Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2015 8:09:47 PM EDT

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/florida-man-charged-dui-his-motorized-wheelchair-n444701

Hicks has an extensive DUI record — including two convictions in 2013
and one in 1998 — court records show. It couldn't immediately be
determined whether those offenses were committed in his wheelchair or in
a more traditional vehicle.

Link Posted: 10/14/2015 8:15:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like he had a wheel bad night
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#2]
he was arrested on a toll bridge i wonder if he paid the toll

I think making this a felony DUI is a bit much
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 8:16:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Lol
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#4]
two DUI's isn't that extensive nowadays
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 8:18:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

maybe not
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 8:20:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 8:20:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Not surprised.

People get DUIs here, get their license suspended, then go buy a scooter and drive on the same roads at 20+ below the speed limit

License suspended should mean you lose your privilege to operate ANY motorized vehicle on the road.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 8:21:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
maybe not
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

maybe not
Personally, I think DUI on a scooter (handicapped kind),bike, or skateboard are kind of bullshit.  Who is he going to hurt besides himself?

Going to read the story and see what is what.

Edit:  guy was blocking multiple lanes on the road, fuck him

Link Posted: 10/14/2015 8:23:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not surprised.

People get DUIs here, get their license suspended, then go buy a scooter and drive on the same roads at 20+ below the speed limit

License suspended should mean you lose your privilege to operate ANY motorized vehicle on the road.
View Quote

I heard of people getting DUI's on golf carts, riding lawn mowers and motorized bicycles. Kind of stupid getting a DUI on those if you ask me. Who the fuck are you gonna kill on a golf cart or bicycle?
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 8:30:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

It needs to be.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 8:30:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its two more than I have.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 8:30:54 PM EDT
[#12]
lol what in the fuck
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Sir time to go go home.

I can't I'm impaired.

Sir if you don't leave I will arrest you for  loitering and disorderly conduct.

If I move this joy stick you will arrest me for felony DUI.
I feel trapped.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 8:42:45 PM EDT
[#14]
It couldn't immediately be determined whether those offenses were committed in his wheelchair or in a more traditional vehicle.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/14/2015 9:22:22 PM EDT
[#15]
He refused to take a field sobriety test, they said,

What, couldnt walk in a straight line?

Link Posted: 10/14/2015 9:27:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I reviewed the police report. It was in his wheel chair...... Supposedly he was blocking traffic, again.... This is the same county that had the judge and public defender fight not too long ago
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 9:28:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Got to make that money..
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 9:42:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I heard of people getting DUI's on golf carts, riding lawn mowers and motorized bicycles. Kind of stupid getting a DUI on those if you ask me. Who the fuck are you gonna kill on a golf cart or bicycle?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not surprised.

Vehicles are defined differently in the DUI statute and the Driving on suspended license statute. You can get a DUI on a bicycle. I may have even presented a bicycle DUI to a jury and won as a young attorney.  Flame away.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 9:43:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Not surprised.

View Quote

I know of a guy that got a DUI on his tractor, cutting hay in his own field.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 9:51:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not surprised.

I've heard of two cases-IIRC both in Montana-of a man getting a DUI on a horse.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 10:00:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not surprised.

And you are wrong.  Not illegal to be drunk and riding a horse in public.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 10:05:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not surprised.

I've heard that story also. A guy took to riding his horse to the bar after his first DUI. He then proceeded to get a DUI on his horse. He then trained his dog to take the reigns of the horse got popped for DUI but won in a jury trial.

I'm not sure if I believe it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 10:05:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Hell on wheels.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 10:21:30 PM EDT
[#24]
so if your license is suspended and you get a DUI in a wheelchair, what they going to do, double secret probation license suspension?  It's already suspended
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 10:27:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
so if your license is suspended and you get a DUI in a wheelchair, what they going to do, double secret probation license suspension?  It's already suspended
View Quote

More like sitting in jail on the tax payers dime.......
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not surprised.

Yes and no. Sounds like the story was false, but I did indeed hear the story.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 7:17:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not surprised.

Google DUI on a horse.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 7:21:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not surprised.

His neighbor probably called in that he wasn't cutting it straight.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 7:28:37 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not surprised.

You missed the DUIs for riding a horse while drunk.  noted above

Personally, I see this wheelchair incident as a D&D - not DUI.  Somebody is stretching, knows this guy can't afford good attorney, and hopes to sneak it through the system on a plea agreement.

Link Posted: 10/15/2015 7:38:18 PM EDT
[#30]
I used to work at a fire station where, for some reason, there were a lot of people running around in those scooter/chairs.
Every once in awhile we would be coming back from a call and see one of them stranded because their battery was dead. We would load them in the ambulance and take them home while another guy pushed the scooter back to their apartment. The all lived at an apartment complex for old people and would go to Walmart or whatever: there was a strip mall at the end of the block.

I did this twice for the same guy, he was drunk. There was a bar at the corner that he went to and it was the only bar within range of his scooter. So, I see him stranded again. I get out and ask him why he doesn't go in the bar and charge his scooter. He says he got 86ed from the bar. I said, you mean like you just got thrown out, or you mean you have been thrown out for good ? He said they threw him out for good and 86ed him. At this point, I lost my patience with him and I said something to the effect: you stupid motherfucker. You have ONE bar you can go to and you get yourself thrown out for good ????????????

So, we loaded him in the ambulance and took him home. I pushed his scooter back to the apartment. We get there and he doesn't have his keys. So, I had to hang out over the side of the stairs leading to the front door and bang on somebodies window and asked them to let us in. Then we get to his apartment and I picked the lock to get in that door.

And who says, we arn't public servants ?

Driving scooters drunk is commonplace.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 7:41:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Wait til this guy pulls the ADA card.

600 lb gorilla vs. prosecuting atty
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 7:42:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

What if the horse is drunk?
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 7:43:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds like 3.  2 in '13 and 1 in '98.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#34]

I think the salient issue is whether or not he is confined to a wheelchair or is merely using it because his license is suspended.

If it's the former, the charge is utterly ludicrous. That's the only mobility the guy would have. I've never heard of a law precluding disabled folks from drinking.

If it's a scam to skirt no drivers license....a felony is still over the top as his wheelchair isn't likely to kill or cripple anybody.

Link Posted: 10/15/2015 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#35]
I love the adventures of Florida Man.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 7:50:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not surprised.

Don't do it in KY
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/drunk-driving/dui-on-a-horse-890735
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 8:10:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Not surprised.

View Quote

when i was in high school back in the 80's in north carolina.

. we went to the courthouse as a field trip...  i remember the case we were watching, it was a dui.  the judge found the guy guilty..... the only thing i can remember about it though.. was the judge said. " your license is suspended for xxx amount of time....during that time... your not allowed to drive a motor vehicle.. until you get your license reinstated.  let me say that again... until you do your time, and your license suspension is up.... your not allowed to drive any motor vehicle....

dui guy..... ...................

judge....... NOT EVEN A MOPED ! ! !

dui guy.....

not. eve. a. moped ! ! ! !
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 8:11:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not surprised.

I feel like there should be some sort of hunting over bait restrictions with certain vehicles.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 9:47:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Not surprised.

View Quote

So you take a person who might still be holding a job and paying taxes and ensure that in many cases they cant do either. Profit?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top