Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/1/2016 12:09:21 AM EDT
6 year old LG front loader died. The motor and frame bracket broke. The warranty repair guy said it was dead. Estimated repair is $900. Unit was under the 5 year warranty but assume they will not replace it.

So I will buy a new Top loading machine. Speed queen dealers around here all said 1K for a new one when I called. So, if you have bought one recently, have advise or repair guy, advise would be great. Seems most washers are $6-899. But nothing seems to last it seems.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:12:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I asked a washer/dryer repairman once what brand he would recommend, as he'd know what was reliable and what wasn't.  His recommendation was to go GE appliances.

He was right.  The washer I had probably fifteen years before I had to replace it.  The dryer I still have after twenty years..
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:14:31 AM EDT
[#2]
are you going to buy it with your own money? if its still under warranty let them fix it or replace it with a model of their choice.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:20:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I am asking for advise on what to buy. Not planning on warranty company to do much. If they do, great, but who knows. So yes my money unless I get a pro-rated check for a few bucks. We have Lowes, Homie Depot,Worst Buy, Sears locally. A small town store as well. Having not been in the washer/dryer buying/researching mode for years. Are they all junk? Just buy the capacity we need for cheapest or invest in something. I thought the LG at 8-900 each would last.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:22:24 AM EDT
[#4]
My washer and dryer were $800 or $900 combined 3 or 4 years ago before Christmas.  They are Samsung units and they've been good so far.  Can no longer go with a top loader due to the pantry cabinet we put in the wash room.

This is arfcom, so of course everyone is going to talk about how great speed queen is.  I say buy another LG or Samsung and embrace the shortened life span.  Buy a $500 unit.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:23:03 AM EDT
[#5]
At my last house we bought a new LG front loader washer & dryer set.  The main bearing on the washer was shot within 5 years and the dryer had constant heater problems.  Our current Maytag top loader washer & dryer have been doing good for 5 years except some rust on the washer.  Next set I buy will be Speed Queens.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:23:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, I like my speed queen units... Though I don't remember them being $1k for just a washer...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:24:12 AM EDT
[#7]
You mention a warranty, but then tell us to ignore it?  

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:28:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought a new Speed Queen about 1.5 months ago for $800 out the door. It was the only non-HE type washer I could find. Our old washer was a top loading LG that was only a year old. Mechanically, it was fine. But it didn't get any of the clothes clean. Everything would smell like mildew. The Speed Queen took that smell out of the clothes in one wash. I'll never own another brand after seeing how this one cleans.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:31:20 AM EDT
[#9]
The new "HE" machines are "high efficiency" because they don't clean as well.  I was so disappoint.  The really high dollar HE machines are supposedly great, but I'm really happy with my old (bought used) top-loading washing machine.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:31:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
6 year old LG front loader died. The motor and frame bracket broke. The warranty repair guy said it was dead. Estimated repair is $900. Unit was under the 5 year warranty but assume they will not replace it.

So I will buy a new Top loading machine. Speed queen dealers around here all said 1K for a new one when I called. So, if you have bought one recently, have advise or repair guy, advise would be great. Seems most washers are $6-899. But nothing seems to last it seems.
View Quote

Have you thought about buying a used one? I have a 18-year old Amana. When it needed a new valve a few years ago (first repair ever), an appliance guy told me that I should keep it alive as long as possible, because they don't make them that well anymore. I also had to replace the belt and idler pulley this year. Less than 100 bucks in parts for 18 years of use. I probably just jinxed it, and will lose a bearing next week.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:34:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Electrolux front loader running strong after 8 years.  Damn thing spins so fast that the clothes hardly spend any time in the dryer.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:37:09 AM EDT
[#12]
just bought a speed queen january 2016 paid 799 out the door SQ sets pricing not sure why 1k best machine so far have eve owned
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:38:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

If the dryer and washer don't match, you're a homo.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:39:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Seems odd.    Does the warranty replace it with a new one or just provide a pittance in prorated cost?
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:39:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:39:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Electrolux front loader running strong after 8 years.  Damn thing spins so fast that the clothes hardly spend any time in the dryer.
View Quote

That's true with front loading washers.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:40:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

What I mean is warranty paid for repair guy to come say"it's dead Jim". Now what they do next is simply a guess for me. But still need a washing machine. Wife, kids, clothes still need washing. The LG front loader dryer never really seemed to get real hot,as well.

So I have been reading many mixed reviews on lots of machines.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:43:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What I mean is warranty paid for repair guy to come say"it's dead Jim". Now what they do next is simply a guess for me. But still need a washing machine. Wife, kids, clothes still need washing. The LG front loader dryer never really seemed to get real hot,as well.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you pay money for that?  Do you have it in writing?  If it is as you believe it is, that's the most retarded warranty I've ever heard of.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:52:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Our top-load Samsung has been excellent.  Love it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:52:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I asked a washer/dryer repairman once what brand he would recommend, as he'd know what was reliable and what wasn't.  His recommendation was to go GE appliances.

He was right.  The washer I had probably fifteen years before I had to replace it.  The dryer I still have after twenty years..
View Quote

+1 on GE. I bought a new GE top-loading washer last year and it's worked fine so far, no problems. But truth be told, when you start looking at reviews you will find just as many people bashing the product as there are people praising them, regardless of brand.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:17:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Get the speedqueen with the knobs, not the electronic board.

You can thank me in about 10 years.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:23:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I went electronic.  Longer warranty.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:24:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's what I did last year. Haven't heard a gripe out of the laundress since then.

Except when I dried her jeans on some setting that shrunk them.

Don't they all come pre-shrunk these days? For what I had to shell out to replace them you'd think........................
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:28:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

yep
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:36:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Don't buy Samsung, you think LGs don't last long? Samsungs are worse.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

yep
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep

There are only three brands out there that are any good.

1. Speed Queen, Speed Queen and Speed Queen
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:40:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:42:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Whirlpool and for Gods sakes dont buy the HE crap.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:43:33 PM EDT
[#29]
The trend I've noticed with high-dollar, feature loaded laundry machines:  they crap out after no time at all.

You know what tends to last for ever?  Cheap, simple, no-frills washers and dryers.  The type you'd find in an apartment.

The set I have now is over 10 years old, I paid $40 for BOTH on Craigslist and spent the money I saved on gun shit.

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:50:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'll want knobs in case of an EMP attack, your're welcome.

TRUMP2016!
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:08:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well, I like my speed queen units... Though I don't remember them being $1k for just a washer...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Mine was 800ish
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:11:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Who is the warranty through?
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#33]
We've got new Whirlpools. They are nice.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:13:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Grab $100 out of the ATM and hit up Craig's List
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:18:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

TRUMP2016!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRUMP2016!

I that scenario, I'll be too busy marauding and stealing fuel.  Don't need clothes for that.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:28:53 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Our top-load Samsung has been excellent.  Love it.
View Quote

Ditto. Their HE model...was around $1100-1200 for the pair.

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:28:55 PM EDT
[#37]
I went back to old school top load with no digital, just manual knob timer. Couldn't be happier. I think it's a GE
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:29:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Mine are so old when the heating element went out I had to restring it myself.

Old mechanical worked for 20 years now. Keeps the clothes clean.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:30:30 PM EDT
[#39]
5 year warranty...but washer is 6 years old?  So it's out of warranty then?

In my experience, the cheapest, most simple appliance will be the most reliable.  Think I paid $300 for my washer and dryer about 10 years ago.  They still work just fine, but if they shit the bed anytime I will not hesitate or sweat about buying the cheapest replacement.  In my opinion, appliances have long jumped the shark and strayed from the KISS philosophy.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:32:48 PM EDT
[#40]
I love these threads.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:33:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Be a Man and tell Her No quitting get back to work and make you a sammich..........
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:34:19 PM EDT
[#42]
i would advise you to ask for advice.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:34:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:36:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Bosch followed by Samsung.

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:39:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Get an inexpensive top-loader, low water use, type that doesn't have the tall agitator.  Learn to use the online appliance parts websites and free repair videos.

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#46]
buy the cheapest major brand top load you can that has the cycles you really need.  When it breaks, throw it away.

Something like this:  http://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpool-4-3-cu-ft-High-Efficiency-Top-Load-Washer-in-White-WTW5000DW/205538993

Of course, 8 years ago this cost $250, now its $450.  Buy cheap so you aren't pissed when it breaks down.

We have a $1,000 super high efficiency top load whirlpool for 3-4 years.  It and the matching dryer have been repaired 5-6 times under warranty.  One repair on the washer would have been more expensive than the washer was.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 2:42:08 PM EDT
[#47]

This, and a wife
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 2:52:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Our LG front loader quit after 5 years or so. The dryer is still fine. We replaced the washer with a top loader Maytag I think. Home Depot had a scratch and dent sale so we got it for under 500 bucks. It has a clear top and seems pretty decent. I wouldn't really know though. That's wimmins work.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 2:57:42 PM EDT
[#49]
So I will buy a new Top loading machine.
View Quote

Thank God.  I have a front-loader and I am tired of the drama of "Will our clothing stink today?  Wash them and find out!"
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 3:04:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

That was then, not now........

GE sucks
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top