Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:01:49 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My Grandfather & Grandmother heated their home by a pot belly stove.   I know, I chopped kindling for them to ignite the coal they burned in it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck the EPA.  

pretty much this,  they will have one hell of a time trying to ban wood burners.  I have a pot belly I need to put online just because.
My Grandfather & Grandmother heated their home by a pot belly stove.   I know, I chopped kindling for them to ignite the coal they burned in it.

My uncle lived in a house heated by a wood stove until his death in 2007.  I used to bring my chainsaw to cut wood for him when I visited.

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:02:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh and thank you for those awesome POS gas cans that "spill" more fucking gas than preban cans ever did

I understand the need for a division that addresses things of such nature but they truly are idiots at the wheel of this one.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:03:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Oh and thank you for those awesome POS gas cans that "spill" more fucking gas than preban cans ever did

I understand the need for a division that addresses things of such nature but they truly are idiots at the wheel of this one.
View Quote

My jerry cans don't seem to have that problem.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:03:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Come and take it!
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:04:53 AM EDT
[#5]
The correct course of action is to ignore them.

If they really want to make a big deal out of it, make them come enforce it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:05:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Thank the idiots in the suburbs who want to pretend to be mountain men for this.
View Quote

Nope, it's the EPA's strict PM 2.5 regulations, which ensure that many rural places with high numbers of wood stoves are out of compliance with the regulation.

Here's a fun quiz:  According to the EPA, which of these cities has the worst pollution as measured by number of days per year in 2014 that pollution levels exceeded EPA regulations?

A.  Fairbanks, AK

B.  Missoula, MT

C.  Salmon, ID

D.  San Diego, CA

E.  Salt Lake City, UT

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:05:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Wood burning for heat in Alaska is a MAJOR part of life up here.... what's good for downtown Washington DC might not be the best thing for the village of Kobuk... I'm not sure how they can just ban something nation wide without taking things like this into consideration.

- Clint
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:07:05 AM EDT
[#8]
BBQ's will be next.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:07:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I guarantee what kicked this off was some dude living near some EPA bigwig who was burning green wood during the spring or something, leaving a nice haze in the neighborhood.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My stove was made in Canada about 30 years ago so it must be GTG right?

I have it fired-up now...Fuck you EPA, eat my fine particles.

Quoted:

Thank the idiots in the suburbs who want to pretend to be mountain men for this.

Wut?

I guarantee what kicked this off was some dude living near some EPA bigwig who was burning green wood during the spring or something, leaving a nice haze in the neighborhood.

Nope.  It was the PM 2.5 regulations adopted in 2006 that cut the acceptable pollution levels in half.  So in this case, it really is Bush's Fault.  

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:07:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Im going to invent a stove that burns politicians lies.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:08:04 AM EDT
[#11]
It should be a choice

However, you'd have to be crazy or stupid to buy a new stove w/o the secondary burn.  They burn longer and use less wood per btu of output.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:09:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
BBQ's will be next.
View Quote

That is casus belli.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:09:58 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Utah Department of Environmental Quality has proposed a ban on wood burning between November 1 and March 15 for several counties around Salt Lake City

Sure that makes sense.
View Quote

This was shelved long ago.  They only ban burning on days where the fine particulate pollution levels exceed regulatory thresholds.

You can still burn, just only when the weather allows it.

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:11:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Guess I should register my wood burning stove. Lol
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:12:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Been heating with wood for over 10 yrs. now. The EPA can fuck right straight off...Just filled up the Buck insert a few minutes ago.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:13:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Utah Department of Environmental Quality has proposed a ban on wood burning between November 1 and March 15 for several counties around Salt Lake City

Sure that makes sense.
View Quote

what a cluster fuck.   At least they can light one in July I guess... brrrrrrrrr.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:15:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It should be a choice

However, you'd have to be crazy or stupid to buy a new stove w/o the secondary burn.  They burn longer and use less wood per btu of output.
View Quote

I have a newer high efficiency wood stove in the house. Paid over 1k for it. I was thinking about installing a cheap 200.00 low efficiency stove in the garage for occasional use. I'm out that option now. Fuck the EPA to hell.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:18:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Fuck em.  I got a welder, try and regulate what I do in my house ya fascist pricks.  Hopefully building a house this year, and ya can be damn sure it'll have a wood stove that ain't compliant..
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:25:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:27:58 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Some of my wife's family has essentially closed down their outside wood burning stove business because of this decision.  They have known about it for a while and no senator or representative seemed to care or was shocked to find out it was even happening.  They will continue to sell parts and service the stoves but no additional new sales.  Keep in mind that the outside wood stoves will heat your house and domestic hot water, greatly cutting your utility cost.  Why do you think the government is against this?  Simple, they are not able to tax wood.
View Quote
They can just sell 80% part kits

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:37:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Banning something that literally keeps people alive day after day for decades, or their entire life.

That is how a revolution starts.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:43:08 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Banning something that literally keeps people alive day after day for decades, or their entire life.

That is how a revolution starts.
View Quote

It's actually not what is happening here.  The EPA hasn't banned anything; they mandated all new stoves made and sold in the US must meet new emissions standards.  You can still buy a new wood stove, it will just cost you several hundred dollars more now.

"Pre-ban" stoves are still legal to possess and sell.  I have a wood stove in my cabin that is probably at least 50 years old that I will continue to use every time I go there.

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:45:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Plenty of Propane tanks and steel barrels out there. Good luck stopping people from making their own.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:46:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have a newer high efficiency wood stove in the house. Paid over 1k for it. I was thinking about installing a cheap 200.00 low efficiency stove in the garage for occasional use. I'm out that option now. Fuck the EPA to hell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It should be a choice

Check craigslist for a used one.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:53:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Guys, that article is from January 16, 2015.  This has all taken place already.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:59:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

That doesnt make it right...
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 1:00:19 AM EDT
[#27]
When I open my Vermont casting Defiant 1 wood stove, the upper fireback has 1975 forged on it.  It's not going anywhere.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 1:02:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
As long as there is steel and welders you are never gonna ban wood stoves.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It will just make them more expensive and make us tear out more shit to make it serviceable, just like lawnmowers.
As long as there is steel and welders you are never gonna ban wood stoves.

This is what I came here to post.  

Even outdoor wood boilers only require a water pump, a thermostat and a solenoid.  Blowers if you want to get fancy.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 1:04:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have my 1984 Hutch Rebel insert cooking right now at 500 degrees. I'm toasty! Burning Ash - that's fairly clean wood.

I was thinking about picking up a wood burning stove at Tractor Supply when they go on clearance, now I know I will.

Fook you EPA!!
View Quote

I was in tractor supply yesterday.

Everything they had was thin gauge junk.  Search craigslist for old stoves.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 1:08:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.....And I never said it did....

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 1:12:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm against government mandates like this.  However, when I get the secondary combustion going on my new Pacific Energy insert, it burns hotter and slower than the old Buck Stove that it replaced.  In other words, the emissions reduction technology actually does make it heat better and wood lasts longer.

But it should be a choice, not a requirement.
View Quote

That's unpossible. Government only knows how to destroy good things.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 1:14:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
And does this apply to the outdoor-type systems too?  I thought I heard it did.

Also what exactly are they adding to these more efficient models?  A scrubber of some type or catayslt or just trying make them burn hotter?

Just talking to a local restaurant owner the other day about his pizza oven and fireplace built out of recycled stone from 7 old chimneys...
View Quote

There are some fireplace inserts (e.g., Jotul) where there is re-combustion of unburned hydrocarbons based on how the air is recirculated. No catalytic converters or the like. Just a better, more efficient design.

Hopefully these will still be made.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 1:16:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Time to start neckbearding wood burning stoves!!!

I wonder what a preban stove will go for?
View Quote

Six bricks of .22!
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 1:20:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm against government mandates like this.  However, when I get the secondary combustion going on my new Pacific Energy insert, it burns hotter and slower than the old Buck Stove that it replaced.  In other words, the emissions reduction technology actually does make it heat better and wood lasts longer.

But it should be a choice, not a requirement.
View Quote

My wood burning insert, once it reaches the proper temperature, burns incredibly clean. The smoke actually burns. No visible smoke comes out the chimney.

My pellet stove, however, does whatever it does.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 1:41:07 AM EDT
[#35]
lol, wtf ever EPA, you have fun with that ridiculousness.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 1:50:52 AM EDT
[#36]
They can only regulate, that which allows itself to be regulated.

New production stoves, with secondary combustion are a damn good thing.

The old designs are much less efficient, just easier to put together, and cheaper.

It's a war on the poor really.
No two ways about it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 1:54:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Time to start neckbearding wood burning stoves!!!

I wonder what a preban stove will go for?
View Quote

You have no idea how many home made wood burning stoves I've seen. They're not that hard to make if you know how to weld or know someone who does. I'd love to see them do home invasions for illegally made wood burning stoves. That won't go over well even with the hippies.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 1:56:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

My uncle lived in a house heated by a wood stove until his death in 2007.  I used to bring my chainsaw to cut wood for him when I visited.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck the EPA.  

pretty much this,  they will have one hell of a time trying to ban wood burners.  I have a pot belly I need to put online just because.

I heated my last home with a wood burning soap stone stove. Nothing like having wood heat, the smell & ambiance are par none.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 1:58:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Im going to invent a stove that burns politicians lies.
View Quote

You're a modern day Nikola Tesla! I'd go into hiding if I were you!
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 2:00:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It should be a choice

View Quote

The best ones are the ones with the baffles at the top of the fire chambers and the heat exchanger tubes that vent hot air into the top of the fire chamber right below the baffle. I've had my stove to the point it was burning the smoke of the wood only and had a blue/green fire dancing across the top of the smoke chamber. Very efficient and beautiful at the same time.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 2:02:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'd suggest buying the stainless triple wall pipe ASAP.  The supply of that will likely dry up--or become VERY expensive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck em.  I got a welder, try and regulate what I do in my house ya fascist pricks.  Hopefully building a house this year, and ya can be damn sure it'll have a wood stove that ain't compliant..

I'd suggest buying the stainless triple wall pipe ASAP.  The supply of that will likely dry up--or become VERY expensive.

For wood burning stoves it's best to have what they call a "Class A" chimney. Double wall with insulation packed in between the two walls.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 2:05:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I have finally witnessed the death of good judgement and common sense.
View Quote

Two days ago I declared that "common sense" is no longer a valid term to use. It is now "uncommon sense". Well over half the human race are fucking complete morons who are destroying the world with their idiocy. Unfortunately our advances in technology are what caused this. Morons are surviving to procreate and their offspring become morons who also procreate.

Of course I'm sure some "head in the sand" jackwad will be along shortly to tell me how everything is fine and we just need to "stay strong".
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 2:06:57 AM EDT
[#43]
this is what happens when bureaucracy has to justify itself.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 2:16:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 2:32:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Big government knows best. Personally, it should be a state or local government issue.
View Quote

Ask some of the CA members with wood stoves what their state says.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 3:34:36 AM EDT
[#46]

I was in tractor supply yesterday.

Everything they had was thin gauge junk.  Search craigslist for old stoves.
View Quote

Bought a USSC woodstove at TS about seven years ago.  I burn about three pickup bed loads of wood in it a year.  Aside from a little rattling noise from the forced air fan from time to time it still looks great and functions like new.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 8:40:26 AM EDT
[#47]
"It seems that even wood isn’t green or renewable enough anymore,”

No, its the idiots who burn green wood, tires and fiberglass/plastic.

OWB's are good, people are just stupid.

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 8:57:48 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Sure that makes sense.
View Quote

At a County level it would make sense if you had a city like this.  In the back woods, a Federal law will just make more thought criminals.

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:27:42 AM EDT
[#49]
I burn a goddamn tractor tire with Diesel fuel every Earth Day.

And yes, I actually do it.  

I may have to start burning one on the day the EPA was created as well......Good thing for me that used tractor tires are not had to find....
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:32:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Fuck the .gov.............they want to control every facet of life "for our own good".
Is this still America??????
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top