Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/17/2016 4:44:30 PM EDT
From the Detroit News.

Link

Thought this was pretty timely, given the recent announcement to increase armed officers in the UK.

As a police officer in England, Michael Matthews doesn’t carry a gun — but while on a recent ride-along with Detroit cops, he says there were times he wished he was packing.

Detroit’s rampant violence, “Third World poverty,” and the availability of firearms aren’t as prevalent in his homeland, said Matthews, a 41-year-old Scotland Yard cop who’s in Detroit researching a book he’s writing about the city’s police department.

“In the U.K., officers don’t go to calls thinking they could be shot at any second,” the 21-year police veteran said. “The average cop in London deals with fights, domestic calls, and burglaries. In a year, they might never get called to a homicide scene
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 4:46:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I like this:

Assistant Detroit Police Chief Steve Dolunt, who has met Matthews
several times, said he can’t imagine an unarmed police department.

"I
find it scary and a tad troubling that so few cops are armed over
there,” Dolunt said. "They have strict gun control, and they have lower
crime, but they still have problems with terrorism. So gun control
doesn’t take away all violence. In America, we have the right to bear
arms, and I think a law-abiding citizen should be allowed to carry a
gun.”

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 4:48:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like this:

Assistant Detroit Police Chief Steve Dolunt, who has met Matthews several times, said he can’t imagine an unarmed police department.

"I find it scary and a tad troubling that so few cops are armed over there,” Dolunt said. "They have strict gun control, and they have lower crime, but they still have problems with terrorism. So gun control doesn’t take away all violence. In America, we have the right to bear arms, and I think a law-abiding citizen should be allowed to carry a gun.”

View Quote

I liked that bit, too. The BLM activists who've been calling for police departments to be totally disarmed are just totally clueless. They think there is disorder now. It would be infinitely worse with unarmed American cops.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Sadly, from the article it is hard to tell if he sees Detroit's past as England's future.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 5:03:42 PM EDT
[#4]
That's BULLSHIT. There are areas of London and Manchester cops won't even GO.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 5:21:19 PM EDT
[#5]
That article screamed, "Look at England's strict gun laws saving lives!" More liberal BS trying to convince people guns are evil and need to be banned.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 5:55:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can you provide map references, or maybe a google maps location.
I have always been curious where they are and what they look like.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 5:59:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Cops operate with little fear in England?  Hahhaahahhahahhahaaaaaaaa, hahahahaaaaaaahhaaahhahahhaaaa!

BULLSHIT!!!!!

Keep lying assholes.

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 6:02:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 6:02:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That article screamed, "Look at England's strict gun laws saving lives!" More liberal BS trying to convince people guns are evil and need to be banned.
View Quote

Whenever someone says this, we all need to respond with the following fact:

"Back in the 1980's, when Brits could still legally own handguns, they averaged about 8-12 handgun homicides a year.  Now that handguns are completely illegal, Britain sees 40-50 handgun homicides a year."  

or this question:

"If gun control works so well in Europe, then why does Switzerland - the most heavily armed European country - have the lowest rate of firearms homicide?  And the lowest violent crime rate?"
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 6:05:06 PM EDT
[#11]
. It's boring stereotype reporting. the wow the UK police are not routinely armed, and the American police an't imagine being without guns.
Been said and 'reported' thousands of times. It's been a plot device in countless books, movies and TV shows.

But for me, the interesting part is, the real cause of problems :
“In the U.K., we have our poverty, but it would never be allowed to get this bad. And there wouldn’t be the kind of shortage of police officers you see in Detroit because of the way police are funded.

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#13]
So, detroit isn't like the upper class neighborhood he patrols? Interesting.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 6:10:07 PM EDT
[#14]
They have strict gun control, and they have lower crime,
View Quote

Not for long.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 6:16:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
. It's boring stereotype reporting. the wow the UK police are not routinely armed, and the American police an't imagine being without guns.
Been said and 'reported' thousands of times. It's been a plot device in countless books, movies and TV shows.

“In the U.K., we have our poverty, but it would never be allowed to get this bad. And there wouldn’t be the kind of shortage of police officers you see in Detroit because of the way police are funded.

View Quote

By all means let's encourage more shiftless fucks to go on the dole by making their lives easy. Then we can pay for it with more inflationary fiscal policy until the whole mess implodes.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 6:17:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
From the Detroit News.

Link

Thought this was pretty timely, given the recent announcement to increase armed officers in the UK.

As a police officer in England, Michael Matthews doesn’t carry a gun — but while on a recent ride-along with Detroit cops, he says there were times he wished he was packing.

Detroit’s rampant violence, “Third World poverty,” and the availability of firearms aren’t as prevalent in his homeland, said Matthews, a 41-year-old Scotland Yard cop who’s in Detroit researching a book he’s writing about the city’s police department.

“In the U.K., officers don’t go to calls thinking they could be shot at any second,” the 21-year police veteran said. “The average cop in London deals with fights, domestic calls, and burglaries. In a year, they might never get called to a homicide scene
View Quote
View Quote

Interesting article.

Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

True
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True

No offense, but without having any insight into exactly HOW Detroit got into the position it is, our English friends should abstain from commenting.

If we were to transplant the city of Detroit into England, trust me, you would soon find yourselves with the same political quagmire on your hands.

I say that as someone who is originally from the Detroit area, and has observed what has gone on there and how it has gotten itself into the position it is in over several decades.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No offense, but without having any insight into exactly HOW Detroit got into the position it is, our English friends should abstain from commenting.

If we were to transplant the city of Detroit into England, trust me, you would soon find yourselves with the same political quagmire on your hands.

I say that as someone who is originally from the Detroit area, and has observed what has gone on there and how it has gotten itself into the position it is in over several decades.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True

To be fair, a lot of Americans comment on the UK without having any insight, and we tend to accommodate that and offer our perspective.

Rather than telling people not to comment, why not offer some of your own insight?

That's how discussions lead to people becoming better informed.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 6:39:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 6:43:48 PM EDT
[#20]

this
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 7:21:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

To be fair, a lot of Americans comment on the UK without having any insight, and we tend to accommodate that and offer our perspective.

Rather than telling people not to comment, why not offer some of your own insight?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True

Fine, I will give you my perspective on how Detroit got itself into the mess it is in.

It largely boils down to 2 words: "Racial Hatred."

The first race riots took place in 1943, during World War II, and were largely hushed up by the powers that be at the time, so as not to interfere with war production and become fodder for enemy propaganda.

Tension simmered into the 1960s, and began to increase when a neighborhood that had formerly been an entertainment district mainly for blacks, nicknamed "Black Bottom," was seized by eminent domain and bulldozed under, to make way for the construction of the new Interstate 75 highway.  This caused a huge amount of resentment among blacks towards white politicians.

Then, in 1967, there was a police raid on a bar that was selling liquor without a license (such places were nicknamed "Blind Pigs"), and this incident exploded into the infamous riots of 1967, in which ??? were killed (the exact number is still hotly debated today), a large portion of the city burned, and it ultimately required federal troops to quell the violence.

After the '67 riots, most whites, as well as hardworking, decent blacks, could see the writing on the wall, and began to sell their property (at a loss) and flee the city in droves, which essentially destroyed the tax base.

You see, the fact is, most decent people don't want to live next to people who will riot, loot, and burn at the drop of a hat.

Soon, all that were left in Detroit were the thugs themselves, and what few decent people that were left who did not have the means to escape (I feel sorry for them).

For the next 40 years, what has gone on is a political tug of war, whereby the people of Detroit demand free handouts from the state with no strings attached, whereas the state tries to add conditions to the aid which is offered, to ensure, for example, that the aid money is not simply stolen outright (see heading under "Former Mayor of Detroit Kwame Kilpatrick, and Why He Went To Prison" for further learning on this point).

Detroit City government is absolutely corrupt, as is the school district.  Decent people have tried many times to reform it, and failed, due to the endemic corruption.

The city is rotten through and through, to the core.

There are neighborhoods that even the police are afraid to go into at night time (I have this on good authority from an acquaintance who is a former Wayne County Deputy Sheriff).

If you think that this mess is the result of any "lack of compassion" on the part of whites and/or "lack of social support"  by the government, you are wrong.

This mess was created by the thugs themselves, and the politics of race in America, under which no real or meaningful discourse is allowed without someone playing "the race card" and beating well intentioned individuals over the head with it to try and extort money out of them.

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 7:30:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Fine, I will give you my perspective on how Detroit got itself into the mess it is in.

The first race riots took place in 1943, during World War II, and were largely hushed up by the powers that be at the time, so as not to interfere with war production and become fodder for enemy propaganda.

Tension simmered into the 1960s, and began to increase when a neighborhood that had formerly been an entertainment district mainly for blacks, nicknamed "Black Bottom," was seized by eminent domain and bulldozed under, to make way for the construction of the new Interstate 75 highway.  This caused a huge amount of resentment among blacks towards white politicians.

Then, in 1967, there was a police raid on a bar that was selling liquor without a license (such places were nicknamed "Blind Pigs"), and this incident exploded into the infamous riots of 1967, in which ??? were killed (the exact number is still hotly debated today), a large portion of the city burned, and it ultimately required federal troops to quell the violence.

After the '67 riots, most whites, as well as hardworking, decent blacks, could see the writing on the wall, and began to sell their property (at a loss) and flee the city in droves, which essentially destroyed the tax base.

You see, the fact is, most decent people don't want to live next to people who will riot, loot, and burn at the drop of a hat.

Soon, all that were left in Detroit were the thugs themselves, and what few decent people that were left who did not have the means to escape (I feel sorry for them).

For the next 40 years, what has gone on is a political tug of war, whereby the people of Detroit demand free handouts from the state with no strings attached, whereas the state tries to add conditions to the aid which is offered, to ensure, for example, that the aid money is not simply stolen outright (see heading under "Former Mayor of Detroit Kwame Kilpatrick, and Why He Went To Prison" for further learning on this point).

Detroit City government is absolutely corrupt, as is the school district.  Decent people have tried many times to reform it, and failed, due to the endemic corruption.

There are neighborhoods that even the police are afraid to go into at night time (I have this on good authority from an acquaintance who is a former Wayne County Deputy Sheriff).

If you think that this mess is the result of any "lack of compassion" on the part of whites and/or "lack of social support"  by the government, you are wrong.

This mess was created by the thugs themselves, and the politics of race in America, under which no real or meaningful discourse is allowed without someone playing "the race card" and beating well intentioned individuals over the head with it to try and extort money out of them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True

Thank you for taking the time to share your perspective.  Interesting info.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 7:30:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

"In the U.K., we have our poverty, but it would never be allowed to get this bad. And there wouldn’t be the kind of shortage of police officers you see in Detroit because of the way police are funded.

View Quote

We have these oddball political entities called 'States' here. And some of them are bigger than entire countries.

They all have their own Police, called 'State Police', evenly spread over the entire State, based on population density, give or take.

They have been known to step in, when the town, county, or city police cannot handle a crisis.

Above them, if that is the correct word, is the Federal Police- FBI, DOJ, Homeland Security, IRS, INS, BATFE, and on and on and on....

The levels of bureaucracy, and inefficiency is simply amazing. So generally, the smaller the entity, the better it is run /managed.

At least we have several levels of 'checks and balances', even if it turns into a dick-measuring contest, most of the time.

The biggest police force in the USA is NY City, IIRC. About 35,000 officers +/-. Just look at the shenanigans, they get up to -

if you read the frequent posts by Extorris, and others.  

Name ONE thing that the Federal government does well, just ONE. Maybe the .mil, but that is a big debate, too.

Bigger is not usually better, when it comes to .gov. As Ronald Regan said 'The biggest problem government has is itself'.

Or words to that effect.

'...but it would never be allowed to get this bad.'

Maybe, but the UK has had it's own version of the FSA for a while.

When I lived in London in the 70's there were pubs, post offices, tube stations, getting blown up on a regular basis, as spinoffs from

'the troubles' in Ireland.

Your 130,000 bobbies didn't know weather to shit or go blind, then. And plenty of people were out of work. And taxes were through the roof.

And now that you have given up on immigration control, and are allowing the RoP to run the show, pretty soon you are gonna be asking the USA

'can you please loan us some guns, AGAIN.'

IMHO YMMV

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 7:33:39 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 7:35:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

We have these oddball political entities called 'States' here. And some of them are bigger than entire countries.
They all have their own Police, called 'State Police', evenly spread over the entire State, based on population density, give or take.
They have been known to step in, when the town, county, or city police cannot handle a crisis.

Above them, if that is the correct word, is the Federal Police- FBI, DOJ, Homeland Security, IRS, INS, BATFE, and on and on and on....

The levels of bureaucracy, and inefficiency is simply amazing. So generally, the smaller the entity, the better it is run /managed.
At least we have several levels of 'checks and balances', even if it turns into a dick-measuring contest, most of the time.

The biggest police force in the USA is NY City, IIRC. About 35,000 officers +/-. Just look at the shenanigans, they get up to -

Name ONE thing that the Federal government does well, just ONE. Maybe the .mil, but that is a big debate, too.
Bigger is not usually better, when it comes to .gov. As Ronald Regan said 'The biggest problem government has is itself'.
Or words to that effect.
When I lived in London in the 70's there were pubs, post offices, tube stations, getting blown up on a regular basis, as spinoffs from
Your 130,000 bobbies didn't know weather to shit or go blind, then. And plenty of people were out of work. And taxes were through the roof.

And now that you have given up on immigration control, and are allowing the RoP to run the show, pretty soon you are gonna be asking the USA

IMHO YMMV

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"In the U.K., we have our poverty, but it would never be allowed to get this bad. And there wouldn’t be the kind of shortage of police officers you see in Detroit because of the way police are funded.

Or words to that effect.

IMHO YMMV

I was with you right up until the red bits. It was interesting.

Then you went full retard.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 7:37:00 PM EDT
[#27]
And don't forget that wonderful Detroit mayor for so many year - Coleman Young. I grew up in the Detroit suburbs (left for the Chicago area 20 years ago). Young always was fighting with the suburbs something awful and alienating the hell out of everyone white

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 7:37:23 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
There are areas of London and Manchester cops won't even GO.
View Quote

Wrong.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 7:38:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

A FB friend over in England calls bullshit on this statement.  She also wants us to send them Obama when he is done here
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 7:39:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

A FB friend over in England calls bullshit on this statement.  She also wants us to send them Obama when he is done here
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Belay that request.

We do not want that imbecile anywhere near us.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 7:56:01 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Belay that request.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Belay that request.

Oh no, too late... he's all yours!!! And we have a 'No Return' policy.

Be sure to make him feel like he has accomplished something, usually something he's not qualified for, or you will be called a racist. You must pamper him or else.

Enjoy your new girl's bike riding, limp wristed ball throwing, cries when he can't have his way country'man'.

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 8:15:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Be sure to make him feel like he has accomplished something, usually something he's not qualified for, or you will be called a racist. You must pamper him or else.

Enjoy your new girl's bike riding, limp wristed ball throwing, cries when he can't have his way country'man'.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Belay that request.

Right.  That's it.  We're sending you this wet lettuce:

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 8:28:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

No I won't accept that
I have been to America plenty of times and have witnessed poverty levels and a system that would not be accepted here

We all have poor, but yours are on a whole new level
I've never seen as many people begging as I did when I was in Boston, and have never seen anyone at a traffic light in the UK with a placard asking for a handout
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True

No I won't accept that
I have been to America plenty of times and have witnessed poverty levels and a system that would not be accepted here

I've never seen as many people begging as I did when I was in Boston, and have never seen anyone at a traffic light in the UK with a placard asking for a handout

I was in the U.K(London and Liverpool) over the holidays and I gotta say, i felt safer there than American cities and saw fewer homeless.  Idk what the UK is doing different.  

My impression with the homeless here is that we have so many poor on the streets because they're caught up in drugs and choose not to use the support of homeless shelters and stuff available.  I have talked to a couple who actually chose to either, run away, or be homeless as a sort of "adventure" from normal life.  Idk what ya do to solve it.  You can't force them into job training or drug treatment, and you can't stop people from giving them money.  Maybe it's cultural/values differences between us and the UK. Idk.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 8:30:13 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
No I won't accept that

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

True

No I won't accept that

We can send them to you.

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I liked that bit, too. The BLM activists who've been calling for police departments to be totally disarmed are just totally clueless. They think there is disorder now. It would be infinitely worse with unarmed American cops.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I like this:

Assistant Detroit Police Chief Steve Dolunt, who has met Matthews several times, said he can’t imagine an unarmed police department.

"I find it scary and a tad troubling that so few cops are armed over there,” Dolunt said. "They have strict gun control, and they have lower crime, but they still have problems with terrorism. So gun control doesn’t take away all violence. In America, we have the right to bear arms, and I think a law-abiding citizen should be allowed to carry a gun.”

The blacks would slaughter themselves, then blame whitey for not stopping it. It's hard to be a slave...

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 9:02:52 PM EDT
[#36]
My whole family is from the area, grew up in good times and seen the bad.  Its like night and day between now and then, but the makings of Detroit are very plain,  the unions fought very effectively to bankrupt the companies and public services that supported them.  Wasnt uncommon to know cops and factory workers with 4 cars and 2 houses (lake cottage and main house in the burbs).  It was unsustainable, and my family greatly benefitted from it.  But in the end it makes sense as to what happened.  I also need to add in humungous political corruption that until very recently made any attempt at progress impossible.  

But to the point,  Having someone come into detroit and build a case about america, or michigan for that matter,  is like having someone going to chernobyl and making a case about Europe.  Detroit is a big town, its not all like that.  Third world is not really applicable either,  they were left with tier 1 first world infrastructure they couldnt afford to maintain once most people left leaving it in disrepair. Mark my words though,  over the years this will be fixed,  they will have to bulldoze many of the once absolutely beautiful housing and buildings that are left over an turn it back into farmland or whatever, but the books will eventually balance,  especially with conscientious and realistic folks running the show.

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 9:38:51 PM EDT
[#37]

The BIG question is going to be what the violent crime will be with 1.million muslim jihadists running around...
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 2:01:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

He doesn't understand that that has been done on purpose.  Keep them poor and they won't move into your neighborhoods, give them hope and they vote for you.  Our inner cities are the new plantations.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 8:44:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Belay that request.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Belay that request.

O'Bama might want to return to his real homeland.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 2:28:14 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Belay that request.

Nairobi it is then

Link Posted: 1/19/2016 2:33:05 PM EDT
[#41]
More unsolicited British opinions on America!  They just cannot get enough of us.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 2:37:39 PM EDT
[#42]
So the part of England where this guy works is not like Detroit.  Ok then.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 3:00:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

True
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True

How exactly does the UK "not allow" poverty?
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 3:01:11 PM EDT
[#44]
I have a feeling that the streets of Detroit would be a culture shock to

a lot of Americans too
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 3:04:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I have a feeling that the streets of Detroit would be a culture shock to
a lot of Americans too
View Quote

No shit
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 3:08:53 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

No I won't accept that

View Quote

Don't worry, your economy cannot continue at the rate is is going, where so many are on the public dole.

Ask yourself this: Is GB better, stronger and more resilient in 2016, or in 1996?

Link Posted: 1/19/2016 3:12:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 3:14:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 3:15:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 3:17:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Well for one thing we won't just let banks foreclose on home owners and throw them out on the street,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True

How exactly does the UK "not allow" poverty?

Well for one thing we won't just let banks foreclose on home owners and throw them out on the street,

Considering the costs of home ownership in the US vs. the UK, that alone is enough to discredit that argument.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top