Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:17:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Fake hood scoop. GHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That said, a friend has a 2011 SR5 and I love. Great value, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:23:46 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not picking a fight, but how on Earth is it "ok" to buy this expensive of a vehicle and have to modify the suspension for any reason other than lifting or lowering?  It seems odd to me people are ok with something so expensive with this problem

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Also have a 2015 Trail, Put Bilstein 6112s up front, and 5100s in the rear after the first month. Brake dive is still there, but not as bad as with factory shocks/springs up front.

Not picking a fight, but how on Earth is it "ok" to buy this expensive of a vehicle and have to modify the suspension for any reason other than lifting or lowering?  It seems odd to me people are ok with something so expensive with this problem

Because it isn't a problem. Suspension is a trade off and 98% of 4runner owners will value a soft ride over razor sharp handling, so soft springs, (relatively) long travel, soft damping, heavy BOF vehicle under braking will compress the front suspension more than other vehicles. Mostly people just use it as a justification for adding a lift.

Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:24:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Fake hood scoop. GHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View Quote
That adds like 5hp

Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:27:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I really want a Pro
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:33:05 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Because it isn't a problem. Suspension is a trade off and 98% of 4runner owners will value a soft ride over razor sharp handling, so soft springs, (relatively) long travel, soft damping, heavy BOF vehicle under braking will compress the front suspension more than other vehicles. Mostly people just use it as a justification for adding a lift.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Also have a 2015 Trail, Put Bilstein 6112s up front, and 5100s in the rear after the first month. Brake dive is still there, but not as bad as with factory shocks/springs up front.

The suspension is OK from the factory.  But I also want a hair of lift.  

So bottom line:  $1k spent for a TRD Pro like truck.  

Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:43:50 AM EDT
[#6]
2012 Limited, reliable/durable, great re-sale, comfortable, decent mpg, can hold 20 dead hookers, not dismembered, and 34 dismembered, or so I'm told.

Seriously though, as many here can tell you, 4Runners are the shiz!  
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:45:01 AM EDT
[#7]
My current plan is to drop 10k and a trade-in car on a 2015 or 16 4Runner next fall and keep it till the wheels fall off.

I REALLY want a TRD, but I'm not going to hold my breath on finding one in my price range (sub 40k).
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:21:26 AM EDT
[#8]
So, thinking about this, waiting another month or two on my schedule and dropping another few thousand onto the down would also put the TRD Pro into my price range.

Besides looking awesome, and what I'd assume would be better resale down the road, is there really any benefit to the Pro mechanically speaking?
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a deposit down on a 16 Limited. Supposed to get here end of the month/beginning of next.
View Quote

I am in the same boat...I wanted 3rd row seating in gray and have to wait on it to get to me.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:34:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

So, thinking about this, waiting another month or two on my schedule and dropping another few thousand onto the down would also put the TRD Pro into my price range.

Besides looking awesome, and what I'd assume would be better resale down the road, is there really any benefit to the Pro mechanically speaking?

View Quote

The resale on a Pro is amazing.  Good luck finding one.  If the owner of a Toyota dealership can't get one built over the past 4 months, I don't like your chances.

The Pro has a better suspension and the Limited interior.

Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:34:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I am in the same boat...I wanted 3rd row seating in gray and have to wait on it to get to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a deposit down on a 16 Limited. Supposed to get here end of the month/beginning of next.

We're trying to get a Nautical Blue with a black interior. I would have loved to get a trail premium, or a TRD, but the only trim level with dual climate control is the Limited, and with how cold my wife always is, and how hot I always am, it's a necessity.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:39:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Things I like
-off road capability (TE)
-pretty good reduction gears
-crawl mode
-decent power, with decent 5 speed auto--gets wheezy in the mountains
-easy to see out of
-comfy seats
-huge cargo space with rear seats folded down (no third row)
-reasonable towing capacity (2500-3500# safely, more will get wonky)
-big ass sunroof
-KDSS gives it a surprisingly tight on road ride

Things I don't like
-undercarriage likes to rust (it's a thin layer of surface rust, but still)
-squeaks and rattles everywere (probably because of off road use)
-VSC is very aggressive
-I've had three failures with the driver's door lock actuator
-mine has a SE Toyota installed security system that has gremlins in it
-paint is really easy to scratch off
-thin body panels
-mediocre gas mileage (5 speed auto doesn't help)
-KDSS adds time and cost to any suspension mods
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:51:42 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The resale on a Pro is amazing.  Good luck finding one.  If the owner of a Toyota dealership can't get one built over the past 4 months, I don't like your chances.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The Southeast Toyota () "build page" (arguably the worst "build page" I've ever seen, since you cant actually build anything) shows 24 Pro's coming in over the next month. If I'm not actually looking to buy one until May, Id think it shouldn't be too difficult to get one ordered. But maybe I'm just naiive in dealing with Toyota.

Link Posted: 1/14/2016 12:24:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Meh....the 4Runner needs a diesel or a V8..
View Quote

Do the current V6s have comparable hp/tq to the last gen V8s?
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 4:37:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The Southeast Toyota () "build page" (arguably the worst "build page" I've ever seen, since you cant actually build anything) shows 24 Pro's coming in over the next month. If I'm not actually looking to buy one until May, Id think it shouldn't be too difficult to get one ordered. But maybe I'm just naiive in dealing with Toyota.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree..it is liking going back to 2001 internet days....
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 4:44:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

4th Gen T4R V8 = 260hp/306 torque...curb weight = 4,280

5th Gen T4R V6 = 270hp/276 torque...curb weight = 4,800
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 5:06:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I had a 2007 4Runner with 173,000 trouble free miles that I traded for this...

I loved the FJ but then I got this...

So now I have this.

Link Posted: 1/14/2016 5:51:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Simply speaking, the Pro is a Trail Premium with a different suspension, no sunroof, a couple different colors, no KDSS option and a different fascia.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Simply speaking, the Pro is a Trail Premium with a different suspension, no sunroof, a couple different colors, no KDSS option and a different fascia.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone driven the TRD Pro vs a Trail? Wondering if the TRD Pro suspension would be stiffer than whats on the Trail.

I'm going to be switching from a performance SUV, so I'm used to a stiff suspension. If the Pro's are stiffer then that would basically settle what I want to look for.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:13:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I was a passenger in a rental 4runner for a couple of days after Thanksgiving.  I was quickly introduced to the low roof line when I hit my head the first time I tried to get into the thing.  There isn't a bunch of room in them at least not in the passenger front.  The outside temperature display was in the instrument cluster in front of the driver and could not be seen where I was sitting.  Also, while the vehicle looked like it had dual climate control, it did not.

I did like the visibility out of the passenger side mirror.

Perhaps it just wasn't optioned well enough for my liking, but no amount of options is going to eliminate that low roofline.  Perhaps if I was the driver I would have liked it better.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:21:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most other manufacturers, yes.
For Toyota, that would be way too risky.
That would require them to actually go out on limb and develop something halfway ground breaking, people pay them handsomely for last gen equipment so why change that formula.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:55:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope. And V8 almost has it beat at real low rpms:

5th gen: 278@4400 RPM. Don't where its at at lower RPMs, but rest assured it won't be close to the where the old V8 is at.

Early 4th gen V8: 320 ft lbs at 3400 rpm (if you use 91 octane). Already at 270 ft/lbs at 1000 rpm

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.toyota120.com%2FGenDocs%2F2003_4Runner.pdf Page 7

ETA-The V6 in the current 4runner is the same as in the 4th gen with the exception of dual vs single valve timing.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:09:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:13:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:14:51 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
A differential in the center?

Those are normally found between the wheels on the axles.

Normally the transfer case is after the engine and before the front and rear differentials. The function of the transfer case is to run power aft in 2WD or fore and aft in 4WD. The differentials allow the outside wheels to spin faster than the inside wheel in a turn. Some 4WD vehicles have locking rear diffs, and a few have both locking front and rear diffs. Transfer cases typically have a low and a high range allowing 4WD power at slower speeds (creating more torque) or higher speeds (giving up some torque for the speed).

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The limited is a full time 4wd with lockable center diff like the landcruisers(lc's got locking f/r diffs though).

Normally the transfer case is after the engine and before the front and rear differentials. The function of the transfer case is to run power aft in 2WD or fore and aft in 4WD. The differentials allow the outside wheels to spin faster than the inside wheel in a turn. Some 4WD vehicles have locking rear diffs, and a few have both locking front and rear diffs. Transfer cases typically have a low and a high range allowing 4WD power at slower speeds (creating more torque) or higher speeds (giving up some torque for the speed).

Full time 4wd use a third diff in the transfer case.

Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:15:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The limited is a full time 4wd with lockable center diff like the landcruisers(lc's got locking f/r diffs though).

Limited is the only one with a locking center diff, owing to its full time 4WD.

The SR5 and Trail will bind in 4H as they lack one.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:15:33 PM EDT
[#27]
If they would put a V8 in it I would have one. Loved my gen 4 with the 4.7.... Imagine the gen 5 with the 5.7
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:17:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm disappointed Paul. I figured you would have known what a center locking diff was

Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:21:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Have a 2015 4Runner trail edition. Love it.

Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:21:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:23:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:25:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I only hang with real 4WD SUVs and trucks. We wouldn't allow a full-time vehicle out with us ... well we'd make fun of them!

I know the Honda system uses a fluid that as it gets warmer gets thicker so as the front wheels spin the rear wheels engage but nothing (ever) "locks".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm disappointed Paul. I figured you would have known what a center locking diff was

I only hang with real 4WD SUVs and trucks. We wouldn't allow a full-time vehicle out with us ... well we'd make fun of them!

I know the Honda system uses a fluid that as it gets warmer gets thicker so as the front wheels spin the rear wheels engage but nothing (ever) "locks".

A full time 4WD like this? Even says so on the ass... in GOLD

They can be had with locking front, rear, and center diffs.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:26:28 PM EDT
[#33]
One other thing to consider is (historically) the 4runner generations tend to change over every 6-7 years. The current gen is currently in its 6th (or 7th) year. There may be a new gen just around the corner.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:26:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

5th gen: 278@4400 RPM. Don't where its at at lower RPMs, but rest assured it won't be close to the where the old V8 is at.

Early 4th gen V8: 320 ft lbs at 3400 rpm (if you use 91 octane). Already at 270 ft/lbs at 1000 rpm
https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.toyota120.com%2FGenDocs%2F2003_4Runner.pdf Page 7

ETA-The V6 in the current 4runner is the same as in the 4th gen with the exception of dual vs single valve timing.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 2007 V8 pisses all over my wife's 2010 V6.  I hate the V6.  It's gutless, rough, and sounds like a tractor engine.  It does get decent mileage on the highway.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:28:54 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a normal transfer case with hi/lo range, but it has a torsen limited slip diff in it, so it can be used on dry pavement. The diff can be locked so that it works like a normal transfer case in 4hi/4lo.

thisisdudewhoru: LandCruisers in the US have not had selectable front/rear lockers since the 80 series
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:40:08 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a 2010 Limited that's going to hit 90,000 miles in the next week or two. One set of wheel bearings under warranty, tires once (replaced with a set of the OEM Geolanders), brakes once, oil every 10k miles and it runs like new. I've camped in it for a week or two very comfortably, and there's enough room in the back to sit up with headroom to spare. It's towed a boat on highways and hills with confidence.  It's been driven at welllll above posted highway speeds with the same sure-footedness as my old 2001 Maxima SE and even when driving on sandy beaches and on mountain tops during blizzards and ice storms it has never, not even once failed to do exactly what I told it to do and how I told it to do it.

It has almost 10" of minimum ground clearance when bone stock. The rear seats recline. No real blind spots like on the FJ Cruiser. And plenty of bells and whistles, especially the newer ones...

Oh, and one other thing worth mentioning is that Toyota has some crazy emergency braking programming that analyzes how quickly your foot moves from the gas to the brake and how hard you hit the brakes. In all seriousness when it's triggered it's scary how short in distance the system is able to stop a truck this size dead in its' tracks!  As in it doesn't even seem possible kind of short... which was very fortunate for the two or three people who've pulled out of parking spots right in front of me as I came humming down the road.

Nothing not to love!!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:50:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:52:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
To say it's lethargic in the acceleration department is an understatement.
View Quote

Yes. This.  I'm not a hot-rodder by any means but this is true. They do make headers and other mods designed for increased performance if so desired.

We own a '13 SR5 model and like it.  Sharp lookin ride.

I also agree with the cramped interior comment.  I'm a small dude but even I feel a little cramped in there.  Granted, I drive a Ram with a huge interior in contrast.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:53:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Anyone driven the TRD Pro vs a Trail? Wondering if the TRD Pro suspension would be stiffer than whats on the Trail.    

I'm going to be switching from a performance SUV, so I'm used to a stiff suspension. If the Pro's are stiffer then that would basically settle what I want to look for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I drove both. I couldn't tell any difference driving on asphalt. The price difference between the Pro and Trail Premium w/KDSS wasn't justifiable to me. I bought the Trail Premium.

Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:54:18 PM EDT
[#40]
KDSS makes a huge difference on pavement. The amount of lean is noticeable without it.

It is always on.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:56:25 PM EDT
[#41]
2016 TRD Pro here. I've had it for about two months now and am loving it. For me the TRD was worth the extra money... I looked at getting a Trail instead but would have ended up changing suspension, wheels, tires, etc, plus I prefer the look of the TRD grill / trim. Been off road several time in it now and have been VERY impressed with the traction system as well as the suspension. I also find the V6 to have plenty of power...

Pics:

Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:57:46 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Yes. This.  I'm not a hot-rodder by any means but this is true. They do make headers and other kids designed for increased performance if so desired.

We own a '13 SR model and like it.  Sharp lookin ride.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

To say it's lethargic in the acceleration department is an understatement.

Yes. This.  I'm not a hot-rodder by any means but this is true. They do make headers and other kids designed for increased performance if so desired.

We own a '13 SR model and like it.  Sharp lookin ride.
The only worthwhile performance mod the the 5th gen 4runner is 4.56 gears.

URD might produce their super charger kit in the near future, but who knows.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:57:55 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well shit... I guess my new to me Land Cruiser isn't a rear 4x4 Better go trade it in on  RAV4

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 12:09:16 AM EDT
[#44]
What changes come with the sixth generation?  Will we see a better V6 and a 6 speed?  Safety and handling upgrades?

Will that be 2017? Or later?

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 12:11:54 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My reason for using Bilstein 6112s was to get a mild lift. The improvement in brake drive was an additional benefit.

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 12:14:21 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

What changes come with the sixth generation?  Will we see a better V6 and a 6 speed?  Safety and handling upgrades?

Will that be 2017? Or later?

View Quote
Probably best guess is look what they put in the latest Tacoma.

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 12:27:56 AM EDT
[#47]
I bought a 2016 Trail Premium in December and love it.

Traded in a 2014 Z71 and did not look back.....
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 12:30:28 AM EDT
[#48]
I drove a 2015 Trail for a couple of days while my LC was being serviced.  Nice little SUV.  Pretty cramped for me, but I'm taller than most.  Didn't have an issue with the power and it was surprisingly quiet on the highway and dirt roads around my house.  Plenty of room for my 3 kids around town.  I only put about 200 miles on it, so I can't say much more than that.  I liked it, though.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 12:39:48 AM EDT
[#49]
I'd get the most basic package that has what you want. Probably a Trail, I wouldn't bother with a pro if you plan on lifting it
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 12:41:55 AM EDT
[#50]
2015 sr5 premium. Great for tooling around town or any non pavement situation. Shitty for long road trips. For those the suspension is too bouncy and if there's any wind gusts you will feel like you're about to be blown off the road. I've heard the models with the upgraded suspension are better. 18.4 mpg overall. The room and features are good.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top