02 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Wasn't there a news story last year about a rock climber that was stung to death by "Africanized Bees" while he dangled from a rope on a cliff face./ the bees then attacked and killed his dog that was waiting below. Was that real or did I have a nightmare?

ETA: Saturday I grabbed one of those big ass carpenter bees when I picked up a 2x4. That sucker got me between the fingers. Not to bad for as big as they are.
View Quote

Bees that have taken up a career, especially one that involves power tools, are the most dangerous of all bees.

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 3:01:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Bees that have taken up a career, especially one that involves power tools, are the most dangerous of all bees.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Carpenter bee.

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 3:18:01 PM EDT
[#49]
+1 get a hive of honeybees.....
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 3:23:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Only female bees sting, OP.  Find a beekeeper and handle some drones (male bees).  They won't sting you and are fun.  My wife keeps bees and she lets my nephew play with drones.  She also catches drone carpenter bees in her hands.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top