Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 8:50:12 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Question, when being put on this "list" do you get a trial?  I mean is there any due process to this removal of constitutional rights?
View Quote

Nope, and no procedure to get off the list once you are on it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 9:01:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I personally believe that felons SHOULD be able to.  Once they serve their debt to society, ALL rights should be restored.  If they cannot be trusted to purchase an item, then they cannot be trusted to be out of prison in the first place.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, felons and non citizens should not be able to.

I personally believe that felons SHOULD be able to.  Once they serve their debt to society, ALL rights should be restored.  If they cannot be trusted to purchase an item, then they cannot be trusted to be out of prison in the first place.

Link Posted: 12/6/2015 9:05:41 AM EDT
[#3]
American citizens are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Immigrants, I don't care if there not a citizen.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 9:12:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
No denial of rights without due process.
View Quote

This.

Link Posted: 12/6/2015 9:17:34 AM EDT
[#5]
if someone is suspected of terrorism arrest them and put them before a jury.  I'm pretty sure it s not going to work out well for them if there is any evidence at all.

Of course I don't want terrorists to have guns but the only way to allegedly accomplish it would be universal background checks and universal registration.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 9:20:34 AM EDT
[#6]
If they are suspected of terrorism they should have their day in court and be proven to be a terrorist or not. Then go from there.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#7]
First off the question is worded like some leftist slanted media poll designed to get a particular response.

It's not a "terrorist watch list" it's the "no fly list" they are talking about. The two terms evoke different levels of emotional response in the under-informed masses.

So we aren't even talking about suspected terrorists at all.

Weather or not someone should be "allowed" by the government is also framing the question incorrectly. Should they be prohibited is the better way to put it. Laws aren't written to allow us to do things, they prohibit you from doing certain things. By saying allow makes it seem like you are telling them "go ahead, it's ok".

The correct question would be: "Should the Government prohibit people on the no fly list from purchasing or possessing firearms?"

I added possessing too, because if you are prohibited from purchasing then you are prohibited from possessing them too. This means if you already have them, they will be coming to take them away.  

Now the idea that the government should be able to deny anyone a fundamental individual right by the mere fact that their name (or similar derivation of it in the case of Ted Kennedy) appears on a secret list that nobody can tell you how someone gets placed on it, who is actually on it, and no process to get your name off of it, should be completely abhorrent to any freedom loving person with more that two functioning brain cells to rub together.

Of course they word the question in the media though like the OP to play on emotions and mislead the idiots out there to get their desired goal. And they will paint the NRA as supporting the arming of terrorists when they oppose this. It's how the left always frames the debate. Saddly all too many her are dumb enough to fall for it.

Freedom will die at the sound of thunderous applause.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 9:21:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

+1

I think the government can put certain restrictions on gun purchases, as long as it's done through the formal channels of Congress and aren't out-right bans.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

While the 2nd is not absolute, prohibition based on a secret watch list constitutes a gross violation of due process.

+1

I think the government can put certain restrictions on gun purchases, as long as it's done through the formal channels of Congress and aren't out-right bans.

The federal government has ZERO constitutional authority to regulate firearms.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 9:30:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
if someone is suspected of terrorism arrest them and put them before a jury.  I'm pretty sure it s not going to work out well for them if there is any evidence at all.

Of course I don't want terrorists to have guns but the only way to allegedly accomplish it would be universal background checks and universal registration.
View Quote

I can't even figure how UBC and UR would stop the terrorists in San Bernadino. Unless they had already arrested the two for say bomb making, going to terrorist websites (currently not illegal)

It is a wonder NObama has not put everyone here on some terrorist list just for being on this site, being NRA members, owning guns or being Republicans. (Hitlery let the cat out of the bag on the last one)
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 10:53:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I can't even figure how UBC and UR would stop the terrorists in San Bernadino. Unless they had already arrested the two for say bomb making, going to terrorist websites (currently not illegal)

It is a wonder NObama has not put everyone here on some terrorist list just for being on this site, being NRA members, owning guns or being Republicans. (Hitlery let the cat out of the bag on the last one)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plus now it sounds like at least some of the guns were straw purchases.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Question, when being put on this "list" do you get a trial?  I mean is there any due process to this removal of constitutional rights?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You get something like a trial. You ask why/to be removed. A judge listens to what you have to say. FBI says they cannot say why you're on the list because "national security"/"state secrets". And the judge either says that's not good enough or tells you to bend over and just take it.

The current proposal (scroll down to or search for SA 2910) was sponsored by Diane Feinstein, who actually does have a history of being a National Security hawk but of course has a history of hating YOUR guns while she carries.

``If the person is subject to a
    disability under section 922(g)(10) of this title, any
    information which the Attorney General relied on for this
    determination may be withheld from the applicant if the
    Attorney General determines that disclosure of the
    information would likely compromise national security. In
    responding to the petition, the United States may submit, and
    the court may rely upon, summaries or redacted versions of
    documents containing information the disclosure of which the
    Attorney General has determined would likely compromise
    national security.''.

The bill really makes no damn sense at all. It actually requires the AG to notify the person, also known as tipping the terrorist off, before they can be denied a firearm purchase. Then you'd have a max of 60 days to petition a court to reverse the determination.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 1:19:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
First off the question is worded like some leftist slanted media poll designed to get a particular response.

It's not a "terrorist watch list" it's the "no fly list" they are talking about. The two terms evoke different levels of emotional response in the under-informed masses.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Incorrect. While O has been saying it's the "no fly list" (which people see as scarier), the actual scope of the legislation proposed is anyone the AG thinks should be blocked from buying a gun. You know, under "reasonable" and "appropriate" conditions. The "no fly" list is a subset of the larger Known and Suspected Terrorists database.

(1) by inserting after section 922 the following:

``Sec. 922A. Attorney General's discretion to deny transfer
      of a firearm

``The Attorney General may deny the transfer of a firearm
    under section 922(t)(1)(B)(ii) of this title if the Attorney
    General--
      ``(1) determines that the transferee is known (or
    appropriately suspected) to be or have been engaged in
    conduct constituting, in preparation for, in aid of, or
    related to terrorism, or providing material support or
    resources for terrorism; and
      ``(2) has a reasonable belief that the prospective
    transferee may use a firearm in connection with terrorism.

But know what else her bill would do? Allow the government to revoke existing FFLs for being or employing anyone with "ties" to terrorists.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 1:23:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Everybody that voted no is going on my fucking ignore list.

you people are willing to take away constitutionally guaranteed rights without due process of law based on some arbitrary list. There should not even be a no-fly list of American citizens.

you disgust me.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 1:24:13 PM EDT
[#14]
This poll should be unanimous since everyone on this site a suspected right wing terrorist.

In all seriousness, since there is no due process associated with putting someone on it, no rights should be infringed.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 1:28:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Suspected is not the same as guilty. ANYONE could be suspected and that is the problem.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 1:28:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Seriously?! This many in a gun forum are voting 'no'?!

We are doomed as a nation...

If you are a terrorist, you should be arrested.  If you are a suspected terrorist, you should get your day in court, and either rot in jail for the rest of your life or be free to live with the rights of a US citizen, depending on what that pesky jury of your peers votes on.  

Whatever happened to my Nation....

Edit: To those voting 'no': Should they be prevented from speaking/authoring any rhetoric deemed dangerous?  Should they be prevented from practicing their religion of choice?  Should police be able to search their person or home without a warrant?  WTF?!
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 1:38:39 PM EDT
[#17]
If a person is on the No Fly List or some terrorist watch list, and it is enough of a concern to deny them a Constitutional right, why not just remove them from the country instead?

But no, liberals want to go after all of us, remove our ability to defend ourselves and fail to protect us by keeping the 'dangerous' people living in our communities.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 4:32:49 PM EDT
[#18]
What is the process for adding people to it?  Do they get due process?  I don't want terrorists getting guns, but I'm pretty skeptical that the government won't go adding people they dislike all willy nilly.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What is the process for adding people to it?  Do they get due process? I don't want terrorists getting guns, but I'm pretty skeptical that the government won't go adding people they dislike all willy nilly.
View Quote

They're going to get guns anyways... laws are irrelevant to what evil men do.

Take responsibility for your own protection. You know terrorists are out there with guns, bombs, knives, etc... arm yourself.

Stay out of the way of everyone else arming themselves. I don't support forcing you to check with me (no matter what 'list' is checked) before you buy a gun, and I expect the same in return when I buy a gun.

Link Posted: 12/6/2015 9:47:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then my answer to the OP is yes, they should be allowed to own guns.  According to Hillary, we are all terrorists here.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 1:45:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What is the process for adding people to it?  Do they get due process?  I don't want terrorists getting guns, but I'm pretty skeptical that the government won't go adding people they dislike all willy nilly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

of a firearm

General--
    conduct constituting, in preparation for, in aid of, or
    transferee may use a firearm in connection with terrorism.

The current Attorney General just this weekend was threatening to arrest people for anything they said that would hurt muslims' feelings. Does that help?

The only other requirement would be NOTIFYING the suspected terrorist that they are going to be denied their next firearm purchase because the government thinks they're a terrorist. They literally want to tell terrorists "You better act fast, because we've got our eye on you. Wake up, Mr. Sleeper."
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 1:52:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
No deprivation of civil rights without due process.

Some arbitrarily constructed watchlist could hardly be construed as due process
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 1:54:07 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Yes, if only for the fact that placement on the list is arbitrary, and non-appealable.
View Quote
+1000

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 1:55:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Incorrect. While O has been saying it's the "no fly list" (which people see as scarier), the actual scope of the legislation proposed is anyone the AG thinks should be blocked from buying a gun. You know, under "reasonable" and "appropriate" conditions. The "no fly" list is a subset of the larger Known and Suspected Terrorists database.

But know what else her bill would do? Allow the government to revoke existing FFLs for being or employing anyone with "ties" to terrorists.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

of a firearm

General--
    conduct constituting, in preparation for
in aid of, or
    transferee may use a firearm in connection with terrorism

You, with the ammo fort and the pmags!  

And you with all those stripped lowers!

And all you three-gun motherfuckers...

40.5% of respondents don't know what they're agreeing to.    Kinda like making a deal with the Devil.   Nobody is clever enough to win that game.  I'm a little embarrassed to see that it has to be explained.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 1:58:27 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

According to the liberal’s military, veterans, and NRA members are terrorist so I’m going to go with no.
View Quote

Correct.
So how does a person qualify as a potential domestic terrorist?
Based on the training every Federal police officer and many state and local police officer in America has attended, here are
characteristics that qualify you to be suspected of being a terrorist.  I have seen this list in official training documents from the U.S. Army, FBI, and DHS:

• Expressions of libertarian philosophies (statements, bumper stickers)

• Second Amendment-oriented views (NRA or gun club membership, holding a CCW permit)

• Survivalist literature (fictional books such as "Patriots” and "One Second After” are mentioned by name)

• Self-sufficiency (stockpiling food, ammo, hand tools, medical supplies)

• Fear of economic collapse (buying gold and barter items)

• Religious views concerning the book of Revelation (apocalypse, anti-Christ)

• Expressed fears of Big Brother or big government

• Homeschooling

• Declarations of Constitutional rights and civil liberties

• Belief in a New World Order conspiracy

So NO, I do not believe these people should be denied the right to bear arms.  There is no way for you to know you are on one of these lists, and there is no mechanism for challenging your status on one of these lists. These lists to me are only a precursor.  This list is horrifying.  I know with certainty that had this list been published 30 years ago that every American and every media outlet would have considered it a joke or something that could only happen in some despotic country on the other side of the world. What benevolent reason could this list possibly serve?

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 2:03:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 2:09:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Were the San Bernardino terrorists even on the list?

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 2:18:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Were the San Bernardino terrorists even on the list?

View Quote

No they were not, they both flew into the country last year.

But don't let the facts destroy a good bait and switch gun grabbing argument.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 2:19:58 AM EDT
[#29]
I may get a good flaming for this but here goes:

I think that any American citizen who wants a gun, even a felon, ought to be able to get one. Felons pay their debt to society and if the prison and justice system feel they are ready to be released then they should get back ALL of their freedoms. Now, I'm not saying that a pedophile should live next to an elementary school or a certifiable nut should buy a glock ... I'm saying that people who have gone to prison and done their time should be given their freedom back all the way.

Unless you're a USA citizen ... fuck off. You don't buy a gun in America unless you're American.

And anyone can be added to that list. My wife, because of being born Irish and having a weird name, caught shit all the time while flying and would miss flights left and right due to red tape. She flies a lot due to her job and it was a nightmare. It took us YEARS to rectify it so she could fly without the hassle.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 2:26:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It always amazes me how many people on AR15.COM either don't understand what the Constitution actually says, or simply don't give a shit.

View Quote

The American Right loves to come up with this kind of BS to "fight dem turrurists". But then acts shocked when someone like BHO gets elected and uses it against them.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

you people are willing to take away constitutionally guaranteed rights without due process of law based on some arbitrary list. There should not even be a no-fly list of American citizens.

you disgust me.
View Quote

I wish there was a way to see who voted what.

I really hope the "nos" are trolling, if not, everyone who wants to own a firearm is fucked.

If literally 40% of non-DU plants voted this way in the face of the discussion here, the numbers (in the wild) of the uninformed masses will be staggering.

Too many people are ok with stuff that their politicians sell that seems to make sense, on face value.
Critical Thinking is becoming an obsolete skillset.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 9:02:10 PM EDT
[#32]
US Citizens - yes, becaues there are lots of people on the list by mistake and the fed gov will abuse it.

Non US citizens - no
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 9:02:51 PM EDT
[#33]
40% of ARF would trade the 2ndA for security. WOW
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 9:03:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

If anyone actually thinks a law will prevent a criminal from performing a criminal act, they haven't been paying attention.
Not a single "mass shooter" has been "on the list", and even if they had been, it wouldn't have stopped them from getting what they needed, somehow.

How logical, intelligent people buy this "if only there had been ANOTHER law" crap is beyond my understanding.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 9:13:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Problem is, it does not take dual process to be put on the no-fly list, and the no-fly list is choke full of error.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 9:17:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
While the 2nd is not absolute, prohibition based on a secret watch list constitutes a gross violation of due process.
View Quote

Correct.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 9:19:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If they think they are terrorists, why the fuck are they in this country?
View Quote

Some no doubt are citizens.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 9:21:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If anyone actually thinks a law will prevent a criminal from performing a criminal act, they haven't been paying attention.
Not a single "mass shooter" has been "on the list", and even if they had been, it wouldn't have stopped them from getting what they needed, somehow.

How logical, intelligent people buy this "if only there had been ANOTHER law" crap is beyond my understanding.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention that EVERY single person that EVER did ANYTHING to get on the list, or any list, wasn't on the list before. There is literally no way to prevent 'first-time offenders' and EVERYONE was a non-offender prior to being a 'first-time offender'. If people are on the list, but they haven't done anything, then one should be outraged at the government for oppressing it's people.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 2:37:36 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I really hope the "nos" are trolling, if not, everyone who wants to own a firearm is fucked.

If literally 40% of non-DU plants voted this way in the face of the discussion here, the numbers (in the wild) of the uninformed masses will be staggering.

Too many people are ok with stuff that their politicians sell that seems to make sense, on face value.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

you disgust me.

Nah.  The polls are too consistent.  

40% of arfcom is progressive to the core.

Link Posted: 12/8/2015 2:43:52 AM EDT
[#40]
No, the "no fly list" should not result in not being able to buy a gun. While at first glance it might sound like a good idea to those that aren't too informed I have issues with the list being used to further take away rights, and the no fly list in general too
What crime have they actually been convicted of? (probably none)
If you discover you're on it is there a way to be removed?
How to people get added?
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 3:33:37 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

This.  What's to stop them from putting everyone who subscribes to Soldier Of Fortune or Guns and Ammo or ARFCOM on the terror watch list?

And you'll never get off the list.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, if only for the fact that placement on the list is arbitrary, and non-appealable.

This.  What's to stop them from putting everyone who subscribes to Soldier Of Fortune or Guns and Ammo or ARFCOM on the terror watch list?

And you'll never get off the list.

Exactly.

If they are suspects, then figure it out, and deal with it.

Link Posted: 12/8/2015 1:44:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 1:57:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
40% of this poll's participants have less sack than the LA Times Editorial Board.  If you aren't shamed by that, you should be.
View Quote

Even better, that author admits he doesn't believe the 2nd amendment means what it says. He readily admits he thinks the Supreme Court was wrong in Heller.

And he still thinks you can't bar "suspected terrorists" from exercising 2nd amendment rights.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 2:11:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
No, the "no fly list" should not result in not being able to buy a gun. While at first glance it might sound like a good idea to those that aren't too informed I have issues with the list being used to further take away rights, and the no fly list in general too
What crime have they actually been convicted of? (probably none)
If you discover you're on it is there a way to be removed?
How to people get added?
View Quote

Many, many people in this country never get beyond "first glance".  
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 3:07:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Whats the process for being added to it?  I don't want people who are credible threats to be able to buy guns, but I don't trust the .gov not to abuse it and not just put people they don't like on it.  How long until they decide conservative gun owners are all domestic terrorists?  No thanks
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 3:11:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Whats the process for being added to it? I don't want people who are credible threats to be able to buy guns, but I don't trust the .gov not to abuse it and not just put people they don't like on it.  How long until they decide conservative gun owners are all domestic terrorists?  No thanks
View Quote

So you support an expanded FFL system, expanded NICS, and even further... universal background checks? Or do you just support the current FFL system?
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#47]
No due process, no removal of rights.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 4:33:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Even better, that author admits he doesn't believe the 2nd amendment means what it says. He readily admits he thinks the Supreme Court was wrong in Heller.

And he still thinks you can't bar "suspected terrorists" from exercising 2nd amendment rights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
40% of this poll's participants have less sack than the LA Times Editorial Board.  If you aren't shamed by that, you should be.

Even Slate thinks this is a bad idea...

And in other news - the ACLU, who has for five years argued that just the existence of a no-fly list by itself was unconstitutional. declined to take a position on denying gun sales to people on the no-fly list.  I'll let you assess the ACLU's commitment to civil liberties on your own.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

you disgust me.
View Quote

This. I was just getting ready to post this.

Link Posted: 12/11/2015 10:37:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
No denial of rights without due process.
View Quote

No further explanation or reason is necessary.  Denial of rights require due process.  As Trey Gowdy asked, are we suspending other rights for folks on this list.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top