Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/30/2016 8:04:24 PM EDT
I mean, it's not really a primary, is it?

Do they vote?

Who votes?

Everyone?

Or Just those caucusing?

I'm confused, can we skip to New Hampshire where they vote...?
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#1]
In on
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 8:08:46 PM EDT
[#2]
It's what someone from Boston calls what the rest of us know as a "cactus"
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 8:10:27 PM EDT
[#3]
A big group of dickheads getting together to nominate the biggest dickhead.  Only misguided dicks vote.  Don't go unless you're prepared to be party of a bunch of dickheads.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 8:10:39 PM EDT
[#4]
A bunch of people get together and the strong personalities bully the week personalities into supporting their chosen candidate, then they vote?

Correct me if I am wrong.

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 8:13:01 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a made-up American word, meaning a group of people sharing similar concerns.
Perloined by the American political class to confuse the peasants, and twisted to mean a meeting of people with similar political concerns.

Anyone using the word is a political junkie and should be shunned.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 8:13:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Something you do behind a bush ...
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 8:14:59 PM EDT
[#7]
“What I was going to say,” said the Dodo in an offended tone, “was, that the best thing to get us dry would be a Caucus-race.”

“What is a Caucus-race?” said Alice; not that she much wanted to know, but the Dodo had paused as if it thought that somebody ought to speak, and no one else seemed inclined to say anything.

“Why,” said the Dodo, “the best way to explain it is to do it.” (And, as you might like to try the thing yourself, some winter day, I will tell you how the Dodo managed it.)

First it marked out a race-course, in a sort of circle ("the exact shape doesn’t matter,” it said), and then all the party were placed along the course, here and there.

There was no “One, two, three, and away!” but they began running when they liked, and left off when they liked, so that it was not easy to know when the race was over. However, when they had been running half an hour or so, and were quite dry again, the Dodo suddenly called out “The race is over!” and they all crowded round it, panting, and asking, “But who has won?”

This question the Dodo could not answer without a great deal of thought, and it stood for a long time with one finger pressed upon its forehead (the position in which you usually see Shakespeare, in the pictures of him), while the rest waited in silence.

At last the Dodo said, “Everybody has won, and all must have prizes.”

“But who is to give the prizes?” quite a chorus of voices asked.

“Why, she, of course,” said the Dodo, pointing to Alice with one finger; and the whole party at once crowded round her, calling out, in a confused way, “Prizes! Prizes!”

Alice had no idea what to do, and in despair she put her hand in her pocket, and pulled out a box of comfits (luckily the salt water had not got into it), and handed them round as prizes. There was exactly one a-piece, all round.
View Quote

So, according to Alice in Wonderland, a means by which to dry off.

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 8:19:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Cold, wall of text; tl;dr avoid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_caucuses

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 8:20:51 PM EDT
[#9]
It's a penus
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 8:25:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Arfcaucusalypse
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:52:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Arfcaucusalypse
View Quote
This could be worse than Y2K.

I'll get snacks.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:56:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link hotified
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:56:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Think it means voting bloc. For a particular party. Since this is a primary and they are voting for Presidential candidates. A caucus is whoever supports a particular candidate in a particular party. So, many caucuses. Potentially.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:03:12 PM EDT
[#14]
It's what grandma broke, as in, "grandma broke her caucus..."
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:04:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Link hotified
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link hotified

I can hot link, I am just lazy

Donald Trump reclaims lead in latest Iowa poll
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:12:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link hotified

My wife is taking two friends that have never gone, and will be going to the caucus Monday. They are all voting for Trump. I'm staying home because I can't handle crowds or raucousness.  

We've been to several in the past.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:35:02 PM EDT
[#17]
It is a vote. In the Iowa caucus anyone registered to vote can attend.  You register with a political party usually dem/reb.  You can only vote in your parties caucus.

The difference between a primary and caucus is that with a primary you just cast a ballet and leave like the general election.

In a caucus you have to sit in a room with other people and actively discuss who should get elected and why -- sometimes for hours. In the republican caucus after discussions you cast a "secret" ballot. In the democrat caucus you must openly declare who you are  voting for.

In other words anyone with a real job/family is way too busy to deal with 3 hours of back and fourth before you can vote. So only really politically motivated people show up....
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:38:48 PM EDT
[#18]
If you're in Yakima County, WA in 2012 you have the local GOP leader going up and down the line asking who the people are there to support. Anyone that said Ron Paul wasn't allowed in.

If you're in King County, WA the local GOP leader demanded that the Ron Paul campaign cut them a check to cover the insurance for the buildings rental or they would have to leave. All the Paul supporters ended up outside on a basketball court.

In other words, it's nothing more than a "good ol boy network" that decides our candidate.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:43:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Caucus:  a group for Jeb
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:44:22 PM EDT
[#20]
A cactus is a thorny desert plant.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cactus

There are also some good youtube videos on them.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:57:36 PM EDT
[#21]
It's when a group of people get together to pick their next elected leader. It stems from the old English "Cock Us" which is what was said when English peasants lined up and asked the Lord of the manor to fuck them in the ass as an honor.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 1:59:40 AM EDT
[#22]
It's a white thing......
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 2:01:54 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

It's a white thing......
View Quote
And mountainous

Link Posted: 1/31/2016 2:04:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Do they vote?

Who votes?

Everyone?

Or Just those caucusing?

View Quote

short answer: it's a venue for all candidates to whip out there dicks, and let the voters decide who will be their choice, to go on their ballot.

in other words, it's just a waste of time and money, to put on a really shitty dog&pony show.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 2:08:03 AM EDT
[#25]
its something that most people look at as a joke because it really doesnt matter who wins it, someone else usually wins the primary
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 10:34:21 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

A big group of dickheads getting together to nominate the biggest dickhead.  Only misguided dicks vote.  Don't go unless you're prepared to be party of a bunch of dickheads.
View Quote
I'm in Ohio. Our primary is in March.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 10:35:57 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Arfcaucusalypse
View Quote
Tomorrow.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 10:39:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

It is a vote. In the Iowa caucus anyone registered to vote can attend.  You register with a political party usually dem/reb.  You can only vote in your parties caucus.

The difference between a primary and caucus is that with a primary you just cast a ballet and leave like the general election.

In a caucus you have to sit in a room with other people and actively discuss who should get elected and why -- sometimes for hours. In the republican caucus after discussions you cast a "secret" ballot. In the democrat caucus you must openly declare who you are  voting for.

In other words anyone with a real job/family is way too busy to deal with 3 hours of back and fourth before you can vote. So only really politically motivated people show up....
View Quote
So, does EACH person's selection vote count?

Or does each particular "caucus" HAVE to come to a consensus, and the CAUCUS actually votes as a group?

And how does it translate to delegates?
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 10:40:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Sounds pretty racist to me. Just like niggardly.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 10:49:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's for caucusians.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 10:51:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Near as I can figure a caucus is a politically correct term for a cluster fuck.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:08:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Isn't that where Hitler was heading to with the 6th Army?
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:10:30 AM EDT
[#34]
See also: Circle jerk
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#35]
It's a harkin back to yesteryear
A seamless,timeless tradition
A test of fortitude,diligence,dedication
A race like no other
Iowa primary Caucasus
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:14:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If you're in Yakima County, WA in 2012 you have the local GOP leader going up and down the line asking who the people are there to support. Anyone that said Ron Paul wasn't allowed in.

If you're in King County, WA the local GOP leader demanded that the Ron Paul campaign cut them a check to cover the insurance for the buildings rental or they would have to leave. All the Paul supporters ended up outside on a basketball court.

In other words, it's nothing more than a "good ol boy network" that decides our candidate.
View Quote

This is the kind of shenanigan bullshit I envision in Iowa.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:21:14 AM EDT
[#37]
My wife was sitting on the couch with her sister and she asked me, "Do you want to caucus"?
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:32:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Caucus is the sound people make when they hock up a wad of phlegm (known as a loogey).
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:54:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It's when a group of people get together to pick their next elected leader. It stems from the old English "Cock Us" which is what was said when English peasants lined up and asked the Lord of the manor to fuck them in the ass as an honor.
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:58:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 12:06:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Oh forget it.

Link Posted: 1/31/2016 12:14:53 PM EDT
[#42]
If I make it in time, I'll be caucusing for Trump.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 12:16:54 PM EDT
[#43]
It's both a verb and a noun.  Man, I feel as smart as Johnny_Reno in I Will Answer Ten Questions (but everyone knows I'm closer to Substandard in mental capability).
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 12:24:08 PM EDT
[#44]
cauc us
cock
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 1:20:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Phonics is your friend

Cock-Ass

Their cock your ass.  Here in NV it is a clusterfuck of the worst order.

To start with, they had a rule making session in August - in fucking Winnemucca MV.  "They" are the faceless that run the republlicrat party in NV.

If you feel like fighting with a bunch of RINO asswipes, and you can actually get through the door - be prepared for 4 hours of incredible stupidity.  That's right - 4 fucking hours.  If you don't support the management candidate (probably Jeb this year) they will tag-team you, browbeat you and use every strawman argument in the book.  

They will insult everything from your intelligence to your haircut if you don't agree with them. It looks like an intervention for any dissenter.  The whole thing resembles a bad night in GD - without moderators.

"They" are supposed to provide a ballot at the beginning of the meeting.  While they followed that rule last time...  there was NO Ballot Box - that would not be available until the meeting was over at 9pm.  While unspoken, it was VERY clear that the results were preordained.  

So to have my vote go uncounted this year I will have to stay in a room full of assholes that are planning to "get in your face"  to change my mind.  

Link Posted: 1/31/2016 1:34:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It's what someone from Boston calls what the rest of us know as a "cactus"
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/31/2016 3:49:07 PM EDT
[#47]
It is the plural of "caucme".

In the hood it is "caucboofus"

Link Posted: 1/31/2016 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Do they vote?

Who votes?

Everyone?

Or Just those caucusing?

View Quote

I'm intrigued as well.

To me the Caucuses are these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasus

How the name came to be associated politics is a new one on me.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 3:59:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

lol so in other words, you've been kicked out twice?
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 4:03:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It's for caucusians.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's for caucusians.

Are the black caucuses larger than the white caucuses?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top