Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:35:10 PM EDT
[#1]
That is a cool pic..............I am looking forward to this movie

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:35:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

It makes no sense for Luke to be evil.  None.

Han may die, the new characters may be the children of the old, Chewbacca may go bald, Anthony Daniels may stop being a pompous prick, but Luke will always be a Jedi.

...and don't bring up the now defunct EU.  The EU sucked.
View Quote
Yoda told Luke if he left to face Vader he'd go into the Darkside. He did face Vader. Thus it makes sense for him to go Sith.

Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:37:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks better than the prequels for sure. Will never capture the magic of the original. Still need to see though because Star Wars is American as apple pie.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:39:07 PM EDT
[#4]
My guess is that Luke is in hiding. His screen time will be very minimal but used for a plot twist.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:42:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:45:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yoda told Luke if he left to face Vader he'd go into the Darkside. He did face Vader. Thus it makes sense for him to go Sith.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Han may die, the new characters may be the children of the old, Chewbacca may go bald, Anthony Daniels may stop being a pompous prick, but Luke will always be a Jedi.

Yoda also didn't notice that the Lord of the Sith was the Chancellor until he had already gotten his ass kicked. Just because some green space mufti murmured something doesn't mean a thing.

Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:47:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Horseshit.

"You must confront Vader. Then, only then, a Jedi will you be. " or something like that.

He never tells him if he faces Vader he turns.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:47:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Assuming Sienar Fleet Systems hasn't gone out of business or beaten by Kuat Drive Yards for the contract

Quoted:

We don't know what's happened since The Return of the Jedi.

If the Empire collapsed and fractured into multiple pieces, it's possible that the pace of technology slowed to a crawl.

It's also possible that they live in a less dynamic time, where technology improvements aren't moving as quickly. Our current pace of technological evolution is historically rare.

Also, think of other Military tech... How many M-48's, T-55's, etc, are still running around the world?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, it's over 30 years since Ties first flew.

It's kind of silly that there are still X-Wings and Tie Fighters at all (though I understand the decision to avoid changing too much).

1st flight, 1952. USAF still flying them:

http://oi66.tinypic.com/2vkeolh.jpg

1st flight, 1952. Israeli AF phased them out two years ago. Brazil Navy still flying them:

http://oi64.tinypic.com/2r2rfvs.jpg

1st flight, 1958. German AF retired them two years ago. Greek AF still flying them. The Turks were flying them in combat missions in Syria as recently as last month:

http://oi64.tinypic.com/5wgi77.jpg

1) They're beyond obsolete.  The absence of a peer/near-peer enemy allows their continued use.

2) Each Star Wars trilogy saw an evolution of the spacecraft used by each side.

We don't know what's happened since The Return of the Jedi.

If the Empire collapsed and fractured into multiple pieces, it's possible that the pace of technology slowed to a crawl.

It's also possible that they live in a less dynamic time, where technology improvements aren't moving as quickly. Our current pace of technological evolution is historically rare.

Also, think of other Military tech... How many M-48's, T-55's, etc, are still running around the world?

Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:51:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yoda said, "...if you choose the quick and easy path, as Vader did, you will become an agent of evil." and followed up with, "Strong is Vader.  Mind what you have learned.  Save you it can."
Luke rejected Vader's offer to join him and remained on the side of the Light.

Later, when Luke faced the Emperor himself, he declared, "Never! I'll never turn to the dark side. You've failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."

The Emperor responded with, "So be it...Jedi." affirming that Luke rejected the Dark Side and is a Jedi.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:02:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Doesn't mean he didn't turn later on.

I figure Luke, in an effort to bring balance to the Force, dabbled in the Dark Side a bit.
And may have bit him in the ass.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:17:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I don't know how to respond to that without repeating what you quoted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1) They're beyond obsolete.  The absence of a peer/near-peer enemy allows their continued use.

What's the average age of an F-15 or F-16?

The X-wing and TIE fighters are proven designs and the ones shown in the trailers are obviously improved variants of the originals.

Just saying that the ones in the trailer are obviouslt evolved versions of the ones in the originals.
How many variants of F15s and 16s are there? And how different is the most recent to the original?

Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:23:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, it's over 30 years since Ties first flew.

It's kind of silly that there are still X-Wings and Tie Fighters at all (though I understand the decision to avoid changing too much).

1st flight, 1952. USAF still flying them:

http://oi66.tinypic.com/2vkeolh.jpg

1st flight, 1952. Israeli AF phased them out two years ago. Brazil Navy still flying them:

http://oi64.tinypic.com/2r2rfvs.jpg

1st flight, 1958. German AF retired them two years ago. Greek AF still flying them. The Turks were flying them in combat missions in Syria as recently as last month:

http://oi64.tinypic.com/5wgi77.jpg

They are not obsolete, they evolved just like modern aircraft look very similar to their predecessors.  The X-Wing and Tie Fighter never changed in the Original Trilogy.  They were both used unchanged in all three movies.  New ships were designed but the original X and Tie were still the standard.

There will be new ships in the movie that haven't been seen yet.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:30:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Y'all are also forgetting relativity. It could be 30 years later but due to relativity and time dilation, some of the Empire may have only had a few years to develop.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 12:09:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 12:16:09 AM EDT
[#15]
That dogfight at the end looks awesome
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 1:01:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Horseshit.

"You must confront Vader. Then, only then, a Jedi will you be. " or something like that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Horseshit.

Only a fully trained Jedi knight, with the force as an ally will conquer Vader and his emperor. If you end your training now, choose the quick and easy path. You will become an agent of evil.

Link Posted: 11/7/2015 9:31:18 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Yoda also didn't notice that the Lord of the Sith was the Chancellor until he had already gotten his ass kicked. Just because some green space mufti murmured something doesn't mean a thing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Space Mufti... I like that.

Fucking Jedi are the Taliban anyways.

Long live the Empire. Down with the Rebels.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 9:36:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Star Wars: The SJW's Strike Back.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 9:48:50 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote
Strong Female lead in 1977 (Princess Liea)

Black Male that wasn't portrayed as someone useless in 1980 (Lando)

Link Posted: 11/7/2015 10:06:43 AM EDT
[#20]
The trailers are getting better and better.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 10:08:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Strong Female lead in 1977 (Princess Liea)   Black Male that wasn't portrayed as someone useless in 1980 (Lando)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Strong Female lead in 1977 (Princess Liea)   Black Male that wasn't portrayed as someone useless in 1980 (Lando)

What?

I'm referring to the fact that J. J. Abrams has to make the bad guys good, the good guys bad and only our rag tag group of hippies from both cultures can save the world from the evil capitalists on both sides.

Oh, and lens-flare bukakke.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 10:12:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Im no star wars junkie, but that looks pretty good
View Quote

I'm not a huge HUGE fan of Star Wars, but yeah, that looks like it could be pretty good.

I hope JJ Abrams doesn't fuck it up... or he'll be known as Jar Jar Abrams.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 10:19:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Just saying that the ones in the trailer are obviouslt evolved versions of the ones in the originals.
How many variants of F15s and 16s are there? And how different is the most recent to the original?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the average age of an F-15 or F-16?

The X-wing and TIE fighters are proven designs and the ones shown in the trailers are obviously improved variants of the originals.

Consider the small arms too. If you look at pictures of the original Sterling-based stormtrooper rifles, they're pretty similar to the current versions we've seen glimpses of in this film.

Just like the M4's and 416's of today aren't that drastically different from the M16s and CARs from 1985
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 11:38:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Tie fighter firing backwards @ 1:06 - is that normal?
View Quote

Miranda class...wait that was the Reliant.  Different saga.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 11:39:52 AM EDT
[#25]

Proven fake from weeks ago.  Move along, move along.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 11:44:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tie fighter firing backwards @ 1:06 - is that normal?

It's a TIE with a rear gunner.  Not sure if they have officially given it a name but it is being called a Special Forces Tie.  Note the red markings and beefed up wing supports.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 12:45:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If you look at 1:53 then you see the white girl in the woods, at night, with snow, holding the arm of someone in a tan jacket and crying. Looks like Finn may have gotten in over his head trying to take on Kylo Ren. "Hope does not die today, it begins"

My guess...Finn is believed to be the future of the force joins the rebels, the rebels get their butts kicked by the new empire, Finn gets dead...but all along it was a build up to get the white girl to become a Jedi. Finn's death galvanizes her the way Ben's death galvanized Luke.

Pure speculation.
View Quote

Edited your post to reflect my own prediction.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 2:43:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Vader died 30 years before this movie. So Kylo was his apprentice... when he was in diapers?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tie Fighters in the Sun.
GO EMPIRE!

This caught my eye as well.  Tie Fighters flying out of the sun....too freakin' cool.
Really starting to believe the new Sith dude is really Luke.  Too many indicators going off in my head.

My theory is he's either the new Sith Lord or he's a recluse Jedi hiding like Obi Wan was, avoiding the First Order so he can begin training the next generation of Jedis.
I think the First Order is hunting him, and I think Kylo Ren might have been Darth Vader's apprentice who never finished his training, so he knows of Luke and seeks to destroy him like Vader did to the Jedi Order.

Vader died 30 years before this movie. So Kylo was his apprentice... when he was in diapers?

I realize I made a mistake when I posted that. Let me rephrase; there is a Sith Lord. I doubt it's Kylo Ren. Either it's Luke, or it's someone else. The thing that makes sense is the current Sith Lord, if not Luke, was Vader's apprentice.

ETA, never mind the spoilers. It's just spit balling.

Link Posted: 11/7/2015 5:47:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I realize I made a mistake when I posted that. Let me rephrase; there is a Sith Lord. I doubt it's Kylo Ren. Either it's Luke, or it's someone else. The thing that makes sense is the current Sith Lord, if not Luke, was Vader's apprentice.

ETA, never mind the spoilers. It's just spit balling.

View Quote

I think luke isn't vaders real son but is instead captain kirks, JJ is going to link the two series together

Link Posted: 11/7/2015 8:08:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

True, but they're making a big deal of Adam Driver playing Kylo Ren.  They didn't do that with Vader, the first guy that played him wasn't even an actor, just some bodybuilder in a suit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This caught my eye as well.  Tie Fighters flying out of the sun....too freakin' cool.

Really starting to believe the new Sith dude is really Luke.  Too many indicators going off in my head.

I hope not.

Kylo Ren is played by Adam Driver so...

Darth Vader was played by 3 different people.

True, but they're making a big deal of Adam Driver playing Kylo Ren.  They didn't do that with Vader, the first guy that played him wasn't even an actor, just some bodybuilder in a suit.

Could be, or they are making a big deal about it, to not ruin the surprise.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 2:15:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I think luke isn't vaders real son but is instead captain kirks, JJ is going to link the two series together

View Quote

New sith lord is Wil Wheaton.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 7:26:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 8:31:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I think the collective fan base would burn JJ's house to the ground.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

New sith lord is Wil Wheaton.

I think the collective fan base would burn JJ's house to the ground.

Honestly i would laugh my ass off, if i was a millionaire movie director i would totally troll the shit out of everyone.  

I love star wars and am stupid excited for this, but i would still see the humor in fucking with everyone like that
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 9:16:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 10:22:23 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I've been saying that for a long time.  Everything Ben and Yoda told him not to do he did.  He turned and yet would not submit to Palpatine, who realized he created a rival in Luke, not a servant.  Lots of little details in ESB and ROTJ point to this.  He begins to dress like a sith, lie, force choke, and do what he wants to get what he wants.  the caave episode on Degobah when he sees his won face in vaders helmet was not so much about vader being his father, but that he would turn.  He won the "fight", but yoda called it a failure

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So is Luke going to be a dark Jedi?  They haven't shown his face in any of the previews.  

Maybe Yoda was right about facing Vader and the Emperor before completing his training.

I've been saying that for a long time.  Everything Ben and Yoda told him not to do he did.  He turned and yet would not submit to Palpatine, who realized he created a rival in Luke, not a servant.  Lots of little details in ESB and ROTJ point to this.  He begins to dress like a sith, lie, force choke, and do what he wants to get what he wants.  the caave episode on Degobah when he sees his won face in vaders helmet was not so much about vader being his father, but that he would turn.  He won the "fight", but yoda called it a failure

Yup... ROTJ was originally Revenge and not Return.

Luke fell into the Darkside. But Luke falling into the Darkside is a good thing. He broke free of the stupid rules of the Jedi Order.

Before the purchase by Disney, the order being wiped out helped and in the EU it allowed Luke to establish a new order in which they went through the reformations like the church. Jedi could marry and have a family. Which itself led to new issues like Jedi Dynasties. But Luke's Order was Sith without Sith teachings.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 12:15:24 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

My guess is that Luke is in hiding. His screen time will be very minimal but used for a plot twist.
View Quote

I'm leaning toward this.  Either the speculation is true that he turned dark and is behind a mask now, or (my guess) he is used at or near the end of the movie after the new girl realizes her powers and he will be the master and she will be the apprentice as a teaser into the next movie.  He is in it, but not pivotal throughout the movie is why he didn't make the poster.  What shots have been revealed look very Obi-Wan like too.

Link Posted: 11/9/2015 12:25:02 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

What?

I'm referring to the fact that J. J. Abrams has to make the bad guys good, the good guys bad and only our rag tag group of hippies from both cultures can save the world from the evil capitalists on both sides.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What?

Well the Republic became the Empire (Good to Bad) now maybe the Rebels can turn the Empire back in the Republic it once was.

Link Posted: 11/9/2015 12:31:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Cant wait

Link Posted: 11/9/2015 12:45:45 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So is Luke going to be a dark Jedi?  They haven't shown his face in any of the previews.  

Maybe Yoda was right about facing Vader and the Emperor before completing his training.

Yeah, but Ben and Yoda don't exactly have a good track record as far as these things go.

Maybe Luke found a better path.

It'd be kind of a dick move to make him go evil, I think.

Link Posted: 11/9/2015 12:58:01 AM EDT
[#40]
My prediction is it will be "meh" like the rest of them.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 12:58:41 AM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes

Wrong pic. Thats not Carrie Fisher
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 1:02:56 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View Quote

meh would be a massive improvement over the last three.  

Link Posted: 11/9/2015 1:08:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 1:09:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly re-watching the original ones, they were kind of stupid too. But I was  a kid so that helped.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 1:10:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:I realize I made a mistake when I posted that. Let me rephrase; there is a Sith Lord. I doubt it's Kylo Ren. Either it's Luke, or it's someone else. The thing that makes sense is the current Sith Lord, if not Luke, was Vader's apprentice.

View Quote

Could it be the voice in the first teaser? Andy Serkis . "There's been an awakening. Can you feel it?" Could that be his voice telling Kylo Ren (his apprentice) he has felt an awakening?

Link Posted: 11/9/2015 1:17:01 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Honestly re-watching the original ones, they were kind of stupid too. But I was  a kid so that helped.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure, a bit.  The third one especially.  

The first two were a pretty good adventure story.

I'm pretty easy to please if you can hold off the massive plot holes, bad acting, and George Lucas.

Link Posted: 11/9/2015 1:33:19 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

It's almost as if that foolish looking robot was designed to be a top selling toy rather than a machine with a viable means of locomotion.
View Quote

On a desert planet, I'd say it's an ideal form of locomotion.

Can you think of a better way to get around on sand?
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 1:44:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Luke shows up in this but he is blue and shimmery.  Dead, he is dead.  But has lines like the other dead jedi.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 1:59:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's almost as if that foolish looking robot was designed to be a top selling toy rather than a machine with a viable means of locomotion.

In a society with shitloads of things which hover?
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 2:18:02 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you see how C-3PO and R2-D2 got around?  

It's definitely an improvement.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top