Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/3/2016 9:02:21 PM EDT
According to the IRS’s numbers for 2011:

The top 10 percent of US wage-earners pay two-thirds of the income tax. The bottom 50 percent — all Americans with an income below the median — pay 3 percent.

The top one percent earn 19 percent of the total income and pay 35 percent of the federal income tax.

The top 0.1 percent pay 16 percent of the income tax.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:07:30 PM EDT
[#1]
yes i do
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:08:23 PM EDT
[#2]
The problem is that too many people don't have skin in the game.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:08:43 PM EDT
[#3]
The rich pay everyone's share.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:09:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Can we just have a 10% flat tax and be done with it please?
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:09:23 PM EDT
[#5]
More than enough. There is too much waste in our system.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:10:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The problem is that too many people don't have skin in the game.
View Quote

Wisdom.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:11:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I would like to see poor people pay their fair share, never gonna happen though.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:13:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Always love this analogy.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:14:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I would like to see poor people pay their fair share, never gonna happen though.
View Quote
But some DemocRAT would give them the extra money so they could pay it, just to be fair.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:15:05 PM EDT
[#10]
So I'll be the first on the topic......

What is fair?

Paying the same percentage as everyone else?

Just because they worked harder or were smarter in developing something and made more money should they have to pay more of their income on a percentage basis than anyone else?

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:15:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Even if they paid the same rates as everyone else, what people ALWAYS fail to talk about is they do the lion's share of investment and risk in starting business and inspiring entrepreneurial growth.

The ultra-rich are the prosperity engine. They will take all the risks that make the next Google and Amazon, or Apple & Lululemon for people to work at and thrive under, and all the small businesses that rely on venture capitalists.

They are also the early-adopters of all the technology and advancements that you have to have in order for things to trickle down to us....just think about big-screen TV's. When they were $9,000, who was going to buy them to keep the technology rolling? Super rich. Now? You can buy them for $200.

When you attack them, shit grinds to a halt.

Liberals need to be assaulted with this argument. When I've explained this to people who are populist or Bernie folks, it's what reaches them more than taxation talk.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:16:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote
It is so wrong to get money back that was never paid in the first place.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:16:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Nope. Full communism now.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:18:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, and my share too...
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:18:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The top 10 percent of US wage-earners pay two-thirds of the income tax. The bottom 50 percent — all Americans with an income below the median — pay 3 percent.

The top one percent earn 19 percent of the total income and pay 35 percent of the federal income tax.

View Quote

This is a silly way to look at this problem.  Of course the people that have money will pay more than people without money. Duh
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:26:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This is a silly way to look at this problem.  Of course the people that have money will pay more than people without money. Duh
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you think would be a sensible way to look at the numbers?
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:27:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Even if they paid the same rates as everyone else, what people ALWAYS fail to talk about is they do the lion's share of investment and risk in starting business and inspiring entrepreneurial growth.

The ultra-rich are the prosperity engine. They will take all the risks that make the next Google and Amazon, or Apple & Lululemon for people to work at and thrive under, and all the small businesses that rely on venture capitalists.

They are also the early-adopters of all the technology and advancements that you have to have in order for things to trickle down to us....just think about big-screen TV's. When they were $9,000, who was going to buy them to keep the technology rolling? Super rich. Now? You can buy them for $200.

Liberals need to be assaulted with this argument. When I've explained this to people who are populist or Bernie folks, it's what reaches them more than taxation talk.

View Quote

Mmmmmmmmm......not quite.  Larry Page and Sergey Brin, as well as Jeff Bezos and Steve Jobs were most definitely NOT ultra rich, rich, or even well off when they founded their respective companies.  They were, in fact, FAR from being rich.  They were people with radical ideas, immeasurable desire and very little money when they started their businesses.  It was creativity and hard work - and not deep pockets - that led to successful business ventures.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:29:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Something about "I never worked for a poor guy that could make payroll every week"
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:38:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Mmmmmmmmm......not quite.  Larry Page and Sergey Brin, as well as Jeff Bezos and Steve Jobs were most definitely NOT ultra rich, rich, or even well off when they founded their respective companies.  They were, in fact, FAR from being rich.  They were people with radical ideas, immeasurable desire and very little money when they started their businesses.  It was creativity and hard work - and not deep pockets - that led to successful business ventures.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You totally misunderstand me. They had to have investors to start those companies....the ideas don't fund themselves.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:45:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Define rich?

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:46:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uhhhh, every one of your examples actually fits swingset's argument.  Every one of those people were FUNDED by a wealthy person.  Take Steve Jobs.  He was funded by a $250,000 investment from a wealthy ex-IBM executive.  So yes, the ultra wealthy are the prosperity engine even in your examples.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:46:51 PM EDT
[#22]
There really should be a cut off once you make a certain amount and have paid the taxes on that amount. It makes no sense that a rich person has to pay 87x as much taxes when they likely use the government's "services" no more than the average person. Hell, in most cases they probably use those services less than the average person. I think that amount should be around $100k right now. Anything you make over that, you get to keep all of it.

/ Not a rich person.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:48:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Don't worry, Bernie has a plan. Tax all the rich people until they aren't rich. Everyone will be equal. Then to keep the money flowing in, tax the rich again...oh shit, now I see the problem
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:48:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Uhhhh, every one of your examples actually fits swingset's argument.  Every one of those people were FUNDED by a wealthy person.  Take Steve Jobs.  He was funded by a $250,000 investment from a wealthy ex-IBM executive.  So yes, the ultra wealthy are the prosperity engine even in your examples.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Things seem well in hand here.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:49:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Define rich?

View Quote

A recent New York Times poll showed 27 percent of Americans believe a family of four can be considered "rich” if its annual income is between $100,000 and $200,000, while another 20 percent say "rich” is defined as making between $200,000 and $300,000 a year.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:49:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Would love to see Comrade Bernie live on camera mumbling a response to high-profile Democrats who avoid taxes by laundering income through a faux charity foundation.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:50:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
There really should be a cut off once you make a certain amount and have paid the taxes on that amount. It makes no sense that a rich person has to pay 87x as much taxes when they likely use the government's "services" no more than the average person. Hell, in most cases they probably use those services less than the average person. I think that amount should be around $100k right now. Anything you make over that, you get to keep all of it.

/ Not a rich person.
View Quote

this so much there should be a cap...

our founding fathers would be pissed...
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:51:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Yes
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:51:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

sadly... the regular"rich" get balled in with the mega -rich .001%. The .001% exploit the system and pay little tax in comparison with what they extract from the country. I talking about the infrastructure, resources, military... etc.

small business owners who managed to make themselves millionaires are not the problem... in fact they are the backbone of the U.S.  The only RICH  that are not paying thier fair share are way beyond  the bottom .999% of the top 1%

Even thought the ultra rich are not paying in what they take out of the country... they are not the enemy. The politicians that do their bidding are the enemy.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:51:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Right....Leona was the only rich person to cheat the tax man?

Aloha, Mark

PS............

We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes.

LEONA HELMSLEY

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:52:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Yes and no.

The truly rich entirely control the amount of taxable income they have in any given year, and thus the amount of tax they pay.  

Top 10% of wage earners doesnt classify you as even remotely rich, and most of those people are getting boned by taxes.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:54:13 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

A recent New York Times poll showed 27 percent of Americans believe a family of four can be considered "rich” if its annual income is between $100,000 and $200,000, while another 20 percent say "rich” is defined as making between $200,000 and $300,000 a year.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Define rich?

A recent Zimbabwe National Register poll showed that 106% of Zimbabweans polled believe a family of four can be considered rich if none of them have aids and they own hut with more than 3 walls.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:55:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:56:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yes and no.

The truly rich entirely control the amount of taxable income they have in any given year, and thus the amount of tax they pay.  

Top 10% of wage earners doesnt classify you as even remotely rich, and most of those people are getting boned by taxes.
View Quote

This.....    i suppose i am in the top; 10% and i get fucked like a community fleshlight in a supermax prison.  I hope bernie sanders realizes this before he decides i need to get railoed a bit more..
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:56:07 PM EDT
[#35]
I'd bet that Bernie probably always paid the IRS a fair share.

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:56:17 PM EDT
[#36]
We paid low $100's k in federal taxes last year.

doesn't count state, which was in the 5 figures.

Doesn't count property taxes from school district, county, and municipal, which, all tolled for one year was almost $15k.

Also, still paying off the education for my wife that helped contribute to that income.

My father was a truck driver.  My wife's father was a WWII vet who went to night school on the GI bill after the war to become a Chemist and Farmer on the side.

My wife was a Nurse before getting into medical school.

I paid for my BA on the GI bill and after getting out of the Army, went to Law school at night while working during the day.

But yeah, there's a whole cohort who would penalize US for being evil 1%.  When they come to purge us as Kulaks, I hope I'm still young enough to be a combatant.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:56:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:56:47 PM EDT
[#38]
That's why they use the term "fair" - because it can mean anything you want.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:58:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Define rich?

Looks like 47% don't know shit. It seems obvious that not 1 person in that 47% is at a 100k+ or that couldn't honestly believe that.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:58:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Does their car tear up the road more than yours?
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:58:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:58:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Perfect place to ask most people in GD are rich myself included.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:58:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

sadly... the regular"rich" get balled in with the mega -rich .001%. The .001% exploit the system and pay little tax in comparison with what they extract from the country. I talking about the infrastructure, resources, military... etc.

small business owners who managed to make themselves millionaires are not the problem... in fact they are the backbone of the U.S.  The only RICH  that are not paying thier fair share are way beyond  the bottom .999% of the top 1%

Even thought the ultra rich are not paying in what they take out of the country... they are not the enemy. The politicians that do their bidding are the enemy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yet what the .001% pays in taxes in one year is still more than I will pay in a lifetime.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:59:01 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

A recent Zimbabwe National Register poll showed that 106% of Zimbabweans polled believe a family of four can be considered rich if none of them have aids and they own hut with more than 3 walls.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Define rich?

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:00:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Yes. All this BS about rich people not paying enough is just that.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:00:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:01:25 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Then we should take one of each of their paired organs.

Whether we use them or not.

If they're too diseased to be used for transplantation, we should make "the poor" feed them to live jackals after the removal surgery.

So they know how we feel paying for their upkeep.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:01:52 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

That's why they use the term "fair" - because it can mean anything you want.
View Quote

Exactly. The more people who are forced to pay under that label, the lower the definition of 'fair' becomes....until we all make the same regardless of our skillsets.

It's called socialism.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:02:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:02:05 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Anyone working above the table for more than mininum wage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Define rich?

Anyone working above the table for more than mininum wage.

If they're non hispanic white or asian, that is.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top