Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2015 8:52:53 PM EDT
Anyone experienced with golf ball cannons/mortars?  I've been checking out a few on Google, and they look like they would a lot of fun.  Looks like most take a charge of around 85-125 grains of FFG, any ideas of the range with a standard golf ball?
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 8:59:51 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Anyone experienced with golf ball cannons/mortars?  I've been checking out a few on Google, and they look like they would a lot of fun.  Looks like most take a charge of around 85-125 grains of FFG, any ideas of the range with a standard golf ball?
View Quote
125gr?

I reloaded like 7.0gr of reddot

It you shoot it too fast it will dog leg.

Link Posted: 12/28/2015 9:03:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Someone posted a video of a golfball cannon they got from here: http://blackpowder-cannons.com/

I just have a 50cal black powder cannon, though I am thinking of buying from the above also.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 9:05:36 PM EDT
[#3]

I have a golf ball mortar made by the guy who made most of my handgonne barrels. I painted it but I still haven't built a bed for it. One of several small projects to complete in the new year.

Link Posted: 12/28/2015 9:11:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Golf ball, no. .50cal lead ball, yes.

I used chrome molly hydraulic pistons/rams from DitchWitches that were laying around, strong steel, and the barrel walls are WAAY thicker than they needed to be, I don't think you could blow one up unless you tried REAL hard...Like threaded the muzzle and screwed a bolt in it hard.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 9:18:28 PM EDT
[#5]
What would be the legal ramifications if I decided to build/fabricate my own?  I'm sure I can find golf balls fairly cheap, and I have several pounds of Pyrodex RS and Triple 7 laying around.  From a legal standpoint, any difference in fabbing one up that uses a fuse versus primer ignition?
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 9:36:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What would be the legal ramifications if I decided to build/fabricate my own?  I'm sure I can find golf balls fairly cheap, and I have several pounds of Pyrodex RS and Triple 7 laying around.  From a legal standpoint, any difference in fabbing one up that uses a fuse versus primer ignition?
View Quote

Makes no difference. It's just a muzzleloader barrel.

Link Posted: 12/28/2015 9:39:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Uh well I know a thing or two about them.  They be FUN

I have built many different models. As for legal ramifications, don't build to sell. Also read up on it before using any ole type of steel for a barrel. I always used solid round stock 4140 or 4150 steel.
A great source of information can be found at GreyBeardOutdoors.com, look under Black powder cannons and mortars.

Word of caution DO NOT *%#@ AROUND with these and get careless. Search cannon and mortar accidents. Bad juju can happen.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 9:41:16 PM EDT
[#8]
OH I need one of those. Im on property out in the boonies, could light one of those off with no worries.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 9:41:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Please, elaborate...;)
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I like mine. It can shoot pretty far, but I am not sure of distance. I load alot hotter than that and fire hunter orange painted balls off the beach. I never see where they land but boy do they fly. That is my small one, I have few more circa 1860 that can shoot 6 lbs. projectiles. Now that is fun.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 10:15:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have built many different models. As for legal ramifications, don't build to sell. Also read up on it before using any ole type of steel for a barrel. I always used solid round stock 4140 or 4150 steel.
A great source of information can be found at GreyBeardOutdoors.com, look under Black powder cannons and mortars.

Word of caution DO NOT *%#@ AROUND with these and get careless. Search cannon and mortar accidents. Bad juju can happen.
View Quote

My Boy Scout troop in Connecticut had one that fired cement-filled cans. That ended when one of the scouts lost a hand.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 10:20:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 10:26:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I seem to remember a scout being injured awhile ago. That's why I say "BECAREFUL". I had one of mine at a friends farm a few years back on the 4th of July. We were getting ready to fire it off after dark. The cannon was pointed in a safe direction across the pasture. Well dark came, we fired the cannon and his cows broke down the fence an hauled ass. That was the first AND last 4th I will be spending chasing damn cows.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 10:50:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, I can see the inherent danger in something like this...easy way to lose some important body parts if you aren't careful.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 10:57:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Aw, skip that get right to a bowling ball mortar. There is nothing like 16 lbs. going out of sight and landing 400+ yards down range. They whistle real nice on their journey.
Built mine out of an old O2 tank. I fire it off with a 22 blank and a long chain. Only problem When I moved I dumped the 16 bowling balls I had in NJ. Now the only one I have is my wife's( she'll never use it).
I was able to pick them up at garage sales for 2-5 bucks. Down here the good old boys don't get rid of nothing!
I did have an old Carcano rifle I converted to shoot .308 blanks with a section of 1 1/2"( I think)  pipe attached to the bbl it would shoot a golf ball out of sight
Have fun but be careful
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 11:04:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

The few I sold I made the buyer sign a disclaimer stating that it was a "signal cannon only" and was not designed to fire a projectile, and that I was not liable for anything they did with it. That said a .50cal lead ball w/patch fit perfectly and they were over built to hell and back... seriously you would HAVE to try real hard to blow one up. as in thread the muzzle and screw in a bolt. In general though muzzle loaded cannons are 100% legal. Local laws may come into effect though I suppose. Now if you make a breach loaded cannon... that can get your ass in trouble. I'm sure it can be done legally, but I'm sure there is some paper work to fill out, no idea what.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 11:07:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Holy hell, bowling balls may be a little out of my league...I'm still at the baby steps stage! ;)
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 11:10:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 8:17:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I seem to remember a scout being injured awhile ago. That's why I say "BECAREFUL". I had one of mine at a friends farm a few years back on the 4th of July. We were getting ready to fire it off after dark. The cannon was pointed in a safe direction across the pasture. Well dark came, we fired the cannon and his cows broke down the fence an hauled ass. That was the first AND last 4th I will be spending chasing damn cows.
View Quote

It was a long time ago, wish I could recall the details better. I was pretty young. This is all I can find online about it:

"1967 Premature Ignition. Connecticut. Boy Scout loses arm while serving as No. 1 man on gun crew during an event held at a stadium. Crew had previously participated in many competitive shooting events."
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 8:26:42 AM EDT
[#21]
This makes me want a steampunk or pirate style golf ball pistol...
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 8:19:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This makes me want a steampunk or pirate style golf ball pistol...
View Quote

Yeah, that would be fun!

I need to go through the GB website above, I'd completely forgotten about them having a cannon section.  I've been a member there for years, but haven't been on the site in a while.  First thing I need to decide is if I want to build a golf ball mortar or cannon.  A mortar using a fuse seems to be easiest, but a cannon seems to be more fun...especially if I can fab up a sighting system and start engaging targets... ;)
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 9:14:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Holy hell, bowling balls may be a little out of my league...I'm still at the baby steps stage! ;)
View Quote

I remember the mythbuster episode about the bowling ball cannon, it did some damage, wayyyyyyyyyyyyy down the line.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:25:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:34:11 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a brass golf ball cannon. I will try to upload pics latter in the week.

I can drive a golf ball further than Tiger Woods.

I once shot a hole in a wooden fence with it.

Definitely the sort of thing that will make you giggle like a little girl when you set it off.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:37:59 PM EDT
[#26]
golf ball canons are for sissys.  Guy at work has a bowling ball canon made from a large oxygen cylinder......oxygen tank you'd use with an oxy-acetylene outfit.  It'll launch a 16 lb.'er a tad over 400 yards.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:54:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The KA house in Rolla, Missouri had a fatal accident with a cannon around 1979, and that was the end of salute cannons on campus.

I mostly load mine with a projectile of paper and enough gunpowder to make a supersonic crack, and that is enough entertainment in the yard.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a long time ago, wish I could recall the details better. I was pretty young. This is all I can find online about it:

"1967 Premature Ignition. Connecticut. Boy Scout loses arm while serving as No. 1 man on gun crew during an event held at a stadium. Crew had previously participated in many competitive shooting events."

The KA house in Rolla, Missouri had a fatal accident with a cannon around 1979, and that was the end of salute cannons on campus.

I mostly load mine with a projectile of paper and enough gunpowder to make a supersonic crack, and that is enough entertainment in the yard.

One of my old neighbors used paper as well. Called it his Confetti Cannon.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:55:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Someone posted a video of a golfball cannon they got from here: http://blackpowder-cannons.com/

I just have a 50cal black powder cannon, though I am thinking of buying from the above also.
View Quote

Well...Now I need one of those!
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:17:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh god yes.....
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:33:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was a frat house at MIZZOU that had a cannon on the front yard & fired off a salute once a year.

I worked at the local Bass Pro shop and one year a couple of freshmen came in, grabbed some smokeless powder, and asked if it was the right powder for their cannon.  I pointed them to the pyrodex.

The next year one of my coworkers asked me the same question with two new freshmen standing behind him.  I once again pointed them to the pyrodex.

A few months later I moved off for grad school.  The next year I was visiting some friends in COMO and as we were driving through campus I noticed that their cannon was gone so I asked about it.

Apparently it blew up the last time they fired off a salute.

I'd wager they sent some freshmen in for powder and missed my good advice.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:38:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

My Boy Scout troop in Connecticut had one that fired cement-filled cans. That ended when one of the scouts lost a hand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dang.

The Forces of Montcalm and Wolfe (a French & Indian War reenacting group) holds a cannon certification course at Ft De Chartres in Illinois periodically.  I understand that they fire soda cans full of plaster of paris at 55 gallon drums.

My father took the class some time ago, but I have not.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:45:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Oh god yes.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh god yes.....

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 12:12:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
golf ball canons are for sissys.  Guy at work has a bowling ball canon made from a large oxygen cylinder......oxygen tank you'd use with an oxy-acetylene outfit.  It'll launch a 16 lb.'er a tad over 400 yards.
View Quote

Oddly enough, I have 3 or 4 extra oxygen/shield gas tanks in the shop.....
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 12:26:23 PM EDT
[#34]
I started THIS THREAD with out seeing this ONE.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top