Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/7/2015 2:59:18 PM EDT
Sharing almost everything on Facebook has always been a bad idea, so it won't be a surprise when we reveal that a recent Financial Times article has confirmed that FICO, one of the companies that provide credit scoring software for banks, is testing an experimental algorithm that takes into account Facebook activity.

The information has been revealed by Will Lansing, FICO Chief Executive Officer, who says that his company is testing a pilot program that will allow banks and loan companies to assess users who have lived "off the grid" and have not produced enough financial transactions, with his company to calculate an accurate credit score.

Their program takes a look at Facebook profiles and searches for signs of reliability, economic history, or acts of credit "worthiness," like the number of times a person has said "wasted," for example.
While the data may not provide clear conclusions as far as an individual's ability to repay back debts is concerned, it is a source of information at which creditors can look as an alternative or last resort.
As Lansing explains, the US loan market is shrinking, and financial institutes are now looking at persons they would have not previously done business with. If this happens, these companies would like a way to assess these individuals and avoid litigious situations.

(more at link)

http://webscripts.softpedia.com/blog/saying-wasted-on-facebook-might-impact-your-credit-score-495746.shtml

Link Posted: 11/7/2015 3:00:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Lol.  Control control control!
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 3:02:17 PM EDT
[#2]
It'll never end. I'm surprised they're not already using which party we vote for...but they probably are.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 3:03:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Terrible idea is terrible.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm guessing people who are "off the grid" probably don't post on Facebook much either.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 3:10:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Boy they have nailed a home run with this idea.
I don't have any Social media account with a 800 plus FICO score.
Says everything about me living off the grid.
Maybe, Just maybe... If you want to know whats going on in my life you should CALL or Come by.
I swear I will be the only one (44 now) in the nursing home without a Social media account.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 3:11:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It'll never end. I'm surprised they're not already using which party we vote for...but they probably are.
View Quote

That's fine. Just one more way for dems to suffer.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 3:13:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Maybe, Just maybe... If you want to know whats going on in my life you should CALL or Come by.
I swear I will be the only one (44 now) in the nursing home without a Social media account.
View Quote

Your posting on ARFCOM!  
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 3:13:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I haven't updated my Facebook page since my girlfriend made it for me 4 like years ago so she could fill in the "in a relationship with" line on hers, all it has on it is a couple pictures of airplanes and whatever funny videos she linked while she was at work and bored that I never watched on Facebook because as soon as she gets home from work she makes me watch them on her laptop anyhow.

So I figure that I'm pretty safe from scrutiny because the financial programs will either think I'm Howard Hughes or that I don't actually exist.

But this is still a pretty Bad Idea when you think of all the implications, Philip K. Dick probably is shaking his head somewhere.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 3:16:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 3:20:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Your posting on ARFCOM!  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your posting on ARFCOM!  

Shhh....let's see if he can figure it out
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 3:22:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I dumped my Facebook account years ago and dumped my Twitter this past summer.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 3:23:59 PM EDT
[#12]
What if I don't have any social media accounts other than this site
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 3:24:05 PM EDT
[#13]
If they count  how many times I posted  FBHO,    my credit score  would be   -87.........  
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 3:24:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Sure , dump Facebook etc, but arfcom is still a form of social media.

So you better drop this too.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 3:25:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your posting on ARFCOM!  

But I don't post threads about stupid shit and look what my special snowflake has done for the school and my.....
And this technically isn't classified as "social media" such as FB, Twitter, etc.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 3:26:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

3000+ post in a year and a half says otherwise
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 3:28:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah they are really grasping at straws with this idea.  A social media site would be the very last place I would look to see if you are reliable enough to loan money to.  

Morons get what they deserve.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 3:29:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Arf is not social media.

It's anti-social media, so it doesn't count.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 3:32:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 3:33:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That? Oh that's just hindering and fueling the situation. Sure ain't helpin.
Kinda like when your kids wants to help you change a tire and ends up shining the flashlight more IN your eyes than on the wheels.
I was also told the GD is anything BUT social.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 3:34:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 3:42:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I heard of this years ago, when it first started in an Asian country. Iirc they figure in the credit scores of people you're friends with in your social network so I'd have to jettison some friends and family.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Holding people accountable for their debt is a good thing. It means cheaper credit for those of us dumb enough to pay their bills.
View Quote

Fiscal responsibility and Facebook are not the same thing, I know some very real wealthy individuals who are on Facebook regularly , writing some of the dumbest things you will ever read. It does not stop them from being fiscally responsible.  

Link Posted: 11/7/2015 3:44:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Arf is not social media.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/7/2015 3:53:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Holding people accountable for their debt is a good thing. It means cheaper credit for those of us dumb enough to pay their bills.
View Quote

Lol

Oh wait you're being serious.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 3:57:40 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm glad that I've stayed off of FB more and more every day.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 3:58:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We will end up paying for their bad borrowing habits, mark my words.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 4:00:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Free market at work.

Link Posted: 11/7/2015 4:00:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Hah! I hardly ever use that crap, pretty much only have my family as contacts and typically never post anything what so ever. Stick that in your algathwhatchamacallit!
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 4:01:46 PM EDT
[#30]
so if I do a find and replace of all my posts and change "wasted" to "inebriated", my FICO should be fine.  right?

I'm going to be busy.

Link Posted: 11/7/2015 4:02:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm guessing people who are "off the grid" probably don't post on Facebook much either.
View Quote

Not what you think it means.  Not survivalist in the wood guys.  Think....drug dealer who buys everything including large purchases in cash.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 4:04:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Not what you think it means.  Not survivalist in the wood guys.  Think....drug dealer who buys everything including large purchases in cash.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah or someone who is fiscally responsible and saves money to buy things they want or need.   Yeah crazy concept in the world of revolving credit.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 4:23:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yeah or someone who is fiscally responsible and saves money to buy things they want or need.   Yeah crazy concept in the world of revolving credit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL right. Mow when one chooses to refrain from the use of lenders and or revolving credit they are likened to criminals.

Link Posted: 11/7/2015 4:29:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Well I guess if someone named "FICO" sends you a Facebook friend request it would not be wise to accept it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Use a fake name.  Problem solved.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 4:40:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Yea we can't give you a loan you haven't posted enough on Facebook or tweeted enough.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 4:42:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Arf is not social media.

View Quote

Truf
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 4:52:59 PM EDT
[#38]
1. set up new FB account
2. invite people playing this same game
3. weekly post something about responsible financial actions
4. use this as your "reference account"
5. profit?
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 4:53:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Facebook has always given me the creeps.  Even in the Myspace days, by Googling you name I could find out everything about you by just Googling your name?  Who in their right mind would expose themselves like that?  Billions, apparently, and this douche from New Jersey is billionaire because of it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 4:53:29 PM EDT
[#40]
pay cash and you dont need a FICO score.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
pay cash and you dont need a FICO score.
View Quote

Cool, that works for everybody.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 5:06:25 PM EDT
[#42]
ARfcom is by definition a "social" media in that it involves communicating with other people.

However, in theory it's supposed to be anonymous and your employer or credit agency or gulag guard shouldn't be able to connect you with it. Experian shouldn't be able to say, "We need to check up on Thurston Poindexter's online activity and see if he's wasted. Hmmm...looks like he's known as "Diddy_Kiddler" on AR15.com. Huh. Welp, no credit for him!"

I've never even been to the Facebook website but, somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, isn't the primary idea behind Facebook to be able to keep up with/correspond with individual people mostly using their real names and information, etc.? I know you can have "private" settings where only specific people can see and post to your page, etc. It just seems to me that ARfcom and Facebook were originally intended for different purposes.

Link Posted: 11/7/2015 5:14:54 PM EDT
[#43]
I thought this was already being done.

I don't do facebook
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 6:37:42 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I know what they meant.  It still doesn't make sense.  That drug dealer probably doesn't care about his FICO score and probably has no interest in taking out a loan anyway.  I also doubt his or her Facebook friends will alter his credit score much.

And I still don't think people who seriously avoid credit/bills will have much of a social media presence.

Link Posted: 11/7/2015 6:38:33 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

LOL right. Mow when one chooses to refrain from the use of lenders and or revolving credit they are likened to criminals.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Stop hoarding money, you gotta suck the debt dick if you want a good score.

Link Posted: 11/7/2015 6:39:31 PM EDT
[#46]
don't have one.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 6:40:27 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Well great that you're not social but how many times did you post you were wasted on them prior to you dropping them?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I dumped my Facebook account years ago and dumped my Twitter this past summer.

Well great that you're not social but how many times did you post you were wasted on them prior to you dropping them?

I pretty much only used facebook to play Mafia Wars.

Link Posted: 11/7/2015 6:41:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 6:43:04 PM EDT
[#49]
GreenBastard has just updated his status

"Twatwaffles asspussy cunt shit asspiss Bob Saget."

I don't have Facetubepage because that's what everyone looks through when you look for a job, that and my ex-wife is obsessed with my life and uses it to harass my gf.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 6:44:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Yea we can't give you a loan you haven't posted enough on Facebook or tweeted enough.
View Quote

I don't even have a facebook or twitter account.

Honestly, I don't feel much need for one, other than maybe to sell shit on it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top