Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#1]
This is why it pays to ride a Harley. The oil slick leaking from the engine will cause the pursing cop to spin out into a ditch.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:11:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a guy one time tell me that once you're out of sight, the cop can't pull you over bc he can't prove it was you. He said he lost a cop one time, then pulled over on the side of the road and waived as the cop passed. I always thought this was bs, and don't ride. Can anyone confirm?
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:11:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Running from the cops just seems like a really bad time.

Im really not sure what I would do. I don't own a bike so I never have to make this call
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:15:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:15:33 PM EDT
[#5]
You could always put it on YouTube.

A seven-minute video shot by a speeding motorcyclist as he eluded police could end up costing the rider up to six years in prison when he is sentenced Friday.

Hamza Ali Ben Ali was accused of trying to goad a Westmont officer into a high speed chase while Ali shot video from a camera affixed to his Honda CBR 1000. Ali might have gotten away, if the video hadn’t been uploaded onto YouTube.

“It’s almost like it was a game to him – look at how fast I can go,” said State’s Attorney Robert Berlin, who said his office will seek a prison sentence.

Ali, 31, of Plainfield was found guilty last month in DuPage County of aggravated fleeing and eluding police and driving with a suspended license.

Authorities say the Westmont officer tried to stop the speeding motorcyclist on Oct. 21, 2012, along Cass Avenue. The YouTube video shows a police car, lights flashing, following the cycle into a gas station before the cyclist zooms away.

The officer broke off the pursuit but eventually caught up to the cyclist on I-55 before the motorcycle again sped away. There was no license plate on the bike, but the officer saw the rear-mounted video camera. Police suspected footage might get posted on YouTube and, sure enough, video showed up there about two weeks later, which led to Ali’s arrest, authorities said.Tribune
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:23:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

reckless driving will not put you in jail if dont have a ton on your record.
fleeing however will net you a felony and you WILL goto jail if you manage to not kill yourself.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
at that point.... might as well take yer chances.

you're going to jail any way you look at it, so might as well hope for the best

reckless driving will not put you in jail if dont have a ton on your record.
fleeing however will net you a felony and you WILL goto jail if you manage to not kill yourself.

Yup. Sometimes, the cop just might cut you a break on the misdemeanor and just nail you with a heavy civil infraction if you actually stop. Some risks just aren't worth it. (Especially in Michigan where excessive speed alone is not itself reckless driving)

I was on a ride along when the cop I was riding with stopped a bike. The guy started fleeing, but ultimately stopped and waited for us to catch up. He was hit only with a 4 pt civil infraction (16+ over the speed limit) instead of either the possible careless driving or felony fleeing charge.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:25:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I've never owned anything that I believe would outrun the fuzz.  I think that, at some aggrevated degree, running from the cops is a felony in AK.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:25:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

https://youtu.be/FOYYUOFEYF8
View All Quotes
Quoted:

A seven-minute video shot by a speeding motorcyclist as he eluded police could end up costing the rider up to six years in prison when he is sentenced Friday.

Hamza Ali Ben Ali was accused of trying to goad a Westmont officer into a high speed chase while Ali shot video from a camera affixed to his Honda CBR 1000. Ali might have gotten away, if the video hadn’t been uploaded onto YouTube.

“It’s almost like it was a game to him – look at how fast I can go,” said State’s Attorney Robert Berlin, who said his office will seek a prison sentence.

Ali, 31, of Plainfield was found guilty last month in DuPage County of aggravated fleeing and eluding police and driving with a suspended license.

Authorities say the Westmont officer tried to stop the speeding motorcyclist on Oct. 21, 2012, along Cass Avenue. The YouTube video shows a police car, lights flashing, following the cycle into a gas station before the cyclist zooms away.

The officer broke off the pursuit but eventually caught up to the cyclist on I-55 before the motorcycle again sped away. There was no license plate on the bike, but the officer saw the rear-mounted video camera. Police suspected footage might get posted on YouTube and, sure enough, video showed up there about two weeks later, which led to Ali’s arrest, authorities said.Tribune

More time in jail for that than your average sex offender.  Awesome.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:32:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Run.

If he caught me doing 150 it's a felony either way...

Catching up with someone going 150 and you're stationary is pretty much fucking impossible.

IMO cops should never chase for a traffic infraction if the speed reaches excess of 100mph. Just not worth it for all parties involved.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:39:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Bet all you want. Eventually the house always wins.
View Quote

Yep.

Especially if their is a copter' up your ass.

Not worth a felony charge. Though in VA 150 would result in a class 1 misdemeanor and likely loss of license if convicted.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:43:10 PM EDT
[#11]
GSXR 1000 vs cop car is not even a game. IN my younger days I ran from the cops 3 times.  Each time I was in excess of 100 mph and 2 of the 3 was on a back road.  1 of the times I was running a 150 on the free way.  Pressed it up to 190 hit the first exit and went south on the 4 lane.  Hit the next exit and took about a 50 mile detour.  The other times I just pinned it and lost them in the curves and turned on a side road and had someone come and get me with a trailer. Not saying it was smart but didn't se many options.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:49:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Take the next exit after you're out of sight, these things happen.
View Quote

What *I* did on my BMW K1300GT...................  

160hp is meant to be used, brah..............

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:10:43 PM EDT
[#13]
there have been more then a few bikes that have run in my rural county, all got caught even if they get away from the first car.
there will be squads closing in from all directions, you will be generating driving complaints form other drivers, calls from parents
as you zip down residential streets thinking you are being slick.  off duty cops looking out the window as you fly past on the county highway.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:17:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Ran from the police once in my old Lumina Z34.  (Don't judge, I was just out of High School, it was a sweet car at the time.  )

One officer was in the passenger seat - one was in the potato field with a flashlight.  By the time the driver got back to the cruiser they were quite a ways behind me.

I got away.

Had to admit to it later on a polygraph for employment purposes - the guy got a kick out of it.

That night I was pissing my pants waiting for the cops to knock on my door.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

At that speed, with the capability of much more speed, the house probably won't win that day.

Darwin, however, might.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bet all you want. Eventually the house always wins.

At that speed, with the capability of much more speed, the house probably won't win that day.

Darwin, however, might.

Like I said, the house a.ways wins.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:39:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I outranmaneuvered a few cops when I was a kid. Those are just some of the memories I, as a father of three, cringe at today. Driving that fast was stupid and negligent, running from the law was worse. I was extremely lucky in my youth, not skilled or smart, just lucky.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#17]
keep on the throttle
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:49:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Down here you'd probably be 3 exits away before the Trooper even realized what just buzzed past him.

My bike gets a lil sketchy at around 80 so I'll never know.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:50:36 PM EDT
[#19]
So.... thread supports biker stereotypes?
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:51:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

How does this video differentiate from the sea of other videos?  How did it get the rider caught by the police?  I'm not searching for training info (my 800lb Rocket Roadster doesn't do twisties well), I'm just curious.  While I'm asking, what's up with the "join date, post count" thing?  What's the connection with retreads?  I'm not trying to derail the thread, I've been wanting to ask this for a while and figure I'll get all the hate at once.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:51:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I would keep going and turn off the highway.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:53:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I guess you could always get away.

A ticket is not worth the risk of running away for me.  $100 bucks or whatever is cheap in comparison to the loss of my life.

If you run you're a moron. IMO.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:55:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
felony speeding in most states... kiss your gun permit, form 4's, and FFL (if you have one...) goodbye...

so wtf... bury it...
View Quote

No its not.

Most states do not even have a felony speeding law. If you disagree please cite.

The only state that has felony speeding that I know of is Florida and that is only after the 3rd offense of 50 MPH over.

However fleeing/eluding is a felony in many states.

I would stop without question.

A big speeding ticket is better than a more serious problem if they catch you running.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:57:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

A ticket is not worth the risk of running away for me.  $100 bucks or whatever is cheap in comparison to the loss of my life.

View Quote

$100 bucks for doing 150mph? yea no. in NY it's gonna be about $700, lose your drivers license, and any other charges they tack on can push it higher.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:59:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Pull over and take it.

Got a 5 minute lecture and a warning after being pinched for going over 120 mph.
Oncoming cop lit me up and I saw him braking and turning around.
Had my helmet off and license and insurance out by the time he pulled up.

He (RCMP) thanked me for being responsible enough to pull over, read me the riot act and let me go.

I was expecting much worse.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:00:29 PM EDT
[#26]
NYPD?  Travel for another 3 seconds until the pursuit is called off.

NY State Trooper?  Pull over and hope he doesn't kill you.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:00:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Going 150 mph on a motorcycle is suicidal. So let's just assume the rider is gonzo nuts. Nothing he would do in regard to a cop would surprise me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:01:32 PM EDT
[#28]

Hypothetically I mighta bumped into the wrong side of the law a time or two back when I was younger and new it all but,  now days I would stop.  Dont need the aggravation.

So with that being said you can easily outrun the cops on a bike but you cant outrun that damn radio for shit.  Just sayin. . . .

Also if you cant out run or out maneuver a car with sport bike you prolly dont need to be riding it.

I get pulled over the other day and its only cause the dang trailer lights quit working.  But the initial reaction when I saw the lights was still to floor it  

ETA - spelling

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:02:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

$100 bucks for doing 150mph? yea no. in NY it's gonna be about $700, lose your drivers license, and any other charges they tack on can push it higher.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever it is.. the number was just thrown in for the sake of having one.

$700.00 is a low number.  If you run for $700.00 you are still a moron.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:04:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Unless the cop somehow got a clear pic of your plate all you need to do is move beyond his sight and then he cannot prove it was you.   Take next off ramp and grab some lunch
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:08:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So... you decide to stretch out your 1000cc superbike out on the freeway, traffic is very sparse, your you're in full riding gear, and you pass a cop doing 150 mph.  You see his flashers come one.

What would you do?
View Quote

A friend claimed something similar happened to him in his foolish youth while he was riding his Harley thoroughly stoned on acid. His solution was to head into the woods.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:09:21 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Run.

Catching up with someone going 150 and you're stationary is pretty much fucking impossible.

IMO cops should never chase for a traffic infraction if the speed reaches excess of 100mph. Just not worth it for all parties involved.

View Quote
You're already riding 150, yet you suddenly give a shit about road safety when the gumballs come on?

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:13:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Well, it takes a Dodge Charger srt8 392 approx 30 seconds to go from 0 to 150 (0-60 in 4.2). Police chargers with the regular hemi are significantly slower but let's just say they have a srt8 392 high speed pursuit car for kicks.

If bike is already doing 150mph then he is covering 2.5 miles per minute. By my math, by the time the police gets to 150mph, the bike has already put 1.25 miles between himself and the cop car, and this is just if the bike did not accelerate to faster speed.

Cop has no chance unless bike stays on same road and cop radio ahead.

All considering clear highway as stated in OP.

So with that in consideration, if you are on a bike going 150, count to 30 and then turn off, cop won't ever see you. Especially since the cop won't have a srt8 392....
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:16:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You're already riding 150, yet you suddenly give a shit about road safety when the gumballs come on?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Run.

rider might not, but the cops should care.

A chase is a FAR larger threat to other vehicles on the road. First off it'll push the rider to make riskier decisions. (even more than deciding to do a 150) and then you add a car to the mix, which due to the laws of physics a much more dangerous projectile than a bike.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:17:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Meanwhile, some child molester will get early release becuase he didn't molest any kids while he was in prison.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:20:29 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Unless the cop somehow got a clear pic of your plate all you need to do is move beyond his sight and then he cannot prove it was you.   Take next off ramp and grab some lunch
View Quote

The bounds of my job end at something we call "probable cause".  There's other people out there who deal in "beyond a reasonable doubt".

You're still going to jail.  Maybe, just maybe I'll let you finish you're Hardees.  

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:23:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Why would anyone ride a sport bike on the fucking freeway to begin with?

Anytime I've zapped past a cop, I've pulled over. I'm too old to be running from the cops, and have too much on the line to risk jail or death over a fucking traffic fine.

They've never written me a ticket.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:25:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:27:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Speed limiter is 132mph on my FZ-09, not to mention it gets real windy at that speed.

The bike already feels like it's trying to kill me at normal speeds , I rarely push it above 75-80mph
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:36:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Needed moar spike strips and grease spots.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:38:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Speed limiter is 132mph on my FZ-09, not to mention it gets real windy at that speed.

The bike already feels like it's trying to kill me at normal speeds , I rarely push it above 75-80mph
View Quote

is the 09 actually limited? that's kind of odd. I knew they topped out at that but I assumed that was just hitting the end of 6th.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:39:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and if you flee? $700 is a small price to pay to keep a felony off your record
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:39:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

You have to watch getting your shirt in the chain too.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:41:14 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

There is a no pursuit policy on bikes around here. They'll throw the lights on, but if you roll on the throttle or don't immediately stop they call it off within seconds.

Might as well break the law some more, I suppose, if you're already doing jail speeds.
View Quote
Same where I live.

The officer calls it in and they always get a response to not pursue.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:42:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Well, it takes a Dodge Charger srt8 392 approx 30 seconds to go from 0 to 150 (0-60 in 4.2). Police chargers with the regular hemi are significantly slower but let's just say they have a srt8 392 high speed pursuit car for kicks.

If bike is already doing 150mph then he is covering 2.5 miles per minute. By my math, by the time the police gets to 150mph, the bike has already put 1.25 miles between himself and the cop car, and this is just if the bike did not accelerate to faster speed.

Cop has no chance unless bike stays on same road and cop radio ahead.

All considering clear highway as stated in OP.

So with that in consideration, if you are on a bike going 150, count to 30 and then turn off, cop won't ever see you. Especially since the cop won't have a srt8 392....
View Quote

what about the cop coming from the next town down the road?
or the trooper who is at the next overpass?
or the county deputies approaching from the off ramps?
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:45:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

is the 09 actually limited? that's kind of odd. I knew they topped out at that but I assumed that was just hitting the end of 6th.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, a reflash will take care of it though. From what I've seen on the web, some people are hitting just below 170mph with it removed. No way in hell I'd want to be going that fast on mine.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:46:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Helicopters like bright colored motorcycles.  My friend learned that the hard way. Don't run.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:50:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

know how I know you dont have a bike?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Turn the lights off.

know how I know you dont have a bike?

My Police RT has a kill switch for the lights  
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:00:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Getting away is easy, especially if you've got a fast car or a bike.  It's trying to unass the area later when every blue uniform for miles is looking for your very unique vehicle... that's the problem.  Maybe easier on a bike that is a dime a dozen.  

It will at least cost you a $500 donation to the special victims fund to buy the nolle, and that's if you can get it down to misdemeanor wreckless from felony evading on the side of the road.  

So I've heard anyways...

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:01:49 PM EDT
[#50]
When I was young and dumber I liked to speed a lot on my bikes.

I've passed cops at 120 and had them flash their lights and not budge, and I've had one chase me at 170.

We had a few go to routes for evading if it came down to it.

Both spots were developments with bike paths leaving them that had bollards that would stop a car but a bike could split thru and have a 5+ minute lead.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top