Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/3/2016 9:20:21 AM EDT

Sarah Young, 40, was washed overboard while taking part in the Clipper Round the World Yacht Race. Her body was later recovered by her crewmates.

The ceremony took place at 01:00 BST on Sunday, with readings including the poem Sea Fever by John Masefield.

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 9:31:37 AM EDT
[#1]
2 died on that boat already?  Damn
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 9:34:21 AM EDT
[#2]
sad story. the ocean is scary.

Hopefully she would say that she enjoyed doing what she did, lived life as an adventure, and would do it again if given the choice.

Mr Ladd described Miss Young as a close friend and "enthusiastic and accomplished sailor".

"She was an adventurer and lived life to the full," he said. "She died an adventurer's death battling the elements circumnavigating the globe. I wish we could have said goodbye properly, we all do."

(lady on the right)

she looks a little like Nichole Kidman

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 9:36:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
sad story. the ocean is scary.Hopefully she would say that she enjoyed doing what she did, lived life as an adventure, and would do it again if given the choice.

(lady on the right)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2016/04/01/94348056_restricted-yachtswoman-Sarah-Young-large_trans++WqpbAtgKJyHaMBh-yZTXbRS03i2pzHkxg356GvlPLeE.jpg

View Quote

And standing next to a guy who isn't clipped in

The ocean doesn't allow mistakes
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 9:49:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Seems odd to me that someone is washed overboard and drowns, then they bring person back on ship, then throw person back into the ocean for burial. Why bother, person was already "buried at sea"?
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 9:51:53 AM EDT
[#5]
RIP
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 9:55:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
sad story. the ocean is scary.Hopefully she would say that she enjoyed doing what she did, lived life as an adventure, and would do it again if given the choice.

(lady on the right)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2016/04/01/94348056_restricted-yachtswoman-Sarah-Young-large_trans++WqpbAtgKJyHaMBh-yZTXbRS03i2pzHkxg356GvlPLeE.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Mr Ladd described Miss Young as a close friend and "enthusiastic and accomplished sailor".

"She was an adventurer and lived life to the full," he said. "She died an adventurer's death battling the elements circumnavigating the globe. I wish we could have said goodbye properly, we all do."

(lady on the right)

I bet that coffee cup has scotch in it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 9:56:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Seems odd to me that someone is washed overboard and drowns, then they bring person back on ship, then throw person back into the ocean for burial. Why bother, person was already "buried at sea"?
View Quote

Respect
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 9:57:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote

How else can they confirm death?
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Poke'em with a long stick?
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:12:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(lady on the right)

In that sea state? Who fucking cares?

She could have been washed over while moving from point to point.  If they're not using a 2-tether system, she could easily have just been caught out.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:12:42 AM EDT
[#11]
bad weather or bad captain?  

arf both prolly
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:15:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean the long stick they use for pull them back on board?  
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:18:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

the ocean is scary.

View Quote
Yep. You wouldn't catch me out there in a little boat like that. The thought of being out in the middle of the ocean somewhere, just creeps me out.

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:22:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
bad weather or bad captain?  

arf both prolly
View Quote

The deck of a sailboat in open water is a very dangerous place.  See the straps in the picture above along with the wires and rails on the outside edge?  You're supposed to be attached when on deck, because it's very easy to slip overboard in normal weather.  This had nothing to do with the Captain (unless he/she routinely allowed crew to be on deck without their safety harness attached) or weather (beyond the fact they were in the Atlantic in a relatively small vessel).  

Stuff happens out there.  The layers of security (such as inflatable life vests, straps with clips to keep you from getting washed overboard, etc.) generally prevent such tragedies.  If it was anyone's fault, it sound like it was hers for not being strapped in.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

From the linked article:

After she was recovered by crew, attempts were made to resuscitate her but she did not regain consciousness.

She probably wasn't under for that long.  A sailboat under sail doesn't exactly turn on a dime.  There are several navigation options for returning to a man overboard as you can see here.  Sailboats typically do a "quick turn" whereas I practice a Williamson turn.  It is not as easy as it looks, and that minute or two of your crew being in the water is all it takes.  I have had a man overboard in inland waters, and it was terrifying.  I can't imagine open ocean.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:34:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yep. You wouldn't catch me out there in a little boat like that. The thought of being out in the middle of the ocean somewhere, just creeps me out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
the ocean is scary.

I believe they're running boats in the 50'+ range.  While there's no such thing as too big of a boat when you're in open water, that's actually a very good boat size.  It's not uncommon to see smaller vessels in open water.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:38:08 AM EDT
[#17]
That's not the Sarah Young I remember.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:38:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

From the linked article:

She probably wasn't under for that long.  A sailboat under sail doesn't exactly turn on a dime.  There are several navigation options for returning to a man overboard as you can see here.  Sailboats typically do a "quick turn" whereas I practice a Williamson turn.  It is not as easy as it looks, and that minute or two of your crew being in the water is all it takes.  I have had a man overboard in inland waters, and it was terrifying.  I can't imagine open ocean.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the linked article:

After she was recovered by crew, attempts were made to resuscitate her but she did not regain consciousness.

The article mentioned she was swept under the safety wires when a wave hit the boat. Life comes and goes in the blink of an eye.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:41:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I believe they're running boats in the 50'+ range.  While there's no such thing as too big of a boat when you're in open water, that's actually a very good boat size.  It's not uncommon to see smaller vessels in open water.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
the ocean is scary.

I know of at least one 20ft boat that is common to find blue water sailing.
eta...and I would love to have one.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:42:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:47:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I had my brother fall out my hobie years ago while at the tiller . It was locked in and I threw him a square floating seat cushion and was 15 minutes before I got back to him....saved his drunk ass im sure.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:53:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The article mentioned she was swept under the safety wires when a wave hit the boat. Life comes and goes in the blink of an eye.
View Quote

Yes - there's usually about 1' below the lowest wire.  That's plenty to slide through if you're flat on your back.  I personally don't understand why they don't put another wire at about 6" high to prevent things like this, but I'm sure there's a good reason that I don't understand.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:59:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think people that take 20' sailboats in open water are nuts.  In a sailboat your weather window has to be huge for a crossing of any kind, and weather windows like that simply don't exist.  Some of my good friends have circumnavigated in a 36' sailboat.  No thanks

I'm working hard to upgrade to the 70' range now. will have 3'+ gunwales, and will still watch weather windows carefully.  I like my water on the outside of the boat and me and my family on the inside....
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 11:31:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Funerals are for the living, not the dead.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 11:40:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, the problem is actually a logistical one.  You can't really keep a body preserved several days on a small, crowded race boat... so back into the drink she goes.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 11:40:08 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote
Hard to bury someone at sea when they are wearing a floatation device.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 11:40:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's called a boat hook (IIRC)

No, just a stick.  But if a boat hook is all they got handy.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:43:53 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

The .gov spent many, many $$millions doing this a while ago, for a Kennedy that

thought he knew how to fly in shitty weather.

I guess that Royalty has its privileges.

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:49:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a good point.  It's also unusual to drown quickly while wearing an appropriate life vest.  Even inflatables are supposed to inflate so that they raise the head out of the water for someone who's unconscious.  She must have had her vest on if they found her quickly (it takes a few days for a victim to float), so the whole thing is a bit unusual. Drowning with a life vest on is definitely the exception to the rule.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Sad, but not clipping in is akin to going open wheel  racing and not wearing a safety harness, it's just plain stupid.

FWIW, if the skipper doesn't enforce safety rules on deck and clipping in, he's a total frikkin idiot and has partial responsibility.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:01:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Respect
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Respect

This aint the 1880s bub, or a death during combat at sea. Usually there are some people who want to inquire about a death like that, or make funeral arrangement. That crap is fairly odd, well at least in this day and age.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:28:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
the ocean is scary.

This...I have thalassophobia like-a-mug!
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:31:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This aint the 1880s bub, or a death during combat at sea. Usually there are some people who want to inquire about a death like that, or make funeral arrangement. That crap is fairly odd, well at least in this day and age.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Respect

So you want them to sail for at least a week or so with a corpse just rotting away in the next berth?
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:55:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
the ocean is scary.

And you live in Florida?
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 2:11:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
the ocean is scary.

Fifty feet? Shit, in the 70's, my parents drove an Impala that was almost that big. You wanna get me out in the middle of the ocean, I'm thinking more along the lines of...

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 2:17:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

So you want them to sail for at least a week or so with a corpse just rotting away in the next berth?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Respect

The CG or Navy doesn't come out to retrieve people who are already dead. Only the living. Burial at sea was the only option in their situation.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 2:23:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Respect

There is likely no way to keep a body cool on that boat.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Yes - there's usually about 1' below the lowest wire.  That's plenty to slide through if you're flat on your back.  I personally don't understand why they don't put another wire at about 6" high to prevent things like this, but I'm sure there's a good reason that I don't understand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Back in the day when I was kicking around on raceboats, that space was used by/for snatch blocks, guys, sheets, vangs, etc. in the cockpit area.

In the posted video, its easy to see the woven netting on the foredeck lifelines to keep sails onboard when they are lowered to the deck,

between sail changes, etc. At least on these boats they are using piston hanks, which make sail handling much easier than luff tapes.

And a comment to the boat size, it was mentioned that these are 70 ft. one-design boats, the whole concept of this race is amateur crews,

IIRC, with a professional skipper only. Yous pays your money, and yous take your chances.

Crews pay a considerable fee for the privilege of competing in this very amateur race. People come from all walks of life, to try their hand at ocean racing.

Just looking at the photo, they do not look like your 'average ocean racing crew'.

And while some may be experienced sailors, the average skill level is probably, well, average.

Yous pays your money, and yous take your chances.

This race reminds me of the 'guided tours' that some rich folk take up Mt Everest, to some extent.

While it can be exhilarating and all kinds of fun, both mountains and oceans are very unforgiving of screw-ups, mistakes, errors, and fuck-ups,

some of which can just be circumstances, others can be lack of experience, lack of sound judgement, and bad decisions.

The 'three strikes - you're out' rule applies to sailboats, just like other endeavors.

One little mistake leads to another bigger one, which generates a monster 'fuck you'.

Here's a possible scenario - not saying this is what happened, just a possible 'what -if'.

1. She leaves her position on the rail to make a sail adjustment - a very common thing, so doesn't clip in as she is moving around.

2. The sail(s) need adjusting to a change in conditions that is making the boat harder to steer.

3. Because steering is not optimum, the helmsman clips a wave the wrong way, or doesn't see a different wave coming, and dumps one in the cockpit.

4. This knocks him off course more, catching the next wave even harder. Boof, cockpit full of water, she's washed through the lifelines. Done.

Again, not sayin' this is what happened, just an illustrative scenario.

And, another crew member was killed on the same boat, just a few days out, on the first leg of this round-the-world race.

Something went wrong and he got knocked unconscious, permanently. In the wrong place, at the wrong time.

Yes, accidents at sea are tragic, just like anywhere else. It can be very unforgiving, especially to noobies.

IMHO YMMV

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 2:30:25 PM EDT
[#40]

Well to be fair, they did warn everyone that it's "The Race of Your Life".

And that video looks like a completely miserable time all around even in mild conditions.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 2:43:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That's a good point.  It's also unusual to drown quickly while wearing an appropriate life vest.  Even inflatables are supposed to inflate so that they raise the head out of the water for someone who's unconscious.  She must have had her vest on if they found her quickly (it takes a few days for a victim to float), so the whole thing is a bit unusual. Drowning with a life vest on is definitely the exception to the rule.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Certainly the category of vest she was wearing could play into things. If for some reason she was wearing a class III, that may allow her to end up in a face down orientation. People don't always go into the water while conscious.

When I was teaching various types of boating at a summer camp, I always very clearly said that there is no such thing as a life vest. There are personal flotation devices that will keep your body afloat, but don't count on them to keep you alive. I know that's a bit of a semantics game, but I really wanted to drive home a point.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 2:45:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I think people that take 20' sailboats in open water are nuts.  In a sailboat your weather window has to be huge for a crossing of any kind, and weather windows like that simply don't exist.  Some of my good friends have circumnavigated in a 36' sailboat.  No thanks

I'm working hard to upgrade to the 70' range now. will have 3'+ gunwales, and will still watch weather windows carefully.  I like my water on the outside of the boat and me and my family on the inside....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I worked on these boats prepping them for their new owners as a part time job when I was in high school...they are seriously stout little boats
http://sailingmagazine.net/article-1056-flicka.html
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 2:49:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Fifty feet? Shit, in the 70's, my parents drove an Impala that was almost that big. You wanna get me out in the middle of the ocean, I'm thinking more along the lines of...

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z316/runcible22/aircraft-carrier-35_zpsk7cli0wi.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
the ocean is scary.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z316/runcible22/aircraft-carrier-35_zpsk7cli0wi.jpg

Pushing a lot of water.   Need to get some of that weight to the back......prob not even getting 20mpg like that.    Dum.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 2:51:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The CG or Navy doesn't come out to retrieve people who are already dead. Only the living. Burial at sea was the only option in their situation.
View Quote

Side question, when S does HTF but the person is alive, who comes out in the open ocean? I'm taking the nearest naval asset from the nearest country?
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#45]
BTW, this is the SECOND PERSON TO GET DEAD ON THIS SAME BOAT IN THIS SAME RACE!
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 3:00:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Side question, when S does HTF but the person is alive, who comes out in the open ocean? I'm taking the nearest naval asset from the nearest country?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whoever is closest be it military or a commercial cargo ship. There is a whole system called GMDSS that networks every ship carrying it into a worldwide SAR center. All vessels over 300 gross tons are now required to have it. And unless you have a damn good reason you are required to assist.

GMDSS
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 3:15:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Whoever is closest be it military or a commercial cargo ship. There is a whole system called GMDSS that networks every ship carrying it into a worldwide SAR center. All vessels over 300 gross tons are now required to have it. And unless you have a damn good reason you are required to assist.

GMDSS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GMDSS

That's pretty bad ass, thanks.

Always loved the notion of the CG. I do something stupid or run into bad luck and there are people who will risk life to come get me. This GMDSS is kinda the same, makes the open ocean not quite so desolate. But still, either or a cruise ship or a carrier -- fuck a sailboat.

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 3:17:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 3:25:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
BTW, this is the SECOND PERSON TO GET DEAD ON THIS SAME BOAT IN THIS SAME RACE!
View Quote

that's why I suggested captain or weather....or both...  maybe even deck boss if there is one.....  might be lax rules or heavy wx on that boat in particular...  

May their souls rest in the bosom of La Mar

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 3:32:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Always loved the notion of the CG. I do something stupid or run into bad luck and there are people who will risk life to come get me. This GMDSS is kinda the same, makes the open ocean not quite so desolate. But still, either or a cruise ship or a carrier -- fuck a sailboat.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GMDSS

You'd be surprised how many commercial and private vessels do rescues.  Outside of US waters, that's often your only option.  The USCG monitors satellite beacons such as ePIRBs or PLBs, but often they'll simply contact nearby vessels with your lat/lon and ask them to locate you.  When we venture in to isolated or remote areas, the ability to rescue someone is something we talk about a bit.  There are some interesting scenarios that come up when you consider bringing strangers in distress onto your boat.  We travel with a significant amount of medical supplies, extra provisions and more for such scenarios.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top