Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2015 3:02:22 PM EDT
I'm looking at this harness by OneTigris and it has great reviews.  I want a harness instead of attaching a leash to his collar and it would be nice if the dag could haul his own water bottle and snacks on long treks plus the dual handles would make it easy to lift him if needed.  Also, he would look tactical as fuck which is very important.

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 3:37:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought one for my lab from either Cabelas or REI (can't remember).  It has pockets on it to carry food, water, bowls, and toys.  I doubt it was much money or I would have told my wife no (Im against anything that looks like dog clothing).

With the one you have shown, you are going to end up spending a lot more on molle pockets
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:03:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I bought one for my lab from either Cabelas or REI (can't remember).  It has pockets on it to carry food, water, bowls, and toys.  I doubt it was much money or I would have told my wife no (Im against anything that looks like dog clothing).

With the one you have shown, you are going to end up spending a lot more on molle pockets
View Quote

A couple of pouches won't be too costly and I like the idea of removing the pouches to use it as a plain harness if I want.

I've seen the ones like you're talking about with pouches built in but they don't seem quite as well made as the ubertactical ones.

How does your lab do wearing it with stuff in the pockets?
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:11:55 PM EDT
[#3]
When it comes to dog gear, Ruffwear is probably at the top of the list in terms of quality and ruggedness.

http://www.ruffwear.com/dog_packs
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:12:59 PM EDT
[#4]
dubble tap
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I sort of want one of these for my minidag.

Tactical Chihuahua FTW!!!
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:26:12 PM EDT
[#6]
In my experience it's not very comfortable. It's not big enough and the material really abrades skin when wet. It does have convenient hand holds and you can attach tactical condom pouches, handcuffs, or other other things which is convenient. Its machine washable also. I'd wear again.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:28:01 PM EDT
[#7]
It looks like a clone of my Ray Allen LLC. I'm not sure how durable or comfortable it is.

Fwiw the LLC is awesome. My Mal wears it consistently for full days.

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like it might make the dog in question hot.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:36:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I also have the flotation panels for boating and packs when we hike. I think it was $80 when I got it. The extras are a little more. I've used it during the summer with no overheating issues. From the picture you posted that one doesn't look very breathable.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:41:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I just need to sew some cupholders into this thing.  It's made to protect her from slashing/stabbing hog tusks.  Impenetrable, but hot.  

I know from experience it gives something to grab hold of while breaking up dog fights and tossing the dog into a pickup.  

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:44:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

my g/f got the same 1 for her lab YEARS ago.  she always throws it on him when we go camping and it still is holding up fine.  my dog hates the thing and tries to chew it off.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:46:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I like the mesh on the Ray Allen and the fact that it doesn't cover as much of the dog's body but it also costs twice as much.

The Amazon reviews mention that the OneTigris is breathable enough that the dog doesn't get too hot and mine has short wiry hair so I'm sure he'd be fine.  If the panels were made of mesh, that would be preferable though.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:47:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Tactical dog leash, really?  LOL.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:49:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

It wouldn't be any more ridiculous than this Tactical Poodle... Tactidoodle?

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:51:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Tactical dog leash, really?  LOL.
View Quote

No, tactical dog harness... this is a tactical dog leash that attaches to the tactical dog harness for your tactical dog walks to the tactical dog park:

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't know anything about dog harnesses, but OP should not cheap out and buy the one from LBT.

http://lbtinc.com/featured/tack9h.html
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:59:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I don't know anything about dog harnesses, but OP should not cheap out and buy the one from LBT.

http://lbtinc.com/featured/tack9h.html

View Quote

$535?  Seems reasonable.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:01:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Room for beer?
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:07:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:19:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Tips I got from a LAPD instructor/handler at Shot.

You want the lift area to be around the midsection and sternum not the neck.  The heavier the dog, the more surface area you'll want to cover around the sternum.

He also recommended cooling towels that will slip between the mesh and the nylon material.

Something closer to the LBT harness is best, however it really depends on the dogs mission. If this for a working dog? SAR, attack, PCS, etc

Unfortunately he said that most of the market has poor designs.  Also if it's a non-working dog, you don't need a fancy harness.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:22:22 PM EDT
[#21]
MOLLE 'Service Dog' panel in OD with IR tabs FTW!

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:30:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Retarded...use a leather collar and carry your dogs water....waste of money man....good way to over heat your dog if you don't train with it (short walks/light load) do your dog a favor, very rarely used down range, I was issued one and only used it while doing IED road sweeps
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:34:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

If you're going to be lifting the K9 into windows, vehicles, aircraft etc etc you'll need a different harness.

Something closer to the LBT harness is best, however it really depends on the dogs mission. Is this for a working dog? What type SAR, attack, PCS, etc?

Tips I got from a LAPD instructor/handler at Shot.

You want the lift area to be around the midsection and sternum not the neck.  The heavier the dog, the more surface area you'll want to cover around the sternum.

He also recommended cooling towels that will slip between the mesh and the nylon material.

Unfortunately he said that most of the market has poor designs.
View Quote

His mission will consist of sniffing things, chasing a ball, and chewing on sticks.

He's a Scottie/German Wirehair mix and he's only 25 lbs so I'm not too worried about the harness doing any damage if I lift him.

The more I look at the Ray Allen harnesses, the more I like them.  I don't really need a shit load of surface area so one of their smaller modular harnesses might be the way to go.  I only need room for a nalgene pouch on one side and a GP pouch on the other.  I like the idea of setting it up with a sternum strap so i can use it in conjunction with a seat belt and carabiner for when he's in my truck.  All of the supposed car restraints for dogs are garbage but a quality harness with a sternum strap secured to a seatbelt would be better than anything else on the market.

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:50:57 PM EDT
[#24]
My mal has one that has ALOT less material over the back. The heat takes its toll on them alot quicker than us
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:29:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I keep telling my wife I'm gonna get one for my anatolian shepherd with a pouch for our 2 chihuahuas on each side
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 4:18:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

A couple of pouches won't be too costly and I like the idea of removing the pouches to use it as a plain harness if I want.

I've seen the ones like you're talking about with pouches built in but they don't seem quite as well made as the ubertactical ones.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He deals with it, wouldn't call it 'fun' for him but he's about as easy going as any dog ever.  He's content just as long as he's with his sister, even if he carries all her food and toys too.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 4:25:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It looks like a clone of my Ray Allen LLC. I'm not sure how durable or comfortable it is.

Fwiw the LLC is awesome. My Mal wears it consistently for full days.

http://youtu.be/5-fzUu_itL8
View Quote

Great harness.  Sucks that my 130 pound GSD out grew it and the extensions.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 4:31:40 AM EDT
[#28]
My folks got one of those for their dog. They take her on riverboat trips and now that she's getting a bit old she sometimes overestimates her jumping ability.... Makes it a hell of a lot easier to fish her out.

They've sewn on a strap between the two anchor points on top. Catch that with your hook-on-a-stick (shows you how much I know about boats) and lift.

She's not a heavy dog though so I can't really comment on how strong/tough it is.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 4:34:58 AM EDT
[#29]
One thing to also keep in mind is that the load has to be even on both sides. If you put a liter of water on one side to weight on th other side has to match. If he drinks water from the bottle you have to adjust to load accordingly. Otherwise the pack will shift and cause hot spots on one side.
I have a ruff wear pack for my dog (50lb German/Australian Shepard mix) and it seems to becthe only company that actually puts thought and testing into their gear. It's not about just coving their body in fabric. They make gear that works with how dogs move and jump and stuff.

Also with my dog he was a pain to walk on leash before the pack. Being a working breed mix I think the pack "gives him something to do" and it calms him right down and gives him a job. Or maybe he just hates it and is in protest. Lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top