Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 12:54:15 PM EDT
[#1]
In 1956 my grandfather and great grandfather bought a brand new John Deere 520 (still have it) ... They also had a 60, two A's, a D, and a 55 combine.

Lots of hard work, but a good living.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 12:54:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In 1956 child molestation and physical abuse (beating) was kept in the closet and not talked about but happened just as regularly, if not more, than today.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Im 1956 there was Jim Crow laws, asbestos, and most importantly,  no AR15.com GD.

In 1956 child molestation and physical abuse (beating) was kept in the closet and not talked about but happened just as regularly, if not more, than today.

In before someone tries to deny this.

Sometimes these "good olde days" threads remind me of Iran saying it has no homosexuals.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 12:54:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yeah, because "diversity" is our strength!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gotta love the dudes who come in here and say racist and misogynistic ass 50's America was it's peak.

Denying people their rights is so funnnnnny. You should be a comedian!
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 12:55:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gotta love the dudes who come in here and say racist and misogynistic ass 50's America was it's peak.

So you're saying the extreme racism and misogyny that was common during the 50s was a good thing that made our nation better?
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 12:55:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Sometimes these "good olde days" threads remind me of Iran saying it has no homosexuals.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Im 1956 there was Jim Crow laws, asbestos, and most importantly,  no AR15.com GD.

Ya, the 50s were a dark and evil time of oppression for LGBTQWTFBBQ, homosexuals, asexuals, cissexuals, and had less-diversity. It was like Iran.

We're so much better off today. Yay Obama!
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 12:57:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a feeling this thread will bring out some very stupid and ignorant mother fuckers.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 12:57:43 PM EDT
[#7]
But, but the poor black people.....

It's like the liberal programming is so strong this all some people remember
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 12:57:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So you're saying the extreme racism and misogyny that was common during the 50s was a good thing that made our nation better?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one is saying racism was good. But take off your SJWer glasses and you can realize that overall society was much better than it was today.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 12:59:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's something to think about.

In 1900, the U.S. was not a dominant world power. It was getting there, but it was not what it is today, comparatively. Most European countries were doing as well or better than the U.S.

By 1945, Europe had seen two world wars on its soil and its industrial base destroyed. Total European casualties from both wars far outstripped America's. At the end of WWII, the world was divided into the U.S. and Soviet camps.

These circumstances gave the U.S. an incredible advantage coming out of WWII. It was in a position to dominate the West and much of the world and did. We are where we are today because of the advantages we had on most every other country coming out of WWII.

There is no rational reason to expect the effects of those advantages to last forever.

Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:00:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No one is saying racism was good. But take off your SJWer glasses and you can realize that overall society was much better than it was today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol me a SJW?

Take off your  rose tinted nostalgia glasses and realize that overall this country enjoys a better standard of living than it did back then.
I fail to see how having an entire race of people use separate everything and being treated like a lesser people made society better.

I love how being against racism and misogyny makes me a social justice warrior.
God damn I fucking hate this place some of you are so ignorant and up your own asshole you can't listen to anyone else's opinion without spouting off the stupidest shit.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:03:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In 1956 most people were in favor of gun control.

The 1960s gave them gun control.

The crime of the 1970s gave us the start of CCW.

The success of that in lowering crime rates in the 1990s through today is giving us constitutional carry.

America peaks in different things at different times.
View Quote

The gun control act of 1968 was the govt response to civil rights markers marching while openly and legally carry arms.

The FBI and congress were concerned with an armed rebellion by blacks.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:04:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

lol me a SJW?

Take off your  rose tinted nostalgia glasses and realize that overall this country enjoys a better standard of living than it did back then.
I fail to see how having an entire race of people use separate everything and being treated like a lesser people made society better.
View Quote

Better standard of living because we have more cheap chinese shit and better technology. But would you say society itself is better?

Are we kinder? Are we more sociable? What's the divorce rate? How many kids are born out of marriage? How are our schools compared to back then? Can we still play dodge ball?

Despite segregation (which I vehemently disagree with) are black people better off now or back then? This was before liberalism destroyed the black culture.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:05:51 PM EDT
[#13]
The Dodge Charger had not yet been developed. Thus the US cannot have peaked then.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Without reading anything and seeing it was a Zero Hedge link, I am going to assume OP is retarded.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:08:24 PM EDT
[#15]
My mother was 17. I asked her and she said "yes, it was a wonderful time." People had class and manners. There was bad stuff then too, but it wasn't laid out for everyone to see.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:09:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I need my troll meter calibrated
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:11:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Do you ever say anything worth a shit?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't wait until I'm an old man and can say how this country has been going down hill since the 1990's.

I'll yell at kids to get the damn newfangled hover boards off my lawn and shit, and post old nostalgic threads on future arfcom with my mind computer. It will be great.

None of us do.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:12:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

None of us do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't wait until I'm an old man and can say how this country has been going down hill since the 1990's.

I'll yell at kids to get the damn newfangled hover boards off my lawn and shit, and post old nostalgic threads on future arfcom with my mind computer. It will be great.

None of us do.

Thats closer to the truth than "all of us do"
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:14:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
lol

in 1956, we didn't have 24 hour news and the internet.  So you didn't hear about the murder, violence, or rape going on.

Now you get to hear about it...all the time....even though it doesn't happen...all the time...
View Quote

Yep the statistics show you are FOS

Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

lol me a SJW?

God damn I fucking hate this place some of you are so ignorant and up your own asshole you can't listen to anyone else's opinion without spouting off the stupidest shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol me a SJW?

In 1956 Black urban families had fathers and they worked for a living, kids went to church, learned in school, and parents took care of their kids. In the 60s they marched for freedom while open carrying arms

2016 the black urban family is just about gone. Drugs are rampant, children are born to single mothers, the projects are full of violence, guns are prohibited in most major cities,and prisons are full of black felons.  When they march they destroy and riot.

All because of the war on poverty and the war on drugs. We have had a black president for 8 years and it has only gotten worse.

You tell me which one is better.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:18:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Better standard of living because we have more cheap chinese shit and better technology. But would you say society itself is better?

Are we kinder? Are we more sociable? What's the divorce rate? How many kids are born out of marriage? How are our schools compared to back then? Can we still play dodge ball?

Despite segregation (which I vehemently disagree with) are black people better off now or back then? This was before liberalism destroyed the black culture.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol me a SJW?

The answer would be no because it was black people on the street protesting about the effects of segregation in their community.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:22:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

In 1956, ~80% of black children are born with married parents.    

In 2016, ~20% of black children are born with married parents.  
http://thf_media.s3.amazonaws.com/familyfacts/charts-web/205-FF-chart.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In 1956, John Wayne, Elvis Presley and Marilyn Monroe were some of the biggest stars in the entertainment world.

In 2016, our young people look up to "stars” like Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga.

In 1956, Americans were watching I Love Lucy and The Ed Sullivan Show on television.

In 2016, the major television networks are offering us trashy shows such as Mistresses and Lucifer.

In 1956, you could buy a first-class stamp for just 3 cents.

In 2016, a first-class stamp will cost you 49 cents.

In 1956, gum chewing and talking in class were some of the major disciplinary problems in our schools.

In 2016, many of our public schools have been equipped with metal detectors because violence has gotten so far out of control.

In 1956, children went outside and played when they got home from school.

In 2016, our parks and our playgrounds are virtually empty and we have the highest childhood obesity rate on the entire planet.

In 1956, if a kid skinned his knee he was patched up and sent back outside to play.

In 2016, if a kid skins his knee he is likely to be shipped off to the emergency room.

Zero Hedge

Not to mention incarceration rates kept going up.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:24:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Nothing that happened before Apollo 11 has a legitimate claim on the peak of American history.
View Quote

Now you know dem troofers are gonna come on in here and say dey done made all dat up!
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:26:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong century.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/15/health/15abus.html?_r=0

SECTIONSHOMESEARCHSKIP TO CONTENTSKIP TO NAVIGATIONVIEW MOBILE VERSION
HEALTH|Case Shined First Light on Abuse of Children

Case Shined First Light on Abuse of Children
HOWARD MARKEL and M.D.DEC. 14, 2009

Tellingly, the case was brought by the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. In 1874, there were no laws protecting children from physical abuse from their parents. It was an era of “spare the rod and spoil the child,” and parents routinely meted out painful and damaging punishment without comment or penalty.

Modern media can reveal and distort.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:27:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'd still venture a guess that the everyday lives of the vast majority were better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd still venture a guess that the everyday lives of the vast majority were better.

I highly doubt that.

Advances in medical science alone have made life better and longer for millions than they were in 1956.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:28:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Civil rights was going to come with or without the lefts war on America. We didn't have to have a war on morality and the family to achieve it. Sort like those who have been taught the Civil war was over slavery; they are only parroting the left's perception and history revision as it too was ending one way or another. The industrial revolution was coming regardless.
Fact is the black family was decimated as a whole because of the left's war on America. Wait and see how blacks "benefit" from Globalist (the left) mass migration. Even Farrakhan says the Dems are the new plantation owners and mass migration of even Muslims is a very bad idea and will only hurt blacks in America (keep in mind this is coming from the nation of Islam leader). You know its getting bad out there when Louis Farrakhan is talking more sense than the controlled RNC and DNC leaders.

Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:30:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
In 1956 Black urban families had fathers and they worked for a living, kids went to church, learned in school, and parents took care of their kids. In the 60s they marched for freedom while open carrying arms

2016 the black urban family is just about gone. Drugs are rampant, children are born to single mothers, the projects are full of violence, guns are prohibited in most major cities,and prisons are full of black felons.  When they march they destroy and riot.

All because of the war on poverty and the war on drugs. We have had a black president for 8 years and it has only gotten worse.

You tell me which one is better.
View Quote

Oddly enough, blacks made more legitimate forward progress in the 50 years prior to 1965 (back in mean ol' racist America) than they have in the 50 years since.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:31:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I highly doubt that.

Advances in medical science alone have made life better and longer for millions than they were in 1956.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I highly doubt that.

Better and longer don't exactly go hand in hand.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:32:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The gun control act of 1968 was the govt response to civil rights markers marching while openly and legally carry arms.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In 1956 most people were in favor of gun control.

The 1960s gave them gun control.

The crime of the 1970s gave us the start of CCW.

The success of that in lowering crime rates in the 1990s through today is giving us constitutional carry.

America peaks in different things at different times.

Yes, and the NFA of 1934 was a government response to fear of a possible armed uprising against the government over the conditions of the Depression, as some at the time believed the actions of Bonnie and Clyde represented.

Go back and read about the debates going on at the time, and it s quite interesting and eye opening.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I highly doubt that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I highly doubt that.

Measles was apart of life in the 50s.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:37:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Civil rights was going to come with or without the lefts war on America. We didn't have to have a war on morality and the family to achieve it. Sort like those who have been taught the Civil war was over slavery; they are only parroting the left's perception and history revision as it too was ending one way or another. The industrial revolution was coming regardless.

Fact is the black family was decimated as a whole because of the left's war on America. Wait and see how blacks "benefit" from Globalist (the left) mass migration. Even Farrakhan says the Dems are the new plantation owners and mass migration of even Muslims is a very bad idea and will only hurt blacks in America (keep in mind this is coming from the nation of Islam leader). You know its getting bad out there when Louis Farrakhan is talking more sense than the controlled RNC and DNC leaders.        
View Quote

I can't see how blacks can make a case for democrats improving their lives.  Quite the opposite.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:38:42 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I highly doubt that.

So was polio.  I know three people who were born in the 1950s and had it.  All of them have problems.  One uses a wheelchair.  The other two have problems walking.  All three were relatively lucky.

Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I highly doubt that.

You left out fatter.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:40:09 PM EDT
[#34]
My dad always thought the 50's were the best time of his life.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you knew Cas, you wouldn't call him an SJW.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:42:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I highly doubt that.

You really have no idea what you are talking about, do you?

Try telling that to a cancer or heart disease patient who survives a diagnosis today that would have been a death sentence in 1956, and then get back to us with your learnings.

Funny, but I don't think they're going to tell you that they would have preferred dying in exchange for seeing Elvis Presley in concert.

Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:45:06 PM EDT
[#37]
The turning point was LBJ's Great Society, 1965.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:45:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah.  Good thing none of that exists today.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:46:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Try telling that to a cancer or heart disease patient who survives a diagnosis today that would have been a death sentence in 1956, and then get back to us with your learnings.

Funny, but I don't think they're going to tell you that they would have preferred dying in exchange for seeing Elvis Presley in concert.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I highly doubt that.

What's the matter, are you mad, bro?

And what about the legions of old people in nursing homes across the country, enjoying all that longevity by shitting in their pants and babbling?

I think we quite often keep people going long after any quality of life is gone.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:48:29 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There's greater racial tension now.

A lot of today's woman would LOVE to turn back the roles to the "misogynistic" 50's.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#41]
In the 50's, Blacks still were able to work and had to. The Black family was held together.

Now the .gov gives Black women a check for having kids and a penalty if she marries the father.

Its institutional slavery.

In that respect, I think Blacks may have been better off. They had the ability to make their own decisions. After 3 or 4 generations of welfare, the housing projects are the new plantation.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:54:35 PM EDT
[#42]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol

in 1956, we didn't have 24 hour news and the internet.  So you didn't hear about the murder, violence, or rape going on.

Now you get to hear about it...all the time....even though it doesn't happen...all the time...

Yep the statistics show you are FOS

http://www.sentencingproject.org/images/photo/1_US_prison_pop_1925-2013.png

So there are more people in prison today then back in 1925 or in the 50's.
I guess you failed to realize that the population of this nation has grown substantially since those times.
From 1925 to the 50's the population of the US doubled. From the 50's until today the population has doubled yet again.
Based on the stat above one might expect the prison population to be 800k today, but we also have more laws then ever
before, and a more sophisticated justice system.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:55:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
In the 50's, Blacks still were able to work and had to. The Black family was held together.
Now the .gov gives Black women a check for having kids and a penalty if she marries the father.
In that respect, I think Blacks may have been better off. They had the ability to make their own decisions. After 3 or 4 generations of welfare, the housing projects are the new plantation.
View Quote

You do realize that not all black people live in projects, right?
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:57:27 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In 1956, John Wayne, Elvis Presley and Marilyn Monroe were some of the biggest stars in the entertainment world.

In 2016, our young people look up to "stars” like Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga.

In 1956, Americans were watching I Love Lucy and The Ed Sullivan Show on television.

In 2016, the major television networks are offering us trashy shows such as Mistresses and Lucifer.

In 1956, you could buy a first-class stamp for just 3 cents.

In 2016, a first-class stamp will cost you 49 cents.

In 1956, gum chewing and talking in class were some of the major disciplinary problems in our schools.

In 2016, many of our public schools have been equipped with metal detectors because violence has gotten so far out of control.

In 1956, children went outside and played when they got home from school.

In 2016, our parks and our playgrounds are virtually empty and we have the highest childhood obesity rate on the entire planet.

In 1956, if a kid skinned his knee he was patched up and sent back outside to play.

In 2016, if a kid skins his knee he is likely to be shipped off to the emergency room.

Zero Hedge

Family destruction causes more crime.  More crime causes more incarceration.  

Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Making choices except you know voting,  which seat to sit in on a bus, restaurant or movie, drinking fountain to use, which school to go to or who they could marry.

Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:59:17 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

The turning point was LBJ's Great Society, 1965.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/9/2016 2:01:16 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course I do.

I was pointing out an example of things aren't necessarily better now.

Link Posted: 4/9/2016 2:01:27 PM EDT
[#48]
The US has been going downhill since the politicians gave the right to vote to non-taxpayers.

FDR helped accelerate the decline , LBJ pushed the country over the edge.

Obama pretty well finished it off.

Re: 1956.  I was 10 years old then.

Yes we have more houses with running water and electricity and more paved roads.  We have more food available.

But as a nation, we have lost our patriotism, our morality, and our independence.

As always, you have to give up something to get what you want.  And a majority of the voters want a free ride at the cost of liberty.

Enjoy the ride, folks.  You can't get off.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 2:01:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Making choices except you know voting,  which seat to sit in on a bus, restaurant or movie, drinking fountain to use, which school to go to or who they could marry.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem is, too many made the wrong choices - irresponsible choices that were overall bad for society. If there is anything freedom haters hate most, it's that basic reality that humans, free to choose, will make the wrong choices. Therefore, they need constant controls put on them.
Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 2:02:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'd still venture a guess say that's bullshit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd still venture a guess say that's bullshit.

No, you're wrong (IMHO).  Strong middle class, strong economy, strong (for the most part) families with a solid moral foundation, blacks had (while vast problems with the 'system') a strong family and religious tradition, strong military, etc., etc.  
The times have changed and not in a good way - I was alive in 1956 and I do not recall issues of potential rebellion, a fractured society and political parties openly screwing the population (I know, they probably were doing it but not blatantly as today).  It's been a slow spiral downward and most probably haven't either noticed or cared.  
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top