User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:05:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I agree completely.

I've been writing a novel about Frederick Douglas that was just purchased by a Universal Pictures affiliate and has been green lighted for production on the big screen in 2017.

My favorite actor is Brendon Gleeson. He will make a perfect Frederick Douglas, IMO.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whats wrong with Idris Elba, dude is a badass actor? Are you limpdicks really that butthurt that a black guy is cast in a movie based on a book where the character was white? It has no bearing on the plot whatsoever, it literally doesn't matter what color the dudes skin is. The guy that wrote the fucking story had a hand in the casting for fucks sake.

Because it changed the story, there are sub plots in the book about one character who hates white people, and she instantly hates Roland because he is WHITE! I fear this is going to be like the majority of film adaptations of King's books and SUCK.

I agree completely.

I've been writing a novel about Frederick Douglas that was just purchased by a Universal Pictures affiliate and has been green lighted for production on the big screen in 2017.

My favorite actor is Brendon Gleeson. He will make a perfect Frederick Douglas, IMO.

That would be fucking priceless.

Whats wrong with Brendon Gleeson, dude is a badass actor? Are you limpdicks really that butthurt that a white guy is cast in a movie based on a book where the character was black? It has no bearing on the plot whatsoever, it literally doesn't matter what color the dudes skin is. The guy that wrote the fucking story had a hand in the casting for fucks sake.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Awesome British actor, I'm okay with this.

For some reason, there is a seething hatred for him around here.

Anson Mount would've been a better choice though.
View Quote

Seething hatred for Idris Elba? Somehow I don't think so.

As far as the casting, it does have a major impact on some of the sub-plots and other characters casting. I would have liked to see Michael Fassbender as Roland. He has the look and is a really great actor.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:06:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:07:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

then write the story as a black character.  Don't write it as a white character then when its convenient to be PC, change your mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whats wrong with Idris Elba, dude is a badass actor? Are you limpdicks really that butthurt that a black guy is cast in a movie based on a book where the character was white? It has no bearing on the plot whatsoever, it literally doesn't matter what color the dudes skin is. The guy that wrote the fucking story had a hand in the casting for fucks sake.

then write the story as a black character.  Don't write it as a white character then when its convenient to be PC, change your mind.

I will hold out to see his performance.  Who cares what color the actor is if he is a good actor?  When i read "Rising Sun" i never pictured Web Smith as a black man, i don't even recall if it was ever mentioned, but Wesley Snipes played the part well.  After that i couldn't visualize Web Smith as anyone BUT Snipes.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:07:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If they do a movie that includes the Kingdom of Gilead, will Roland be the only black kid there for some reason or will Gilead somehow be an African nation?  It makes no sense dude.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If they do a movie that includes the Kingdom of Gilead, will Roland be the only black kid there for some reason or will Gilead somehow be an African nation?  It makes no sense dude.

Idris Elba is an amazing actor, I can't think of anything I saw him in where he wasn't excellent, but you have a point with internal consistency.

Internal consistency is something which often goes out the window when producers start worrying about what the internet will say about their show. I mean BBC's Robin Hood had black people as extras in Nottingham...it was a fun show, how does that make any sense in England in the 1200s that there are enough black people around that there are like 8 of them in every random crowd shot in town? Beowulf has an entire Viking/Saxon tribe of black people...makes no sense at all, but hey the show is basically Hercules for the 21st century so whatever.

In general I really don't care about them switching races of characters around unless it's in two specific cases: Something's supposed to be historical/semi-historical or if the setting is set up in a certain way, like if the Ironborn on Game of Thrones were all Korean on the show; the other is when they're doing a reboot/remake of an established show/movie and they switch races/genders around apparently just for shits and giggles, especially when explaining the character's new background doesn't make any damn sense at all.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:08:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Elba is awesome. Who cares if he is black or white? He's a great actor and classy dude.

GD almost had a meltdown when the rumor came out that he was going to be the next Bond.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I agree completely.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because it changed the story, there are sub plots in the book about one character who hates white people, and she instantly hates Roland because he is WHITE! I fear this is going to be like the majority of film adaptations of King's books and SUCK.

I agree completely.

Are you sure you read a book about him? You can't spell his name correctly...
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:08:49 PM EDT
[#8]
should have gone with Kiera Knightly...she's got range.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:10:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:10:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Clint Eastwood has a son that is into acting.............he might make a good Roland, or Timothy Olyphant..............if you wanted to go that way

Quoted:
There are only two actors I know of that would play a good Roland.  Josh Brolin and Benicio Del Toro.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:10:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I don't care what KIng says now.  He'll say whatever he thinks liberals want to hear.  Roland is if anything a white hispanic from the kingdom of Gilead, which is sort of like an King Arthur's kingdom, but with gunslingers, in the future.   His first love is a Susan Delgado.  Maybe Susan will be played by fucking Niki Minaj?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How progressive of them.  It makes no sense.

If the author doesn't have an issue with it why would I?

“I visualized [Clint] Eastwood as Roland,” King says. “I loved the Spaghetti Westerns and all those widescreen close-ups of his face, especially the ones where he’d been left out in the desert and was all covered with blisters and sunburn. I thought, ‘That’s my Roland.’”

Ol’ Clint was more of an inspiration point, however. “As the years went by, [the character] became a more particular individual in my own mind,” King says. “He wasn’t Eastwood anymore. He was just … Roland.”

The author, who raves about Elba’s recent work in the child-soldier drama Beasts of No Nation, says he hopes fans of the books have no problem accepting a man of color as Roland. “For me the character is still the character. It’s almost a Sergio Leone character, like ‘the man with no name,’” King says. “He can be white or black, it makes no difference to me. I think it opens all kind of exciting possibilities for the backstory.”

I don't care what KIng says now.  He'll say whatever he thinks liberals want to hear.  Roland is if anything a white hispanic from the kingdom of Gilead, which is sort of like an King Arthur's kingdom, but with gunslingers, in the future.   His first love is a Susan Delgado.  Maybe Susan will be played by fucking Niki Minaj?

I'd watch that...
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:10:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I will hold out to see his performance.  Who cares what color the actor is if he is a good actor?  When i read "Rising Sun" i never pictured Web Smith as a black man, i don't even recall if it was ever mentioned, but Wesley Snipes played the part well.  After that i couldn't visualize Web Smith as anyone BUT Snipes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When you specifically identify the persons race, that's when its hard to accept a change.  Otherwise, have at it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Too often now characters races are changed from classic stories just for the sake of diversity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too often now characters races are changed from classic stories just for the sake of diversity.

maybe they will write her out, i mean a super racist black chick in a wheel chair who throws xena disks was terrible.

i read them all thinking that they would pay off as everyone raves about them the first one was acceptable but other than that wtf.

terrible, and the stealing of other material to flesh out his world was worse Thomas the tank engine really, wizard of oz his other books adding himself in there.

when i got done i actually wished he died when he got ran over.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:12:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Odetta is not amused
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:12:55 PM EDT
[#15]
CHARLES FUCKING MINER AS ROLAND
King pictured clint, why not use scott eastwood?
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:13:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The black norse god in Thor was stupid, a black Bond, meh, not sure I'd care  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Kind of like a black James Bond, it does not fit nor make any sense, but in the name of all important diversity, do it.  . Given that diversity has been such a boon for the developed world.

Thanks for reminding me about that one, okay so I change my earlier statement to: Idris Elba was awesome in everything I've seen him in except as the Guardian of the Rainbow Bridge. Not because he's a bad actor, but Norse gods tend to be...ya know, Norse. Internal consistency failure on the casting there.

As for James Bond, all he has to be a British and able to be a believable badass. Elba is British and has played a believable badass many times, the race of Bond doesn't matter in the slightest to me.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:13:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote
Why not Geri Jewell? Really diversify that biotch. (Too old, maybe?)
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:13:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I think he could do a great job.  I kinda pictured Richard Boone as Roland, but I see no reason he can't be black.

ETA: I had forgotten about the racist black women in the story line, which clearly pegged Roland as white.  In my mind I did not have him as any specific color, but I had forgotten that part.  With that in mind, then yeah, stupid PC move.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:14:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

How progressive of them.  It makes no sense.
View Quote

Gonna Pass then.

I don't have to subscribe to the progressive agenda.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:15:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote

So Santa Claus is black, is what you're saying?
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:15:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thanks for reminding me about that one, okay so I change my earlier statement to: Idris Elba was awesome in everything I've seen him in except as the Guardian of the Rainbow Bridge. Not because he's a bad actor, but Norse gods tend to be...ya know, Norse. Internal consistency failure on the casting there.

As for James Bond, all he has to be a British and able to be a believable badass. Elba is British and has played a believable badass many times, the race of Bond doesn't matter in the slightest to me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kind of like a black James Bond, it does not fit nor make any sense, but in the name of all important diversity, do it.  . Given that diversity has been such a boon for the developed world.

So we can sort out that he's wearing gold armor on an Einstein-Rosen bridge with a giant hammer, but the hangup is that he's black... Okay.

This is what Heimdall actually looks like anyway.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:16:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you know how I know you haven't seen Deadpool?
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:16:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Cramming 7 books into a 2.5 hour movie is going to be a steaming pile of shit for anyone who read the books anyway, so its kind of a moot point. (Or mute point for the site illiterates)

All it will need is a gunfight, an explosion or titties every 3 minutes and it will sweep the Oscars!
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:16:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Whoopi Goldberg. Come big or go home.

What better way to show how progressive they are than to cast a fat, black, female, junkie, LGBT activist as a white old west gunslinger stereotype.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:17:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

If they made a black character in a book white or asian or something I'd still be upset with it,

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:17:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Actually theres quite a bit of talk about that one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do know they can change things for movies. They dont just read the book as a script. I imagine they will change many things, just like every other "based on a novel by xxxx" movie ever made.

Then why bother? Oh, that's right, because there is a ready made market to spend their money. I happen to think the Elba is fine actor, but, would you want him to play Bond?

Why not make Roland a woman?

Actually theres quite a bit of talk about that one.

That's why I mentioned it, and there has been a lot of controversy around it.

How much do you wanna bet that that they change Susannah's race as well?
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:17:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Santa isnt fucking real, he can be any color. Characters in books arent fucking real, it doesn't matter what their skin color is. It is all made up.

Oh shit those libtards cast Morgan Freeman as "Red" a Irish character in the Shawshank Redemption, pushing the negro agenda on us herpa durp derp.

Sounds like some of you fuckers need to find a "Safe Space" and stop getting so "Triggered" by trivial shit.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Wilfred Brimley
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:18:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

If they made a black character in a book white or asian or something I'd still be upset with it,

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed.  After watching Jessica Jones, lets make Luke Cage white or Asian.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:19:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Santa isnt fucking real, he can be any color. Characters in books arent fucking real, it doesn't matter what their skin color is. It is all made up.

Oh shit those libtards cast Morgan Freeman as "Red" a Irish character in the Shawshank Redemption, pushing the negro agenda on us herpa durp derp.

Sounds like some of you fuckers need to find a "Safe Space" and stop getting so "Triggered" by trivial shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We're the ones triggering you, bro.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:19:15 PM EDT
[#31]
I like Idris Elba as an actor, but IMHO the role is not race neutral, especially given the the entire storyline with Susannah/Odetta.  And everything else that goes with it.  It's not a racist thing, it's about fitting the character as described.  It would be like making Roland a woman.

There are some roles, like James Bond, where it doesn't matter as much as many actors have played Bond.  If they made Bond into a woman I would be pissed at that too, but I guarantee there are people who want that.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:19:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Stupid!!!!

Roland's based on Clint Eastwood and has blue eyes!!! Will not watch. Series sucked after wizard and glass anyway
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:20:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree completely.

I stated that I wrote a book about him, actually. I'll have you know that I am something of an expert, really.

Most importantly, I think I know how to spell Frederick LaQuantaviousness Douglass.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:20:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

So we can sort out that he's wearing gold armor on an Einstein-Rosen bridge with a giant hammer, but the hangup is that he's black... Okay.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/stargate/images/4/45/Heimdall.JPG/revision/latest?cb=20061014212301
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/stargate/images/4/45/Heimdall.JPG/revision/latest?cb=20061014212301

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:21:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'd watch Elba as Bond.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do know they can change things for movies. They dont just read the book as a script. I imagine they will change many things, just like every other "based on a novel by xxxx" movie ever made.

Then why bother? Oh, that's right, because there is a ready made market to spend their money. I happen to think the Elba is fine actor, but, would you want him to play Bond?

Why not make Roland a woman?
I'd watch Elba as Bond.  

So would I...
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:23:19 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Know what else is made up?

Your phony tough guy aggressive tolerance.

Those limp dicks you referenced?  They're your cleverly weak cultural masters.  You just took the money shot from them and are telling the rest of us why it's edgy to be spit roasted.

Have fun getting passed around, clown.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:23:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not so much...they are God's and can look how ever they like...they are gods....
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:23:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly, for me it is about staying true to the original story. If the author and producers don't care about that, then I have no interest in seeing the film. And this applies to ANY book, story, or historical event adapted to film.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:24:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Blade will be rebooted and Steven Yeun will be playing as him.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:24:17 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not a hangup, it just doesn't make sense internally since in Norse mythology Heimdall was known as the "whitest of the gods" and had gold teeth, which is kinda silly, but hey those Norse were wacky thanks to of a combination of too much mead and ergot poisoning. Now if they'd have made Loki black in the movie that would have made more sense, although then we would have missed out on Hiddleston playing him, which would kind of suck...a lot.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:26:56 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Not so much...they are God's and can look how ever they like...they are gods....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't put that idea into Hollywood's head or they'll cast Kelly McGillis as Zeus in the next Clash of the Titans reboot...

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:27:12 PM EDT
[#42]
I liked the series for the most part and how it intertwined with other stories, but they are going to fuck it up like they always do.

Guns should be a weathered old Colt peacemaker and mix of other odd ball items. Not sure how they will make the Ruger 44 auto if I remember the story correctly and the one guys full auto , maybe MP18 or something similar.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:27:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Those limp dicks you referenced?  They're your cleverly weak cultural masters.  You just took the money shot from them and are telling the rest of us why it's edgy to be spit roasted.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I liked this post, and will definitely steal the "aggressive tolerance" line.

Good show!
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:28:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Are there Brigands?

If there are no Brigands, there's no point, really.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:28:39 PM EDT
[#45]
This year's academy award for being black goes to...
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:29:12 PM EDT
[#46]
FSK
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:31:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Don't they allude that he actually looks a bit like

Click To View Spoiler

Also, the blue eyes blazing bit that is repetitive throughout the books, actually set the tone for the scene in some places.

Oh well, I m a fan of Mr. Elba and realize he'll do the best he can with what he has to work with.

Edit, forgot to add that the choice does leave me confused, but it's up to king and the production studio(s).
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:31:40 PM EDT
[#48]

I will pass on this, I am so done with the Progressive,Homo,Liberal Retard movie shit.

Will not watch.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:32:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

i remember Roland flipping through a book picking out the ammo he wanted by sight, but I don't remember what it was - I'll have to look it up. For some reason a colt single action army doesn't seem big enough to me. I'm sure it had a loading gate though.

You paint a very close picture to what I have in my head.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/29/dark-tower-rises-stephen-king-idris-elba-and-matthew-mcconaughey

Now I'm going to have to reread a few of them picturing Idris as Roland. I always had a young Clint Eastwood in my mind. I would have never pictured Matthew McConaughey as the man in black. Two great actors, I'm betting it's going to be awesome.

What revolver do you picture in your mind with you think of Roland?

A big one with sandal wood grips.

Seriously, a large frame, single action in something like 45LC.  I think caliber was touched on in "The Drawing of The Three" but its been a while.  Something 44, I think.  I picture very old guns with lots of holster wear and rounded, well polished surfaces.  Well cared for but lots of mileage.  Grips worn smooth as a baby's ass from handling except for the inevitable dings and scratches. and stained very dark from sweat, blood, and oil. A more elegant weapon from a more civilized age.

i remember Roland flipping through a book picking out the ammo he wanted by sight, but I don't remember what it was - I'll have to look it up. For some reason a colt single action army doesn't seem big enough to me. I'm sure it had a loading gate though.

You paint a very close picture to what I have in my head.

The book called it .45 Winchester. Easy mistake by a non-gun guy but who's to say Roland actually got them in this world? Could have been one very similar to ours but they had Winchester instead of Colt for their big revolver pioneer.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:32:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, im being a phony tough guy because I pointed out the skin color of an actor is irrelevant to made up characters. But I think you might have deeper seeded issues if you get upset about someones skin color isnt the "right" color that you like, might want to dwell on that. You think there are some "cultural masters" controlling me because I dont care about the color of someones skin? That is the most asinine borderline racist thing I have seen in this thread.

Really, what is you aversion to black people? Why do you think they shouldn't be cast in an imaginary characters role?
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top