Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2015 7:08:30 PM EDT
I was prescribed Prozac and Trazadone 3 days ago for mostly anxiety, but also for a little bit of lingering depression. I know it is supposed to be a few weeks until the medication has noticeable affects, but right now im not noticing a change in anxiety but a drastic increase in depression. Insane fatigue, very extreme black and white thinking, and fleeting feelings up hopelessness. Anybody else have stories they would like to share? Id greatly appreciate it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 7:12:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Call your doctor.  Prozac can have some nasty side effects in some patients including suicidal ideation.  It's problematic because if you're already dealing with depression, it's hard to notice the downward slide.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 7:14:38 PM EDT
[#2]
It can be tough to find the right combination of meds that work best for you, and it does take time for them to work.  Keep in contact with your medical professional, especially if you don't think things are going in the right direction.  You working with a general doc or a psychological doc?

I dated a gal with Type 2 Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder and she was on a half dozen meds at any given time, but 2 to 3 times a year they would stop working and she'd need to go inpatient for a week or so while they got the right combo again.  Trazadone was one of those meds.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 7:15:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 7:15:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Call your doctor.  Prozac can have some nasty side effects in some patients including suicidal ideation.  It's problematic because if you're already dealing with depression, it's hard to notice the downward slide.
View Quote

If this keeps up for much longer I definitely will, but feel as if I should give the drug a bit more time and hope that I turn the corner soon.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 7:18:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did he prescribe you the trazadone as an off label sleep aid?

What dose of trazadone are you taking?
View Quote

That was the stated purpose of the trazadone because of my erratic sleeping as of late, but I see that it's true purpose is trearment of major depressive disorder.

ETA: I'm taking 50-mg a night, thinking of backing off to 25
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 7:19:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 7:21:30 PM EDT
[#7]
if its mostly anxiety switch to paxil.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 7:23:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:20:01 PM EDT
[#9]
call your doc's office and get an appointment ASAP.  Tell them the drugs are worsening your symptoms, not helping.  They should be able to fit you in for a 15 minute apptmt to get a new scrip.  There are tons of other options besides Prozac.  I use Abilify and Zoloft together, and it fixed me right up once they got the dosage dialed in.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:24:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a 50mg Trazodone recommended for sleep, took one pill and was super depressed and drowsy for 20 hours or so. Tossed the rest in trash.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:25:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Most definitely call your doctor.  Your brain is in a state of flux right now.  Most of the time it takes a couple of weeks for the effects to be so pronounced.  I doubt the Prozac is what's doing it. I was put on Trazodone and it did not agree with me either.  I have great results with Zoloft and Klonopine.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:02:33 PM EDT
[#12]
That's too bad to hear about trazadone.

I'm told it works wonders for people that can't sleep because they can't get their minds to spin down and shut up.

Interesting about the 25-50mg thing; I know someone who is on 100mg a night for that, and has to cycle every couple of months b/c it stops working. But when it does, he says he finally gets some peace instead of all night rotisserie sleep (you keep turning over and over).

OP - It's good that you can recognize these changes and that they aren't valid feelings for you. Hang in there, don't give up on brain meds. It may take a few and some uncomfortable months for you to get back to a normal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top