Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 4:02:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There is also a museum in Las Vegas.  When i swung through a couple years ago there was an incredibly nice woman who's husband had been a weather technician for some of the testing done in alaska.

well worth the visit if you're in the area
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait.... we have a US Nuclear Weapons Museum? Why the fuck I wasn't ever told about this! Damn it GD.... you're fucking slipping!

There is also a museum in Las Vegas.  When i swung through a couple years ago there was an incredibly nice woman who's husband had been a weather technician for some of the testing done in alaska.

well worth the visit if you're in the area

Have to agree on the visit being worth the stop.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 4:04:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Needs to be tested at Baltimore Test Range, in Maryland, instead of Nevada.
View Quote

Hey now.

At least give me 24 hours head start
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 4:31:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Function test all over SF ... FTW
View Quote

No way we are still dealing with the fallout from the gay bomb we tested there in the 60's.

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 7:53:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Nobody is going to be putting eyes on a target for a nuclear bomb. Bomb will be dropped from high altitude and I would think that the sheer destructive power of a nuclear blast makes the need for precision guidance a moot point.

The only situation where I could see nuclear gravity bombs being relevant would be for follow up strikes and that only after all other nuclear weapons have been used or are being held in reserve if they survived the first strike in case another enemy launches on us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
With all the improvements in air defense, isn't a nuclear gravity bomb pretty much useless these days?

We SHOULD be upgrading and building more nuclear stealth cruise missiles, improving our ballistic missiles, and doing serious work on hypersonic missiles.

No.  There's still a very valid need for a weapon you have to put eyes on target for.  OTH weapons have their place, too, but when you absolutely, positively have to kill it, a large(r than you can put on a missile) weapon eyeballed into the DGZ is the way to go.  

Nobody is going to be putting eyes on a target for a nuclear bomb. Bomb will be dropped from high altitude and I would think that the sheer destructive power of a nuclear blast makes the need for precision guidance a moot point.

The only situation where I could see nuclear gravity bombs being relevant would be for follow up strikes and that only after all other nuclear weapons have been used or are being held in reserve if they survived the first strike in case another enemy launches on us.

No.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 9:59:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Sorry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
With all the improvements in air defense, isn't a nuclear gravity bomb pretty much useless these days?

We SHOULD be upgrading and building more nuclear stealth cruise missiles, improving our ballistic missiles, and doing serious work on hypersonic missiles.

Where's sylvan?

What the hell!?!  What am I, chopped liver?  

Sorry.

The real funny part is that 6-7 years ago, I was the one educating Sylvan.  Now he's as good a nuclear airpower advocate as I am.  Dark side conversion:  accomplished.  

Maybe if I call him Dannie to my Mr Miyagi....    
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:36:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:40:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wait.... we have a US Nuclear Weapons Museum? Why the fuck I wasn't ever told about this! Damn it GD.... you're fucking slipping!
View Quote

it's a great museum, along with the one in Las Vegas.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:46:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:46:53 AM EDT
[#9]
My dad is in several photo's in the museum here in vegas
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:49:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:51:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Nah - the B83 is the crowd pleaser.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=10790

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IBJH

In before Jade Helm!

I love me some B-61.  Big crowd pleaser!

Dude! Is THAT your spare room?

TC

ETA: Beat by 13 hours.. Great minds and all...
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:57:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You want big? Here's your Castle Bravo avatar in a convenient deliverable package.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=10796

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  The 'Dial-a-Boom' is the massive crowd pleaser.  Big bad megaton is 'mother of all crowds pleaser'.  You need to get your crowd sizer calibrated!  The scale starts with SRAM's as the 'party favors' and goes up from there...

You want big? Here's your Castle Bravo avatar in a convenient deliverable package.

When were you there?

Ah, 2009.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 12:38:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Las Vegas
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Las Vegas

I've been there, and it was very educational.  If you go, allow about 3 hours to go through the entire museum.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 12:45:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Fat man and little boy with a 20oz bottle on them for size comparison.

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 12:53:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Could we do it while the wind is blowing south at least?
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 1:08:15 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Based on the vid I could use a low yield underground detonation at my new farm as it would make creating a pond so much easier
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 1:08:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where's sylvan?

You may self identify as pâté, if it makes you feel more valued.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 1:10:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Triad, baby. Triad.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
While we're at it - more pictures from the US nuclear museum from 2009. The lower limit isn't an SRAM, it's a Davy Crockett:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=10794

Speaking of SRAM:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=10787

Lima-xray's favorite Mk12 RV:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=10804

And the newer Mk21's from on a Trident Bus:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=10800

I'm always amazed by how small the physics package is based, for example this W80:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=10799

Old Minuteman-I

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=10803

I believe this is a Mk-V RV for a W59 warhead used in the above Minuteman-I

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=10795
View Quote

One correction, the Trident C4 (pictured) used the Mk4/W76.  The Peacekeeper used the Mk21 (now retrofitted to the MMIII). The flat nose (vs rounded on the Mk21) is the primary visual difference.  

To an idiot savant,  "no social skills, but I know nukes" geek like me.  
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 7:04:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  There's still a very valid need for a weapon you have to put eyes on target for.  OTH weapons have their place, too, but when you absolutely, positively have to kill it, a large(r than you can put on a missile) weapon eyeballed into the DGZ is the way to go.  

Not exactly.  Low level penetration has been the standard for all non-stealth aircraft for decades.  I can't go into SIOP theory but the manned bombers had targets that were complementary with the missile targets.  Avoiding fratricide is important when you are dealing with bunches of nukes from different platforms.

BTW, I was part of a three ship flight of B-52D's (1955 vintage) that penetrated a large range in the western US which was being defended by state of the art (for the 1980's) missile systems and F-14's.  We were never touched and did live releases (inert) on the designated targets.  Tactics and keeping the ECM current does wonders.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 7:08:25 PM EDT
[#22]
What is your opinion of hypersonic cruise missiles armed with nuclear warheads?

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 7:10:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 7:18:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The upgrade for the B61 turns it into a JDAM.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 7:24:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 7:27:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Not if Major Kong is piloting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can always recall planes.

Not if Major Kong is piloting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSofqNSuVy8
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 7:34:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Newer warheads are far more compact with much higher yield.
8 megatons is SOP.

We already have hypersonic vehicles, they are called reentry enclosures.
Delivered anywhere in the world we want.

We stopped using actual 'ballistic' missiles long ago and now guide them based on celestial navigation of the missile 'bus.'
The individual warheads are dropped off as desired.
And even those are not strictly ballistic any more.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 7:38:09 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 7:58:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

You, Sir...  Win the Internet!!
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 8:09:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Love the nuclear threads, a walk down memory lane from 84-94 as a 463X0. Good times!
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 8:10:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Clickbait title.  It was not a 'nuclear' bomb.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 8:12:02 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I can say with all honesty that I have sat my ass on a real live B61, B83, and a SRAM. On multiple occasions.

<<< USAF SAC AMMO cold war.

TCABC
View Quote

Is that why you can't have children?

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 8:32:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Nonsense. We really don't have anything over 500kt anymore due to increased accuracy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
8 megatons is SOP.

Nonsense. We really don't have anything over 500kt anymore due to increased accuracy.

Lots of WTF in that post, but the 8MT comment was over the top.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 8:48:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 8:53:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
8 megatons is SOP.

We stopped using actual 'ballistic' missiles long ago and now guide them based on celestial navigation of the missile 'bus.'
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 9:01:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
8 megatons is SOP.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 9:14:24 PM EDT
[#39]
No, they didn't.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 9:32:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 9:32:47 PM EDT
[#41]

Oh, yeah. He could use several.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 9:50:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Las Vegas
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Las Vegas

And you can arrange a trip to the NTS too, although there are limited numbers of excursions there.  No cameras, no pickup up and dirt or rocks.  I think you can walk up to the rim of the Sedan crater.  I want to go there.  
I did make a drive up to and into the Faultless crater.  Its maybe 75 yards diameter, maybe a little bigger and 12' deep at most.  They set of a big bomb there, "megaton" range, pretty deep.  It actually ended up causing a fault to slip and force a lot of shale oil up to the surface.   When you were howard hughes, you could ask for and get anything.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:13:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Triad, baby. Triad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Triad, baby. Triad.

My point is that instead of arming bombers with nuclear gravity bombs, we should be arming them with stand off weapons. That is where our research and money should be going.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 7:55:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

My point is that instead of arming bombers with nuclear gravity bombs, we should be arming them with stand off weapons. That is where our research and money should be going.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Triad, baby. Triad.

Standoff weapons are good...when you need a standoff weapon.  Sometimes you need to actually overfly the target, because you may want the ability to terminate right up to the very last second. Sometimes the target is relocatable, and standoff weapons don't work when the target moves around. Sometimes you need to overfly the target because you know what the target looks like, but not necessarily where it is or what the air defenses in the area are, and you need a human brain in the loop to overcome those obstacles.

Sometimes, standoff weapons are like using a butter knife as a screwdriver.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 9:26:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can say with all honesty that I have sat my ass on a real live B61, B83, and a SRAM. On multiple occasions.

<<< USAF SAC AMMO cold war.

TCABC

I got started in the program in 1958 when it was it was called ASSWIPE.  Actually it was AFSWP which stood for Armed Forces Special Weapons Project. I worked on the MK5 to start and finished up on the B61.  I did one tour in a Depot where we worked on Army, Navy and Air force weapons.  Prior to the inception of the two fool rule, we slept in the magazine with the weapons because it was air conditioned.  The MK7 (and a few others) could have been detonated by a crazy but we didn't have many of them around back then.  In 1968 I became part of the Defense Atomic Support Agency Nuclear Emergency Team. DASA NET which responded to weapons accidents around the world.  Fun times but like all good things it slowly became more bull shit than fun so I moved on.

I'm amazed to see the B61 still part of the stockpile after 40 years
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 10:08:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I got started in the program in 1958 when it was it was called ASSWIPE.  Actually it was AFSWP which stood for Armed Forces Special Weapons Project. I worked on the MK5 to start and finished up on the B61.  I did one tour in a Depot where we worked on Army, Navy and Air force weapons.  Prior to the inception of the two fool rule, we slept in the magazine with the weapons because it was air conditioned.  The MK7 (and a few others) could have been detonated by a crazy but we didn't have many of them around back then.  In 1968 I became part of the Defense Atomic Support Agency Nuclear Emergency Team. DASA NET which responded to weapons accidents around the world.  Fun times but like all good things it slowly became more bull shit than fun so I moved on.

I'm amazed to see the B61 still part of the stockpile after 40 years
View Quote

Did you have racks in the mag, or did you just sleep on clean, padded surfaces?
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 10:11:54 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 10:12:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
B61 drop shape at the US Nuclear Museum in Albuquerque:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=10789
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 10:22:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  The 'Dial-a-Boom' is the massive crowd pleaser.  Big bad megaton is 'mother of all crowds pleaser'.  You need to get your crowd sizer calibrated!  The scale starts with SRAM's as the 'party favors' and goes up from there...

This party sucks... Lithium-7 brought all his friends and now it turned into a giant out of control tritium fest...

Fuck this island...
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 10:36:19 AM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

What is in those containers at 7:46 anybody know? Almost looks like some sort of test subjects.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top