BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:33:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why did they feel the need to bring the color of the bear into it and specify it was a BLACK bear??

View Quote

Someone notify the department of "just us"!
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:33:55 AM EDT
[#2]
No joy being a bear chew toy.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:38:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:39:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Who in the world sleeps that deep while camping?
View Quote

The heaviest I sleep is while camping.  Usually because I'm drunk as hell
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:45:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I live in a forest in bum fuck egypt and I have never seen so many bears as this year. And they are really moving looking for food in a tough year. Think I should carry more than a p3at??
View Quote

This year is the first year ever that a black bear has been seen (got it on trail cam) at my deer hunting lease in southern Arkansas. Old timers who have been there for 25-30 years always told me there were no bears there and nobody had ever seen one.

Now the land I hunt in North Central Arkansas has always had bears there.  This is the first time in decades one has been seen at the southern camp.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:58:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I was on a trip (15 days backpacking in NM) where people talked about bears, hung bear bags, bear this, bear that.  We never saw any bears.

Until I dug a hole, and squatted over it.  THEN a bear shows up.  I didn't fill in the hole.  Sue me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn bears ONLY bother me when I try to poop.  They are brilliant assholes.

Go on...

I was on a trip (15 days backpacking in NM) where people talked about bears, hung bear bags, bear this, bear that.  We never saw any bears.

Until I dug a hole, and squatted over it.  THEN a bear shows up.  I didn't fill in the hole.  Sue me.

Thanks for checking back.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:00:34 PM EDT
[#7]
at least it wasnt raping him
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:43:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This.

A 185 in .45acp doesn't have a lot of sectional density and will likely yield poor penetration. When dealing with dangerous pissed off animals that want to kill you, you need penetration to increase your chances of hitting the central nervous system to shut them down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder wihat a headshot from a 1911 loaded with 185s would do to a black bear.

Piss the bear off.

This.

A 185 in .45acp doesn't have a lot of sectional density and will likely yield poor penetration. When dealing with dangerous pissed off animals that want to kill you, you need penetration to increase your chances of hitting the central nervous system to shut them down.

Alaskans have killed brown bear with 9mm, and the natives would shoot them in the ear with .22s.  Most of the bullshit you rear about needing a 454 or a 44mag are just that bullshit.  If you shoot it in the head a 45 ACP will work just fine, those other calibers are for penetration in the body.  There are always guys too that claim the bullet will glance off its skull.  More bullshit, sure bullets did that back in the 1800s when they were made of soft lead and had no jackets.  Another myth that refused to die.

My experience.  Working in Alaska along side bears.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Alaskans have killed brown bear with 9mm, and the natives would shoot them in the ear with .22s.  Most of the bullshit you rear about needing a 454 or a 44mag are just that bullshit.  If you shoot it in the head a 45 ACP will work just fine, those other calibers are for penetration in the body.  There are always guys too that claim the bullet will glance off its skull.  More bullshit, sure bullets did that back in the 1800s when they were made of soft lead and had no jackets.  Another myth that refused to die.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder wihat a headshot from a 1911 loaded with 185s would do to a black bear.

Piss the bear off.

This.

I was less than 8' away when I watched a 165gr .40S&W glance off the skull of a pitbull.  I also was 3' away (as I was the shooter) when I shot a pitbull with a slug from a 12ga that didn't penetrate the skull and "slipped" to the side and went into the shoulder.

Strange shit happens with real bullets in the real world.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 6:51:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I was less than 8' away when I watched a 165gr .40S&W glance off the skull of a pitbull.  I also was 3' away (as I was the shooter) when I shot a pitbull with a slug from a 12ga that didn't penetrate the skull and "slipped" to the side and went into the shoulder.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Piss the bear off.

This.

As with anything shot placement is key, a poor shot with a 454 Casul is still a poor shot.  Not saying you are a poor shot mind you, just stating that a 12ga with slugs are prefered in bear county
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 7:41:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Who in the world sleeps that deep while camping?
View Quote

Hunters.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
When I Bow hunt elk each year there's always someone in the hunting party who thinks it's funny that I always wear a .41 or .44 magnum when we head out.

View Quote

Keep doing it, there will come a time when you'll  need it, and they won't think its funny anymore
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top