Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/14/2015 10:27:49 AM EDT
What was the reason for using it during the training op in San Francisco during 1999?

Also notice that theh used period LE Armor Vests with the snap button velcro attachment points.

I find the stuff interesting but can't really get much info on it.

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:29:05 AM EDT
[#1]
WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT SHIT?

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:29:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm guessing it's about right angles in cities.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:29:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Tier 1 skateboard!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:29:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:30:14 AM EDT
[#5]
concrete/cinder block camo?
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:30:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:31:42 AM EDT
[#7]
looks pretty damn effective here...

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:31:58 AM EDT
[#8]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1024159_Marine_andamp_quot_T_blockandamp_quot__camo.html

That's back when all the services were testing new patterns, so maybe they just wanted to see how it would perform.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:32:19 AM EDT
[#9]
MK16 Mod 1 skateboard...groovy
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:33:34 AM EDT
[#10]
That pattern is fucking with me.....it keeps on trying to spell something......."Fuck You, Army" something.....

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:34:22 AM EDT
[#11]
now that the patent for MARPAT is almost expired, someone needs to make uniforms in the urban pattern that was never fielded

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:34:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Or because they thought it was harder for night visit to see  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm guessing it's about right angles in cities.
Or because they thought it was harder for night visit to see  

They mostly come at night. Mostly.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:35:08 AM EDT
[#13]
lol

do these people ever step back 100 yards and look just to make sure that all their hard work doesn't just blend in together in to a black, grey or green solid uniform.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:35:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

That pattern is fucking with me.....it keeps on trying to spell something......."Fuck You, Army" something.....

View Quote
Nobody ever accused Marines of being able to spell.  

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:36:48 AM EDT
[#15]
So is Vans making combat boots now?
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:39:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Good times. The one and only time I've ever been to San Fran.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:39:54 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote
Word says the Mil was seeing if they can use them to detect trip wires during that op.

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:40:11 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

lol

do these people ever step back 100 yards and look just to make sure that all their hard work doesn't just blend in together in to a black, grey or green solid uniform.
View Quote

thats one of the largest, most open, macro-patterns used on a recent camo pattern.  how far would engagement distances be in an urban environment anyway?

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:40:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

You haven't seen the DEFCON series yet, huh?
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:47:20 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
thats one of the largest, most open, macro-patterns used on a recent camo pattern.  how far would engagement distances be in an urban environment anyway?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

lol

yes and it still turns into a grey.

and in an urban situation i would rather give up upclose blending in in favor of being harder to see from planes and snipers overlooking the area.

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:48:47 AM EDT
[#22]
cities are composed of angular lines and from a distance everything blurs into a sort of grey. This is no different then the Berlin Brigade camo for vehicles that was extremely effective for that particular environment. In that case a tank in normal green could be seen easily almost a km down the road. The same tanks with Berlin camo virtually disappeared and if not moving sometimes would not be noticed until the 200m mark even when sitting in the open.

Berlin Camo

A tank parked in the open - pic taken at about 150m:
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#23]
that tank camo  is surprisingly effective
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:53:22 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:53:46 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

cities are composed of angular lines and from a distance everything blurs into a sort of grey. This is no different then the Berlin Brigade camo for vehicles that was extremely effective for that particular environment. In that case a tank in normal green could be seen easily almost a km down the road. The same tanks with Berlin camo virtually disappeared and if not moving sometimes would not be noticed until the 200m mark even when sitting in the open.

Berlin Camo

http://i.imgur.com/yjSuR1Y.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-eH8UKE1EOAs/UlAolhbZIHI/AAAAAAAABMk/se23KzOAF9c/s640/berlinbrigadechieftainh.jpg
View Quote
Damn that works well.

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:55:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Damn that works well.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Berlin Camo

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-eH8UKE1EOAs/UlAolhbZIHI/AAAAAAAABMk/se23KzOAF9c/s640/berlinbrigadechieftainh.jpg
Damn that works well.  

Dazzle for a straight line environment
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:55:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Berlin Camo

View Quote

Wow. Does a damn good job of blending in. You can tell something is in front of that building, but by the time I would have realized its a tank, I'd be blown into little pieces.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:56:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:58:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Seems pretty badass.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:03:50 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Berlin Camo

View Quote

yeah, if this camo had larger patterns like 6-8 inches on it and replace the black stripes with white it would have been more effective far away.

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:06:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:08:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey, you don't have to know how to spell to have an interesting time out on hippie patrol..
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:09:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I was part of Urban Warrior.

We tried all sorts of experimental crap. The T-block (I still have mine) was one of them. We also played with a computer system that strapped to the front of the soldier and relayed each persons position back to a central location... But we kept breaking the computers.

As to the vests, we were given a few different examples of armor to try, as that is when they were trying to select a new armor system. The Interceptor eventually won out.
View Quote

The Army, using the 4th ID(M), was going through Force XXI around the same time. It involved testing a lot of new uniform items, vehicles, and computer systems.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:15:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:27:00 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Berlin Camo

View Quote

some CV90 action...

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:33:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 1:55:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Can I volunteer to be command sergeant major of the Tetris Army
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 2:10:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol

Lacks contrast needed for breaking up the outline at a distance.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 2:13:59 PM EDT
[#39]
It was an experiment pattern provided by the Marine Corps Warfighting Lab for project metropolis also known as Urban Warrior
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 3:46:00 PM EDT
[#40]
In '96, as a Marine, we used that camo as an aggressor force against an army unit in some kind of war games.  Ours didn't have the 'U.S. MARINES' nametape, but had aggressor handwritten over one pocket and Marines handwritten over the other pocket.  I seem to think that we thought big army and all their money had supplied the uniforms.

I still have a set somewhere around the house.  Somehow they never got turned back in.

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 3:56:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Jade Helm 99.

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 4:16:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Hey, you don't have to know how to spell to have an interesting time out on hippie patrol..  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obviously it was abandoned for a reason.  Because if it was around now, surely even Marines would have figured out how to make it spell "FBHO".

Hmmmm....   Maybe come the revolution that's an idea for the rebel cammo pattern.  T-Block that spells FBHO when looked at from a specific angle.  Friend or Foe ID made easy.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 5:19:30 PM EDT
[#44]
I remember seeing this about, as a young Marine in '99 - always intrigued me.
I dyed sets of desert 3's grey, in an attempt to mimic these.
Would love to have a set !
That and the experimental urban Marpat.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 5:22:51 PM EDT
[#45]
They should go with this:

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 5:31:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Squares and rectangles make for excellent urban camo, but more earth tones resembling red brick, grey concrete, and brown stone (with black for mottled shadows from trees) make more sense than the green they're using--unless they be operating on a golf course

Which is what it looks like...
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 5:46:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Urban_Warrior
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 6:54:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Turns out they also experimented with Urban Woodland too.

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 6:57:18 PM EDT
[#49]

that's just dumb.  and 'fashion' urban woodland has been a thing since the 80's

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 7:02:56 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Might be dumb and been around but still seems that they tried it out.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top