Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/15/2015 11:31:56 AM EDT
My 8 year old has recently become interested in the Star Wars saga... I haven't watched them in a long, long time.  In fact I really don't remember the originals too well at all.

Netflix has a free 30 day trial of ship to home DVD's so I've signed up for that... but what is the best order to watch for someone who has never seen any of the movies and WHY?  Internet opinions on the subject vary. THANKS!
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:34:16 AM EDT
[#1]
The way God intended IV, V, VI. Without the additional footage. Then have him watch the next three so he can maybe understand what we lost.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:34:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:35:01 AM EDT
[#3]
4-6 then 1-3

Thats the order they were made

Btw darth vader is luke skywalkers father
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:35:18 AM EDT
[#4]
IV, V, VI

Are there additional chapters I'm not aware of?
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:35:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Interesting. I can see their point.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:35:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My 8 year old has recently become interested in the Star Wars saga... I haven't watched them in a long, long time.  In fact I really don't remember the originals too well at all.

Netflix has a free 30 day trial of ship to home DVD's so I've signed up for that... but what is the best order to watch for someone who has never seen any of the movies and WHY?  Internet opinions on the subject vary. THANKS!
View Quote

Just watch episode 4, 5, and 6.  NOT the special editions.  No need to watch the other films.  They are basically just bad fan films anyway.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:36:33 AM EDT
[#7]
for an 8 year old, IV/V/VI.  done

for older viewers, Machete order
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:37:27 AM EDT
[#8]
If you have to include the prequels, I vote Machete order.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:40:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
4-6 then 1-3

Thats the order they were made

View Quote

HAHAHA you don't say?

Seriously though.... why not 1-3 first?  What else would be lost other than this surprise that you mention?
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:40:37 AM EDT
[#10]
IV, V, VI.

If he likes those, then let him watch I and II.   Then let him watch The Clone Wars movie/series (which finally allows Anakin to be the bad ass hero you expected him to be).  

I haven't had the heart to let my daughter see III.  The transformation of Anakin into Vader is so pathetic that it is better left to the imagination.  It is almost unbelievable how lame they made Anakin out to be in that movie (all the live action movies really).
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:41:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
IV, V, VI

View Quote

What's up with the numbers?
Do you mean STAR WARS, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi ?
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:44:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The machete order improves the storytelling quite a bit. It makes it seem like the characters in II and III have personalities and you might even care about what happens to them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:47:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Your son is 8. He isn't going to be watching these and thinking about the metaphysical, societal, blah blah blah shit that underlies the movies. He is going to see lightsabers, star ships, and space battle sequences and think it is all cool. So, if you want him to know the backstory watch it sequentially (episodes 1-3 then 4-6). But if you don't want the surprise of Empire ruined then watch 4-6 and tell him you are going to then watch the Anakin/Vader backstories (i.e. prequels) and watch 1-3.    
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:48:03 AM EDT
[#14]
I showed them to my girls (ages 5 & 3, almost 6 & 4) in order 4-5-1-2-3-6 over a couple weeks.

I thought they might appreciate 1 with the cartoonish nature of it...

A day or so after finishing Episode 1, my 3 year old asked, "Daddy, can we watch more Star Wars?  But I want to watch a real one, not one when Darth Vader is a kid."

What can I say, the "On Demand" generation knows good movies when they see 'em!
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:50:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The machete order improves the storytelling quite a bit. It makes it seem like the characters in II and III have personalities and you might even care about what happens to them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

True, but an 8 yr old will probably be confused by it because those movies aren't intended to be watched in that order and lack the transitions and such necessary to flow if watched in that order.

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:51:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Absolutely  DO NOT watch it machete order. It atempts to make a shit sandwich  taste not as bad. But guess fucking what? It's still a shit sandwich. 2 and 3 are garbage, with no redeeming value what so ever. They actually take away quite alot from the originals by even being presented on the same stage.

Only watch 4, 5, 6.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:56:21 AM EDT
[#17]
See what I mean about the differing opinions?  All over the map.... I already have episode 1 on the way... I figured we would just watch in order from the start.  One thing I am worried about though is the drastically different style and effects of the later movies if we start at 1.... 8 year olds only know pretty fancy special effects....  

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

See what I mean about the differing opinions?  All over the map.... I already have episode 1 on the way... I figured we would just watch in order from the start.  One thing I am worried about though is the drastically different style and effects of the later movies if we start at 1.... 8 year olds only know pretty fancy special effects....  

View Quote

starting with episode 1 is probably the worst way to do it.  it totally messes up the surprise reveal about Luke and Vader

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#19]
The opinions on the order may vary, but it seems that everyone agrees that the prequels suck.
Have fun watching regardless and welcome!
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:07:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

The opinions on the order may vary, but it seems that everyone agrees that the prequels suck.

View Quote
40 year old men that, as children in the seventies/eighties grew up watching Star Wars, playing with the toys, and hold a special nostalgic place in their heart for the original movies, think that the prequels suck. Younger kids may not think they suck, or simply suck less. I took my son and his friend when they were 6 to see Episode 1 when it was re-released in the theater (so this is about 4 years ago) and they enjoyed it for what it was. Sure they found Jar Jar Bink's antics and character ludicrous, but they didn't harbor the vitriol that the 40 yr old fanboys do for the character.

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:08:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Seriously, don't ruin the Darth Vader surprise.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:10:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Absolutely  DO NOT watch it machete order. It atempts to make a shit sandwich  taste not as bad. But guess fucking what? It's still a shit sandwich. 2 and 3 are garbage, with no redeeming value what so ever. They actually take away quite alot from the originals by even being presented on the same stage.

Only watch 4, 5, 6.
View Quote

This.  The only good thing about the prequels is that they begot the Red Letter Media reviews.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:14:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

IV, V, VI

View Quote

No.  None exist.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:15:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
40 year old men that, as children in the seventies/eighties grew up watching Star Wars, playing with the toys, and hold a special nostalgic place in their heart for the original movies, think that the prequels suck...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
40 year old men that, as children in the seventies/eighties grew up watching Star Wars, playing with the toys, and hold a special nostalgic place in their heart for the original movies, think that the prequels suck...

I'm not 40.

I'm 45.

Good point, but all our discussion is moot since OP has made his decision.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:15:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've never heard of this. He definitely makes a compelling case for it.
I'll give it a try some rainy winter weekend.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:16:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Episode IV theatrical version (HSF and no upstaging CGI)
Episode V
Episode VI
Done.

Mention there were some other low quality movies made to sell toys but they really had nothing to do with what Obi Wan describes as a story about "The best star pilot nin the galaxy... A cunning warrior... and a good friend" (because I-III had basically nothing to do with any of that)

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:17:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No.  None exist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IV, V, VI

No.  None exist.

Much like ALIEN and ALIENS.

Oh, and Terminator and Terminator 2.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:18:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Why the hate on all the updates on remastered versions?  I was reading that alot of the older movies were cleaned up a bit on some scenes... other than the purity factor, why is this bad?
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:20:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The way God intended IV, V, VI. Without the additional footage. Then have him watch the next three so he can maybe understand what we lost.
View Quote

This.

I just watched 4-5-6 with my 5yo daughter for the first time two weeks ago.  She loved it.

And her reaction to "I am your father!" in 5.... "WHAT?!  BUT HE'S A BAD GUY!"
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:22:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Harmy's Despecialized Editions, Episodes IV, V and VI.

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Why the hate on all the updates on remastered versions?  I was reading that alot of the older movies were cleaned up a bit on some scenes... other than the purity factor, why is this bad?
View Quote
Because the "new" scenes Lucas added were just garbage and added so little value to the original movies other than a "wow CGI!" factor. If all you own are the remastered DVD or Blu-ray versions with the Lucas edits I highly recommend getting the Harmy de-specialized versions. Not only do they look and sound fantastic, but they are as close to the original's as is probably possible sans Disney releasing a version from its archives (assuming it obtained them in the franchise purchase from Lucas).  

Edited to add: beat by 28 seconds on the Harmy recommendation!

If you lack a blu-ray burner what I did was downloaded the de-specialized files via the torrent, convert their format (going to need a software program to do this), and then saved the new files to a USB flash drive (your gonna need a big flash drive, since all three movies total north of 40GB). Now when we want to watch them just plug the flash drive into the TV and viola!

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:26:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Watch IV, V and VI. I, II and III don't exist
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
SHUT YOUR LYING WHORE MOUTH!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:30:18 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote
Because it was fine the way it was.  Cleaning up colors or brightening a scene is one thing, but Lucas went full retard with his CGI shit and story rewriting just for the hell of it.  Fuck Lucas with Jar Jar's dick.

Han shot first!

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:35:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

You don't want to do that.  Here's how it works:

IV - VI is the story.

I - III is the explanation.

Have you ever started out a story with an explanation?
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:43:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Because the "new" scenes Lucas added were just garbage and added so little value to the original movies other than a "wow CGI!" factor. If all you own are the remastered DVD or Blu-ray versions with the Lucas edits I highly recommend getting the Harmy de-specialized versions. Not only do they look and sound fantastic, but they are as close to the original's as is probably possible sans Disney releasing a version from its archives (assuming it obtained them in the franchise purchase from Lucas).  

If you lack a blu-ray burner what I did was downloaded the de-specialized files via the torrent, convert their format (going to need a software program to do this), and then saved the new files to a USB flash drive (your gonna need a big flash drive, since all three movies total north of 40GB). Now when we want to watch them just plug the flash drive into the TV and viola!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this had Lucas just fleshed out the scenes and had some traffic and such in the background it would have been acceptable.

but he went full retard by cluttering everything with CGI.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:47:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:48:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi

There aren't any others, and none of this Roman numeral faggotry.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#40]
The order in which George Lucas intended to disappoint.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:57:37 PM EDT
[#41]

This is the only correct answer.

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 1:00:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Hardcore  =  I-VI
Nostalgia =  IV - VI
Purists = IV, V, VI, I, II & III

I prefer Hardcore myself with the Clone Wars & Rebels cartoon movie and series falling between II & III.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 1:11:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
True, but an 8 yr old will probably be confused by it because those movies aren't intended to be watched in that order and lack the transitions and such necessary to flow if watched in that order.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What transition? Seriously, there isn't anything in the first one needed to explain anything in the second one. Nor is there anything that matters. The galactic war is an afterthought. It doesn't matter what they were fighting about. The plasma from Naboo isn't going to save the republic or make the trade federation all powerful.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 1:32:04 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Because it was fine the way it was.  Cleaning up colors or brightening a scene is one thing, but Lucas went full retard with his CGI shit and story rewriting just for the hell of it.  Fuck Lucas with Jar Jar's dick.  

Han shot first!

http://www.heavymetal.com/v2/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/han-solo-damn-right-i-shot-first.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Han shot first!

http://www.heavymetal.com/v2/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/han-solo-damn-right-i-shot-first.jpg

I thought Han shot. <--------- That is a period for emphasis.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 2:02:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IV, V, VI

You mean the numbers that appear at the start of the film?

By the way, the first one is called A New Hope.

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#46]
If it is the first time watching, 4-6 and then 1-3.

If it is not the first time, 1-6.

Really, the prequels aren't as bad as people make them seem if you ask me. I mean, yeah, they're bad in comparison and some of the acting is really terrible but they are still fun sifi adventures.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 2:22:44 PM EDT
[#47]
new hope, empire, return of the jedi.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 2:23:47 PM EDT
[#48]

.. that actually makes a lot of sense.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 2:27:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/azOzSVo.jpg

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/anewhope.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
IV, V, VI

http://i.imgur.com/azOzSVo.jpg

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/anewhope.jpg

Oh, that Lucasfucked bullshit.

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 2:30:57 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm just surprised you're getting them to watch.  I had to chain my wife down to the couch to watch Empire.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top