Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone know of any video up yet?

https://youtu.be/KgaWHnY2Ph8

The fellas in the short sleeve white shirts, thin ties, and black framed glasses didn't dance and hug in Mission Control.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:56:57 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:57:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Question:

Are they going to try to launch this particular stage 1 again in an actual commercial launch, take it completely apart to inspect it, launch it again in just a test launch, or what?
View Quote

IIRC the eventual plan is to partially fuel the first stage in Florida, then launch it back to Texas for inspection/refurbishment.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:57:12 PM EDT
[#4]
FUCK YEAH!!!

Way to go SpaceX!!!

Just witnessed history in the making!
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:57:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Amazing.

I just watched this with my three year old, who was just as excited watching this historic event as I was. That was very fulfilling.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:57:33 PM EDT
[#6]
That was fantastic! Kiss our ass, Putin!

I would love to work for Space-X. Bet it would be a hell of a lot more fun than those years at NASA were.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:57:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Bastage!

Too many clouds around me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Saw it from Miami. Barely, but I saw it.

Bastage!

I'm in St. Cloud and the clouds kinda ruined it too.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:57:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They showed the landing on SpaceX Webcast.
View Quote

I watched that feed and those rocket scientists are going to party hardy tonight.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:57:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:58:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Saw the first stage come back and land from my front yard! Historic!!!!

I thought it had blown up, but it was a double sonic boom. Just like the Shuttle.
View Quote
video?

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:58:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The fellas in the short sleeve white shirts, thin ties, and black framed glasses didn't dance and hug in Mission Control.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone know of any video up yet?

https://youtu.be/KgaWHnY2Ph8

We're a more loving nation today, but we still kick ass.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:59:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm beyond astonished. I watched the first stage of a fucking space rocket LAND ITSELF ON A CONCRETE PAD for reuse. Live.

Holy. Shit.

'Murica.
View Quote

This is as close to a real life Zephram Cochrane moment as we will see in the near to intermediate future.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:59:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

video?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought it had blown up, but it was a double sonic boom. Just like the Shuttle.
video?  

Top of this page.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:59:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I watched that feed and those rocket scientists are going to party hardy tonight.

Chris
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

Alot of engineers and scientists are getting laid tonight.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:00:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

IIRC the eventual plan is to partially fuel the first stage in Florida, then launch it back to Texas for inspection/refurbishment.

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Question:

Are they going to try to launch this particular stage 1 again in an actual commercial launch, take it completely apart to inspect it, launch it again in just a test launch, or what?

Kharn

Well now they are just getting cocky...
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:00:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:01:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm not sure I'll ever get to see men walk on another planet, but that was pretty damn impressive.
View Quote

Well it just got a whole lot more likely you will.

Reusable rockets are a big deal.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

Yeah, with their avatars. ;)
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:02:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
  Top of this page.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

video?  

Top of this page.  

I wanted video from his yard

every live video of this event is priceless, if you just stood there, well...
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:02:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not sure I'll ever get to see men walk on another planet, but that was pretty damn impressive.

That first stage burn-back, reentry and landing was fucking awesome!
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:04:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I would love to work for Space-X. Bet it would be a hell of a lot more fun than those years at NASA were.
View Quote

I'm gonna go ahead and be a massive buzzkill and point out that Space-X has a pretty bad reputation as a place to work.

Ridiculous hours, unrealistic expectations, low pay, poor benefits, very high turnover, and it's all justified by saying "but look at all the cool stuff you're doing!"
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:05:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

video?  

Top of this page.  

Had my binocs, no video.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:06:04 PM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:07:24 PM EDT
[#24]
It takes some smart fucking people to do that.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:07:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Saw it from Miami. Barely, but I saw it.

Bastage!

pretty good view here from the Indian river, took me a moment to realize that sonic boom was it landing, the sound hit the river well after the rocket had landed.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:08:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm gonna go ahead and be a massive buzzkill and point out that Space-X has a pretty bad reputation as a place to work.

Ridiculous hours, unrealistic expectations, low pay, poor benefits, very high turnover, and it's all justified by saying "but look at all the cool stuff you're doing!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Literally everyone I interface with there is absolutely jacked to be on board. They're the Google of the aerospace world.  Which tends to be a stressful and exacting world to operate in.

Triumph of the free market right there.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:08:58 PM EDT
[#27]
FUCKING AMAZING!
I gotta admit, I was jumping around screaming when I saw that touchdown. Also while Jeff Bezos comment just now was pretty funny, and Blue Origin is doing some amazing shit, its not even on the same level as this. History was just made.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:09:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

video?  

Top of this page.  

Every shuttle follower used to say the same thing to those watching a launch for the first time;  put the glass/camera down and witness it with your eyes;  you'll never forget what you see, and no film/video will ever compare.

Absolutely true, and I wish I had gone to more than just the last launch of Discovery.

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you see the re-entry burn or just the one as it landed?   Did you get video?
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:09:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Murica.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:10:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Thats gotta be pretty bad ass knowing you made something that went on that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hallelujah. I've got 26 main bearings on that thing and my asshole puckers every time one goes up.

Wait for falcon heavy 2q 2016, twice the payload capacity.

I saw a technological triumph of the free market here - and dollar signs for the next 48 months of bearing business!

Thats gotta be pretty bad ass knowing you made something that went on that.

Yup. This is all a massive lead up to a manned flight 3q 2017.  There's pictures of 4 astronauts hanging all over our facility to remind us that our failure could be their ass.

It's really neat to even be a small cog in that wheel.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:10:49 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Literally everyone I interface with there is absolutely jacked to be on board. They're the Google of the aerospace world.  Which tends to be a stressful and exacting world to operate in.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.  Nobody is forced to work there, but it's almost impossible to get hired because everybody wants to.

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:13:26 PM EDT
[#33]
I did not see the re-entry burn. Either it was too high or it happened when I stepped inside for 30 seconds to get a status on the Webcast. I did see the final, landing burn and it was very impressive. And the sonic boom, well I wasn't expecting that.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:14:41 PM EDT
[#34]
I cant believe that was not on the nasa channel... WTF
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:15:05 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

FUCKING AMAZING!

I gotta admit, I was jumping around screaming when I saw that touchdown. Also while Jeff Bezos comment just now was pretty funny, and Blue Origin is doing some amazing shit, its not even on the same level as this. History was just made.
View Quote

Yeah...what a doucher.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:15:34 PM EDT
[#36]
So damn cool!!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:15:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I cant believe that was not on the nasa channel... WTF
View Quote

Spacex holds the cards very close to their chest.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:15:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yep.  Nobody is forced to work there, but it's almost impossible to get hired because everybody wants to.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This ^^^
Yeah they are a hard place to work, and I don't think anyone is denying it. Everyone I know that works there or wants to just sees that as the price for being a part of things like what we just saw.
And yeah, interviewing with them is a bitch. I've done two with them, my buddy's done three. They'll only interview the best of the best, and out of those you only have a 5% chance of being hired. That number straight from one of their directors in Texas.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:18:13 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Every shuttle follower used to say the same thing to those watching a launch for the first time;  put the glass/camera down and witness it with your eyes;  you'll never forget what you see, and no film/video will ever compare.

Absolutely true, and I wish I had gone to more than just the last launch of Discovery.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely.  I saw the 4th launch of Atlantis back when I was a youngster.  I still remember the sound.  

One day I hope to witness another launch.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:18:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

that is an interesting question, have to wonder what the first company will be to put their billion dollar satellite on a used rocket
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Question:

that is an interesting question, have to wonder what the first company will be to put their billion dollar satellite on a used rocket

NASA put up Space Shuttles on used and refurbished solid rocket boosters.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:18:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This ^^^
Yeah they are a hard place to work, and I don't think anyone is denying it. Everyone I know that works there or wants to just sees that as the price for being a part of things like what we just saw.
And yeah, interviewing with them is a bitch. I've done two with them, my buddy's done three. They'll only interview the best of the best, and out of those you only have a 5% chance of being hired. That number straight from one of their directors in Texas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This ^^^

I know someone who works for them, he's worked hard, but loves the job! what's that saying by mike row, work smart, and hard?
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:19:10 PM EDT
[#42]
This is cool as fuck.  Wish I couldve watched the webcast.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:20:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Question:

And used and refurbished Shuttle Main Engines (SSME).
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:20:25 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

have to wonder what the first company will be to put their billion dollar satellite on a used rocket
View Quote

That's why they buy insurance.

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:20:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Excellent.
I ARE Human, Woman at 22:00 minutes or so,
Could talk geek to me forever, her terminology......
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:21:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gee you mean sorta like NASA from 1960-1973...
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:25:52 PM EDT
[#47]
KSP design wins again!
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:27:15 PM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:27:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
they just did

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Makes you wonder why they even fucked around with the barge landings.

I don't think the government would let them do a landing on shore.
they just did

Yeah, we were talking about the barge landings.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:27:55 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Haha so they turned down your job application? Or are you working for one of their thoroughly bureaucratized and unionized competitors? Or did a SpaceX engineer steal your boyfriend??

"Unrealistic expectations" indeed - just a few years ago nobody would have made a bet on a powered-return first stage. But Elon Musk bet his own money on it and succeeded.

Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top