Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:08:42 PM EDT
[#1]
At least in 5 years you'll be able to sell it for $30k with 60000 miles. if I had to be upsidedown in a car a silver JKU Rubi is about the best one out there.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:11:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At least in 5 years you'll be able to sell it for $30k with 60000 miles.
View Quote

I know right?! Almost as bad as buying a used Tacoma!
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:13:40 PM EDT
[#3]
hard to imagine getting raped that hard on a wrangler. but good for you on the new one.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:14:53 PM EDT
[#4]
How in the world were you that upside down?

Are you financing 100% of it?  

did you even haggle at all? or just walk in and pay sticker?
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:17:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
hard to imagine getting raped that hard on a wrangler.
View Quote

So which part? Getting the first rubi for $29k or the second one for $37k?? ($35 sticker price + $2k for the trade?)
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:19:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Or just walk in and pay sticker?
View Quote

Did you read the OP? I got the $33k base model rubi for $29k initially. That's $4k+ off sticker.

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:19:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Dude
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:20:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So which part? Getting the first rubi for $29k or the second one for $37k?? ($35 sticker price + $2k for the trade?)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait wait wait wait...

You paid MSRP plus ate the negative equity?

You... You paid sticker for a vehicle?

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:22:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

No. I initially paid 29k for a 33k(sticker) rubi. Imho that was a decent deal.

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:25:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No. I initially paid 29k for a 33k(sticker) rubi.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You keep saying that like you got a great deal or something.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:26:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Did you read the OP? I got the $33k base model rubi for $29k initially. That's $4k+ off sticker.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or just walk in and pay sticker?

Well they hosed you so bad on your trade in I got confused.  How were you that upside down and why did you take such a low $ for the trade in knowing what you owed?
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:26:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, I had to go back and re-re-read what you wrote.

You financed $2,200 over sticker out the door eating $5,000 in negative equity.  If such is the case, you didn't get your ass ate out like some here would like to believe.  It's just that it sounds like you paid sticker on the second Jeep, plus tax, plus negative equity.

The dealer will take a beating on a new car or on the trade, but rarely on both. Give and take, but in the end it's about the same.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:27:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

wranglers are pretty damn good at holding their value. you got a $4k head start. then still lost $2k, for a net loss of $6k. then you apparently paid sticker on the new one, when clearly deals can be had, as evidenced by $4k off the first one.

i'd have looked for the jeep i wanted elsewhere, or possibly private saled/ sold to a big used dealer to pay off the car completely before taking a hit on it. the big dealers that do the "guaranteed financing no money down!" bullshit would have eaten that up.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:27:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't think the dealer fucked you, I do think you fucked yourself though.

You probably could have just had the first jeep professionally painted a different color and lost less money if you hated it that bad.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:31:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You probably could have just had the first jeep professionally painted a different color and lost less money if you hated it that bad.
View Quote

i couldn't agree more.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:31:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

No, you read wrong. I want low maintenance.

Dirt, scratches and dents show less on silver than black by a long shot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh because when I read that it's hard to keep clean and shows every imperfection that sounds like you want a princess.  

No, you read wrong. I want low maintenance.

Dirt, scratches and dents show less on silver than black by a long shot.

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:31:57 PM EDT
[#17]
It could have been WAY worse, you could have used your own money and not the banks. Worse comes to worse, let the bank have it back... probably going to be lots of that going on soon
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:32:42 PM EDT
[#18]
I second what was said above. If you are going to be upside down in anything this is the vehicle for it IMO. I was just out driving new cars this weekend and a 1 year old Rubicon unlimited with 16k miles was 36.5 sticker. It was lifted and drove great but I just wouldn't use it enough offroad to justify it. I was damn tempted though. The prices for used Rubicons are insane.

Sales tax in WA is 9%, we get nailed because we don't have an income tax here.

Sounds like a hell of a nice rig man. I hate having car payments but sometimes they aren't so hard to swallow when you are driving the rig you've always wanted. Enjoy it
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:33:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Before we get into details I must preface that this is not a daily driver. It's a third vehicle and a weekend toy only.

Back in August I got the bug for a Jeep JK Rubicon. The dealer had a base model in black for the sticker price of $33k but sold it to me for $29k. Got 3.9% for the amount financed of $32,634.

Long story short, the black paint was driving me nuts as its hard to keep clean and shows every imperfection. The soft top was something else I came to dislike too. What I really wanted was a Billet silver base model Rubicon (JK) with a hard top. Started shopping around and last weekend I found the same dealer had exactly what I wanted! A Billet silver Base model Rubicon with a hardtop. Sticker price was $35k.

Payoff for the black rubi was $31,453. They gave me $25k for it. Total financed for the trade and new rubi was $37,300 at 3.39%.

How'd I do?
View Quote

How did you do? Check your math. Cause I did.    Master level trolling.  

It is sad that a 16er had to figure it out.    What is happening to GD?
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:33:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Kidding aside, I'd like to have a rubicon unlimited myself, but can't justify it not being my daily.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:36:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:37:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Before we get into details I must preface that this is not a daily driver. It's a third vehicle and a weekend toy only.

Back in August I got the bug for a Jeep JK Rubicon. The dealer had a base model in black for the sticker price of $33k but sold it to me for $29k. Got 3.9% for the amount financed of $32,634.

Long story short, the black paint was driving me nuts as its hard to keep clean and shows every imperfection. The soft top was something else I came to dislike too. What I really wanted was a Billet silver base model Rubicon (JK) with a hard top. Started shopping around and last weekend I found the same dealer had exactly what I wanted! A Billet silver Base model Rubicon with a hardtop. Sticker price was $35k.

Payoff for the black rubi was $31,453. They gave me $25k for it. Total financed for the trade and new rubi was $37,300 at 3.39%.

How'd I do?

WTF are you talking about?
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:38:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

i couldn't agree more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i couldn't agree more.

Have you guys priced professional paint jobs?? Holy shit they are not cheap and they dont cover the whole vehicle (underhood, door jams, floor pan, etc.....)

The price of a paint job and a hard top would have exceded the whole shebang by thousands!
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:38:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How'd I do?

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:42:40 PM EDT
[#25]
You did what about 94% of oilfield people did for the last 6 years
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:49:07 PM EDT
[#26]
He effectively paid 87.87% of sticker price both times....
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:54:33 PM EDT
[#27]
First JK rubi

Second JK

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:58:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Have you guys priced professional paint jobs?? Holy shit they are not cheap and they dont cover the whole vehicle (underhood, door jams, floor pan, etc.....)

The price of a paint job and a hard top would have exceded the whole shebang by thousands!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i couldn't agree more.

How much do you figure this trade cost you in the end, and how did you arrive at that number?
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:59:49 PM EDT
[#29]
well you could of bought a hardtop for 2700 bucks...
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:01:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
How much do you figure this trade cost you in the end, and how did you arrive at that number?
View Quote

Read the OP and you tell me. That was the original question
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:05:12 AM EDT
[#31]
This made me feel so much better about some financial decisions Ive made, and mildly regretted, in my life.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:08:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You can't be fucking serious........
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:08:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/45907649.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/45907649.jpg

Well I'm not a car salesman, but my estimate if I had to throw a guess at it would be 5-7k.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:09:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Meh I get BMW owners who roll 10-20k into new vehicles here at the Audi Dealership I work at. The sales guy who sold you the silver JK isn't the one who is making the good money, the salesman who sells your old black JK for 31-32k is since they gave you 25. Rolling any negative equity into a car is ill advised, but if you are happy then you are happy.

Side note: I had a 3 series customer walk in yesterday looking to trade his car in and he owed 48k, car was valued at 16k
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:10:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Well I'm not a car salesman, but my estimate if I had to throw a guess at it would be 5-7k.
View Quote

For the trade alone?
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:12:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Side note: I had a 3 series customer walk in yesterday looking to trade his car in and he owed 48k, car was valued at 16k
View Quote

Holy shit! Thanks for the perspective! Now I don't feel so bad.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:16:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Instead of being $4000 in the ditch due to depreciation and owning the first Jeep for 6 months, you are now $12,300 in the ditch before you drove Jeep #2 off the lot.

Now that you have driven #2 off the lot you are about $18,000 in the ditch and that number will not get any smaller until it is completely paid off, by that time you will have a $5000 Jeep.

You asked for a salesman's opinion, you just got it.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:18:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Instead of being $4000 in the ditch due to depreciation and owning the first Jeep for 6 months, you are now $12,300 in the ditch before you drove Jeep #2 off the lot.

Now that you have driven #2 off the lot you are about $18,000 in the ditch and that number will not get any smaller until it is completely paid off, by that time you will have a $5000 Jeep.
View Quote

So if my plan is to keep it, pay it off and not give a shit about depreciation and further trades....is your evaluation still legit?

ETA: did you convert for dollars to Canuck coins/rainbow bills and mph vs kph??
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:18:37 AM EDT
[#39]
How about a blue one? I'll give you $26k for your silver one, and you can roll more negative equity into the blue one.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:22:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't get me wrong his situation was just dumb, but you didn't make the greatest decision either. I really hope you got gap.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:22:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

For the trade alone?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the trade alone?

For the dealers profit a second time, taking the initial depreciation hit on a new vehicle a second time, you probably paid ~$500 in interest in round numbers on a loan you just started over, etc. All the money you threw out the window basically
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:23:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

So if my plan is to keep it, pay it off and not give a shit about depreciation and further trades....is your evaluation still legit?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jeep gets wrecked/stolen/totaled, insurance cuts you a check for $15k, the payoff on the loan is $26k, with the balance due immediately... Quick, what's your plan? You need to see if it's not too late to get a GAP policy.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:24:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:I really hope you got gap.
View Quote

Fuck yeah I got GAP (part of the deal)
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:25:00 AM EDT
[#44]
How many months did you finance it for? Did you get GAP?
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:25:10 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm a Jeeper but I want that OBS truck in your first pic
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:25:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You asked for a salesman's opinion, you just got it.

Yes it is.
It was when I first typed it out.
It's up to you to justify cost of ownership, not me.

If it's what you want and that is the means you choose to pay for it, that's up to you.
At the end of the day it's still going to be a $5000 Jeep, it's called ACV (actual cash value).

Not dissing you, just laying it out from a salesman's perspective.
Nobody held a gun to your head to buy it, that's your decision.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:26:10 AM EDT
[#47]
OP, do you have other car payments, in addition to this?  Just curious....
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:26:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
You need to see if it's not too late to get a GAP policy.
View Quote

GAP was part of the deal. I wasn't going to compromise on that.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:26:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Jeep gets wrecked/stolen/totaled, insurance cuts you a check for $15k, the payoff on the loan is $26k, with the balance due immediately... Quick, what's your plan? You need to see if it's not too late to get a GAP policy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can add GAP insurance to my car for about $3/mo as a Progressive customer.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:27:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
OP, do you have other car payments, in addition to this?  Just curious....
View Quote

No
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top