Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/19/2015 5:24:30 PM EDT
So, it's getting to be that time of year again. This has been posted before, it's nothing new. But Memorial Day weekend usually marks the first swimming-related drowning for a lot of states.

These are some helpful things to keep fresh in your mind as boating/swimming/water season approaches

Article

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks.

I'm old and think I have a pretty good general knowledge but I've never seen those before.

Very interesting.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:35:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Guy looks like he's masturbating in the first one.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:40:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I did actually drown in a pool when I was younger.  I didn't know how to swim at the time, I recall specifically thrashing my legs, but no recollection of what I was doing with my arms.  Head tilted back and I just kinda sank; once that happened I shot my arms up.   I remember seeing the sun through the surface of the water like it happened yesterday.

ETA:  My mom claims I survived.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:44:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I've spent my life on the beach, and can't tell you how many times I've seen a family member not go home with the family at a vacation's end.  It's a very sad occurrence for sure.  Most of the folks involved had no idea how dangerous the ocean can be, or were either drunk or high at the time.  Know how to spot a rip current, and know your limitations, cause mother ocean can be a merciless bitch when she wants to.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:47:37 PM EDT
[#5]
The thought of drowning scares me severely.  PFD is on at all times when I am fishing.  I roll down my truck windows when launching and loading in case something bad happens.  I have a throwable PFD with a rope attached in a dry box that is never locked.  What is amazing is how many people have a throwable loose in the boat and have given no thought about what happens if you miss.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#6]
The one adult I have saved from drowning actually managed to shout help before he went under.  Didn't matter, I was already on my way, but I was always told someone drowning was silent.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#7]
good info
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:50:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did actually drown in a pool when I was younger.  I didn't know how to swim at the time, I recall specifically thrashing my legs, but no recollection of what I was doing with my arms.  Head tilted back and I just kinda sank; once that happened I shot my arms up.   I remember seeing the sun through the surface of the water like it happened yesterday.

View Quote

Before that happened, I bet you had some Berenstein Bears books.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:50:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Should have been called the SAVE YOUR LIFE JACKET, instead of just Life Jacket.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:51:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:52:08 PM EDT
[#11]
The second graphic, all the guy has to do is move forward about 5 feet, and then stand up.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:54:49 PM EDT
[#12]
This is what drowning looks like...

What a nightmare...
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:57:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The second graphic, all the guy has to do is move forward about 5 feet, and then stand up.
View Quote

He's actually just practicing prancersize.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:00:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

https://backcountrytranquility.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/gyp6.jpg

What a nightmare...
View Quote

respectfully, what am I looking at there?
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:00:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I LOL'd at the "invisible ladder" part. I'm a terrible person.

People really should learn how to swim, or at the very least how to float properly (bend at the waist and lay face down in the water to create surface area. Only lift your head out to take a breath and make sure to steadily exhale with your face in the water before you take a breath). You should be able to float indefinitely with very little energy expenditure. You're more buoyant in salt water so floating is even easier.

It could save your life.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What a nightmare...
View Quote

Ok, fuck that.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:01:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Someone talked!
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:03:42 PM EDT
[#18]
It's important that this gets posted every year at the beginning of summer.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:06:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Story time:

My son almost drowned three years ago. We were spearfishing and had been in the water for about four hours. I know four hours sounds like a long time but it's not that unusual for us to snorkle for 4 to 6 hours at a time. He's grown up in the water as did I. Anyways, long story short, he got tired and gave up. He looked me straight in the eye, no expression, closed his eyes and went under. I grabbed him and shook the shit out of him "WAKE THE FUCK UP!" I yelled and he said "what?". Had I not been right next to him he'd have been gone. That was the second time I had seen that happen. I once saved a teenager from drowning in a pool. Same thing, one second he looked fine, next second he was under water.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:07:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Can she provide any proof?
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:08:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What a nightmare...

That's what happens to people who dive in caves without knowing how to dive in caves.

I did some cave/cavern diving many years ago, and I still say it's the most fun you can have in the water and the closest one can be to becoming an astronaut without leaving the ground, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a very dangerous sport.

Experts die doing it even after decades of experience.

Still long to do it again, though...
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:09:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

People really should learn how to swim, or at the very least how to float properly (bend at the waist and lay face down in the water to create surface area. Only lift your head out to take a breath and make sure to steadily exhale with your face in the water before you take a breath). You should be able to float indefinitely with very little energy expenditure. You're more buoyant in salt water so floating is even easier.

http://www.pa59ers.com/library/Harrison/images/fhh68.jpg

It could save your life.
View Quote

I'm lucky.

I carry my floatation device around with me all the time. It's also my emergency food storage system.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Great post OP, thanks.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:10:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Story time:

My son almost drowned three years ago. We were spearfishing and had been in the water for about four hours. I know four hours sounds like a long time but it's not that unusual for us to snorkle for 4 to 6 hours at a time. He's grown up in the water as did I. Anyways, long story short, he got tired and gave up. He looked me straight in the eye, no expression, closed his eyes and went under. I grabbed him and shook the shit out of him "WAKE THE FUCK UP!" I yelled and he said "what?". Had I not been right next to him he'd have been gone. That was the second time I had seen that happen. I once saved a teenager from drowning in a pool. Same thing, one second he looked fine, next second he was under water.
View Quote

Now that I've never heard of...
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:12:28 PM EDT
[#25]
My biggest fear, almost drowned in my uncles pool when I was 17.
If he hadn't realized what was going on, I wouldn't be typing this.
To this day (I'm 51) I can swim fine, but can't relax enough to tread water,
I sink like a stone.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:16:53 PM EDT
[#26]

Whole bunch from them on there...
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:19:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I dive a very popular spot for partiers here in AZ.
Over the years I pull at least One near drown out EVERY FREAKIN YEAR!
One of the most idiotic was a girl who had a life vest and claimed not to know how to swim, but wasn't wearing it.
When asked why not, the reply was...
"Because it'd ruin my tan line!"
Almost felt like throwing her back.

On a side note:
If you have someone that has had a near drowning experience, or has inhaled a significant amount of water, please take them to the ER for further evaluation.
Pneumonia and other respratory problems can result from their incident.

And as Dave Muncie says:
Watch your kids around water!
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#28]
I drowned once.  About twenty something years ago I disrespected some black kid by talking to his ex.  So in a public pool him and two of his homies held my head underwater until I sunk.  Lifeguard saw it, brought me back.  Once my friends found out the three thugs were ended up in the ICU.

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:20:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I went under in the ocean when I was 2, pulled out not breathing by a life guard who got me going again too.  Sandy Hook.

I pulled a drowning kid out once too though, so I kinda feel even steven there.  

What those graphics state is 110% true.  It does not look as you would expect.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:21:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I worked drowning #30 last year.  Haven't had one yet this year. Just a matter of time.

Edit.  By drownings, I mean dead.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#31]
crazy.

I had no idea that drowning happens so frequently to people considered strong swimmers.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:28:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Terrific, now I have a GREAT visual of how my late brother died.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:28:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It could save your life.
View Quote

Not everyone floats even with a full breath. My friend doesn't. I tried to teach him that survival floating technique but he still slowly drops down to the bottom. Luckily, he is an expert free diver otherwise we would never go fishing, diving or swimming. If he ever got tossed into the water without any floatation, he would be toast in just 1 or 2 hours instead of several hours or days.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Growing up in CT you'd hear of a rash of drownings this time of year, EVERY YEAR, just across the border at Putnam Lake, NY.

Low income city families would go there for the weekend, and bam, people would drown.

Probably the one time a year those kids/families were around swimmable bodies of water, and they'd always be drinking.

Leads to stupid shit.

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
http://youtu.be/ALbQbfHaRL0

View Quote

I'm seeing a pattern in those videos
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The one adult I have saved from drowning actually managed to shout help before he went under.  Didn't matter, I was already on my way, but I was always told someone drowning was silent.
View Quote

Yup the silent killer... And while we are on this subject... WEAR YOUR PFD!!! 85% of all boaters that drown did not have a PFD on!!!!
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:34:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

The kid I pulled out was about five, six.  All he had to do was reach forward and grab the lip of the pool.  He didn't.  He just bobbed and gasped.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:34:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yup the silent killer... And while we are on this subject... WEAR YOUR PFD!!! 85% of all boaters that drown did not have a PFD on!!!!
<a href="http://s17.photobucket.com/user/leondana/media/F66CAF1C-01A0-4FA8-9A90-4C034EB8D406_zpsaoqh4yt9.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b96/leondana/F66CAF1C-01A0-4FA8-9A90-4C034EB8D406_zpsaoqh4yt9.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s17.photobucket.com/user/leondana/media/F66CAF1C-01A0-4FA8-9A90-4C034EB8D406_zpsaoqh4yt9.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b96/leondana/F66CAF1C-01A0-4FA8-9A90-4C034EB8D406_zpsaoqh4yt9.jpg</a>

I assume the other 15% were black-out drunk.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:40:26 PM EDT
[#39]
And be careful if you are trying to rescue someone, always try to use a float or something they can reach for first if its at all possible(all that shit you see hanging on the side of pools, thats what it for).   Going in the water should be your last resort, drowning ppl will fucking drown you in an attempt to get out of the water and get air.  If you do have to go in, try to approach from the rear (we'd train to just swim under them and come up behind) and try to grab them across the chest with your arm. If you find yourself in trouble go underwater to break the contact and get away(drowning ppl really dont want to be underwater), then try again. 90% of my saves were little kids that their parents just left them in/near the water while they were back on their beach towel, dont fucking do that if you kid is so small it can barely walk.  

I was lucky that I was off the day there was a body recovery from someone who jumped the fence and went into the water at the place I used to lifeguard.

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Terrific, now I have a GREAT visual of how my late brother died.
View Quote

I'm sorry about your brother. That must have been horrible.
Still, this kind of information is important to reduce further drownings.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#41]
I can swim, but not very well.

So I'm super cool and life vest up when I jump in the lake
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I drowned once.  About twenty something years ago I disrespected some black kid by talking to his ex.  So in a public pool him and two of his homies held my head underwater until I sunk.  Lifeguard saw it, brought me back.  Once my friends found out the three thugs were ended up in the ICU.

View Quote

Probably would have been easier just to have your friend push them in the deep end while the lifeguard was busy.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:48:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow... yes there are.  Just about brought tears to me eyes thinking all those kids would be dead without the life guard.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#44]
I remember during my lifeguard training the instructor tried to drown me. She wanted everyone to know that sometimes the people you are trying to save might try to use you as a human buoy and climb on top of you.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:54:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Anyone notice a trend while watching these video's? What is it with black people, water, and lack of ability to swim? Please don't give me the "their poor, and no pools" shit. I grew up poor, and there's always a public pool in poor area's.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I've spent my life on the beach, and can't tell you how many times I've seen a family member not go home with the family at a vacation's end.  It's a very sad occurrence for sure.  Most of the folks involved had no idea how dangerous the ocean can be, or were either drunk or high at the time.  Know how to spot a rip current, and know your limitations, cause mother ocean can be a merciless bitch when she wants to.
View Quote
It should get interesting here in NE Florida.  We have a decent swell hitting Sunday/Monday.  All the summer pros come out this weekend.

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:13:14 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Not everyone floats even with a full breath. My friend doesn't. I tried to teach him that survival floating technique but he still slowly drops down to the bottom. Luckily, he is an expert free diver otherwise we would never go fishing, diving or swimming. If he ever got tossed into the water without any floatation, he would be toast in just 1 or 2 hours instead of several hours or days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It could save your life.

I don't float either.   But I'm great underwater.  Only a few SWBs I grew up swimming/surfing/diving,etc so I know how to get myself out of stupid self inflicted situations.  I've only had a few situations where I didn't think I would make it.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:22:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS!!

I consider myself a fairly strong swimmer and water treader but when I boat or kayak I always keep my PFD on. I see all these people kayaking with no PFD, I don't get it. If I flip over and hit my head I'd like to have the PFD on my side.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:23:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Anyone notice a trend while watching these video's? What is it with black people, water, and lack of ability to swim? Please don't give me the "their poor, and no pools" shit. I grew up poor, and there's always a public pool in poor area's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But did your parents take the time to teach you? Absente parenting is big in the urban black community look at the demographic numbers for single parent households and not completing highschool. If your single parent doesn't give enough of a shit to make sure you make it through school or can even read whats the chances they teach you to swim?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top