Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2015 6:08:35 PM EDT

In a new interview with People, President Obama said Kendrick Lamar's "How Much a Dollar Cost"—from this year's To Pimp a Butterfly—was his favorite song of 2015. (Meanwhile, First Lady Michelle Obama's favorite song was Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars' "Uptown Funk".)

If there was any doubt Obama was our hippest president, let it be immediately dispelled.

http://pitchfork.com/news/62469-president-obama-says-kendrick-lamars-how-much-a-dollar-cost-was-his-favorite-song-of-2015/

Link Posted: 12/9/2015 6:11:43 PM EDT
[#1]

What fucking surprise. Fuck Obama and his ugly as fuck "wife"
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Why do you care OP?
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#3]
They like dumb people music, shocking.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#4]
His desperate pandering to the facebook generation is almost as sad as the fact that they swallow it, lick their lips, and ask for seconds.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 6:16:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Lots of old codgers going to out themselves in this thread.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 6:16:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

What kind of music do you listen to?
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 6:17:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If there was any doubt Obama was our hippest president, let it be immediately dispelled.
View Quote

Funny, but I was never really worried about that.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 6:21:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why do you care OP?
View Quote

Obama is the one who put it out there, why does he think it is so important for us to know?

Link Posted: 12/9/2015 6:49:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol true

Kendrick Lamar is actually pretty good. Not like some questionable members of the rap game like Rich Homie Quan...

MAAD City is a great album and would actually shock some Arfcommers in realizing that they share some of the same ideas and attitudes of the black community and gun ownership as he does.

That said, I will proclaim that some Arfcommers will experience heads exploding considering that this song has a very Christian message. This was a very measured and conscious announcement made by Zero...
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 8:43:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Obama is the one who put it out there, why does he think it is so important for us to know?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why do you care OP?

and OP posted it here. Why does OP think it's so important for us to know?
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 8:54:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Kendrick is actually a pretty good artist.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 8:54:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know. . . it's all just clicks and whistles to me
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 8:55:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Lol true

Kendrick Lamar is actually pretty good. Not like some questionable members of the rap game like Rich Homie Quan...

MAAD City is a great album and would actually shock some Arfcommers in realizing that they share some of the same ideas and attitudes of the black community and gun ownership as he does.

That said, I will proclaim that some Arfcommers will experience heads exploding considering that this song has a very Christian message. This was a very measured and conscious announcement made by Zero...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol true

lol and what's the subtle and deep message to "King Kunta"

Lets not pretend Zero has anything that resembles taste when it comes to music.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 9:06:42 PM EDT
[#14]
The song relates a parable from the bible, btw...
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#15]
All I know is my dollar don't buy as much as it use to.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 9:21:13 PM EDT
[#16]
DILLIGAF
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 9:30:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Lol true

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol true

That song was not my cup of tea. I found it quite boring and a re-hash of a re-hash of a re-hash (music, not lyrics). Obama is so hip. So cool. Such a smooth Daddy-O. He understands the imperialist America that I can't because of my privilege.

Link Posted: 12/10/2015 11:21:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with samo38..

I listen to Hayden, Wagner, Mozart, etc...........

No, those are not rappers.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 11:22:45 AM EDT
[#19]
So hip, so cool.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 11:28:13 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't know if Kendrick Lamar is good or not, don't really care either way. What I do find a bit weird is that a 50-something year old man listens to current hip hop...I'm not even close to that old and every band I listen to has been around for at least a decade.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 11:31:29 AM EDT
[#21]
I just wish if a president was asked what his favorite song was he'd say something like "Prison Sex" by Tool, "Last" by Nine Inch Nails, or "Deformography" by Marilyn Manson.

How fucking awesome would that be?
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 11:38:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Track is full of backmasking.  Run it backwards.

Link Posted: 12/10/2015 11:42:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't know if Kendrick Lamar is good or not, don't really care either way. What I do find a bit weird is that a 50-something year old man listens to current hip hop...I'm not even close to that old and every band I listen to has been around for at least a decade.
View Quote

Is it the genre or the time period you find weird?  Except for the fact that most current hip-hop sucks, why wouldn't want keep current within their preferred music styles?
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 12:13:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

To each their own....

People obviously like his stuff, so he must be doing something right.

"I'm a fucking genius
Gripping my fucking penis"
       -Kendrick Lamar.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 12:19:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Kendrick's awesome.

Quoted:

I agree with samo38..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with samo38..

I'll bet hanging out with you would be an absolute riot.

Link Posted: 12/10/2015 12:29:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Kind of sounds like Macklemore
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 12:35:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Kendrick's awesome.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Kendrick's awesome.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with samo38..

I am a pretty fungi.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 12:41:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Picked by a staffer to pander to his ghetto trash constituents. Doubtful he had heard of this person.

Link Posted: 12/10/2015 12:43:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Is it the genre or the time period you find weird?  Except for the fact that most current hip-hop sucks, why wouldn't want keep current within their preferred music styles?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mostly the time period. Most people when they get older don't find most modern music as relatable as the stuff they grew up with.....I still listen to modern stuff but it's overwhelmingly new stuff from older bands.  I guess what makes it weird to me is that my dad isn't much older than Barry, but I keep trying to picture him telling me Kendrick Lamar's album was his favorite from this year, lol.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 12:50:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I am a pretty fungi.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kendrick's awesome.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with samo38..

I am a pretty fungi.

Problem with those artists is as good as they were, they don't tour anymore and all their cover/tribute bands sound exactly the same.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 12:51:07 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote

Who you calling old.

Link Posted: 12/10/2015 12:54:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

To each their own....

"I'm a fucking genius
       -Kendrick Lamar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To each their own....

"I'm a fucking genius
       -Kendrick Lamar.

That's not a Kendrick lyric, but it's pretty good.  You can read it on two levels:

"I think I'm really smart / derp derp penis": the contradiction describes how he is seen, or even how he sees himself:  skilled at what he does but rough or unappreciated as garbage.

or

"I'm great at fucking / this is my fucking tool"
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 12:56:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Mostly the time period. Most people when they get older don't find most modern music as relatable as the stuff they grew up with.....I still listen to modern stuff but it's overwhelmingly new stuff from older bands.  I guess what makes it weird to me is that my dad isn't much older than Barry, but I keep trying to picture him telling me Kendrick Lamar's album was his favorite from this year, lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I embarrassingly find myself in the "new music is shit" crowd, but there are new artists that rise above the noise and they'll get regular rotation on my playlists.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 1:02:49 PM EDT
[#34]
So, fbo is a hard core player?
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 1:03:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That's not a Kendrick lyric, but it's pretty good.  You can read it on two levels:

"I think I'm really smart / derp derp penis": the contradiction describes how he is seen, or even how he sees himself:  skilled at what he does but rough or unappreciated as garbage.

or

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To each their own....

"I'm a fucking genius
       -Kendrick Lamar.

or

Ah, either way, I kinda every time I heard that in GTA 5.

As for the guy himself, he's got a few songs that I kinda like. I'm not a big hiphop guy though. That being said, I'll listen to anything once.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 1:03:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 1:04:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

T think my dad quit listening to new music at about 20. And he didn't even really like the good music of his time.  No Zeppelin,  no Sabbath,  no Pink Floyd.  Mostly John Denver,  Jim Croce,  James Taylor and Elton John.  I guess he has listened to some country over the years.  

I just turned 40 and I'm constantly looking for new music or artists. I get bored pretty easily. I have no doubt I will be listening to new music from all genres including hip hop 10 years from now.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 1:05:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Picked by a staffer to pander to his ghetto trash constituents. Doubtful he had heard of this person.  
View Quote

White middle class suburban teenagers?
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 1:07:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I just wish if a president was asked what his favorite song was he'd say something like "Prison Sex" by Tool, "Last" by Nine Inch Nails, or "Deformography" by Marilyn Manson.

View Quote

or Slayer
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 1:08:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

or Slayer
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 1:08:20 PM EDT
[#41]
No fucks
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 1:12:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I embarrassingly find myself in the "new music is shit" crowd, but there are new artists that rise above the noise and they'll get regular rotation on my playlists.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear you. I can never figure out if new music sucks or if I just don't "get it". My wife listens to pop music so I get to hear it quite a bit, and if I'm objective, I can see the talent and skill. But, I mostly find the lyrics weak....of course maybe that's because I like good storytelling/lyrically driven music. Which mostly leaves me listening to Clutch, 90's gangsta rap, and Texas country.....weird combination I know, but it works for me.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 1:13:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Lol true

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol true

I've listened to Kendrick Lamar and he, like any other hip hop artists of today, can't rap for shit and his lyrics compared to someone like public enemy, mobb deep, or tupac mean nothing (ex: swimming pools). I've listened to a lot of rap and I will honestly say rap pretty died around the mid 2000's. If u like Kendrick thats fine and good for u, but to say it's rap is a joke. Everything from the lyrics to the beat do not resemble rap
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 1:40:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I've listened to Kendrick Lamar and he, like any other hip hop artist today, can't rap for shit and his lyrics compared to someone like public enemy, mobb deep, or tupac mean nothing.
View Quote

I respectfully disagree.  I like Mobb Deep and they tell gritty stories but they're not lyricists.  As for Tupac I can't take seriously someone that write a song about "respecting our ladies" after catching a rape conviction

Most critics agree that Kendrik is one of the best rappers out there right now.

(I like Macklemore because he tells some moving and funny stories, but he's not a great rapper.  Same for Childish Gambino, who does have some interesting innuendos but is not a great rapper.)
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Uptown Funk is a fun song.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 1:51:42 PM EDT
[#46]
No 5FDP? I am shocked!

Well, maybe not.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 1:54:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I respectfully disagree.  I like Mobb Deep and they tell gritty stories but they're not lyricists.  As for Tupac I can't take seriously someone that write a song about "respecting our ladies" after catching a rape conviction

(I like Macklemore because he tells some moving and funny stories, but he's not a great rapper.  Same for Childish Gambino, who does have some interesting innuendos but is not a great rapper.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've listened to Kendrick Lamar and he, like any other hip hop artist today, can't rap for shit and his lyrics compared to someone like public enemy, mobb deep, or tupac mean nothing.

Everyones entitled to their own opinions obviously and we all interpret songs differently. I admit when I was in high school my friends and I would listen to todays hip hop including Kendrick, but when I started working with people from the generation of older rap and listened to that rap, I immediately noticed the difference and how they actually tell/relate to current events and their lives in their songs. Again, I have been listening to older rap for about the last 5 years and my opinion has shifted. Todays rap just seems repetitive in their message (ex: cars, money, drug, women)

I'll also add that todays "rap" has taken a turn in terms of "street cred". It seems you no longer need to be from the crack slung ghetto or be a gangbanger to be a artist, example: Drake. Not saying its right to be a criminal, but it at least adds truth to their lyrics.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 1:55:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Meh, he kicks it with Jay Z and the like. . . I'm guessing there's some truth behind his decision.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 2:12:24 PM EDT
[#49]
That sounds more like poetry recital than a song.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top