Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/7/2016 7:50:06 PM EDT
Seems to be the kind of thing one is either into or not. No in between it seems.

I can name one song. Truckin.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 7:51:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Grateful.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 7:52:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not a huge fan, but I generally like most of their music.

Eta:  phish fan, fwiw.  Not much I'm sure.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 7:53:51 PM EDT
[#3]
never my thing.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 7:54:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Great players. Great tunes.

Link Posted: 3/7/2016 7:54:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Grateful.
View Quote

Noted.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 7:55:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

What's a good jam of theirs? Lots of extended jams?
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 7:55:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Music =

Fans =
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 7:56:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I've seen them many times.....the Jerry Garcia Band too.

The Grateful Dead channel is one of my programmed stations on satellite radio.

Oddly, I love guns, can't stand liberal/progressives, I'd sooner be whacked in the head with a hammer then to wear a tie-dye, I'm horrendously politically incorrect, hate hippies, and on occasion enjoy listening to bands like Blood For Blood, Pantera and Slipknot.....LOUD.

The Grateful Dead will always have a spot in my musical tastes and memories all the same.

Link Posted: 3/7/2016 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Music =

Fans =
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Who give's a fuck?

TGD are important to American values?,,,,,,

Eh....
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 7:59:45 PM EDT
[#11]
See my avatar. I never saw them because I'm too young but good lord I'm jealous.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Oddly, I love guns, can't stand liberal/progressives, I'd sooner be whacked in the head with a hammer then to wear a tie-dye, I'm horrendously politically incorrect, hate hippies, and on occasion enjoy listening to bands like Blood For Blood, Pantera and Slipknot.....LOUD.

The Grateful Dead will always have a spot in my musical tastes and memories all the same.

http://az598155.vo.msecnd.net/wp-uploads/2015/07/2ufz.gif

View Quote

The Dead were into guns too. Pigpen let a pistol off in a studio and sent Led Zeppelin running for their lives.

Garcia tried to keep the band apolitical and refused to endorse Mcgovern.

I saw a lot of shows and never once was preached to politically.  Usually the only stage patter was Bobby's goofy jokes.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:01:48 PM EDT
[#13]
The Dead suck/sucked!
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:03:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
See my avatar. I never saw them because I'm too young but good lord I'm jealous.
View Quote

I saw them a few times in the early 90s. Jerry had lost most of his spark and the sound quality everywhere I saw them play sucked.

I liked the older stuff from the late 60s early 70s with Pigpen, young jerry and Bob.

Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The Dead were into guns too. Pigpen let a pistol off in a studio and sent Led Zeppelin running for their lives.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://az598155.vo.msecnd.net/wp-uploads/2015/07/2ufz.gif

And they were until recently.

Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:04:00 PM EDT
[#16]
67-69 were my favorite years but anything before 1980 is pretty good. I liked the later years too but the experimental jamming from 68 can't be beat in my opinion.
While short, this might be my favorite show:
https://archive.org/details/gd1968-01-20.sbd.miller.97340.sbeok.flac16

And for some random video goodness:
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:05:35 PM EDT
[#17]
im good up till 82 or so..beyond that?  not really...

heres one of the Dead cover bands I play with on occasion..

https://archive.org/details/rfos2014-04-26

Most of the folks I interact with are big time lefties...some are adult enough about it. others not so much
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:06:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone that doesn't listen to them should give some recordings from spring 1977 a listen. Pretty representative of them in their prime. I prefer early and late 80s though.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:10:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Live at the Filmore East 5-15-1970

Awesome show. Especially some of the New Rides of the Purple Sage songs...Henry.

And the cover of Connection is awesome.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:11:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Lockn'

Danny
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:11:40 PM EDT
[#21]
The thing to know about them is they were in part applying jazz principles to rock music.  The studio stuff was a sketch upon which they would build in live performances .  The way they played a song evolved over time and there was an element of improvisation in pretty much every song they performed.

If you are interested, one of the best produced live albums they put out was called "Reckoning".  It's kind of atypical because it's acoustic, but there are some good examples of their live stuff that are a bit more accessible than trying to pick it up through muddy soundboard tapes.

When they were sharp, they were very, very sharp.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:13:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I made it to 123 shows in all, it was a crazy time in my life.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:14:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I hate your face.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:15:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

what era?

I went to about a dozen or so shows in the 80's..but everything i listen to is the 70's...almost like a different band between those two era's
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:19:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Their seemingly endless and repetitive instrumental "jams" made me want to neck stab everyone on stage.

Ba da da da dum  dum  dum, Ba da da da dum  dum  dum, Ba da da da dum  dum  dum, Ba da da da dum  dum  dum, Ba da da da dum  dum  dum, Ba da da da dum  dum  dum, Ba da da da dum  dum  dum, Ba da da da dum  dum  dum, Ba da da da dum  dum  dum, Ba da da da dum  dum  dum, Ba da da da dum  dum  dum, Ba da da da dum  dum  dum, Ba da da da dum  dum  dum, Ba da da da dum  dum  dum, Ba da da da dum  dum  dum, Ba da da da dum  dum  dum, Ba da da da dum  dum  dum, Ba da da da dum  dum  dum, Ba da da da dum  dum  dum, Ba da da da dum  dum  dum, Ba da da da dum  dum  dum, Ba da da da dum  dum  dum, Ba da da da dum  dum  dum, Ba da da da dum  dum  dum, Ba da da da dum  dum  dum, Ba da da da dum  dum  dum, Ba da da da dum  dum  dum, Ba da da da dum  dum  dum, Ba da da da dum  dum  dum, Ba da da da dum  dum  dum, Ba da da da dum  dum  dum, Ba da da da dum  dum  dum, Ba da da da dum  dum  dum, Ba da da da dum  dum  dum, Ba da da da dum  dum  dum, Ba da da da dum  dum  dum, Ba da da da dum  dum  dum.......

Enough already!!!  We fucking get it!!!  Play something else!!!

Maybe I needed more drugs.

FTGD

Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:23:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Shades of grey

I will survive
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#27]
I was always a Dead fan. It's just good music.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:27:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

what era?

I went to about a dozen or so shows in the 80's..but everything i listen to is the 70's...almost like a different band between those two era's
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what era?

First show was in 81 at Red Rocks, I was fresh out of basic training and stationed at Lowry AFB. LOL. Found this in a box a while back.

Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd look at Europe '72
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:29:15 PM EDT
[#30]
America Beauty is one of the greatest albums ever recorded.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:32:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Shades of grey

I will survive
View Quote

St Stephen
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:36:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Saw 150 shows from 71 to 95

The dead took parts of folk, country, country and western, bluegrass and jazz and amalgamated into a rock and roll style

They would do songs that were 7 beat, 11 beat ....not just your regular 4/4 beat

They were purists with their technology especially with their sound.  (Google: wall of sound)

They allowed fans to tape their shows years before other bands did

They introduced their fans to music they ever would have ever listened to, if it wasn't for jerry
(Bluegrass, country, folk, ole time Americana)

Don't usually post, but this is my wheelhouse

Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:44:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Saw 150 shows from 71 to 95

The dead took parts of folk, country, country and western, bluegrass and jazz and amalgamated into a rock and roll style

They would do songs that were 7 beat, 11 beat ....not just your regular 4/4 beat

They were purists with their technology especially with their sound.  (Google: wall of sound)

They allowed fans to tape their shows years before other bands did

They introduced their fans to music they ever would have ever listened to, if it wasn't for jerry
(Bluegrass, country, folk, ole time Americana)

Don't usually post, but this is my wheelhouse

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:44:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

First show was in 81 at Red Rocks, I was fresh out of basic training and stationed at Lowry AFB. LOL. Found this in a box a while back.

I was probably at that set of shows.    I would have to look at my old ticket stubs.   I have seen them over 35 times.   Last show was the early 90's.   Very heavily mid 80's to mid 90's.   The music was pretty good, the parties better, the chicks...Well that's another story.   Some of the strangest things happened to me/us at shows.   Case in point.   At the alpine shows.   (I grew up in Illinois)  I would run into random people that I had gone to school with.  From grade school in Illinois, to folks that I went to high School in Colorado.   Always.   Even in the crowds of thousands.  

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/sd0324/20150406_222147-1_zpsrooudlaj.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

what era?

I was probably at that set of shows.    I would have to look at my old ticket stubs.   I have seen them over 35 times.   Last show was the early 90's.   Very heavily mid 80's to mid 90's.   The music was pretty good, the parties better, the chicks...Well that's another story.   Some of the strangest things happened to me/us at shows.   Case in point.   At the alpine shows.   (I grew up in Illinois)  I would run into random people that I had gone to school with.  From grade school in Illinois, to folks that I went to high School in Colorado.   Always.   Even in the crowds of thousands.  

Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:46:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eyes of the World
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:48:42 PM EDT
[#36]
I've always been a fan.

This is hilarious though:

https://youtu.be/L5ckv6NgAz8

(Local radio station that used to prank interview celebrities)
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:48:52 PM EDT
[#37]
A nice long version of morning dew, st stephen, love light, jack straw are a must to have.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:50:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Shades of grey

I will survive
View Quote

Touch of Grey...

And Weir could play a fucking guitar.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Loved 'em. Even followed their tour for a bit. Great music and great times.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:55:47 PM EDT
[#40]
What did the deadhead say when the drugs ran out?
'Hey: This music sucks'.

Every time they visited Red Rocks, it was guaranteed one or two deadheads would be found in the near by campgrounds, dead in their tent.
I think I shed a tear once,,, or not.

Jay
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:55:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Not really a Dead fan but I always liked this one.

Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:56:55 PM EDT
[#42]
I always thought they were over-rated.

I saw them 3X, in three different decades.

Meh.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:58:15 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote

Damn. I made maybe 40, 1981-1993.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:59:29 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

what era?

I think I made all the Alpine Valley shows during that era.

Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:59:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I saw a lot of shows and never once was preached to politically.  Usually the only stage patter was Bobby's goofy jokes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The hell "US Blues" or "Ship of Fools" or "Throwing Stones" or "We Can Run" were apolitical.

That being said, "Ship of Fools" was the first lullaby I ever sang to my daughter. She almost dozed off, and then perked up for "Don't lend your hand to raise no flag..." and she was only a few months old but I'm positive that she was singing along.

Probably my favorite childhood (okay, teenage) memories were the summer tour shows at Soldier Field or Alpine Valley.

ETA:

Quoted:

If you are interested, one of the best produced live albums they put out was called "Reckoning".  It's kind of atypical because it's acoustic, but there are some good examples of their live stuff that are a bit more accessible than trying to pick it up through muddy soundboard tapes.

Anybody who likes bluegrass or mountain music should give 'Reckoning' a shot. Even if you're not a Deadhead that album stands on its own as bluegrass IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#46]
You want some good jamming?
Dark Star>St. Stephen>The Eleven>Turn on Your Lovelight. Might be my favorite combo of songs.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 9:09:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 9:15:12 PM EDT
[#48]

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 9:21:31 PM EDT
[#49]
1 in 10,000 come for the show...

Link Posted: 3/7/2016 9:41:55 PM EDT
[#50]
"We're like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but the people who like licorice really like licorice."

-Jerry Garcia

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top