Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 8:09:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Idk, if that's how I would of handled it.

Add this as another tick in the box for some type of light under clothing armour.
View Quote

I doubt armor would have saved anything, but you're free to find out how bad it sucks to wear armor every time you go in public.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 8:20:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I doubt armor would have saved anything, but you're free to find out how bad it sucks to wear armor every time you go in public.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Idk, if that's how I would of handled it.

Add this as another tick in the box for some type of light under clothing armour.

Especially in the summer!
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 8:40:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I would want to live to fight another day. The soundest tactic at that point is compliance. Someone sitting in your backseat with a gun on you? You've already lost.

I would have just given him the money in that situation. Sounds like the dad was one of those I-would-rather-die-than-be-a-victim types. Well, he got his wish. Pulling a gun on someone who already has a gun on you will rarely turn out differently than this story did is my belief. It was truly a no-win situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Should have just given them the money. Dude just opened the car door and got in? Major situational awareness fail on their part. At that point, he's already got the drop on you.

I agree about the door being unlocked. Or maybe the weather was nice and the windows were down.

But no on just giving him "everything you have". That leads to another crime scene.

I would want to live to fight another day. The soundest tactic at that point is compliance. Someone sitting in your backseat with a gun on you? You've already lost.

I would have just given him the money in that situation. Sounds like the dad was one of those I-would-rather-die-than-be-a-victim types. Well, he got his wish. Pulling a gun on someone who already has a gun on you will rarely turn out differently than this story did is my belief. It was truly a no-win situation.

Wrong. He won. His family is alive, scumbag is dead.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 8:49:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Should have just given them the money. Dude just opened the car door and got in? Major situational awareness fail on their part. At that point, he's already got the drop on you.

I agree about the door being unlocked. Or maybe the weather was nice and the windows were down.

But no on just giving him "everything you have". That leads to another crime scene.

Hope he had a damn good life insurance policy.

Personally, I'd be worried about who is going to provide for my wife/kid, once I'm gone.

Maybe it makes me a "pussy", but if I think the wallet will make him go away, he can have the damn thing. As others have said, that's a tough situation to shoot your way out of. A LOT of my reaction is going to depend on my initial "read" off the guy. It's also going to depend on if I think I can gain the advantage. Maybe his "read" was money wasn't going to make him go away. We'll never know.

And no, no one is going anywhere with him. If it comes to that, I'll take my chances shooting it out with him.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 8:49:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Hopefully that kid can recover
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 8:52:08 AM EDT
[#6]
6) Attacking or insulting a person in an effort to elicit a negative response. You have a right to disagree, but please do so in a respectful manner.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 9:09:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Well great analysis dipshit. Guess if I ever rob someone it will be you. Since you will just give it up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well great analysis dipshit. Guess if I ever rob someone it will be you. Since you will just give it up.

And if I ever need to rob someone and you are around I'll just execute you from 800 yards with my 300 weatherby and take your money since I know you'll fight me over $20..... JK completely obviously... Just pointing out how your Monday morning quarterbacking doesn't always make sense.  No need to be so hard on people.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 9:15:14 AM EDT
[#8]
A
Quoted:
Most of the time, the guy robbing does NOT want to kill you; otherwise he would have done it already. In that situation, give all of the material things that you have, because it is NOT worth your life. Also, do people not believe in locking their doors, especially when there is special cargo (daughter) on board?

This is where the father failed:
A. Not locking the doors
B. Poor situational awareness
C. Not complying with demands

This is where the father passed:
A. Not having another's will imposed on him
B. Protecting his family
C. Taking one more piece of shit fuck stain off the street

I firmly believe that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. This is a prime example of being unprepared and prepared at the same time. The father did what he thought was right, paid for it with his life, but was able to protect his daughter and wife.
View Quote

I am not in the habit of trusting that the intentions of a man who just pulled a gun on me are just to rob me.

I don't trust the man at all. You seem to put a lot of faith in the idea that he won't kill you, even if his actions indicate otherwise.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 9:36:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That area is fast becoming the armpit of Houston.
View Quote

Becoming? The closest mall (Greenspoint) has been known as Gunspoint for years.

Good on the dad for fighting back. Did us all a favor.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 10:46:06 AM EDT
[#10]
protected his family. I could only hope to die such a honorable death.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 11:03:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
As a dad, if that's the way I have to go out, I'll die a proud man.
View Quote

This right here.

Don't want to leave a widow, or a daughter without a daddy growing up, but sometimes life deals us shitty cards that we have to play. This guy is a hero and goodified some shit bag that won't be preying on anyone else again.

John 15:13 comes to mind instantly.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 11:24:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I hope the husband at least exhausted all other options and had to actually engage in a gun fight to protect his wife and child.  If so, he did what he had to do and good on him.  If not, he put his family in danger and risked their lives.

I would have given him what he wanted and hoped he left.  Material shit doesn't matter when your family is at risk.

ETA: did he actually protect his family or put them at risk?  Who knows at this point?

Link Posted: 9/14/2015 11:28:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I hope the husband at least exhausted all other options and had to actually engage in a gun fight to protect his wife and child.  If so, he did what he had to do and good on him.  If not, he put his family in danger and risked their lives.

I would have given him what he wanted and hoped he left.  Material shit doesn't matter when your family is at risk.

ETA: did he actually protect his family or put them at risk?  Who knows at this point?

View Quote

The only person who put his family at risk was the scumbag

And I bet it's not his first rodeo so the criminal justice system that didn't give him long enough last time.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 11:29:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Tough situation. Yes, the bad guy ended up dead and the wife & child are alive. But they could have easily been killed as well. Kind of miraculous they weren't shot.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 11:29:46 AM EDT
[#15]
If you ever trust the intentions of a person who has just pulled a gun on you, you are a naive, stupid fool. That's Brady campaign bullshit if I have ever heard it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 11:31:07 AM EDT
[#16]
He died well.

IF you have to go out, there is no more honorable way than he did
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 11:32:11 AM EDT
[#17]
It's near Greenspoint Mall, AKA Gunpoint Mall.

It's been a shit hole in / near those parts as long as I can remember.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

If you ever trust the intentions of a person who has just pulled a gun on you, you are a naive, stupid fool. That's Brady campaign bullshit if I have ever heard it.
View Quote

Bingo!

Link Posted: 9/14/2015 11:39:30 AM EDT
[#19]
For those who think the dad made the right call - I'm cool with that, and hope you do the same in the same situation, as it's one less POS on the street.  And I get it, you just don't know where it's going to go.  That said,  if he just gave him the money, usual odds are his daughter would probably still have a dad.      Situational for sure: if he had reason to think this was more than a cash and run event, you do what you have to do.

But man, a club and the upper hand beats a machine-gun and surprised - pretty much every time.  Robber had the upper hand - I'm impressed dad was able to have a co-loser in that gun-fight.

Concealed carry gives me only a very partial sense of improved security.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 11:40:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

the Mfer who got in their car with a gun put every one at risk. the husband found him self in a gun fight and came out victorious. Who knows if him or his family would have been alive had he chose to do nothing.

had it been my unoccupied vehicle or home i would have agreed. Come into my home or car, armed, while my women are in it and its a gun fight 10 out of 10 times no hesitation.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 11:49:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you get the drop on me the way the guy in this story did, you're welcome to it because you earned it. I'm not going for my gun when you already have yours on me. The time to act was when I observed you approaching me before you got too close.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Am I the only one wondering about the car door not being locked?

The dad did an excellent job protecting is family, but lock your doors!

If the door had been locked and that prevented the dead BG from getting in the car, the dad might still be alive.
View Quote

Dad's a hero, but yeah I had the same thought.   Astounding the number of people who don;t lock doors.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 12:05:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They were in a shopping center going to eat.  Car looks like it was parked in a spot (from the news video on the scene) so the doors may have opened when the car stopped. (some makes of auto will automatically unlock all the doors when put into park or the engine is turned off).  Lady in the video looks middle class Anglo (so not the typical drug thug).  I'd say they were in the wrong place at the wrong time just trying to get something to eat.

I am very sad that a good man died protecting his wife and daughter from a P.O.S. robber.  May that criminal scum burn forever in Hell...  

Regarding "Give me everything."   You can always toss the wallet out the car if that is all the bad guy really wants, but If Bad Guy wants you to drive to someplace secluded, a much worse scene may await for his wife and daughter.   Dad was in a no win situation, but put his life on the line to do all he could to fight to keep his wife and child safe.

Kudos to Dad for giving his all to protect his family and may he have the satisfaction of knowing from heaven that he sent that robbing shitbird to Hell.

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

Agreed.  Sometimes, when the deck is stacked against you, the best you can do is sacrifice yourself in an effort to save your loved ones.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 12:08:47 PM EDT
[#24]
As someone else has stated.  Some cars automatically unlock the moment you put the car into park.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 12:10:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

the Mfer who got in their car with a gun put every one at risk. the husband found him self in a gun fight and came out victorious. Who knows if him or his family would have been alive had he chose to do nothing.

had it been my unoccupied vehicle or home i would have agreed. Come into my home or car, armed, while my women are in it and its a gun fight 10 out of 10 times no hesitation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sigh. What is it lately?  Must be me. I'm having a hard time understanding the thought process of some here in GD.

"the husband found him self in a gun fight and came out victorious."  

Did he?  Did he find himself in a gun fight or did he initiate one?  Did he come out victorious? Hell no.

Did he put his family at great risk because he did not want to give up his wallet and his wife's purse ?  Or, did the BG just start shooting giving him zero options?   Who knows at this point?

If …… IF……. the husband went directly to guns, he is a fool. If….. IF…… that is the case the situation could have ended worse than it did.  His child could have been killed and he could have had to live with that.

Anytime you walk away, you win. The name of the game is survival not going down bravely or heroically in a hail of bullets when your family is within feet of you…….unless you have no other options.

There are times when you can and should go to guns immediately and then there are times when you shouldn't.

Link Posted: 9/14/2015 12:11:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
As someone else has stated.  Some cars automatically unlock the moment you put the car into park.
View Quote

Paranoia dictates you are aware of your surroundings before putting the car in park. To live an "well adjusted" life, sometimes you get a shit hand.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 12:42:45 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't really know how I feel about this. I'm definitely not trying to criticize how he handled business because I wasn't there and I don't like to armchair shit like this, but there are a few things I'm not sure about.

First, I live in Houston and have my doors locked if I am driving around ANYWHERE in this shithole. Second, I don't feel like it's a good idea to draw on someone who already has the drop on you and their attention focused squarely on you. I know that oftentimes robbers kill their victims even after cooperation, but even more often they don't. It seems like feigning cooperation to distract the shitbag long enough to grab his weapon and draw your own or just divert his attention long enough to make a hole in his face without getting shot would have been a better tactic.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 12:49:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Two words you seem to have missed: "wife" and "child."
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 12:54:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Sigh. What is it lately?  Must be me. I'm having a hard time understanding the thought process of some here in GD.

Did he?  Did he find himself in a gun fight or did he initiate one?  Did he come out victorious? Hell no.

Did he put his family at great risk because he did not want to give up his wallet and his wife's purse ?  Or, did the BG just start shooting giving him zero options?   Who knows at this point?

If …… IF……. the husband went directly to guns, he is a fool. If….. IF…… that is the case the situation could have ended worse than it did.  His child could have been killed and he could have had to live with that.

Anytime you walk away, you win. The name of the game is survival not going down bravely or heroically in a hail of bullets when your family is within feet of you…….unless you have no other options.

There are times when you can and should go to guns immediately and then there are times when you shouldn't.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every armed robber is a murderer. It's only a matter of when. Robbers cannot be relied upon to be satisfied with their loot. They often kill after looting. Robbers should be met with deadly force whenever it is possible to do so.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 1:06:44 PM EDT
[#30]
The family

Link Posted: 9/14/2015 4:26:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Every armed robber is a murderer. It's only a matter of when. Robbers cannot be relied upon to be satisfied with their loot. They often kill after looting. Robbers should be met with deadly force whenever it is possible to do so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but preferably not at the expense of your own life. If I had to choose between me and a robber both dying or me and a robber both living I'd choose the latter. I don't feel like my life is worth trading for that of some scumbag. I would kill his ass in a heartbeat as soon as he turned his back or got distracted, but I wouldn't try to draw on some motherfucker who already had a gun in my face unless I was CERTAIN that I was going to die whether I drew my weapon or not. It's a shitty situation and it IS a gamble, I know, but I really think waiting for an opportunity to present a weapon would have been a better choice.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 4:29:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yeah, but preferably not at the expense of your own life. If I had to choose between me and a robber both dying or me and a robber both living I'd choose the latter. I don't feel like my life is worth trading for that of some scumbag. I would kill his ass in a heartbeat as soon as he turned his back or got distracted, but I wouldn't try to draw on some motherfucker who already had a gun in my face unless I was CERTAIN that I was going to die whether I drew my weapon or not. It's a shitty situation and it IS a gamble, I know, but I really think waiting for an opportunity to present a weapon would have been a better choice.
View Quote

I see your point, but as I read the article the BG had a gun on the man's wife. I honestly don't know whether I'd be able to think clearly enough to do what I said OR what you said in that situation.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 4:35:36 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So when the bad guy checked everyones pockets, making sure he has everything (including dads gun) and said "drive us out of here". Then after having watched the rape of his daughter and wife, in an abandoned building he made them drive to, he would be a winner IF they were unlikely allowed to live after that? Apparently he decided to carry a gun so he wouldn`t have to experience  being what you call a winner.

As a side note, to all who are talking about locked doors. They may have been getting in or out of the vehicle. They were in a parking lot, does everyone here wait until there are no ppl walking around within 20 yrds of your car before getting into/out of their vehicle in a parking lot? What the longest you`ve had to sit in your car until the parking lot was empty?

Link Posted: 9/14/2015 4:38:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thank you. Am I on a gun site or what?

Just give the guy what he wants and I'm sure he'll leave you alone. Oh ok
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 4:38:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Not that I'm expecting being in a situation like that, but I do carry some basic trauma stuff in my truck. Sucking chest wounds are easier to manage that way.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 4:43:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I see your point, but as I read the article the BG had a gun on the man's wife. I honestly don't know whether I'd be able to think clearly enough to do what I said OR what you said in that situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a shitty deal all the way around. I've had a gun pulled on me while in a parking lot in Killeen, TX. Surprisingly my mind stayed clear throughout the whole ordeal. It was only after the situation had been "reversed" that I got an adrenaline rush so huge I didn't know if my wobbly legs were going to hold me up much longer. Maybe it would be different if it were a loved one, but I would like to think that I would have done something like handed my wallet or ring over and acted as passive as possible until I got a chance to smoke check that shitbag without me or my family getting shot.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 4:48:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Rule 1. Never go to the secondary crime scene. Ever. If all they want is money etc...they can get it right where you are.

Rule 2. Don't start a damn gunfight in the middle of your family when someone has the drop on you over the $20 in your wallet.

Rule 1 trumps rule 2 of course, that's why it's Rule 1...... But... if the wallet gets the guy out of the car without exchange of gunfire, you won.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 5:14:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If you get the drop on me the way the guy in this story did, you're welcome to it because you earned it. I'm not going for my gun when you already have yours on me. The time to act was when I observed you approaching me before you got too close.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe.. maybe not.. If i see an opportunity to pull and get a round off I am going to pull and get that round off. noone is suggesting announcing you are going to pull and get executed but we are suggesting to attempt to fight back when the opportunity presents it self.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 5:17:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

If thats what it takes to make sure my baby girl grows old then so be it. I would give my life come back and give it again if necessary.  My life is nothing compared to hers. Would i prefer to live? Hell yea!!!! but if it was this guy might be happy with my wallet or he may be happy raping my wife and daughter in front of me before he murders us.. I am not rolling the dice he is just a nice guy.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 5:19:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Rule 1. Never go to the secondary crime scene. Ever. If all they want is money etc...they can get it right where you are.

Rule 2. Don't start a damn gunfight in the middle of your family when someone has the drop on you over the $20 in your wallet.

Rule 1 trumps rule 2 of course, that's why it's Rule 1...... But... if the wallet gets the guy out of the car without exchange of gunfire, you won.
View Quote

Noone is getting into a gun fight over 20 dollars. Besides, who carries cash any more?  You get into a gun fight because some asshole pulled a gun on your family and God knows how far he is willing to go.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Noone is getting into a gun fight over 20 dollars. Besides, who carries cash any more?  You get into a gun fight because some asshole pulled a gun on your family and God knows how far he is willing to go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh yes they would, that is the part of Houston that picked up a lot of the Katrina specials from New Orleans. Its bad and they dont give a shit about daylight or not....

Link Posted: 9/14/2015 5:29:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Rough to play Monday morning quarterback.  I hope I am never in a situation like that...  The guy died protecting his family and we don't have all the facts, but getting into a gunfight in a car with the wife and kid is the absolute last thing I would want to do. You can replace material things. You can have my watch, but if you are planning on taking us somewhere, then I guess you gotta play out that shitty hand.

Sometimes you get dealt a shitty hand, sometimes you can make a bad situation worse by the decisions we make.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Tough situation. Yes, the bad guy ended up dead and the wife & child are alive. But they could have easily been killed as well. Kind of miraculous they weren't shot.
View Quote

Yeah, getting into a gunfight inside of a car with your wife and kid sitting there doesn't sound like such a prudent idea.  The bad guy was able to make it out of the car and across the parking lot before collapsing and dying, so only by the grace of God did he not decide to wax the wife and kid out of spite.

If you're going to go to the trouble of exchanging gunfire inside a car, with your family there, make sure you finish the guy off instantly.

Shit, look at how many shots the cops fire in a typical gunfight.

Good guy is dead, so he kind of loses.

It's all about probabilities.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 5:36:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
protected his family. I could only hope to die such a honorable death.
View Quote

He never has to worry about dying slowly of cancer or saying I did nothing while my child watched Mommy get raped...or worse. There are so many worse ways to die.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is a stupid feature.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 5:39:55 PM EDT
[#46]
My first thought is a drug deal gone bad.  However, the possibility exists the robber  just THOUGHT it was a drug deal he was busting into. Time of day really isn't a clue, (5:30 pm) just as likely at 9am or midnight.

If you take a look at the ch 13 video you will see the stores all have bars and metal plates over the windows.  That's a clue as to what the neighborhood is like.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 5:42:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But it's convenient. Apply the Fight Club recall formula to this incident and decide if it's ok.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 5:44:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Godspeed, Sir.

You protected your family valiantly, and without regard for your own life. May your memory live on with the honor it deserves.
View Quote

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 5:45:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
As a dad, if that's the way I have to go out, I'll die a proud man.
View Quote

My only caveat is that I'd prefer to die ripping his heart from his chest.

Shooting would suffice.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 5:54:35 PM EDT
[#50]

Straight up Alpha. Went out like a man to protect precious cargo.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top