BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2015 6:56:17 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:00:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Like a Jay Leno on the Tonight Show...he was rollin'
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:01:44 PM EDT
[#2]
My Grandfather was a no shit World traveller. He visited Communist Russia and the Middle East before the Soviets and Afghanistan went at it. I wish he was still alive so I could ask him what the region was like 50-60 years ago.

I have his WW2 Memorabilia and a photo album filled with currencies from across the globe...many of which belonged to Nations that don't exist anymore.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:10:19 PM EDT
[#3]
That's pretty interesting. My how that country has regressed.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:13:27 PM EDT
[#4]
and now look at that place.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:16:49 PM EDT
[#5]
In the 1960s that region was very "westernized", and once it began to change it was fast and it "radicalized"
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:16:52 PM EDT
[#6]
What an interesting video.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:25:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Are Egyptian women required to wear it today?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:29:12 PM EDT
[#8]
The Muslim brotherhood should wear hijabs!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:30:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
The Muslim brotherhood should wear burial shrouds.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:32:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Insha'Allah
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:42:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In the 1960s that region was very "westernized", and once it began to change it was fast and it "radicalized"
View Quote

islam is like that.  It forces fast, permanent change.  People mistake it for a religion, when religion is only a thin veneer of what islam is all about.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:59:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Maxim Grachev 1 hour ago
Ikr...fkin america set up uprisings and caused wars in these countries and now we in Europe have to deal with all the fucking refugees while the fat american fucks sit on their fucking peaceful island spectating the chaos over here.
View Quote

great comment from the video... LOL
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:08:35 AM EDT
[#13]
LOL.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:10:42 AM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:14:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Can anyone confirm this is an accurate translation?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:16:30 AM EDT
[#16]
A lot of siding with and making deals with the wrong side, following that video
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:21:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Don't worry !!! The muslim apologists will be along shortly to tell us all how wrong we are and that we just want to oppress the poor muslim peoples
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:23:19 AM EDT
[#18]
The Brotherhood has caused alot of problems
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:24:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Can anyone confirm this is an accurate translation?
View Quote

It's correct
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:28:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Only in the bigger cities among the well-to-do was it remotely westernized. The Egyptian elite had been adapting to English culture for over a hundred years. When Egypt gained its independence they kept many of the westernized customs and associated it with Arab nationalist ideology, which was popular for some, not for all. The everyday Arab Egyptians, the middle and lower classes, especially the rural communities that did all the farming, were the same backward ignorant Muslims they always were. The Nassar govt marginalized, ostracized, and/or imprisoned them when they talked back. Which is how organizations like the Muslim Brotherhood were able to recruit so many followers, Egyptians who probably would not have become militants did so because the Arab elite pushed them to it. They saw the new elite of Egypt creating progressive ideas that were absolutely shitting all over traditional Egyptian values, so they fought back.

Sound familiar? Limousine liberal elites trying to force progressive ideals on a country, ridiculing the conservative cultural ideals of their opponents?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:31:45 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Only in the bigger cities among the well-to-do was it remotely westernized. The Egyptian elite had been adapting to English culture for over a hundred years. When Egypt gained its independence they kept many of the westernized customs and associated it with Arab nationalist ideology, which was popular for some, not for all. The everyday Arab Egyptians, the middle and lower classes, especially the rural communities that did all the farming, were the same backward ignorant Muslims they always were. The Nassar govt marginalized, ostracized, and/or imprisoned them when they talked back. Which is how organizations like the Muslim Brotherhood were able to recruit so many followers, Egyptians who probably would not have become militants did so because the Arab elite pushed them to it. They saw the new elite of Egypt creating progressive ideas that were absolutely shitting all over traditional Egyptian values, so they fought back.

Sound familiar? Limousine liberal elites trying to force progressive ideals on a country, ridiculing the conservative cultural ideals of their opponents?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

But look where that got them. They are now even poorer and have not bettered themselves

one bit.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:32:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Democracy or a somewhat benevolent tyranny... take your pick!
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:36:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

But look where that got them. They are now even poorer and have not bettered themselves
one bit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

one bit.

I'm not excusing them. The poor farmers had their own share of extremely fucked up customs. Just trying to explain how it happened. Nassar and his bunch were pious when it suited them, radical progressives at other times. Lots of the Egyptians didn't like it, the MB in particular.

A gradual change of cultural ideas for a nation toward a goal is safer than just forcing change and ridiculing everyone who says its wrong. I could easily pick another charismatic leader who gives good speeches about how stupid the old ways are.

If you actually follow the customs of nearly all western civilizations and how they are going, guns and God are on the outs. So are we all backwards idiots who deserve ridicule by the educated progressive elites?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:47:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'm not excusing them. The poor farmers had their own share of extremely fucked up customs. Just trying to explain how it happened. Nassar and his bunch were pious when it suited them, radical progressives at other times. Lots of the Egyptians didn't like it, the MB in particular.

A gradual change of cultural ideas for a nation toward a goal is safer than just forcing change and ridiculing everyone who says its wrong. I could easily pick another charismatic leader who gives good speeches about how stupid the old ways are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZWaxjiQyFk

If you actually follow the customs of nearly all western civilizations and how they are going, guns and God are on the outs. So are we all backwards idiots who deserve ridicule by the educated progressive elites?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

one bit.

Outstanding.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:30:36 PM EDT
[#25]
I've seen pictures from Afghanistan in the 60 with young men and women in a library and other social settings. All were fashionably dressed in western clothing.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:36:14 PM EDT
[#26]
There is a picture somewhere of graduating women at the university in cairo in different years, and the closer we get to today, the more and more they were made to cover up.  
I will try to find it. I think it was originally posted by Nonie Darwish, but I could be mistaken.

EDIT: found it with 10 seconds of google

How the Veil Conquered Cairo

These photos represent the gradual but steady Islamic radicalization
invading the Middle  East and the rest of the world in the last three
decades. I lived in Egypt until the year 1978 and have never wore a head
cover, neither did my mother or grandmother. And this is thanks to a
feminist movement that started in Cairo in 1919 under the leadership of
the famous Egyptian feminist Hoda Shaarawi.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:39:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've seen pictures from Afghanistan in the 60 with young men and women in a library and other social settings. All were fashionably dressed in western clothing.
View Quote

That was a tiny subsection of the urban population, specifically from a few of the large cities, like Kabul. Afghanistan has always been a few cities attempting to control the countryside and failing. Like everywhere, the urban crowd are progressive, rural is conservative. Afghanistan as a whole is backwards as fuck, when the urban population attempts to instill power on them, civil wars break out. The reality is that the only way Afghanistan has ever worked is for the cities to rule themselves while the countryside does the same, with as little interaction with each other as possible.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:39:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

one bit.

i wouldn't call them progressives, because progressives are VERY authoritarian, like the muslim brotherhood. I guess if i had to label them, I would just call them more westernized, in the sense of appreciating some liberty.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:43:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

i wouldn't call them progressives, because progressives are VERY authoritarian, like the muslim brotherhood. I guess if i had to label them, I would just call them more westernized, in the sense of appreciating some liberty.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

one bit.

You do know that the nassar he's referring to was a dictator right? confused him with the other guy. Never mind.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:43:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:46:51 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
You do know that the nassar he's referring to was a dictator right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do know that the nassar he's referring to was a dictator right?

And in Islamic countries, a secular leaning dictator normally allows more liberty than the sharia or the muslim brotherhood would allow.  This is why i said "SOME liberty."

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:48:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:50:07 PM EDT
[#33]
1979 is the pivotal year: Iranian revolution,Grand Mosque seizure and Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. Those 3 events were enormous in creating today's problems.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:52:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Tell me if this doesn't sound familiar:

'For Nasser was a man of the Egyptian soil who had overthrown the Middle East's most established and sophisticated monarchy in a swift and bloodless move—to the acclaim of millions of poor, oppressed Egyptians—and ushered in a programme of 'social justice', 'progress and development', and 'dignity''
Osman, Tarek (2011), Egypt on the Brink: From Nasser to Mubarak, New Haven: Yale University Press, ISBN 978-0-300-16275-2

I've heard these words before, social justice, progress and development, and dignity have been repeated quite often and recently by a very specific party here in the US trying to push progressive ideals (social reform or new, liberal ideas) to "fundamentally transform" a nation's culture.

Read about General Nassar's regime, he took power by launching a military coup to oust the King of Egypt. He was the very definition of an authoritative leader.

So he was pushing social reform or new, liberal ideas and doing so by authoritative means. IE. He was a progressive. But then again, most Arab Nationalist and Ba'athist were as well. Sprinkling in socialism, dictatorship, a bit of old fashioned Islam, and nationalism/Arab-centric politics.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:58:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yes, but the Saudi's and their brand of ultra-conservative Wahhabi Sunni Islam did that job on the more populous and geographically larger Sunni regions of the ME when they got rich from oil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1979 is the pivotal year: Iranian revolution,Grand Mosque seizure and Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. Those 3 events were enormous in creating today's problems.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Yes, but the Saudi's and their brand of ultra-conservative Wahhabi Sunni Islam did that job on the more populous and geographically larger Sunni regions of the ME when they got rich from oil.

It was a reaction to the radicals that the way to keep them from opposing the House of Saud was to give more and more conservative religion. The U.S. was fine with that at a time when Brezezinksi was in Pakistan telling the mujahideen that theirs indeed was a holy war.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:29:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
There is a picture somewhere of graduating women at the university in cairo in different years, and the closer we get to today, the more and more they were made to cover up.  

I will try to find it. I think it was originally posted by Nonie Darwish, but I could be mistaken.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

These photos represent the gradual but steady Islamic radicalization invading the Middle  East and the rest of the world in the last three decades. I lived in Egypt until the year 1978 and have never wore a head cover, neither did my mother or grandmother. And this is thanks to a feminist movement that started in Cairo in 1919 under the leadership of the famous Egyptian feminist Hoda Shaarawi.

from the article with those pictures talking about why Hoda Shaarawi was able to take off her head gear in public and live... pretty enlightening..

FP: What were the circumstances at that time that allowed Hoda Shaarawi to engage in this act of freedom of conscience?

Darwish: The reason she was not killed then but actually protected, and was able to start a reform movement in Egypt, was due to many reasons. First and most important was the existence of the British in the area. They helped protected the peace, minorities and equal rights. Second, the Egyptian king was moderate and wanted to bring modernity to Egypt.  Third, this was the pre-petrodollar era of wealth in Saudi Arabia which was still weak and poor. Fourth, the Muslim Brotherhood was not yet in existence.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:37:52 PM EDT
[#38]
I've always said I'd love to go back to Afghanistan to visit once shit calms down over there. It really is a beautiful country, the people are quite hospitable and the food is amazing. I fell in love with Kabuli Palau when I was last there.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:40:00 PM EDT
[#39]
So...Nasser is a good guy now? The fuck?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:42:15 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

These photos represent the gradual but steady Islamic radicalization invading the Middle  East and the rest of the world in the last three decades. I lived in Egypt until the year 1978 and have never wore a head cover, neither did my mother or grandmother. And this is thanks to a feminist movement that started in Cairo in 1919 under the leadership of the famous Egyptian feminist Hoda Shaarawi.

Just a good lesson to the west on how radical Islam is about submission.    

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:01:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most Muslim countries had no oppressive rules toward women up till the early 1980's.

It's a completely new phenomenon for women to wear Burka's, the last time they did was hundreds of years ago.

Cairo 1978.

Cairo 2005

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:06:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Most Muslim countries had no oppressive rules toward women up till the early 1980's.

It's a completely new phenomenon for women to wear Burka's, the last time they did was hundreds of years ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The urban elite of occupied Arab nations often adopted the practices of western cultures to one degree or another, this started in the early 1800s when the English took Egypt from the French, who had taken it from the Ottomans. After WWI, when the French and English got into the Middle East, more western cultural practices were adopted, but almost solely by the urban elite. The average Arab was not a rich city dweller, their cultures never really changed at all. Go outside cities to the rural farming areas, doesn't matter if its outside Baghdad, Damascus, or Cairo, the people are nearly unchanged culturally minus a few technological conveniences like cars, electrical, air conditioning. Its the same in Afghanistan, India, Pakistan, and other places.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has been described as the pendulum swinging (region shifting over time between more a secular society and conservative religious), only problem is - right now they are at the opposing side from the rest of the world. And when the world is flat, they have taken personal issue with our location in the swing.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:06:31 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
It has been described as the pendulum swinging (region shifting over time between more a secular society and conservative religious), only problem is - right now they are at the opposing side from the rest of the world. And when the world is flat, they have taken personal issue with our location in the swing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

uhm not hundreds. mostly early 20th century when the caliphate fell after ww1.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top