Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/20/2015 12:13:56 PM EDT
Still not letting my guard down, but this article brings a smile to my face...

Why gun control is doomed

NO NEW laws restricting access to guns will be passed as a result of Wednesday’s racist shooting rampage, which left nine dead at the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston, South Carolina. Americans can be confident this is true for several reasons. For starters, Barack Obama more or less admitted it.

Americans need to reckon with the fact that other advanced countries do not have to face this sort of mass violence, the president said in a sombre statement at the White House on Thursday. “It is in our power to do something about it. I say that recognising the politics in this town foreclose a lot of the avenues just now. But it would be wrong for us not to acknowledge it,” he said, with visible frustration.

The president knows that if it were politically possible to pass new gun laws in Washington, it would have happened after the December 2012 massacre in Newtown, Connecticut. It is hard to imagine a tragedy more calculated to shock American consciences: 20 small children and six staff were gunned down in their elementary school in a quaint New England community by a disturbed young man, wielding a rifle from his mother’s gun collection. Various marginal tweaks to gun laws were tried and failed to gain traction in Congress. Finally, a bipartisan push was made to merely enforce existing laws better. This would have expanded the number of gun-buyers checked for histories of crime or severe mental illness. It failed, too.

Americans can be confident that South Carolina is not about to pass new gun laws, either. For evidence, they can start by contemplating this photograph, tweeted out by a local reporter:

It shows the standing ovation that followed a call for gun controls at a vigil on Thursday, during which two Republican leaders remained seated, hands in their laps: Governor Nikki Haley and Senator Tim Scott. For them it was easier to suffer a moment’s embarrassment than face accusations from local Republicans that they are “gun grabbers”, unwilling to defend what conservatives believe is a near-absolute right to bear arms in the Second Amendment to the Constitution[/uote]

more @ http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2015/06/charleston-and-public-policy
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:18:26 PM EDT
[#1]
OK, not sure if serious.

I'm with you OP. This isn't over, not by a long shot.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:19:26 PM EDT
[#2]
All but two people cheering gun control = gun control is dead?
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:23:50 PM EDT
[#3]
"That" is one of those pictures people talk about which speaks a thousand words.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:27:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Prolly the only non-D's in the room, ie. non-leftists
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:27:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
OK, not sure if serious.

I'm with you OP. This isn't over, not by a long shot.
View Quote

This.  They just won the gay rights battle.  That frees up money for other causes near and dear to the left.  That victory came faster than they thought it would, and that makes them optimistic about agendas they were giving up on, including gun control.  I think they're going to double down on gun control in near future.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:29:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I keep hearing Obama is doing this and Obama is going to do that......Since he is the head of the Democratic Party are the Democrats as a party not responsible for this? Is this something Hillary really wants to address right now? If Hilliary is going to lead the Democratic Party she should be at the forefront for any new gun control attempts right? If by chance a Democrat does support the 2nd amendment then they should feel the heat also and in turn apply pressure internally. Gun control is clearly an issue for 2016 it will be interesting to see how the candidates handle it
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:32:04 PM EDT
[#8]
The goal is to smear every conservative gun owner with the label of "RIGHT WING RACIST HATE MONGER".
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:33:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
"That" is one of those pictures people talk about which speaks a thousand words.
View Quote

Like the masses cheering on after a Hitler speech.

Ammiright?
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:35:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The goal is to smear every conservative gun owner with the label of "RIGHT WING RACIST HATE MONGER".
View Quote

You mean a scapegoat?

I remember that tactic being taught in like 9th grade history class... How soon people forget their .gov.edu .
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

The two you see seated in that picture represent the majority of people in that state, and they know it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:42:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Interesting.

The only two not standing and cheering for more gun control are a black man and an Indian woman.

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:56:42 PM EDT
[#13]
We can save more American lives by sending all black people back to africa. Yet that would be a violation of their constitutional rights. How is it some folks fail to see the big picture effect of their knee jerk feels?
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:59:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We can save more American lives by sending all black people back to africa. Yet that would be a violation of their constitutional rights. How is it some folks fail to see the big picture effect of their knee jerk feels?
View Quote

Wow, & I was called racist... Nice.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s a statistical fact. Used as an example. I don’t really give a fuck anymore. Go ahead and call me racist. Doesn’t mean anything to me.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 1:03:17 PM EDT
[#16]
That picture that was tweeted is awesome.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 1:03:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I came to post this.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 1:05:25 PM EDT
[#18]
The liberals want a world where they can do whatever they want inside of their jail cell. The Jailers want a world were they can do whatever they want.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 1:05:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

For all the amount people cry in this country about how awful they have it. You know, like how America has an actual problem with vast numbers of overweight people living in poverty.

They would saw off both arms and legs just to stay here.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 1:08:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't see anything coming from this.  I also don't see anyone panic buying in my area.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 1:10:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Sorry for your loss, assholes. Too bad your loved ones weren't armed.

Fuck you commies for seeking to strip me and my family of the right to self defense.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 1:11:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably, but Senator Tim Scott is black (guy sitting in the pic)
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 1:18:16 PM EDT
[#23]
What about blacks killing blacks, I guess that is okay ?
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 1:24:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 1:27:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Does that situation seem like a setup for the two Republicans there...in the front row? Or am I being insensitive?

ETA...If so, it's brilliant.

Damned if you go, Damned if you don't.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 1:38:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Nothing will come of this.  It's just a feel good moment for gun grabbers- they feel good about implementing new gun control when the corpses were/are still in the morgue.

You just have to engage the debate to solidify the 2A for future generations.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Governor and Senator.  Only their votes matter.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 1:47:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you also plan to strip those black Americans of their citizenship while your sending them to Africa?  Because if you don't, they will all probably die in Africa, as Americans.

You should avoid posting dumb things, people might mistake you for an idiot.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 1:48:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What about blacks killing blacks, I guess that is okay ?
View Quote

Can't start a race war w/ black on black violence, so you don't hear about it in the media.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Do you also plan to strip those black Americans of their citizenship while your sending them to Africa?  Because if you don't, they will all probably die in Africa, as Americans.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could be wrong, but I think you missed his point.

The point as I understand it is that the idea behind the Constitution is that no matter how good an idea may or may not be, you can't just do whatever you want to make yourselves feel better in the short term. People's rights can't be violated.

Gun owners should not have their rights infringed upon any more than black people should, regardless of whether or not somebody thinks it will solve some problem.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#31]
It's an accurate title.

Nothing will happen except everyone will panic and CTD will get richer.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 5:29:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The point as I understand it is that the idea behind the Constitution is that no matter how good an idea may or may not be, you can't just do whatever you want to make yourselves feel better in the short term. People's rights can't be violated.

Gun owners should not have their rights infringed upon any more than black people should, regardless of whether or not somebody thinks it will solve some problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You nailed it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 8:48:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You nailed it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You nailed it.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This isn't over, not by a long shot.
View Quote

Until 2016 it is.

This is already going down the memory hole for most Americans, the iron is cooling off, the time to strike is gone.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Gun control is not dead, but new gun control bills are non starters until after the next election.

Link Posted: 6/21/2015 9:44:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Gun control is not dead, but new gun control bills are non starters until after the next election.

View Quote

Maybe.
I still feel that bad winds are going to start blowing and call me a panic buyer but I bought a case of ammo this very day and intend to do the same again in a few weeks.
Fuck another 2013 again with acute shortages and prices thru the roof.
If I'm wrong I have a lot of ammo to shoot.
If I'm right I am at least prepared for the shit storm.
And that damn assclown Obama is going to join in on this shit again.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 9:45:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 9:50:48 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Ammiright?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ammiright?

You are.

Right after he took all of the Jews rights to live, and stuffed them into ovens.

Link Posted: 6/21/2015 9:55:44 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Sorry for your loss, assholes. Too bad your loved ones weren't armed.

Fuck you commies for seeking to strip me and my family of the right to self defense.
View Quote

It's too bad the pastor of the church was soooo anti-gun that he wouldn't allow any of his parishioners to carry in his church.

Link Posted: 6/21/2015 10:12:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 10:58:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thank you!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You nailed it.

Thank you!

I like your original good point and even on par factually.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 12:44:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

When one is the Governor and the other is a US Senator from that state... yep, pretty much.

ETA:  Rats... C-4 beat me to it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 12:59:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Yeah but now politicians will have to prove their not racist by voting for stricter laws.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 1:11:05 AM EDT
[#44]

This is fucking insulting. Not because it's portraying gun owners as paranoid of impending gun control that would make their firearm illegal -- but because of the depiction of an AR and the cartoon gun owner's trigger discipline.

Fuck you, Horsey.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 1:30:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

There it is. The dumbest thing I read all day. Something so dumb I decided to go to bed.

There are a few countries in mainly North Africa with a lower murder rate than the US. So no, they wouldn't be safer in Africa. Especially once you factor in shit like malaria and other diseases we don't have to deal with here, I am pretty sure all of Africa is less safe than the US.

Link Posted: 6/22/2015 1:36:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

There it is. The dumbest thing I read all day. Something so dumb I decided to go to bed.

There are a few countries in mainly North Africa with a lower murder rate than the US. So no, they wouldn't be safer in Africa. Especially once you factor in shit like malaria and other diseases we don't have to deal with here, I am pretty sure all of Africa is less safe than the US.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no idea what you’re attempting to communicate. Perhaps bed time is a good idea.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 9:04:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I have no idea what you’re attempting to communicate. Perhaps bed time is a good idea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt you wanted to send black Americans to Africa so they would be safe from the crime in their neighborhoods.

Now re-reading and your response I see you're a Stormfront fool, wanting to export them to keep you safe.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 10:29:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

You got that right.As so plainly illustrated by this little tid-bit from the article...

" Post-graduates are much keener on gun control than those with high school educations alone. Gun ownership follows similar trends.

In short, questions over guns are becoming questions of identity... The America that believes that guns make the country more dangerous—urban, educated, Democratic America—is proposing to disarm the America that is sure (indeed increasingly sure) that safety lies in keeping firearms close by."

So basically they are smarter, more Urban (urbane?), while we are tribal and uncouth.  And racist.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 10:33:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt you wanted to send black Americans to Africa so they would be safe from the crime in their neighborhoods.

Now re-reading and your response I see you're a Stormfront fool, wanting to export them to keep you safe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha! Laughable! You're all over the place.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 10:52:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Nothing will come of this.  It's just a feel good moment for gun grabbers- they feel good about implementing new gun control when the corpses were/are still in the morgue.

You just have to engage the debate to solidify the 2A for future generations.
View Quote

It's despicable the events that bring about that feel-good moment for liberals, the depraved fucks.

Innocent people killed and liberals are like . . . .

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top