Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 9:48:10 AM EDT
[#1]
OV-10s are also ridiculously quiet.  I remember running around the swamps down at French Creek and I heard this faint buzzing noise and thought it was a plane miles and miles away when suddenly ***BOOOM!!!*** a fucking Bronco busted over us at treetop level.  It was awesome!

I thought we gave all our OV-10s to Colombia?  Didn't Homeland Security also get some complete with hardpoints for "surveillance"?
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 9:51:52 AM EDT
[#2]
A couple bits of OV-10 trivia:

It was found that jets were too fast to drop early thermobarics like BLU-72 as the cloud would disperse too rapidly but the Bronco was perfect for it. It's not well known but they dropped a bunch of FAE in Vietnam as not much else could reliably.

Also,the famed Black Ponies,whose insignia has ended up on the test Broncos and Tucanos,were supposed to have used Pilatus Porters but the funds to puchase them weren't available so the OV-10s were borrowed instead.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:03:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm sure, for what?  The low low price of $15M per unit?

"But that's a bargain compared to $55M per unit for this other sexy bird that they really wanted.............."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are there any modernized broncos?

We are already modding super taco's with US comms and other gear onboard.

Boeing has offered an OV10X with modernized avionics and engines.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

"But that's a bargain compared to $55M per unit for this other sexy bird that they really wanted.............."

A modern FLIR/LRF is going to be at least $1M alone.
Throw in the other goodies like glass cockpit, big enough displays to make the FLIR useful, secure comms, etc, and you're into low double digit millions for sure.

By comparision, a UH-1Y is ~$25M and an AH-64E is ~$35M.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:17:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Throw in the other goodies like glass cockpit, big enough displays to make the FLIR useful, secure comms, etc, and you're into low double digit millions for sure.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are there any modernized broncos?

We are already modding super taco's with US comms and other gear onboard.

Boeing has offered an OV10X with modernized avionics and engines.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Same thing happens in general aviation.  A light twin with a couple of old nav/coms in the panel is dirt cheap.  Add a new coat of paint and a new interior, and the price can go up $10,000 to $20,000.  Upgrade to a glass cockpit, and the price goes
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:21:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
OV10 has two engines.

Tucano has one.

Comparison complete.
View Quote

Which one is currently in production and wouldn't end up being a fucking procurement nightmare?

Comparison complete.

and also, who the fuck needs to kick out 5 paratroops?  What are we South Africa?
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:23:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Which one is currently in production and wouldn't end up being a fucking procurement nightmare?

Comparison complete.

and also, who the fuck needs to kick out 5 paratroops?  What are we South Africa?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OV10 has two engines.

Tucano has one.

Comparison complete.

Comparison complete.

Soon
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:24:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Soon
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OV10 has two engines.

Tucano has one.

Comparison complete.

Comparison complete.

Soon

Point well taken
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:25:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Comparison complete.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OV10 has two engines.

Tucano has one.

Comparison complete.

Comparison complete.

I remember back in the day it was Recon.  Weren't they the ones who discovered that capability?
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:41:46 AM EDT
[#9]
What about the OV-1?

Bigger, faster, stronger.

Engines mounted on top of the wings rather than under them for better protection.

I always liked that plane over the OV-10

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:45:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Marines ought to be operating them off of their Wasp LHDs.  They'd be more capable than Harriers for the kinds of missions we're performing today.  Far cheaper, too.

https://newd7000user.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/ov-10headon_hdr-web.jpg

ETA- Bronco pron!  

Can easily operate off of highways and unpaved strips too.
View Quote

Short legs and no in flight refueling capability would make that a no go.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:57:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

no in flight refueling capability would make that a no go.
View Quote

Damn... I didn't know that.  I can only imagine how much of a big deal it would be to retrofit that in.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 11:04:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 11:07:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not any more difficult than putting a 20mm minigun in the belly.
View Quote

I've posted plenty of OV-10 masturbatory fantasy in LAAR threads here over the years.  I'm the one the wanted to air-drop modified 81mm mortar shells.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 11:13:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Didn't see anything about new engines here:

http://www.ov-10bronco.net/Technical/boeing_ov-10%28x%29_super_bronco_info_card_2009_01.pdf

The thought that the AF bought the OV-10 with shitty engines because we "didn't like or want it" is hilariously stupid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it possible to put the Pratt and Whitney PT6A engine on the Bronco?

Yes.  The OV-10X has a pair of them.

The original OV-10As had a rather weak pair of engines.  USAF ordered them with the less powerful engine.  USAF didnt like or want the Bronco.  USMC liked and wanted it, but they prdered the Bronco with the same weak engines.  The Navy's Broncos came from the USMC.

Since the Marines kept their OV-10As, they upgraded them after Vietnam.  I believe it was the D model that got the powerplants originally intended.  I dont know much about the OV-10G, but I think the cockpits were modernized and a new 5 blade prop assembly was added.  The OV-10G+ is supposed to be fairly close to the OV-10X  

Didn't see anything about new engines here:

http://www.ov-10bronco.net/Technical/boeing_ov-10%28x%29_super_bronco_info_card_2009_01.pdf

The thought that the AF bought the OV-10 with shitty engines because we "didn't like or want it" is hilariously stupid.

Cool.  I guess all those USAF and USMC OV-10A drivers and maintainers at the OBA are/were just "hilariously stupid".  Truth is USAF wasnt interested in CAS at the time, and the original tri-service agreement was between the USN, USAF, and USA, but USAF was barely content with USA having OV-1s and O-1Es.  

Having seen the OV-10X project guys at the museum for various events, they have state the possibility is there to install newer powerful engines.  Some of the overseas customers want a pair of the engines in the A-29, PT-6, installed.  As it is now, the new fiberglass 4 blade prop is considered, and there is now a  5 blade curved prop out there.

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 11:20:54 AM EDT
[#17]
The A-29, by a mile.

It's cheaper than our helicopters but with better range and less maintenance. Better payload too, but that's almost irrelevant because for convoy security and patrolling(the real COIN missions) all that's needed is a pair of rocket pods and MGs. For anything bigger get legit strike aircraft.

A new OV-10 is going to be more expensive than our helos while still not being able to replace the really expensive aircraft.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 11:32:11 AM EDT
[#18]
OV-10... 100% more combat effective than the F-35
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#19]
The nice thing about the OV10 is that because it's already and operational aircraft that has been in US military service it should be easier to get it back into service and bypass all the R&D BS.  Should be.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 11:48:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The nice thing about the OV10 is that because it's already and operational aircraft that has been in US military service it should be easier to get it back into service and bypass all the R&D BS.  Should be.
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 3:53:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

You sir are clearly a comedian
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 3:59:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I remember back in the day it was Recon.  Weren't they the ones who discovered that capability?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OV10 has two engines.

Tucano has one.

Comparison complete.

Comparison complete.

It's a nice to have but not a need to have.  That's like picking an attack helo based on external cargo capacity.  Way outside of scope.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 1:09:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OV10 has two engines.

Tucano has one.

Comparison complete.

Comparison complete.

The capability was built into the first OV-10s. It wasn't discovered.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 1:34:23 PM EDT
[#24]
The OV-10T would have been a light transport in the vein of the Shorts Skyvan or Israeli Arava

Some Aravas were armed so the T could have been as well. 2 forward facing .50s,one in the rear and frequently rocket pods were carried.

Link Posted: 3/15/2016 1:40:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 2:19:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
An OV-10T would be able to carry lots of feathers without more horsepower and redesign of every other part of the airplane from end to end.

There would be minor relief by reducing the manuevering load factors, but probably not enough to make much difference.

View Quote

The Skyvan and Dornier 228 used the same Garretts to carry more feathers than a plain Bronco.

Link Posted: 3/15/2016 3:52:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
An OV-10T would be able to carry lots of feathers without more horsepower and redesign of every other part of the airplane from end to end.

There would be minor relief by reducing the manuevering load factors, but probably not enough to make much difference.

View Quote

Lots of feathers!
My uncle was an OV10 USMC pilot. He talked about being over water (near Guam I think) in an older model, losing altitude the whole way back, preparing to bail out instead of ditch.

Unable to fly on one engine is pretty doggish. Sounds like they would have learned from the 2 passenger C150 already :)
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 7:08:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 9:19:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Lots of feathers!
My uncle was an OV10 USMC pilot. He talked about being over water (near Guam I think) in an older model, losing altitude the whole way back, preparing to bail out instead of ditch.

Unable to fly on one engine is pretty doggish. Sounds like they would have learned from the 2 passenger C150 already :)  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots of feathers!

You remind me of an OV-10 story from when I was at George AFB.  There was one of the 27 TASS OVs working down at 29 Palms that had engine problems and headed back to George.

They were losing altitude the whole way home and could not keep enough altitude to make it over the ridge line between Apple Valley and George.  So they ended up making an emergency landing 10 miles away from base at the Victorville/Apple Valley airport after being concerned that they might not be able to hold enough altitude to clear the rising terrain to the airport there.

It wasn't a hot day and airfield elevation was only a little over 3000ft, so it wasn't the typical case of "hot/high" reduced performance.  So curing that shortcoming would certainly be something the revived OV-10s would need to have addressed.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 10:36:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top