Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2016 10:12:48 PM EDT
Neither the air handler in the attic or the condenser outside turn on.

breakers are not tripped in breaker box or side of air handler.

When I mess around with the thermostat, can hear the relays in it clicking on.

For troubleshooting purposes, is it even possible for the condenser outside to turn on without the air handler?

sadly have no tools to measure if any of the wires are hot.

Any thoughts?

Not sure if I need to be calling an electrician or my hvac guy.

thanks

thanks for the help

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:14:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Bad fetzer valve
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:18:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Capacitor starter relay?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:20:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Control transformer. Might be a fuse or breaker on it. Should read 24 to 26 volts.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:22:31 PM EDT
[#4]
With no tools you're kind of screwed.

Call Hvac guy.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:23:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Check to see if the condensate drain line is plugged and has flooded the pan.  The float switch on the pan/drain line stops the whole show if it's stuck or tripped due to a plugged drain.  I'd say 60% of the failures are because of this and are an easy fix.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:25:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Mine did that last summer. It was the thermostat.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:26:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Check to see if the condensate drain line is plugged and has flooded the pan.  The float switch on the pan/drain line stops the whole show if it's stuck or tripped due to a plugged drain.  I'd say 60% of the failures are because of this and are an easy fix.
View Quote

This.

Without tools you're stuck looking for obvious stuff like this.

Also, look at the starter capacitor(s) and see if they're bulged or split, or the contacts look fried. That's a common failure point and sometimes is very obvious.

Check your t-stat, make sure the batteries are good before troubleshooting.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:30:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Capacitor starter relay?
View Quote

My guess is on this
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:32:58 PM EDT
[#9]
checked float valve-  its fine.

is it even possible for the condenser to kick on without the air handler on? or are they linked where handler has to tell condenser to start?

really just trying to troubleshoot this to point of who to call - electrician or a/c guy first.

I had to have a few breakers in my electrical panel replaced a couple years ago. was told the entire panel was needing to be replaced soon so I am wondering if I have an issue there.

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:33:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This.

Also, look at the starter capacitor(s) and see if they're bulged or split, or the contacts look fried. That's a common failure point and sometimes is very obvious.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

This

However, if you don't have basic tools to measure voltage you probably don't need to be opening up the unit to inspect the other items.  If you do make sure to turn off power at the disconnect on the outdoor unit and the indoor unit.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:36:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

is it even possible for the condenser to kick on without the air handler on? or are they linked where handler has to tell condenser to start?

really just trying to troubleshoot this to point of who to call - electrician or a/c guy first.

I had to have a few breakers in my electrical panel replaced a couple years ago. was told the entire panel was needing to be replaced soon so I am wondering if I have an issue there.

View Quote

Sure the condenser can run without the fan, but the indoor coil will eventually freeze up.

You really need to check voltage at your unit.

Red - 24V
Black - Common
Green - Fan
Yellow - Condenser Command
Orange or Blue - Reversing Valve (only if heat pump unit)
White - Aux Heat

Those are the standard colors, now depending on which bubba wired your unit it could be vastly different than that.

If testing voltage for cooling you should have 24V on Red, Yellow, and Green (possibly orange if heat pump). You'll need to test it at the thermostat and at the indoor unit and outdoor unit.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:37:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Check float in drain pan, if not clogged or stuck look at capacitor on outside unit. You should use a meter but it the capacitor is swollen the its pretty much shot.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:38:21 PM EDT
[#13]
too much information, how many manufactures and model numbers do you have?

reset breakers marked heat, heck reset all double pole breakers. check batteries in stat. check all float switches
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:39:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Sure the condenser can run without the fan, but the indoor coil will eventually freeze up.

Red - 24V
Black - Common
Green - Fan
White - Aux Heat

Those are the standard colors, now depending on which bubba wired your unit it could be vastly different than that.

If testing voltage for cooling you should have 24V on Red, Yellow, and Green (possibly orange if heat pump). You'll need to test it at the thermostat and at the indoor unit and outdoor unit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Red - 24V
Black - Common
Green - Fan
White - Aux Heat

Pfft the best is when some cheap jag off uses 6 different runs of 2 wire...
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:42:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
too much information, how many manufactures and model numbers do you have?

reset breakers marked heat, heck reset all double pole breakers. check batteries in stat. check all float switches
View Quote

I forgot about the breakers. Definitely check them. I have had breakers at work that were joined trip one. When I jiggled them they felt untripped. When I flipped them both to off and back on the unit started. Before that the inside unit would run but not the outside.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:47:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:48:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Pfft the best is when some cheap jag off uses 6 different runs of 2 wire...
View Quote

We installed controls at a school one time and it would have been the perfect place to test troubleshooting techniques to HVAC students. They had their units donated, so it was a variety of different units all with their own unique wiring.

I could also strangle guys who run thermostat wires through 3 J boxes changing the wiring colors at each junction.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:54:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Without a meter you are fairly screwed in the troubleshooting department.

Everyone at the very least should have a cheap meter in their house.
View Quote

You priced one at Harbor Freight lately? Fucking $5, bro! That's a lot of smackeroonies.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:55:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Bad fetzer valve
View Quote

Just happened to mine. It would turn on, Fire up, Then shutdown
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:59:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bad fetzer valve

Fixed it by cleaning your flame present sensor?  
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:09:13 PM EDT
[#21]
is there an easy way to bypass the thermostat for troubleshooting and to rule it out?

thermostat has red, yellow, green and white wire. red has a jumper between RC and RH terminal.

yes, I flipped all the breakers on and off.

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:14:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
is there an easy way to bypass the thermostat for troubleshooting and to rule it out?

thermostat has red, yellow, green and white wire. red has a jumper between RC and RH terminal.

View Quote

Take a jumper wire and jump between Red and Green. Indoor fan should come on. If that works you have 24V. Then if you need to get cooling running wire nut Red, Green, and Yellow together. When you get too cold undo the wire nut.

If you don't have fan then you don't have 24V and that could be bad transformer, bad thermostat, blown 5A control fuse, or some safety lockout. Call an HVAC tech.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:26:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Take a jumper wire and jump between Red and Green. Indoor fan should come on. If that works you have 24V. Then if you need to get cooling running wire nut Red, Green, and Yellow together. When you get too cold undo the wire nut.

If you don't have fan then you don't have 24V and that could be bad transformer, bad thermostat, blown 5A control fuse, or some safety lockout. Call an HVAC tech.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

nothing comes on bypassing the thermostat.

Guess I will call my hvac guy in the morning.

thanks for all the help

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:30:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1, above is my first thought and usually the culprit.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:34:26 PM EDT
[#25]
We had a bug in between the contacts on our outdoor unit.  It wouldn't do anything.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:49:57 PM EDT
[#26]

Look on the front of your indoor unit for a fuse. It will be a round automotive fuse. If it blows nothing will come on.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:01:18 AM EDT
[#27]
I think that they usually give them away with purchase.

Quoted:

You priced one at Harbor Freight lately? Fucking $5, bro! That's a lot of smackeroonies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Without a meter you are fairly screwed in the troubleshooting department.

Everyone at the very least should have a cheap meter in their house.

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:23:34 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote
Barring any physical damage, your panel should not need replaced. Worn breakers can look on and still have the internals "open"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top