Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2015 11:06:43 PM EDT
Remains about 50 feet from suburban home.  When I say 50 feet that is from my house.  The leftovers were about 10 feet from a front door.   All that was left except a few scraps of fur...  Coyote?

Not it's first one I am gathering either as it took the time to remove the scent gland.

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:07:39 PM EDT
[#1]
No clue but it was pretty damn hungry I'd say.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:08:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Not what I'd call entirely consumed. If it was entirely consumed, you wouldn't have all those bits left over.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:09:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Where are you?  I don't want to go there!  
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:10:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Eating a skunk has got to be an act of desperation or a heck of an acquired taste.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:10:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Owls eat skunks.  They can't smell them.

I think this applies to the great horned owl, not sure about other owls.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:11:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not what I'd call entirely consumed. If it was entirely consumed, you wouldn't have all those bits left over.
View Quote

True.  But that was ALL that was left!  Hardly any fur even.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:11:40 PM EDT
[#7]
There are a lot of critters that will do that.

One common one is a bobcat.

Skunks did not evolve olfactory defenses because nothing was trying to kill and eat them, trust me.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:12:01 PM EDT
[#8]
We have some Karen tribesman from bum-fucked jungle-ass Thailand and Burma  here that the Christians brought to Arizona in the hopes of mitigating our shortage of stone-age Asian tribal people.

When they aren't high on meth and stealing cars, they will kill and eat anything that crawls, walks, runs, flies or swims.

I bet you got Karens in the area.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:12:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Skunk ape ate it
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:12:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Skunks did not evolve olfactory defenses because nothing was trying to kill and eat them, trust me.
View Quote

We have bobcats in the surrounding countryside but never heard of one in town.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:13:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Yote
Bobcat

Fox

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:14:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We have some Karen tribesman from bum-fucked jungle-ass Thailand and Burma  here that the Christians brought to Arizona in the hopes of mitigating our shortage of stone-age Asian tribal people.

When they aren't high on meth and stealing cars, they will kill and eat anything that crawls, walks, runs, flies or swims.

View Quote

They would have to be stone-age to eat it on the sidewalk in front of my neighbor's house!
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:16:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Umm hmmm.

Yeah.

About that?

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:17:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Had a Timber Wolf  hybrid that would get loose, hunt and eat a Skunk, and wander back so we could enjoy the smell.

He received two rabies vacs a year.

He also caught botulism once.

He was a great dog otherwise, especially on an acreage. Coyotes stayed clear.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:17:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I agree about the great horned owls.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:18:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hungry enough to eat the asshole out of a dead skunk
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:18:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Cousin Eddie
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:19:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Hillary?
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:20:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Had an Akita that did that to a skunk in no time.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:20:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Skunkape

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:22:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Could be.  Whatever killed it did so before it could spray since there was no skunk smell in the area.  Just a whiff from that neatly removed scent gland.  It must have died instantly.  Do owls kill like eagles, with talons through the skull?
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:22:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Coyotes will do it.

I saw a coyote one night as I was leaving my deer blind. It was pretty dark so I tried to walk up behind him. Got to within 30 yards or so and shouldered my rifle to take a shot. Well, right before I fired I realized he wasn't interested in me because he was stalking a skunk, who's buddy was about 4 feet in front of me trying to get away in the opposite direction.

I can't express how glad I am that I caught that right BEFORE I shot, rather than AFTER.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:23:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for getting it.  

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:35:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I vote a winged critter.

Watched a hawk ( just slightly smaller than a B52, thing was huge) swoop down and grab a varmint about the size of a small dog a couple days ago in the neighbors back yard.

It had trouble taking off with it and the poor creature had this helpless look like........oh well.

Circle of life can be a bitch.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:37:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hillary?
View Quote

Where's Rosie OD or Michael Moore
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:39:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Remains about 50 feet from suburban home.  When I say 50 feet that is from my house.  The leftovers were about 10 feet from a front door.   All that was left except a few scraps of fur...  Coyote?

http://i.imgur.com/naFo4vF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/nzzBTjr.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jisQoV6.jpg

Not it's first one I am gathering either as it took the time to remove the scent gland.

http://i.imgur.com/TNuLDn0.jpg

View Quote

7 days without any food and you would eat a skunk with a smile on your face.

Starvation is a bitch.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:41:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

That looks like the work of a cat now that you mention it. Leaving random, neatly severed parts scattered around.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:46:47 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Could be.  Whatever killed it did so before it could spray since there was no skunk smell in the area.  Just a whiff from that neatly removed scent gland.  It must have died instantly.  Do owls kill like eagles, with talons through the skull?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Owls swoop silently at night.  They are quite large with huge talons.  Exactly how they use those talons, I don't know.

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:49:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Me.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:55:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Great horned owl will make a skunk go into a full gallop but I can't see one shearing off the feet and dismembering one like that. An eagle has the ability to shear limbs. Mountain lions and bobcats are also supposed to prey on them but they usually just hollow the belly out like a cantaloupe and leave them in one piece.  

Other than that a domestic dog is the only thing I know stupid enough to take on a skunk but they usually pay the price to kill it and leave it lay. I've never heard of a dog eating a skunk.  Most fox lures trappers use have tincture of skunk added as skunk spray attracts foxes so maybe a fox was the killer.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:57:14 PM EDT
[#31]
El Chupacabra
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 12:01:08 AM EDT
[#32]
IDK OP, IDK.....
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 12:01:55 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Great horned owl will make a skunk go into a full gallop but I can't see one shearing off the feet and dismembering one like that. An eagle has the ability to shear limbs. Mountain lions and bobcats are also supposed to prey on them but they usually just hollow the belly out like a cantaloupe and leave them in one piece.  

Other than that a domestic dog is the only thing I know stupid enough to take on a skunk but they usually pay the price to kill it and leave it lay. I've never heard of a dog eating a skunk.  Most fox lures trappers use have tincture of skunk added as skunk spray attracts foxed so maybe a fox was the killer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Other than that a domestic dog is the only thing I know stupid enough to take on a skunk but they usually pay the price to kill it and leave it lay. I've never heard of a dog eating a skunk.  Most fox lures trappers use have tincture of skunk added as skunk spray attracts foxed so maybe a fox was the killer.

Great Horned Owls decapitate and delimb prey which are too large to be eaten whole.

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 12:11:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Fischer
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 12:12:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Great horned owls eat the fuck out of skunks. Apparently they don't smell much
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 12:16:33 AM EDT
[#36]
FPNI

with a perfect avatar, i might add
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 12:17:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Sasquatch
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 12:22:36 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
They would have to be stone-age to eat it on the sidewalk in front of my neighbor's house!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That right there is some funny shit.

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 12:27:18 AM EDT
[#39]
It could have been the Rabbit of Caerbannog.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 12:28:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Did you see a pontoon in the area?  I heard there are evil people that will throw marshmallows to skunks waiting on other predators to come and kill them.

That's probably what this is.  Fuck people.  They are the cause of every dead animal.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 2:17:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Now this is funny.  Been chatting with my GF about this who is Chinese (Hainese) but from Singapore. So civilized...  And she said, "Only I can this.  But do you have any new Chinese Neighbors?"

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 2:24:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've uttered that phrase several times over the years.  After seeing those pics, I'm quite sure I was really never that hungry.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 7:21:29 AM EDT
[#43]
A lawyer probably.

Better set some traps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top