Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2015 7:36:47 AM EDT
I've been wanting to get this done for a very long time. My prescription was -7.00 for contacts/glasses which is pretty crappy and I was extremely nearsighted. The Dr. Joked that i would likely win their nearsighted contest for the day. It was a super fast and very simple procedure.
The only difficult part was getting the flap cut. They kinda squash your eye ball with this machine that cuts it but it doesn't hurt. Just lots of pressure and everything goes black. It's very weird. I nearly burst out laughing during the procedure it was so simple. Waking up and not having to hunt down a pair of glasses is an amazing feeling. After discounts I paid 3k even.
Getting ready to go to the follow up now.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 7:39:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 7:42:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Keep us posted. Been thinking about it for awhile. -8.5 and -7.5 here.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 7:57:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Just keep the eye drops coming. During the first year after getting my eyes done I carried drops with me at all times. Also, the night vision will get better with the streaks diminishing.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 7:59:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hope everything goes smoothly in your recovery and that you suffer none of the rare side effects that caused so many problems for one of the members here
View Quote

I vaguely know what you are referring to but so far I can freaking see and it is awesome.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 7:59:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Follow the docs instructions, use the drops religiously.  Take care of you eyes!
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 8:01:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I got this done in columbus. I used a referral and got 45% discount. Let me know if you want a good place to go or want a referral.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 8:01:20 AM EDT
[#7]
As said above, use the drops.  If they say use them every 30 min, do it every 15.  I had a dry spot for about 5 weeks, but once the nerves grew back I was gtg.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 8:01:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just keep the eye drops coming. During the first year after getting my eyes done I carried drops with me at all times. Also, the night vision will get better with the streaks diminishing.
View Quote

I plan on it for sure.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 8:02:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As said above, use the drops.  If they say use them every 30 min, do it every 15.  I had a dry spot for about 5 weeks, but once the nerves grew back I was gtg.
View Quote

Yep. Gonna stock up on some when I get home.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 8:04:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm 53 years old. I had Lasic done in 2004. In 2014 I had to get glasses again. It was a wonderful 10 tears without glasses! But time and age caught up to me...enjoy
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 8:06:32 AM EDT
[#11]
My eyes weren't TOO terrible.  I needed glasses if I was shooting, driving at night, and I'd wear them for movies with subtitles.  I could still read the subtitles, but I'd be squinting and it was slower.

Lasik was the best money I ever spent.  I, too, was surprised at how fast and simple it seemed.  

I used the prescription drops religiously, and visine after a few weeks.  The worst part was not instinctively rubbing my eyes in the morning and throughout the day.

Congrats.  Lasik kicks ass.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 8:08:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm 53 years old. I had Lasic done in 2004. In 2014 I had to get glasses again. It was a wonderful 10 tears without glasses! But time and age caught up to me...enjoy
View Quote

I got lifetime guarantee so they will keep me 20/20 forever as long as I get one eye exam a year.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 8:09:28 AM EDT
[#13]
It's the best thing I ever did for myself.  

I was at -7 and -6.75.  It took a long time for the starburst effect  around street lights to go away; but other than dry eyes at times, I haven't had any problems and am still at 20/20 eight years later.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 8:10:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same, except I had PRK done 10 years ago.   Been using glasses again for the last few years.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 8:10:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My eyes weren't TOO terrible.  I needed glasses if I was shooting, driving at night, and I'd wear them for movies with subtitles.  I could still read the subtitles, but I'd be squinting and it was slower.

Lasik was the best money I ever spent.  I, too, was surprised at how fast and simple it seemed.  

I used the prescription drops religiously, and visine after a few weeks.  The worst part was not instinctively rubbing my eyes in the morning and throughout the day.

Congrats.  Lasik kicks ass.
View Quote

Yeah I'm trying not to rub mine. They are slightly itchy kinda like having dry eyes but not exactly. I can't believe how easy it was.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 8:11:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I was at -7 and -6.75.  It took a long time for the starburst effect  around street lights to go away; but other than dry eyes at times, I haven't had any problems and am still at 20/20 eight years later.
View Quote

Epic.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 8:15:16 AM EDT
[#17]
My wife had hers done about 15 years back, and she's still gtg. It was the kind where they cut the flap.

My neighbor had his done without the flap cut about three days ago. So far, so good.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 8:17:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

It hasn't gone away fully for me and it's been 7 years. Still worth it though, for sure.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 8:20:02 AM EDT
[#19]
I was at -4.5/-4.75, had LASIK in 2013.  One of the best things to ever happen to me.  I was fortunate to have mine paid for by the Navy, but looking back the difference in quality of life is totally worth a few K.  I will always say to anyone interested, if you are a good candidate, it's worth every penny.

I used the drops religiously for about 3 mos, occasionally thru 6, and now I never need them.  I do notice my eyes get dry quickly if I'm dehydrated. The halos at night went away after a month or so, but sometimes I have a hard time with my focus while driving if there's lots of street lights, rainy windshield, etc.  

I was 20/15 at one month.  Haven't had it checked since the 6month mark but was 20/15 then also. I'm 32 so I hope it holds out for life, but I wouldn't be surprised if I needed correction later in life.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 8:26:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I got lifetime guarantee so they will keep me 20/20 forever as long as I get one eye exam a year.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a give and take with Lasic corrective vision as time goes on. As you age your vision naturally can diminish. For me to get a  Lasic "tune up" it would result in mt forever needing reading glasses...for ALL reading. So I opted not for additional procedures and just went with glasses. There is a tease off and there is NO garuntee
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 8:30:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LASIK can not correct age related vision loss, ie, reading glasses

Also, the next time you get it done, they don't cut the flap. They pick the old cut open.  By hand.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 8:30:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Congrats! Do follow the doc's orders exactly as he told you. Eyes are nothing to mess around with.

I had PRK a little over a year ago. -8.00 in one eye, -7.50 in the other with an astigmatism. The freedom to be without glasses or contacts is amazing, given my previous near blindness without correction.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 9:16:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Had it done in 2012, -5.25 and -5.5

Needed to keep artificial tears handy for around a year only in the mornings first waking up. Taking a shower when I woke up seemed to help with the morning dryness too. Starbursts at night has faded over time as well for me. Life is good!
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 9:19:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've been wanting to get this done for a very long time. My prescription was -7.00 for contacts/glasses which is pretty crappy and I was extremely nearsighted. The Dr. Joked that i would likely win their nearsighted contest for the day. It was a super fast and very simple procedure.
The only difficult part was getting the flap cut. They kinda squash your eye ball with this machine that cuts it but it doesn't hurt. Just lots of pressure and everything goes black. It's very weird. I nearly burst out laughing during the procedure it was so simple. Waking up and not having to hunt down a pair of glasses is an amazing feeling. After discounts I paid 3k even.
Getting ready to go to the follow up now.
View Quote

Which type did you have done?
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 9:19:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Very similar for me but I had PRK. I can still pass the eye test to drive without glasses though so that's a plus.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 9:20:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Had it done 9 years ago. Still 20/20.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 9:21:02 AM EDT
[#27]
I had it done years ago. I was blind as a bat. It was the best money I ever spent.

Congrats and use your drops!  
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 9:24:06 AM EDT
[#28]
I imagine that if you were a caveman you would have been dead by now.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 9:25:57 AM EDT
[#29]
I had lasik 10 years ago and couldn't be more happy with the results.  It is one of best decisions that I ever made!
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 9:38:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you feel like your vision changes suddenly, particularly after a hard bump of some kind or you get forgetful and rub your eye then immediately go to an eye Dr.  Don't wait.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 9:50:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Follow the Dr.s direction for post op care!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Solace22, I had it done 16 years ago.  Went from 20/400 to near perfect.  Like magic for me.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 10:33:29 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm -6.00 in both and really starting to consider it
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 10:35:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Congratulations!
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 10:40:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was ready to do it until the doc said, youre going to need reading glasses though,  im 49.

Fuck that.  We have satellites going to pluto and pissing billions in the ME and shaving corneas but havent figured this out yet.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 10:44:12 AM EDT
[#36]
IN!
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 10:44:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I imagine that if you were a caveman you would have been dead by now.
View Quote

Interesting point!

Why is it that eyes fail prematurly?  Over the millions of years of evolution youd thhink they would work perfectly until youre really old.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 10:49:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Just don't rub you eyes, or the flap pops up

I had Lasik 15 years ago, and now might use driving glasses at night

Link Posted: 10/17/2015 10:49:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Nice, I'm getting mine done next week, pretty excited!
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 10:56:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Coming up on 2 years since I had mine done. It was hands down, one of the best things I have done. I had glasses since 2nd grade ( now 42 ). I hesitated getting it done for years because I was paranoid about anyone/anything touching my eye. When I went in for the Pre-Op the nurse was trying to put drops in and I fought it happening. The Dr. came in and said " how do you expect me to cut your eyes open if you can't even take eye drops ??? " I asked if he had any drops he could give me and I would "practice" for a week until my next appt. He thought that was a great idea. So, for the next week, my wife, and sometimes my daughter, would sit on me and pin me down and pry my eye open and put the drops in. By the end of the week, I was a pro. When I went back in the Dr was impressed. The surgery was easy and painless. I still use the Refresh drops every morning, just so I don't turn into a wimp again.  

And now buying sunglasses are almost a hobby of mine as bad as guns .
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 11:26:27 AM EDT
[#41]
I had LASIK done back in 2001 and although my eyesight wasn't as bad as the OP's, my experience was pretty similar.  Particularly the bit about them putting the microkeratome on your eye.  When they turn on the suction, you go blind.  Not "it's dark in this room" but blind for a few seconds.  They didn't warn me and it was pretty disconcerting for a few seconds.  Everything else about it was a piece of cake.

And like another poster mentioned, I had an "enhancement" (redo) on my right eye a few months later and yes they just use a little hook to tear up the old flap.  On days they do the regular procedures they have a bunch of people waiting in the office watching eye operation on TV monitors.  For enhancements....there's no audience watching the monitors that day, lol.

I was good for about 10 years, then age decided I'd had enough and I wear contacts again but the correction is small (-1.25).  No trouble reading up close unless I have my contacts in, and then my arms seem to be getting shorter and shorter...
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 11:33:10 AM EDT
[#42]
I got prk and it's amazing.  This was in 2008 and my vision is 12/20 and 15/20 in my eyes.  It's very intimidating but was pretty much painless and worth it.  My eyes do dry out faster now but I just carry a thing of eye drops with me.  I'd do it again in a heart beat!
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I had LASIK done back in 2001 and although my eyesight wasn't as bad as the OP's, my experience was pretty similar.  Particularly the bit about them putting the microkeratome on your eye.  When they turn on the suction, you go blind.  Not "it's dark in this room" but blind for a few seconds.  They didn't warn me and it was pretty disconcerting for a few seconds.  Everything else about it was a piece of cake.

And like another poster mentioned, I had an "enhancement" (redo) on my right eye a few months later and yes they just use a little hook to tear up the old flap.  On days they do the regular procedures they have a bunch of people waiting in the office watching eye operation on TV monitors.  For enhancements....there's no audience watching the monitors that day, lol.

I was good for about 10 years, then age decided I'd had enough and I wear contacts again but the correction is small (-1.25).  No trouble reading up close unless I have my contacts in, and then my arms seem to be getting shorter and shorter...
View Quote

I thought contacts after lasik was something you could never do again
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 11:47:59 AM EDT
[#44]
I have perfect vision so I'm a bit biased but I have a friend that is an eye doctor and he told me there is no way in hell he would ever have it done. The margin of error is apparently too great for him to be comfortable undergoing the procedure. So I'm out.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 11:52:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Best decision I ever made was LASIK.

Quality of life being able to read the alarm clock at night without needing glasses is soooo worth it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 12:45:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I got this done in columbus. I used a referral and got 45% discount. Let me know if you want a good place to go or want a referral.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm glad your surgery went well. My dad had Lasik and he said it was like night and day.

Also your discount comment reminds me of this

Link Posted: 10/17/2015 12:54:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.  I wear daily disposables with no problem.  If you have some complications from the LASIK that may exclude you from wearing contacts.  Say, if you have very dry eyes or something.  I wear mine 8-12 hours a day, but not every day, and have no issues.  Been doing it for a few years now.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 1:04:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

-6.0 to -6.5 here

Link Posted: 10/17/2015 1:51:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Eleven years ago this month. Still 20/20, maybe a little better in my left eye.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top