Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 8:17:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Check out their engine. Finally US space travel won't be reliant on 70's era Soviet engines.

https://www.blueorigin.com/technology#engine_stories_1

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 8:24:55 AM EDT
[#2]
", in a carefully controlled descent, landed it upright just four and a half feet from the center of its launch pad.""
The way God and Robert Heinlein intended.!
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 8:25:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have either of you considered the impact to gays  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm sorry but how does this improve our relations with Muslims?

muslims?
why are you worried about that peace loving crowd.

it's the BLM crowd that is really going to be offended about this accomplishment.

Well...rockets ARE somewhat phallic in appearance, amirite?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 8:39:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

muslims?

it's the BLM crowd that is really going to be offended about this accomplishment.

I could see obama trying to hide that in his ass.

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 8:56:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Except, SpaceX still hasnt landed theirs from space.  BO seems to be doing it right.  Get to space: check  Get back into atmo: check Land rocket: check  

The orbital stuff can be fairly separate so far.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get back to me when they land a booster after putting their payload in orbit. Space does not mean orbit.

Pretty cool either way, but I see this as a stunt to claim the "first" title.

Except, SpaceX still hasnt landed theirs from space.  BO seems to be doing it right.  Get to space: check  Get back into atmo: check Land rocket: check  

The orbital stuff can be fairly separate so far.

True, but they are trying to land theirs on the way down from an actual operational boost phase after taking the upper stage (and their customer's payload) well on their way into orbit. It's going about mach 10 and hits an apogee of about 85 miles. Mind you that it has very substantial horizontal velocity.  SpaceX is taking a much larger rocket, and bringing it down accurately from a parabolic trajectory that is much higher than the BO rocket's apogee.

The BO rocket basically went straight up and came back down. You can't put these things in the same category. BO didn't accomplish anything - they pulled a stunt that SpaceX could have done several years ago if they weren't... You know... Building that system into a rocket that actually puts payloads in orbit.

The difficulty level of achieving a landing from an operational booster orders of magnitude larger than what BO had to work around, and the margins for error are orders of magnitude smaller. It's not even a comparison.

This is a basically a "Look at me!" stunt by a billionaire with an inferiority complex.  

I'd say this is like a contest between two 13 year old boys to see who can lose their virginity first. One claims to have done it after getting a blowjob, while the other actually got the tip in. On more than one occasion (just the tip though).

Sorry, if they were addressing the differences in difficulty between what each company is trying to do, this wouldn't have even made a headline.

I work in the space industry (no affiliation with either company) and I just have to call a spade a spade on this one.

Cool? Yes. A historic achievement? Technically. Have they actually outdone SpaceX in any way? Not even close!

Sorry for the rant. I was super excited when I read the headline, but then I read the article and was kind of sad about it

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 8:59:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is it right that the trade-off in carrying additional fuel and automation for the landing maneuver is offset by returning to the desired location in good condition?  

I get that the mass remaining on the way back down is greatly reduced from what there was at launch.
View Quote

In terms of cost? Absolutely. Enough to slash the cost of launching payloads in half, and that's a very conservative estimate.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:06:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

SpaceX does as does another company but I have not heard that Blue Origin has such a contract.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is capitalism at work. Not some mandated government outreach.

Actually they have a contract from the government to launch ISS resupply missions.

SpaceX does as does another company but I have not heard that Blue Origin has such a contract.

'Contract' may have been too generous a term.  More like the old DARPA development funding.  I thinks it's labeled 'technology demonstration development' or some such vague phrasing.  The SO works for Boeing and was discussing this the other night...

Better than shrimp on treadmills I guess.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:06:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Rocket is designed as ambiguously gay duo as possible.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

muslims?

Rocket is designed as ambiguously gay duo as possible.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:11:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Waste of fuel?
View Quote

Good point.  The fuel to land means reduced payload.  I can see it as a potentially useful when going to another planet, but does the cost of a reusable booster overcome the reduction of payload?  More rockets needed for the same weight...  

It still has the 'cool factor' and could hopefully lead to more technological breakthroughs.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:14:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
....do you know how a space program works?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get back to me when they land a booster after putting their payload in orbit. Space does not mean orbit.

No he doesn't.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:17:40 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
We can have them gather around to catch it if it falls over I guess.

Refuges need something to do you know
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:30:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
No he doesn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No he doesn't.
Shoot, even in KSP I don't just shoot for Eeloo right off the bat

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:36:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No he doesn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No he doesn't.

lol

Let me clarify - I think it's awesome that they were able to do this, but they are representing in a way that exaggerates what they accomplished.

And since you are so knowledgeable about space programs, feel free to educate me
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:01:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

lol

Let me clarify - I think it's awesome that they were able to do this, but they are representing in a way that exaggerates what they accomplished.

And since you are so knowledgeable about space programs, feel free to educate me
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No he doesn't.

lol

I can't really fault them for that too much. They are trying to look good to potential investors that are needed to keep the ball rolling and paychecks flowing. We can't look at something like NASA and say "well these guys did this so xxxxx company should be at the same level." NASA had a pretty much blank check for years until we landed on the moon and that gave them the ability to get resources and learn fast. Do you think they are going to share what they know with a private company? Of course they aren't. The only way a private company doesn't have to relearn and go through a lot of the same growing pains that NASA did is if they can sway enough NASA engineers that already have access to the knowledge away from their gov jobs. Otherwise they are pretty much starting at square 1 and decades behind the curve. Think of it like trying to reverse engineer an F16 in the 1950s. You know it's possible to do x,y, and z  but exactly how to get to each step is a bit of a learning experience.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:22:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:23:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:26:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:37:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Is SpaceX still doing launches? I haven't seen them in the news much since their rocket blew up.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:39:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:45:19 AM EDT
[#20]
That should put a burr under Space-X's saddle.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Threads like this always make me sad at the pervasive ignorance.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:01:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That should put a burr under Space-X's saddle.
View Quote

Returning from putting a payload into orbit is a much bigger endeavor than just going straight up 100km.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:19:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They [SpaceX} got one coming up in a week or so.
View Quote

orbital is launching a resupply mission to the ISS on 3 Dec using an Atlas V.  Their rocket blew up at Wallops (?) in the not too distant past.

My recollection is fuzzy but I think they were using Soviet engines and decided to quit using them.   I don't know what their return to flight schedule is nor that for SpaceX.

SpaceX attributed their failure to a structural member failing.  That might be easier to redesign and procure than new engines.  Here is info on the SpaceX failure:

Source

" The company identified a two-foot steel strut that was holding down the helium pressure vessels that snapped due to acceleration force. There was a mere 0.89 seconds between when a problem was noticed and when the explosion happened.

The part that failed was from a supplier, although Musk would not name the company. He did say that company would likely switch suppliers. "
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:26:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I was wrong about Orbital's Antares rocket engines.   They will be using what I assume are more modern RD-181 engines versus the decades old AJ26 engines.  I wonder what impact the Congressional action on using Russian rocket engines has on the Antares.  There is another commercial rocket that has used Russian engines.

Source
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:26:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you even Algebra bro?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:49:26 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Threads like this always make me sad at the pervasive and willful ignorance.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:01:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Elon Musk would be surprised to find out it is.  Also Boeing and the RS-68 that powers the Delta IV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Elon Musk would be surprised to find out it is.  Also Boeing and the RS-68 that powers the Delta IV.

When is the last time a US engine was used to launch people into orbit? When is the last time NASA launched a person up?

And this.... http://www.space.com/26551-us-military-launches-russian-rocket-engines.html
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:36:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:43:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I know Jeff Bezos can tend to be a lefty loon, but damn, he is quite possibly the most visionary man alive right now.

Even with Amazon, I am continuously amazed at how much they've innovated retail distribution.
If we ever want to see colonies in space. it's going to come from guys like Bezos and not the fed.gov
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:51:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Doesn't change a thing about what I said and you are moving the goalposts.

Let me move one back:

http://www.engadget.com/2015/11/20/nasa-orders-spacex-to-taxi-astronauts-to-the-iss-in-2017/

They will be putting people into orbit years before they ride a BE-4 there.  The BE-4 won't even be finished with it's development when Dragon 2.0 carries Astronauts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When is the last time a US engine was used to launch people into orbit? When is the last time NASA launched a person up?

And this.... http://www.space.com/26551-us-military-launches-russian-rocket-engines.html

Doesn't change a thing about what I said and you are moving the goalposts.

Let me move one back:

http://www.engadget.com/2015/11/20/nasa-orders-spacex-to-taxi-astronauts-to-the-iss-in-2017/

They will be putting people into orbit years before they ride a BE-4 there.  The BE-4 won't even be finished with it's development when Dragon 2.0 carries Astronauts.

OK. Still doesn't change the fact that we are still reliant on ancient Soviet shit to launch our people into orbit.

Thanks for espousing your knowledge that there are other companies building stuff.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top